• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
I'm a bit confused at the replies just blaming it on being a musou. Outside of DW9 and a couple of the other Switch ones, they've been solid for like at least ~10 years. Even the Vita releases were surprisingly decent.

I don't agree with calling it unpolished (though it does run terribly).

Yeah also this. I dunno what kinda musous people saying that play, but the ones I touch are usually solid in their performance.

Bedameister

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
I know everyone is shitting on the OP but I feel like Nintendo has basically given up on meeting native resolution for their handheld games and it drives me up a wall πŸ€·πŸ½β€β™€οΈ
Yeah I have to agree that lately there were quite some things that left a sour taste
Pikmin 3 running at 720p is not a good look
3D All-Stars should have more improvements
Link's Awakening's horrible framerate issues not getting fixed

And yeah AoCs Demo didn't run too well. I even got some headache playing the first minutes but got used to it quick. The second mission ran good in docked and handheld imo. I didn't expect much from its performance anyways. I think it's ok. The thread title is hyperbole as hell even though there are things that can be adressed

Last edited:

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
I love how people are hand waving away sub 20fps.
How is this an acceptable level of perfomance?

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
Nintendo games performance throuhput has arguably been pretty poor this gen.

That being said, we're taking about a portable home console. Trade-offs need to be made πŸ€·β€β™€οΈ

Oaklight

Avenger
Jun 16, 2018
I completely agree that the game runs worse than what I would like from an action game like this, especially coming from other recent 60fps action games I've played like dmcv, doom eternal, and even the definitive edition of Hyrule Warriors which at least managed to hit 60fps when nothing was happening on screen. It was a bit jarring playing this game at first and I had a difficult time playing and inputting combos because it felt like I was playing a sideshow.

That being said I still love the game and certainly don't think its an unpolished turd, but it just might be a little too ambitious for the switch at the moment. Action games should absolutely be 60fps but in this case I will forgive it because its Zelda and I'm sure that Switch pro will iron out these issues.

NabiscoFelt

One Winged Slayer
Aug 15, 2019
Different people have different standards of acceptability. Personally I'm not even entirely sure I would've noticed the frame drops if it weren't for people talking about them.

Sure, it should be better, but for me that's more of an academic discussion than a personal one

SpokkX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I agree

this the shittiest nintendo game i have ever played from a polish stand point

omg that framerate - i actually hard rebooted my switch immediately and retried the game. I thought something was actually wrong

Oct 25, 2017
Wait, Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance?
Yeah. Was a broke student at the time and my PC had a hard time running the game(Both CPU and GPU were outdated). But the game was so good that i couldn't be bothered. I remember running a framecounter on the PC and at the start of the mission/chapter 1 or 2(The one you disembarks on a beach?) It was hitting 11~13 fps.

Oct 25, 2017

Sometimes people just have fun, idk. I havent looked at the DF coverage or whatever but I played the whole demo and had a blast. Did not think about the framerate once (trying to thinj of something recently that registered like that for me recently. Control at launch on ps4i guess, that was impossible to miss). It just be like that sometimes πŸ€·β€β™‚οΈ

Eriol

Oct 27, 2017
Santiago, Chile
The avatar you use OP and this thread is an unpolished turd

Joking aside, yeah I noticed the drops, specifically hitting barrels, and also in the trailer, the Goron divine beast seemed the worst on framerate.

It didn't bother much because I was having a lot of fun.

Spider-Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If it wasn't for AC being delayed to 2020 well before COVID this year would have been one of the worst in a long time.

Heruderu

Oct 29, 2017
after a Zelda with erratic frame rate that Nintendo never bothered patching, all bets were off.
Never bothered patching? Are you talking about BotW? Because I believe they tried to improve performance more than once.

EDIT: if you were talking about Link's Awakening, I take that back. You're totally right, there, even if it wasn't the Zelda team.

Last edited:

Zombegoast

Oct 30, 2017
I never cared about the framerate in Hyrule Warrior on the Wii U. But here it's distracting.

