• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
Before anyone blames NetFlix for this for some reason IT WAS SHOWRUNNERS DECISION!

Kinda shame as The Crown is really good series, but same time if he feels that 5 seasons puts timeline and story where he wants it for the end then so be it. No point keeping good thing going just because and water it down in process.

5th season is to be expected in 2021.

Netflix's hit drama series about the British royal family will end with season five, creator and showrunner Peter Morgan has revealed, with Imelda Staunton confirmed as taking the golden baton from Olivia Colman as Queen Elizabeth for the final season.

"At the outset I had imagined The Crown running for six seasons but now that we have begun work on the stories for season five it has become clear to me that this is the perfect time and place to stop," said Morgan. "I'm grateful to Netflix and Sony for supporting me in this decision."
"The first three seasons of The Crown defined an era, and I know the upcoming fourth season will build further on that success," said Netflix vp, original content Cindy Holland.

"It's a stunning example of award-winning entertainment, created in the U.K. and loved by millions of fans around the world. I fully support Peter Morgan's creative decision and am excited to see how he, Imelda Staunton and the cast and crew of season five, bring this landmark series to a fitting and spectacular end."

Source: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/l...season-5-imelda-staunton-set-as-queen-1275282

Fatmanp

Oct 27, 2017
So I am assuming S4 is going to be about Diana. What is the likely timeline for 5?

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
I guess they'll go to 2000, otherwise they'd have to cover 9/11, The Queen Mother and Princess Margaret dying, Charles marrying Camilla, etc.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
I expect season 4 will be set in the 80s, with Diana - and then the last in the 90s with her death in 1997 and aftermath.

Coincidentally that's the plot of the movie The Queen which the show runners created.

I guess they'll go to 2000, otherwise they'd have to cover 9/11, The Queen Mother and Princess Margaret dying, Charles marrying Camilla, etc.

Yeah I'm surprised they don't want to cover all of this....This show is a masterpiece and I would love to have it cover up to current day.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Season 4 should have tons of material: starting with Mountbatten killing ('79), Thatcher ('79-'90), Diana wedding ('81), the Falklands war ('82), Brighton bombing ('84) and Enniskillin ('87), miners strike ('84-'85). I suppose Season 5 will be in the 90's, maybe starting with the Gulf War in '91 and ending with Diana's death in '97.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Liz got to them.

I suppose more recent stuff is too known depending how far season 5 goes.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
i still need to watch this show

I'm an American who up to now knew barely anything of the British royalty and I find it completely captivating. Every episode has me researching everything online - because there's some things that appear to be "common knowledge" that aren't explained but I'm not aware of it. Regardless it's a wonderful show.

PantherLotus

Oct 27, 2017
Love this show. 5 seasons feels right. I expect S4 is 80s Thatcher and Diana, S5 is 90s with the babies and Diana's eventual death, likely ending with Liz wistfilly/regretfully staring out the window of Buckingham as the masses collect in love that she'll never quite feel.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
well there's not much point going beyond Diana anyway, next season could be Thatcher.and Diana's marriage and Season 6 could be about gulf war and Diana's death.

jwk94

Oct 25, 2017
So is this accessible for people who know nothing about royalty aside from there being kings and queens and princes and Princesses?

John Dunbar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i haven't seen a single episode, but i've seen this get tons of praise, so i must ask: is this monarchy propaganda or does it offer some criticism of the whole idea of royalty?

OP
OP
Tovarisc

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
So is this accessible for people who know nothing about royalty aside from there being kings and queens and princes and Princesses?

As being on of those people (I know / knew extremely little about UK Royalty) I would say yes.

Show is great.

i haven't seen a single episode, but i've seen this get tons of praise, so i must ask: is this monarchy propaganda or does it offer some criticism of the whole idea of royalty?

Show isn't about being pro or anti monarchy, it's dramatized take on their lives through major events during their time. Here and there is discussions about meaning of monarchy and why it should it exist if it even should, but no hard pro or anti agenda.

Deleted member 55966

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 15, 2019
Very. As an American not knowing much about British royalty I was never lost.

I'd say the main focus is on the relationships between the royal family and the queen and parliament. Events that happen are more settings for the story they want to tell rather than them espousing to camera how necessary or great their decisions are.

NookSports

Oct 27, 2017
I've come out of it disliking them even more, if it's an indication.

For me the show's biggest propaganda piece is
they make such a big deal of how much the royals "sacrifice" being able to give their opinions freely in public, and the show presents a lot of Elizabeth's awful decisions as a noble thing done to protect the impartiality of the crown.

iWannaHat

Jul 1, 2019
Overall it's great, the only thing I take issue with is that it leaves it up in the air whether Philip had an affair. He did. Lots of them.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Bad Advice

Jan 8, 2019
well it does show the monarchy turning into a bit of a circus for the masses and how the royals deal with it. when liz became Queen monarchy was seen way more reverently and it changed quite a bit during her reign.

wollywinka

Feb 15, 2018
I think it will end with 2002's Golden Jubilee, which represented the start of her rehabilitation..

ThatThomas

Sep 3, 2018
I was irrationally bothered by what would've been a real structural asymmetry with the last set of cast members only getting one season as opposed to the "usual" two, so this is nothing but good news to me.

I think it will end with 2002's Golden Jubilee, which represented the start of her rehabilitation..
Assuming (as seems likely) that Season 4 is the Thatcher era (through to 1990), I think they'd probably have to go further into the 2000s than 2002 for two more full seasons. Charles and Camilla's wedding mid-decade seems like it'd be a significant inclusion.

MaxAugust

Jan 28, 2018
Do you think season 6 will deal with the paedophilia allegations against the prince? It'd be weird for the show to not touch on that if they go for that timeline.
My understanding is that they are still going to end way before that. The extra season is just to allow them to move more slowly. I'd bet they end in the early 2000s.

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Great series, liked it a lot. And I'm ready for more.

and I'm not interested in the royals at all lol.

ThatThomas

Sep 3, 2018
Now they just have to find enough money to deage Michael Sheen so he can reprise his Tony Blair :p

Deleted member 5359

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wish they'd keep going through today, with the queen's "we'll meet again" speech at the start of the global pandemic and all of the Harry/Meghan Markle drama. But I doubt the showrunners would be willing to confront the British press about their displays of racism.

Also, the happiest ending for this show would be the abolition of the monarchy.