• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 33

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
thecrownseason2vvsgx.jpg

Synopsis: The second season about the reign of Queen Elizabeth II explores the 1950's and 1960's. The show is created by Peter Morgan who wrote films such as "The Queen" (2006), "The Last King of Scotland" (2006) and "Frost/Nixon" (2008). The plan is for the show to last six seasons.

Release Date: Season 2 is now available on Netflix. Ten episodes.

What else should I know about this show?

Last season, "The Crown" earned 13 Emmy nominations, 12 BAFTA awards, and multiple Screen Actors Guild awards. The show also earned an AFI award for "TV Program of the Year". Season 2 has already earned two Golden Globe nominations for "Best Television Series - Drama" and "Best Performance by an Actress in a Television Series". With a budget of $100-$120 million, The Crown is one of the most expensive shows that Netflix has ever produced.

thecrownpromo1m1sex.jpg

The Cast:

Claire Foy as Queen Elizabeth II
Matt Smith as Philip, Duke of Edinburg
Victoria Hamiliton as Queen Elizabeth's mother
Vanessa Kirby as Princess Margaret
Pip Torrens as Tommy Lascelles
Will Keen as Michael Adeane
Jeremy Northam as Anthon Eden
Anna Madeley as Clarissa Eden
Billy Jenkins as Prince Charles
Anton Lesser as Harold MacMillan
Greg Wise as Lord Mountbatten
Alex Jennings as David, Duke of Windsor
Matthew Goode as Tony Armstrong-Jones
Daniel Ings as Mike Parker
Chloe Pirrie as Eileen Parker
Jodi Balfour as Jackie Kennedy
Michael C. Hall as President Kennedy

Reviews for Season 2:

thecrownscoresdgshu.jpg

Variety - 10 out of 10

"Foy is doing the best performance currently on dramatic television in her Elizabeth. ... There are few shows currently on air that convince you of how carefully considered its vision is, but The Crown does it constantly--whether that is the way the light streams through the window onto Philip's shoulders, or the set of Elizabeth's jaw as she addresses her prime minister. For that alone it is remarkable."

The Atlantic - 10 out of 10

"This personal, complex portrayal of a monarch who by her own admission in the show would rather be living any other life is riveting enough. But The Crown is also a history lesson, as my colleague David Sims has put it, albeit a selective one. It's gorgeously shot, with flawless re-creations of everything from the Throne Room in Buckingham Palace to a 1950s hospital ward. And it's surprisingly funny."

Collider - 10 out of 10

"Like its first season, each new episode makes its mark and tells its own complete story, all while staying linked to Elizabeth's journey as a monarch, mother, and wife. It's another exceptionally strong season of television, full of compelling drama and sweeping grandeur."

San Francisco Chronicle - 10 out of 10

"The new season is even more engaging that the first. The other reasons include Morgan's writing, spot-on direction from Stephen Daldry, Philip Martin, Benjamin Caron and others, and superb performances at almost every level. ... The fact that it's one of the best shows in town is just the jewel in The Crown."

New York Magazine (Vulture) - 10 out of 10

"On every level, The Crown is deserving of praise. But it's that subtle emphasis on the idea that even the most stubborn among us can at least try to evolve that makes it vital end-of-2017 viewing."

Newsday - 10 out of 10

"The first season was initially hagiography masking as a high-end TV series, but the second season is Vanity Fair, full of characters, life, humor, passion and buttered scones. Morgan not only has a series to match his 2006 Oscar-winning movie, "The Queen," but finally one to exceed it. The Crown--the second season, anyway--is magnificent."

The AV Club - 9 out of 10 (Grade: A -)

"By delving into the darkest recesses of the marriage--now graduated from whinging squabbles in season one to adulterous rumors in this one--The Crown achieves a groundbreaking, intimate look at a legendary union far beyond their many official portraits."

The Oregonian - 9 out of 10

"Utterly fascinating. ... The Crown is a showcase for keen character observation and inspired acting, not only from Foy. As Philip, Smith is able to show more dimensions of a man who's hard to like, but not easy to outright condemn."

