• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
I'm someone who loves multiplayer games, especially competitive first person shooters. I'm enjoying Destiny 2, Modern Warfare, Apex Legends, Battlefield V and on the side I'm getting into FFXIV and I'm nearing the end of Death Stranding. But I feel guilty spending time playing any one game over the others with the battle passes going on in each of those first three games. I'll permanently miss weapons, armor, outfits, emotes, drop music, etc in games I love because I can't finish the battle pass in all of them and I'm not going to spend hundreds of dollars a month to get started.

I get it, these developers are spending time and money to create this additional content, but missing these things make me feel like I'm missing part of the complete package. I enjoy the way battle passes constantly hand things out and incentivize varying your playstyle to complete challenges. But damn it I want to be able to keep up with all the games I like and my completionist tendencies make me feel guilt for choosing instead of joy for playing. blehhh

Deleted member 46489

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 7, 2018
No offense, OP, but this is such a weird post. You don't like the fact that you are unable to acquire cosmetic content in games you don't spend enough time playing?

I, too, don't like the fact that I am unable to enjoy all the great games I can't find the time to play.

Oct 27, 2017
You are a victim of your own mentality, the collector's/completionist mentality.

The games do not punish you, you are just not collecting skins and cosmetics in most cases. Destiny 2 is a looter shooter by design, but competitive games either never package gameplay components, or make it easy to get afterwards.

Trace

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I just ignore battle passes. I don't have the time or energy to want to spend on those. Who cares if I miss stuff, there will probably be another multiplayer game I'll be playing in a year or two instead and all those cosmetics I "missed" wouldn't matter anyway.

Oct 27, 2017
Get over it. Be happy with what you are playing when you are playing. Dont fall into the trap of feeling left behind. If something is really really good in the game it wont be going anywhere.

Kalem

May 23, 2019
I'm someone who loves multiplayer games, especially competitive first person shooters. I'm enjoying Destiny 2, Modern Warfare, Apex Legends, Battlefield V and on the side I'm getting into FFXIV and I'm nearing the end of Death Stranding. But I feel guilty spending time playing any one game over the others with the battle passes going on in each of those first three games. I'll permanently miss weapons, armor, outfits, emotes, drop music, etc in games I love because I can't finish the battle pass in all of them and I'm not going to spend hundreds of dollars a month to get started.

I get it, these developers are spending time and money to create this additional content, but missing these things make me feel like I'm missing part of the complete package. I enjoy the way battle passes constantly hand things out and incentivize varying your playstyle to complete challenges. But damn it I want to be able to keep up with all the games I like and my completionist tendencies make me feel guilt for choosing instead of joy for playing. blehhh
That's pretty much the idea, time spent in other games it's time you're not spending in this game in particular. So either you keep your engagement high or you purchase battle pass tiers (if that's possible on that particular game). Either way, they win.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
It's the exact reason I actively stay away from multiplayer games or games that specifically mention they are trying to be a Gaas, I knew it wasn't for me right after Destiny 1 launched and have been disappointed every time I try a new one.

Oct 26, 2017
Because now it's the fault of developers and publishers releasing too many games/content?

Thank GOD there is a lot of variety for MP experiences lmao

I play Siege, Dota 2 and Apex and i'm set, i don't need other MP games.

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well, yeah. I don't see how this can be avoided. The publishers will want options to reward the most engaged players who pay the most money.

I don't like GaaS and don't care for multiplayer but if you accept that as a thing for first-person shooters this can't be avoided.

I love open-world games but by their nature I just won't have time to play them all.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
OP is right, it feels like modern online multiplayer games are designed to be played as though you have "one" online game. I end up either not playing these games or dipping my toes in them for a handful of hours before dropping them as a result of this

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Get past your fear of missing out. Realize that all of these little rewards don't matter all that much in the grand scheme of things. Life becomes far simpler when you don't care about these sort of things.

Angst

Oct 27, 2017
Because now it's the fault of developers and publishers releasing too many games/content?

Thank GOD there is a lot of variety for MP experiences lmao

I play Siege, Dota 2 and Apex and i'm set, i don't need other MP games.
No its the fault of developers making content time sensitive that is lost forever at a certain point.

Its arbitrary and doesn't need to be designed like that.

Tohsaka

Nov 17, 2017
Stop playing GaaS, the entire business model relies on making you feel the way you are.

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
It's one reason I won't play any GaaS games anymore, I have a collector mentality if I really like a game, and having to constantly juggle sucked and just in the end made me decide to ditch them completely.

P A Z

Oct 27, 2017
Barnsley, UK
MP games just aren't designed anymore for people to unlock everything they want at a reasonable rate. Of course they wouldn't be because they have to find a way to sell mtx.

I just stick with Rocket League as my default now and play something else whenever it takes my fancy, I don't stress over not unlocking cosmetics.

DSP

Oct 25, 2017
battle pass junk has no impact on gameplay. Stop obessing over virtual clothing, you will be fine.

EchoChamber

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I just miss the old way to unlocking everything when I wanted :( now even the master chief collection has that crap.

Oct 26, 2017
No its the fault of developers making content time sensitive that is lost forever at a certain point.

