• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

elzeus

Oct 30, 2017
If they do something like that I hope they come up with a better production process so the hand drawn stuff doesn't take so long to implement. That would free up more time for them to work on the game since they're a smaller team.

Ecks

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Let em make a Zelda 2 style game with their talents. Would be plenty of fun.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't want this to happen because I have full faith that Nintendo would meddle in the worldbuilding/gameplay areas. "Sorry you are not allowed to depict the golden goddesses" "Please do not imply that the blue fish zora and the ugly classic zora are related" "You only get 5 dungeons, no more" etc.
Meanwhile they just had a spin-off that let a crossover character use the Triforce of Power and gave Gohma a pair of maracas.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
We just got Cadence of Hyrule from an Indie developer.
Yes, but that's Crypt of the necrodancer with a zelda skin. What Nintendo won't be doing is letting random indie teams make actual Zelda games, which is what the quote sounds like the developer wants to do.

As for a Zelda skinned cuphead , which would actually be the equivalent to what cadence of hyrule is? Well cuphead doesn't lend itself to the Zelda style at all, so that ain't happening either. The suggestion of splatoon from the first page would make way more sense.

Wing Scarab

Banned
Nov 1, 2017

Akela

Oct 28, 2017
In a similar vain it would be amazing to see them tackle a PS1-era, Final Fantasy-esque RPG, but with hand drawn cutscenes and battle animations instead of pre-rendered and real time 3D. Aesthetically something closer to the golden age of animation (Snow White, Pinocchio) would be a good fit as well.

Which I suppose is probably closer to what they're imagining based on that quote.

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017
I think a lot of devs would.
Obviously, but if Nintendo wants to extend their partnership with indies then studios responsible for critically acclaimed hits like Cuphead are obviously first choice. Disregarding that he obviously was just dreaming out loud.

I think the biggest issue here would be that Nintendo is unlikely to look for partners who want to develop a traditional entry for one of Nintendo's IPs. Cadence works because it got an entirely different hook than traditional Zelda titles, but when you propose a traditional 2D Zelda but with fancy graphics Nintendo would likely be like: Nah, we can do that ourselves, thanks.

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
Btw what happened to Cuphead DLC?
I was expecting something at E3

Raiden

Nov 6, 2017
https://www.destructoid.com/the-cuphead-devs-would-love-to-make-a-zelda-game-558039.phtml

Though I love Cuphead, I always thought it weird to pair a run and gun shooter with the hand drawn 2d animated aesthetic and that a platform or adventure game would be better suited to that style. I'd love to see a Zelda type game in the Cuphead style.
I bought Cuphead thinking it was a platformer heh.

I dont really feel it perse, a Zelda in that style, but they can sure try!

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Make a satiricial 2D RPG with Cuphead. You actually managed to create pretty cool world and designs, build upon them.

Aprikurt

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 29, 2017
I don't want this to happen because I have full faith that Nintendo would meddle in the worldbuilding/gameplay areas. "Sorry you are not allowed to depict the golden goddesses" "Please do not imply that the blue fish zora and the ugly classic zora are related" "You only get 5 dungeons, no more" etc.
I mean I don't know where you pulled this nonsense from, we just had a Zelda spinoff where the Armos Knights are a guitar-toting rock trio...

djinnEXE

Oct 25, 2017
If they want to make a regular Zelda adventure game i don't think it will happen
If I remember correctly, an interview with the MarioxRabbits devs revealed Nintendo specifically telling them not to make a game in a genre they had already used for said IP.

Cadence of Hyrule is a rhythm game so Cuphead devs should come up with a pitch that isn't just regular zelda in a different art style

giapel

Oct 28, 2017
Ok, how is Metroid better suited for them? They've demonstrated a flair for 2D art, animation and varied bosses. Key to metroid is level design, exploration gameplay and nonlinearity. None of which have been demonstrated with Cuphead.
At this stage we can only talk about their general talent.

Kreed

The Negro Historian
Oct 25, 2017
If they make it look like this, I'll dig it:
ZeldaArt.png

This would be great, or a Mario game in Yoichi Kotabe's art style.

TurdFerguson

Oct 28, 2017
Norway
A Zelda game in Cuphead's style sounds like the most unappealing shit ever. Hard pass.

Who said anything about actually using Cupheads style? I'm sure the artists at Studio MDHR knows how to draw stuff other than the 1930's cartoon style they used for Cuphead.

Nintendo needs outside development partners, both to boost their game output, but I also think it is healthy creatively. I for one love the Flagship-developed Zelda titles, not to mention Cadence of Hyrule.

Jun 26, 2018
Who said anything about actually using Cupheads style? I'm sure the artists at Studio MDHR knows how to draw stuff other than the 1930's cartoon style they used for Cuphead.

Nintendo needs outside development partners, both to boost their game output, but I also think it is healthy creatively. I for one love the Flagship-developed Zelda titles, not to mention Cadence of Hyrule.

Other posters were talking about wanting a Zelda in a Cuphead style.

I'm not opposed to Nintendo lending their IPs to outside developers or even indies, but studio MDHR is not high on the list of developers I'd like to see a Zelda game from.

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah because making a shooter means that's all they know how to do.

And no where in his post did he suggest that it should be free to everyone to use. Comprehension is something that exist.
I mean, yes, that is the gameplay theyve mastered in Cuphead to a ridiculously good degree. Many devs stick to what they know they do good.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Zelda's been way overdone. I would rather them make that Master System version of Cuphead they mentioned or other Sega-inspired stuff.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Finally, we haven't had a Tingle game in a while and the second one was never released outside of Japan.

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
Damn reading some of these replies, whoog

Dev: It would be a dream to make this game
Era: No, you would be better suited making this other game

Is MDHR aware they can only make run and gun 30s cartoon games?
Lmao exactly, it's good to see that "team makes one style of thing, that's all they can do and anything in a different genre is incomprehensible" isn't something that is only applied to movie directors

Someone mentioned the rule Nintendo has about not lending their IP to be used in the same style of game Nintendo already makes (IE lending Mario to be in a platformer, Cadence of Hyrule being a rhythm game) but didn't they do just that with F-Zero and Sega, and StarFox with Ubisoft? Though F-Zero was eons ago and I guess StarFox could be excused as just a cameo and not an actual full proper StarFox game... (plus they aren't exactly in the same tier as Mario and Zelda) hrmm :\

I'd be super interested in seeing what kind of action RPG the Cuphead devs would make, with or without the Zelda license. Would the overworld be top-down and dungeons side-scrolling? Would dungeons also be top-down? Would the entire thing be side-scrolling like Adventures of Link? What kind of art style would they go with and would in just be purely aesthetic or would it influence the gameplay in some way? MDHR are extraordinarily talented but it's a double-edged sword if they continue to do hand painted/animated games, since it'll take so long in between releases. I can't even imagine how expensive a fully hand animated Zelda adventure game would be, let alone how long it would take to complete. How long was Cuphead in development for again?