Entertainment Weekly - 9 out of 10 (Grade: A -)

"Peter Morgan's creation works so well as a whole because it's consistently well written and lushly filmed--so lush it almost shames a small screen--but its greatest strength once again is in the casting."

Salon - 9 out of 10

"There's more bitter than sweet in this season, to be certain; that doesn't sour the story, however, which speaks to Morgan's skill in building the story and the history, which he strengthens by making season 2 more of an ensemble piece and less reliant on Foy."

Los Angeles Times - 9 out of 10

"Foy has no problem filling the void left by Lithgow's Churchill with another stellar performance that builds upon the experience and confidence Elizabeth gained last season. ... Elizabeth's personal life, Philip's identity crisis and the geopolitics of the era are seamlessly triangulated here."

RogerEbert.com - 9 out of 10

"Clearly, The Crown doesn't come close to experiencing a second-season slump. In some ways, it tops the highs achieved in its initial run, building on the already-complex relationships between Elizabeth, Philip, Margaret, the Queen Mother, and other members of the Royal Family and their retinue to create something even more layered and rich."

We Got This Covered - 9 out of 10

"Unafraid to delve deep into the Monarchy's turbulent history, in its second season The Crown has once again set the bar for Netflix Originals. The series' regal production design, sublime writing, and ravishing camerawork frame the ensemble's consistently impeccable theatrics in pure gold. The biographical drama has justified its minutely dull setup and indeed shown viewers that heavy lies the crown."

Salon - 9 out of 10

"There's more bitter than sweet in this season, to be certain; that doesn't sour the story, however, which speaks to Morgan's skill in building the story and the history, which he strengthens by making season 2 more of an ensemble piece and less reliant on Foy."

The Mary Sue - (Positive Review)

"Season two of The Crown solidifies it as one of Netflix's best acted and produced series."

The Guardian

"In the meantime, the second 10-part season was released on Friday, and… could it match season the first, which bestrode the world? I am here to happily report that, if anything, it's better."

Vanity Fair - 8 out of 10

"I find the show pretty bloody compelling."

The Hollywood Reporter - 8 out of 10

"Because Foy is so excellent, her occasional shift to the background over these 10 episodes is a loss, but doesn't wholly detract from Morgan'https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/review/crown-review-season-2-1063466s nuanced exploration of the paradoxically potent impotence of British royalty in the 20th Century."

Washington Post - 8 out of 10

"In striving to be more, The Crown, which delivers 10 robust new episodes Friday on Netflix, intermittently becomes too much."

The New York Times - 8 out of 10

"Not everything Mr. Morgan tries works--an episode involving Elizabeth's complicated feelings toward Jacqueline Kennedy, and a plot contrivance in which Philip is more closely linked to the Profumo scandal than history would suggest, don't pan out. But the pleasures of high-class melodrama are always present, as is the comforting notion--increasingly hard to believe--that our leaders can be compassionate, intelligent and exceedingly well behaved."

The Daily Beast - 8 out of 10

"If the first season was reminiscent of The Queen, then the second season is more like The Other Boleyn Girl. The drama has been dialed up to 11 and the structure of the series is such that Morgan squeezes every ounce of romance from the stone."

VOX - 7 out of 10

"Despite the roiling tensions of the imminent '60s and the various revolutions it holds, the Royal Family's domestic politics are still what The Crown does best. And for every moment that falls apart under the weight of leaden metaphors, there are still several that shine. Royals may not be just like you or me, but they are, The Crown insists, prone to indulging the same trifling nonsense as the rest of us."

IndieWire - Grade: B -

"Some viewers may look for exactly this in their television: a beautiful recreation of historical events, connected by safe assumptions about the people who lived through them. But television is capable of so much more, and whether you like The Crown or not, its medium evokes stronger, richer feelings elsewhere."

UPROXX (Alan Sepinwall) - 6 out of 10

"The drama's second season (it debuts Friday; I've seen all 10 episodes) unfortunately isn't at that level [of season one]. It's peppered with moments, and even whole episodes, that evoke the quality of season one, but overall there are enough decisions to bring it down into "If you like this sort of thing, you'll probably like this sort of thing" territory, where once it was the sort of show where I always had to preface my remarks with, "I know this doesn't sound like it's for you, but…"

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I'm watching this now with my girlfriend. She binged the first season mostly without me, but I've caught much of Season 2. It's a great, enlightening drama, put together more cohesively than Victoria.