Its arbitrary and doesn't need to be designed like that.

Who says it does not need to be design like that? You?

They are free to do whatever they want with their own product, there are people that are engaged is some titles, spending hours every day and they deserve to have as much content as possible, the developers ain't waiting or holding back the content because there are some people that does not have time to play their games.

I mean, i play Siege since 2016, Dota 2 since 2014 and Apex since this year, yes i missed several events for all games, but it's not a big deal, i'm playing to have fun, not to collect skins and accessories.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
Locking content out of the game if someone doesn't get to it fast enough is dumb.

It does nothing but punish players.

Not all content is meant for all players, and that's okay too. Some content is meant for the most dedicated and invested players. Some content is meant for the most hardcore and skillful players. Some content is meant for most players. Some for all players.

It is not done so to punish players at all. :)

Retsudo

Shinra Employee
Oct 28, 2017
Well either stop caring over missing some stuff, or drop some mp games from your rotation.

Angst

Oct 27, 2017
Not all content is meant for all players, and that's okay too. Some content is meant for the most dedicated and invested players. Some content is meant for the most hardcore and skillful players. Some content is meant for most players. Some for all players.

It is not done so to punish players at all. :)
Gotta be honest, can't agree there. You are basically saying that this content is only available to players who play our game at this time. If they can't, they lose out.

There is no good reason (from a game design standpoint) to do that. Letting players pick up old rewards later hurts no one. The only good reason to not do so is from a monetary perspective and not a game design one.

Angst

Oct 27, 2017
Who says it does not need to be design like that? You?

They are free to do whatever they want with their own product, there are people that are engaged is some titles, spending hours every day and they deserve to have as much content as possible, the developers ain't waiting or holding back the content because there are some people that does not have time to play their games.

I mean, i play Siege since 2016, Dota 2 since 2014 and Apex since this year, yes i missed several events for all games, but it's not a big deal, i'm playing to have fun, not to collect skins and accessories.
I'm saying it makes the games worse. Of course they are able to do whatever they want with there product. I never said otherwise. But as a consumer I'm also able to criticize the decisions they make with their product.

Whats your point?

Oct 26, 2017
Gotta be honest, can't agree there. You are basically saying that this content is only available to players who play our game at this time. If they can't, they lose out.

There is no good reason (from a game design standpoint) to do that. Letting players pick up old rewards later hurts no one. The only good reason to not do so is from a monetary perspective and not a game design one.

And this is still a better system than the old ass: "Buy this expensive ass DLC or Season Pass" or you can't get post-game content AT ALL.

I'm saying it makes the games worse. Of course they are able to do whatever they want with there product. I never said otherwise. But as a consumer I'm also able to criticize the decisions they make with their product.

Whats your point?

So missing out on cosmetics makes the game worse? Are you playing to have fun or to dress your characters?

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
OP is not wrong. The influx of retention-based gameplay systems in a lot of games makes keeping up with them a chore. It's very much the case with TCGs where the missed rewards are not just cosmetic.

The systems are loved by those who have more time than money, but for people working 40 hours a week, suddenly the inverse is true.

AllMight1

Oct 27, 2017
I play Battlefront 2, Rocket league and apex, but i choose to ignore the battle passes, because i cant spend too much time on them and i dont like spending money on dlc.

You have 2 choices OP. Either you stop caring about these battle passes/cosmetics too much, or you play less games and continue caring for these battle passes.

Oct 25, 2017
I had to stop playing games with battle passes because I became too obsessed with collecting everything. I wasn't even playing for fun, I was just playing to collect stuff.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
Hasn't this always been true in part? If you stop playing a MP game for a while, upon return you were behind the new meta/strategies and your skills had deteriorated.

Today this is amped up by the season passes. Publishers/developers want you to engage with the game on a daily or at least weekly basis. I haven't played Destiny 2 since mid November and feel like I am light years behind.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
You don't have to consume everything. Better get used to it, it's only going to get worse as you get older.

OP
OP
Oct 25, 2017
First, not all time-sensitive content is cosmetic. The first season of Modern Warfare has two guns in its battle pass. I'm not sure if they'll be free later on, but the only way to get them at the moment is to play the game a lot. Battlefield V does something similar, placing weapons behind weekly challenge sequences. If you miss a week you can still unlock them with in-game currency that is easy to earn, so it isn't too bad.

Second, I don't appreciate being called weird for my personality traits and psychological weaknesses. These systems are designed to target people like me and I don't think I should be blamed for feeling the way I do, even if most of what I'm missing isn't of any real consequence. I know I'm going to miss it anyway, but missing things isn't meant to feel good, and it's easier for some to not care than it is for others.

GenTask

Nov 15, 2017
BFV battle weeks are also exacerbated by the game mechanic of also having to 'progress' your weapon or vehicle. So not only does one miss unlocking extras (although in retrospect unnecessary) but longer absence from the game means trying to level up your stuff against the good grinding players that are left.

Deleted member 54292

Banned
Feb 27, 2019
No offense, OP, but this is such a weird post. You don't like the fact that you are unable to acquire cosmetic content in games you don't spend enough time playing?