Nintendo needs to allow the Switch CPU to be overclocked in game.

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If it wasn't for AC being delayed to 2020 well before COVID this year would have been one of the worst in a long time.
I mean, the shit load of people who bought and are loving Mario 3D All Stars would disagree with you.

I realize it's a collection of ports or whatever, but the point is - Nintendo has released some absolute bangers this year, in terms of crowd-pleasers.

Spider-Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, the shit load of people who bought and are loving Mario 3D All Stars would disagree with you.

I realize it's a collection of ports or whatever, but the point is - Nintendo has released some absolute bangers this year, in terms of crowd-pleasers.

Yeah I'm comparing output to actual full new releases from their first party studios, high profile releases.

AC would be the only one this year I would classify in that range.

Deleted member 18324

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's contingent upon the number of unpolished Nintendo Licensed games that came out and whose problems have been brushed off because "I don't see frame rate, IDK what you're talking about lol look how many AC sold !". Kirby, Yoshi, Fire Emblem 3H, Link's awakening, the rom dump, Pikmin 3 being fucking 576p, and there're more.

None of these are "unpolished turds" though, in the majority of cases these are minor performance issues with otherwise polished and feature-complete games. Maybe you should examine your level of emotional investment when you refuse to call 3D Allstars by it's name and come out with stuff like this. If you want people to stop buying the games to punish Nintendo financially or whatever then you're basically wasting your time railing against people who have told you up-front they don't care about the framerate? Like, I care about performance enough to game primarily on PC, but at the end of the day I have to make peace with the fact that I'm unfortunately buying into a closed platform with fixed hardware to get at these exclusive games, and by their nature they will have performance issues on a system that is designed to allow handheld play.

Soul Lab

Nov 17, 2017
But I see this all the time from people here. I already said I don't agree with the premise of the thread in a previous post, but that doesn't mean people should be as lazy with their arguments as OP is. That's just me though. I put way too much faith in this community to have measured discussions about anything these days so more fool me I suppose.
diplomacy has failed

Mimosa

Community & Social Media Manager
Verified
Oct 23, 2019
What is this thread? πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

I thought this was trolling at first.

Look, I definitely don't disagree that AoC could use a generous bucket of polish, but calling it an "unpolished turd"??

lmaoo y'all too much

LongDongJunon

Nov 13, 2017
Damn, the apology tour in full force.

This demo ran like trash ultimately distracting me from the fun I know I would normally be having from playing musou games regularly on other systems. I played the last hyrule warriors and friggin loved it! This one so far is pretty rough though and it's very much okay to point that out.

Last edited:

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Few had a performance mode that tanked resolution tho to get that
Yeah but this game runs at a resolution below what would be expected of a performance mode, and at a framerate below what would be expected of a quality mode.

You take the IQ of the performance mode of FEW, the framerate of the quality mode of FEW, you make them even worse, and you get this game's IQ and framerate

MLH

Oct 26, 2017
The game seems really well crafted. I can see a lot of thought and care went into creating an experience that resembles BOTW. I have nothing but praise for it in that regard.
There's some obvious compromises, considering BOTW had framerate problems (in Lost Woods) with a lot less action, but it's far from "unpolished turd"
The choice to create a faithful recreation of BOTW with Dynasty Warriors levels of action means it will struggle (I worry about Lost Woods level in this game).

In their position I'm not sure what I would do; Create smaller, restricted environments to reduce polygons? Drop the enemy numbers? People would complain there's not enough action for a Warriors game or be underwhelmed by the pre-calamity world which they were looking forward to explore.
Or once the Switch Pro is announced and people look to that and complain that developer vision was held back because of weaker hardware. There's no winning.
The compromises are acceptable IMO, but it's at the line. I think the game is perfectly playable, looks great and is beautifully crafted.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Errr, the game seemed perfectly fine? I only played in console mode, but I didn't notice any severe performance issues. Is the framerate really an issue, or are you just making it an issue?
No, the OP is definitely hyperbolic, but this is just false. The game (at least this demo) doesn't run perfectly fine. We'll have to wait and see if the final version that releases later this month is improved.
Sadly when an OP beings with a terribly hyperbolic statement, people will counter that with more hyperbole or dismissive statements. I'm sure if the OP had framed things differently while still mentioning the less-than-ideal performance, discussion would be better.