Ant

Oct 27, 2017
Went into Season one with low expectations but came away so impressed. John Lithgow was fantastic as Churchill!

Binge watched S2 and thought it was very well done! Excited to see what S3 and the new cast bring!

Oct 29, 2017
Watched up to Ep 5.

I'm probably alone in this, but Ep. 4 was a bit of a drag. The scene with
Margaret at the photography studio
felt interminably long.

hurroocane

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Time for some spoilery comments

Woof. I was aware that there was some nazi sympathizing stuff going on in the royals family but I didn't know prince edward was involved. I love how they just presented the real life photos at the end of the episode without comment because they very much speak for themselves.

Well that's a side of the Kennedys I wasn't familiar with. Dunno how much creative license is involved here but it makes me want to read up on the history so that's something.

I think I'm scared of flying now. That dream/hallucination scene where philip walks through the crash site was pretty heavy.

I loved that moment near the end where the queen is standing in the snow. The scene has kind of an introspective quality almost Ghost in the Shell-esque.

I didn't really understand the implication of the whole portrait drama thing. Were they naked portraits? Is that what was in the drawer during the fight scene that made Philip shut up?

Fantastic season overall. It'll be very interesting to see how long the series goes on. I guess the production is pretty expensive but it's a really good prestige show for Netflix.

Oct 25, 2017
A superb season, I absolutely loved it. Everything about this show is immaculate, I could watch a thousand episodes.

Dany

Oct 29, 2017
seattle
Excuse me but this is the best show that Netflix is offering. Bar none. 5 episodes in and I've seen amazing storytelling that outs own would be episode of the year quality. This show knows how to deliver

bye

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
The finale was a little lackluster, and actually one of the weakest eps this season. Or maybe everything the came before it was just super fantastic, idk.

Paradox House

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It was fine. Disappointed how much the Eden stuff was left in the background. Last series set it up much better imo

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
I didn't see this show yet, will it cover the bit where the queen had Diana murdered?

Oct 26, 2017
This show is great. I particularly like Matt Smith's portrayal of Prince Philip.

Can someone make a supercut of everytime Claire Foy says "Philip" in S1/2? I'd be most obliged.

Lady Murasaki

Scary Shiny Glasses
Oct 25, 2017
Good season. I just think that they could give Elizabeth and Margaret a little bit more of screen time - especially Elizabeth felt like a secondary character in Phillip's story.

One of the best episodes was the one about Lord Altrincham. Just brilliant.

Excited to see the next phase with Olivia Colman [Btw, what will they do with her brown eyes? The super pale skin with cold blue eyes is almost a trademark of Foy's Elizabeth II].

clay_ghost

Oct 25, 2017
Good season. I just think that they could give Elizabeth and Margaret a little bit more of screen time - especially Elizabeth felt like a secondary character in Phillip's story.

Excited to see the next phase with Olivia Colman [Btw, what will they do with her brown eyes? The super pale skin with cold blue eyes is almost a trademark of Foy's Elizabeth II].
Contact lens?

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
The Prince Charles episode tho.

They're definitely setting up his personal tragedies very early on. Next season will be rough for him—I hope they get a great young actor.

Oct 26, 2017

Psh, Margaret got plenty of screen time in my opinion. Philip is a total lad and by far the best character.

Lady Murasaki

Scary Shiny Glasses
Oct 25, 2017
Psh, Margaret got plenty of screen time in my opinion. Philip is a total lad and by far the best character.

I actually agree with you about Phillip, his development was very well made and Matt Smith is great [I am actually glad I didn't see him as The Doctor, so I can see him fully as the Duke of Edinburgh]. But I believe my side ''we need more series focused on leading women!'' is speaking louder haha

Fable

Oct 25, 2017
Love this series, haven't binged anything in a while but I flew through the second season. I thought it was as good as the first, though, I am honestly not a fan of Philip. Matt Smith has done an excellent job with him, but to me he comes off as a spoiler, whiny brat. Elizabeth, on the other hand, is often out of touch but she seems to care and is definitely all about her duty.