I, too, don't like the fact that I am unable to enjoy all the great games I can't find the time to play.
bro if I don't play Destiny this season the activity will literally be gone next season. Shit sucks.

Oct 26, 2017
BFV battle weeks are also exacerbated by the game mechanic of also having to 'progress' your weapon or vehicle. So not only does one miss unlocking extras (although in retrospect unnecessary) but longer absence from the game means trying to level up your stuff against the good grinding players that are left.

And grinding weapons and attachments was a thing even during last gen, nothing new then.

If you picked up a COD or a BF game months after release you'd have the same issue, players with all the guns already unlocked vs you starting at lvl 1, this has been a thing for years.

Cels

Oct 26, 2017
contrary to what many in here are saying, i agree with OP to a certain extent

today, games are designed to exacerbate and prey on your FOMO. games will include time-limited events, time-limited cosmetics, etc. to induce you to play regularly. it isn't enough anymore to offer a good enjoyable game to play in and of itself as there is too much competition.

two examples in recent memory -
Overwatch has done seasonal events since the start, but those events and unlockable cosmetics would always return annually -- now, they are doing time-limited skins that you have to unlock by playing the event. if you miss it you're out of luck.
Before Season 8 of Destiny 2, everything in the game has always been available. However, Destiny 2 now includes quests, weapons, armors, triumphs, titles, and even activities that can only be obtained or played during a particular season.

the answer is to stop caring less, but for the compulsive among us that can be hard

EchoChamber

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
First, not all time-sensitive content is cosmetic. The first season of Modern Warfare has two guns in its battle pass. I'm not sure if they'll be free later on, but the only way to get them at the moment is to play the game a lot. Battlefield V does something similar, placing weapons behind weekly challenge sequences. If you miss a week you can still unlock them with in-game currency that is easy to earn, so it isn't too bad.

Second, I don't appreciate being called weird for my personality traits and psychological weaknesses. These systems are designed to target people like me and I don't think I should be blamed for feeling the way I do, even if most of what I'm missing isn't of any real consequence. I know I'm going to miss it anyway, but missing things isn't meant to feel good, and it's easier for some to not care than it is for others.

I mean read somewhere they are designed to be predatory, it's pretty disgusting that almost everyone is defending this shit here.

catswaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
it is ok to not get the items from the videogame. people whipping themselves up into fomo are just torturing themselves over silly videogames -- play the game if you like it, get the things you get when you play it, and dont worry about anything else.

This stuff is absolutely designed to be predatory, but theres no reason to work yourself up into being even more preyed upon. just ignore the shit and play the game.

Oct 25, 2017
I started Rocket League over the holidays to play a few matches and noticed a battle pass that was already 20 days in. There was no way for me to finish it (or it is much more difficult) because I'm late to it so I might as well not play the game at all.

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
It isn't the end all be all but pretending that aesthetics are incidental to the game experience is absurd.

OP
OP
Oct 25, 2017
good luck trying to gather up everything in ff 14
Thankfully I've promised myself going in that I'm in it for the story and music that everyone keeps praising it for, I've played MMOs before and the impossibility of collecting everything in those games keeps me from getting hooked. It's the nature of battle passes that playing a tiny bit more will get you the next thing that grabs me.

I'm super thankful that the system added to Halo MCC will not lock out previous seasons so I don't feel obligated to play it to get everything.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I 100% agree. Battle passes for multiple games mean you can never finish all of them. And it always sucks buying a battle pass for a game because its what you are currently playing.... and then you want to play something else or something else takes your attention away. So you make it like halfway through it and see it as a waste of money.

Thankfully, I've been getting better at managing it myself.

Even though I made enough credits last season in Apex, I didn't buy the BP for this season since I knew I'd be playing less. I no longer care about going for the challenges.

I straight up ignored the new destiny stuff.

Didn't bother with RL pass.

I think I'm much happier for it. I've stopped caring about trying to play a game because I can't fall behind. Instead I play whatever sounds the most fun at the moment

Ralemont

Jan 3, 2018
I started Rocket League over the holidays to play a few matches and noticed a battle pass that was already 20 days in. There was no way for me to finish it (or it is much more difficult) because I'm late to it so I might as well not play the game at all.

Rocket League's a pretty classic example of easily ignoring any of that stuff though because the core gameplay's good enough. So I don't understand saying you might as well not play at all.

Deleted member 21709

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
OP has a very valid point. I personally think no games should have 'missable' content. I'll grind for it, but don't give me a time limit.

Ultimately, developers are shooting themselves in the foot. The constant, relentless grind will cause burnout. And once you miss out on too much exclusive stuff you might just drop the game entirely. FOMO is a double edged sword.

Rocket League's a pretty classic example of easily ignoring any of that stuff though because the core gameplay's good enough. So I don't understand saying you might as well not play at all.

This is why I dropped RL. I bought the first BP but I just didn't have the time, the grind seemed immense. Haven't played since. (I played hundreds of hours before the BP)

You are ignoring why the BP/cosmetic items exist in the first place. That stuff might not affect you, but others are.