• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

WillyFive

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Wonderful show, I liked the first season but it's pacing wasn't that great; but this season had me glued to the screen.

And yeah, in a show full of brilliant casting, whoever they had for JFK was laughable.

Oct 25, 2017
I think the entire way they handled JFK was my biggest issue.
Actor was terrible and he was basically 1 episode and done, for that kinda take on a figure you got to give it a bit more time at least.

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia
I dunno, one episode makes sense to me. It's not like JFK and the Queen were constantly talking. There was clearly a tremendous effect but not necessarily a lasting one.

Dexter was a pretty weird choice, but hey, it wasn't about him, it was about his wife. So it's pretty easy for me to let it slide. I guess if they cut the finale into a later episode it would have felt more historical, but it also would have derailed their other storyline. So as a non-American it was alright

Chumley

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The JFK casting was god awful, same with Jackie but less so. That was one of the few low points of the entire season.

Darth Pinche

Oct 27, 2017
Just finished the second season and thought it was wonderful! Episode 9 was harrowing and explains alot about Charles. Matt Smith did a great job, I adored him as the Doctor, but totally loathed him as Phillip. Claire Foy was very good as the Queen. They both will be hard acts to follow.

Question: The satire group making fun of the PM, who where they? Early Monty Python or Beyond the Fringe with Dudley Moore?

WillyFive

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Just finished the second season and thought it was wonderful! Episode 9 was harrowing and explains alot about Charles. Matt Smith did a great job, I adored him as the Doctor, but totally loathed him as Phillip. Claire Foy was very good as the Queen. They both will be hard acts to follow.

Question: The satire group making fun of the PM, who where they? Early Monty Python or Beyond the Fringe with Dudley Moore?

Beyond the Fringe.

In their defense getting jfk right is a tough tasame with jackie

The guy they had for Robert would be a great choice for JFK.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Is this show supposed to show how ridiculous the British monarchy is? That's the feeling I get watching the second season, not sure if it's on purpose or not. :P Very entertaining so far.

Oct 25, 2017
I dunno, one episode makes sense to me. It's not like JFK and the Queen were constantly talking. There was clearly a tremendous effect but not necessarily a lasting one.

Dexter was a pretty weird choice, but hey, it wasn't about him, it was about his wife. So it's pretty easy for me to let it slide. I guess if they cut the finale into a later episode it would have felt more historical, but it also would have derailed their other storyline. So as a non-American it was alright

It isn't so much that he needed to be in more but for that "take" I felt he was too on the outside for such a strong narrative on a huge historical figure.
Comparatively the strength of this show is showing these major figures as complicated and flawed people.
Anthony Eden is probably the only other character in this show with such a strong clear cut portrayal(a bad one) but he at least had enough appearances to get a feel for him.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm 7 episodes into season 2 now, and I keep checking Wikipedia to see what happens to all these people and what they actually look like and I just end up feeling so badly for Princess Margaret.

She got a pretty raw deal (I know she's still royalty but if you grade on a curve, it really sucked to be her).

jey_16

Oct 28, 2017
I'm 7 episodes into season 2 now, and I keep checking Wikipedia to see what happens to all these people and what they actually look like and I just end up feeling so badly for Princess Margaret.

She got a pretty raw deal (I know she's still royalty but if you grade on a curve, it really sucked to be her).

I was somewhat sympathetic towards her earlier on but as the show goes on, it faded quite a bit. Elizabeth was right, Margaret goes on about equality and egalitarianism but she wasn't prepared to give up her titles and entitlements was she? just comes across as a spoilt brat

and in any event, she could have married Townsend if she gave up her position in the line of succession, would have kept the titles, money etc. though, doesn't sound like a bad deal

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, this show does a really good work in making the audience interested in the actual historic events and the life of the characters. I found myself quite often checking the real history behind the events showed.