Grayonx

Banned
Oct 15, 2020
Get your eyes tested if you claim to have not noticed frame rate drops with this game.

I loved BOTW, its one of my favourite games of all time and Hyrule Warriors looks really fun also but the framerate needs to be stable, at least at 30 fps to even make this game playable.

Heruderu

Oct 29, 2017
The thing that gets me is people saying "I didn't notice any issues."

Like "it doesn't bother me" is one thing, but I simply cannot believe someone could play the first level of the demo and not notice it runs like hot ass lol
I saw many people saying they didn't notice performance issues in many games for many years to know that this type of people exists. I don't know, maybe they don't play games with full attention? It seems weird, even for someone like me who isn't bothered.

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
diplomacy has failed

5965.jpg

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
Also op there is a pandemic going on right now and many companies kind of struggle with work from home

In this case they all should delay their games instead of releasing unfinished games for good money. this excuse is just bollocks, these are not free things, they cost money, people can expect some quality and not badly optimized or purely broken games like the Avengers game.

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
I saw many people saying they didn't notice performance issues in many games for many years to know that this type of people exists. I don't know, maybe they don't play games with full attention? It seems weird, even for someone like me who isn't bothered.
Motion blindness is a thing. Unless the game drops under the 10s, some players won't notice the slowdowns.

Efejota

Mar 13, 2018
Do you'all think it might have to do with the grass? The game seems to count how much you have cut or burned.

I didn't mind these problems at all since you get used to it after a couple of minutes, but the resolution is a bit low, yeah. Specially when you have the original botw to compare them to.

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
I believe is not the framerate, but the frame times since the game is a bit teary. Anyways, I tried the demo and I had a very good time, performance was always great.
At the end of the day, I glad there is a demo and people can make an informed decision. The OP sounds mad tho.

Zoantharia

Oct 30, 2017
It's not great, that's for sure. But despite the frame rate I found the demo surprisingly fun and very playable. Probably doesn't hurt that there isn't a whole lot of precision involved when it comes to musou gameplay (at least at my level...). I'll admit KT hasn't been the best at optimising for Switch but considering the demands this game has to put on the system (needing to look like BOTW while simultaneously rendering like 100x the number of enemies at once when even BOTW started to chug when there were a few too many on screen...) I think it's a little unfair to jump to the conclusion that it's 'unfinished'. Full disclosure before I get pegged as a sort of shill, I don't even intend to buy the game.

Stairouais

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
France
None of these are "unpolished turds" though, in the majority of cases these are minor performance issues with otherwise polished and feature-complete games. Maybe you should examine your level of emotional investment when you refuse to call 3D Allstars by it's name and come out with stuff like this. If you want people to stop buying the games to punish Nintendo financially or whatever then you're basically wasting your time railing against people who have told you up-front they don't care about the framerate? Like, I care about performance enough to game primarily on PC, but at the end of the day I have to make peace with the fact that I'm unfortunately buying into a closed platform with fixed hardware to get at these exclusive games, and by their nature they will have performance issues on a system that is designed to allow handheld play.

It's one thing to not being bothered by framerate or resolution, It's another to have people telling that the game runs perfectly fine for them like it's some sort of subjective problem.
Yes I'm emotionaly invested enough in Nintendo games to vent like this on a video game board.
And it's fustrating to see them doing the bare minimum and still being somehow seen as the company that delivers the most polished experiences because of a few good examples (Ring Fit Adventure, Odyssey).

Status
Not open for further replies.