Oct 25, 2017
I was somewhat sympathetic towards her earlier on but as the show goes on, it faded quite a bit. Elizabeth was right, Margaret goes on about equality and egalitarianism but she wasn't prepared to give up her titles and entitlements was she? just comes across as a spoilt brat

and in any event, she could have married Townsend if she gave up her position in the line of succession, would have kept the titles, money etc. though, doesn't sound like a bad deal

She does get kind of petulant, especially at the start of the episode 7, but she's gets constantly derailed regardless of what she wants. And, at least the way it happens on the show, it's not lot Elizabeth is saying no to her. It's always, "yes, but first we have to get to my stuff first because it's more important" and then by the time her stuff is done sometimes the yes is morphed into a no anyway.

honavery

Oct 27, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Love this show. Gorgeous to watch, and the actors are great. Episode 6 and 9 were the best of season 2 IMO.

Claire Foy wll be missed, but I'm willing to give it a chance for S3.

WillyFive

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's crazy that they are planning on changing the actors with people who don't look like the previous actors. But the new actress that looks like an older version of your former lead actress, isn't playing Elizabeth.

Fucking odd, really.

Well, although Foy played young Elizabeth, the goal is to play what the real Elizabeth was like, not an older version of Claire Foy.

BrokenFiction

Oct 25, 2017
ATL
https://deadline.com/2018/01/netfli...-as-new-prince-philip-in-season-3-1202264532/

Netflix's The Crown is reportedly targeting Paul Bettany to play Prince Philip for its season three series.

The British star, who also will appear in the films Solo: A Star Wars Story andAvengers: Infinity War later this year, would replace Matt Smith, who played the role in the first two seasons.

Netflix had no comment, but sources confirmed the negotiations.This is the third change planned for the cast of The Crown. Earlier, Olivia Colman was confirmed to take over the role of Elizabeth from Claire Foy, and Helena Bonham Carter will play Princess Margaret, replacing Vanessa Kirby.

Inspired casting - I hope it works out!

Openrob

Nov 5, 2017
Favourite moments from S2? Or are we doing no spoiler discussion in this thread?

My favourite moment might be when the Queen goes to visit Tommy and it's revealed that he's into tabletop war reenactment. The bit where Liz moves one of his little army men, and then Tommy patiently waits for her to move away before sighing and moving it back was just perfect.

Tommy is the true villain of the show.

OP
OP

Deleted member 33

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
http://deadline.com/2018/01/the-crown-paul-bettany-withdraws-talks-prince-philip-1202269227/

That was quick. Paul Bettany is out of the running to play Prince Philip in Season 3 of Netflix's The Crown, Deadline has confirmed.

Deadline reported over the weekend that Bettany was in active negotiations for the role as a replacement for Matt Smith, who played the character in the first two seasons.

It's not entirely clear why Bettany withdrew from the talks, but the deal did not make.

Ishaan

Oct 27, 2017
Paul Bettany is an interesting choice for Philip. If he's unavailable, I would love to see Hugh Laurie play the part instead.

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
Been watching this show recently. I burned through season 1 and am about 4 episodes into season 2. This has to be one of the best-written shows on Netflix, if not the best. There's a lot I didn't know about how the intricacies of the monarchy works, and it is quite fascinating to see and watch.

Helps that the writing and acting are great--John Lithgow was a standout for Churchill, as is much of the cast. Claire Foy also does quite an amazing job with her expressions.

Seeing as how the show is supposed to be 6 seasons, I really hope they can keep the quality up throughout.

Really, it is a great show, and at the end of each episode I have to stop myself from watching to finish my other responsibilities.

Last edited:

Tribal_Cult

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Man they really went hard on Snowdon. I kept myself from watching season 2 until a couple of days ago when I started the binge. I'm two episodes away and I love it. Not much into England and history in general, but the production here is top notch and I love how every episode is centered on something different and set months if not years apart from the last one.
I think Foy's successor will be great, while Philip's, even if a great actor, is just too fucking different to be realistic. How can you follow up on Matt Smith? That dude's face is so peculiar, there is no actor really looking similar. Maybe, maybe, Cumberbatch, but not even that. I could see Hugh Laurie being the last actor picked for the role though, he would be cool.
Bonham Carter fits the character to a tee instead.
My favorite episodes so far were 5 and 6. Gonna watch the last two tonight.
Season 3 shouldn't be too far off I guess. Historically, it's probably going to be a transitional season I guess, and the interesting/hard stuff will definitely come with season 4 and 5. Can't wait to see what they do with Lady D.