Oct 26, 2017
I actually agree with you about Phillip, his development was very well made and Matt Smith is great [I am actually glad I didn't see him as The Doctor, so I can see him fully as the Duke of Edinburgh]. But I believe my side ''we need more series focused on leading women!'' is speaking louder haha

Me neither! Maybe Dr Who fans have a different view on that.

Deleted member 29237

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Love this show, only have a couple of episodes left. Writing, costumes, lighting, music and performances are all top notch.

Also I really want a spin off with Tommy Lascelles as an upper class Winston Wolf.

Peru

Oct 26, 2017
Just finished episode 4 (S2). Awestruck! You just don't see filmmaking like this in TV shows, usually, the sensuality of the depiction of Margaret's romances, the photography studio stuff, just so beautifully written and filmed and clearly executed with care, not rushed to deadlines.

Loved to see Vanessa Kirby get to show off a bit more too.

Scenes with Margaret and Elizabeth are highly entertaining and crackling with a complex sort of chemistry.

Salty_Josh

Oct 28, 2017
This is my favourite series on netflix. Binged this the day it came out. Glad to see people on ERA giving this show the respect it deserves

Oct 26, 2017
Favourite moments from S2? Or are we doing no spoiler discussion in this thread?

My favourite moment might be when the Queen goes to visit Tommy and it's revealed that he's into tabletop war reenactment. The bit where Liz moves one of his little army men, and then Tommy patiently waits for her to move away before sighing and moving it back was just perfect.

Ragnarsson

Oct 27, 2017
Lisbon, Portugal
Currently on episode 8. This season has been incredible so far, stunning work put into every single episode. It's also very different from season 1 - while season 1 felt more like a traditional series, with a main story and side affairs developing throughout the episodes, this season focuses more on major themes rather than season-wide events. Every episode feels less like a TV episode and more like a small movie dealing with a different facet of that particular time in History. It's fascinating, some themes are oddly relevant and the approach always feels tactful. Good stuff!

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
On the last two episodes. Really loved this season so far. It's kind of interesting that it feels like a different show every episode. Recurring characters only showing up once or twice. But it all works quite well.

Also has any other network/streaming service have had as prolific and quality year as Netflix has had this year? It's quite something the output they're doing. Only thing that comes to mind is HBO mid 2000s when Six Feet Under, Deadwood, The Wire, and Curb were all showing at the same year.

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
I loved the fact that each episode was like a standalone movie. Really well done. The only thing I didn't like that much was the end of the final episode. A bit anticlimactic.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
So is it pretty much confirmed that Philip was banging other women? I mean, they allude to it pretty heavily.

YukiroCTX

Prophet of Regret
Oct 30, 2017
I'm surprised how The Crown seems not to have a huge following. It's a great series, absolutely loved the first one as well and second one really enjoyable. My favourite episode this season is still Episode 6 as a person incredibly unfamiliar with the Royalty, It's so strange what was once a fairly sympathetic even with his pathetic attempts at the money grabbing in the first season turns out to be the worst person in both seasons combined. I had the same reaction that was displayed with huge disgust. It's a shame that Claire Foy isn't going to be back for the next season as she was brilliant. It was kind of interesting how each episode felt much more contained than the first season showing different aspects but it did seem to hurt the sense of time and progression from my view. Also noted from my view is that the music seems less conspicuous as I don't quite remember much compared to the first where there was some fairly great dramatic scores.

isual

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
liked it a lot. i'm a big fan of period dramas.

don't like how they will replace claire foy for next season.

Deleted member 29237

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I was surprised by how bad Michael C Hall was as JFK, he honestly looked and sounded nothing like him. It stood out a lot when compared to the spot-on impersonations in the rest of the series.

Snack12367

Oct 28, 2017
Time for some spoilery comments

I didn't really understand the implication of the whole portrait drama thing. Were they naked portraits? Is that what was in the drawer during the fight scene that made Philip shut up?

Fantastic season overall. It'll be very interesting to see how long the series goes on. I guess the production is pretty expensive but it's a really good prestige show for Netflix.

To the last spoiler. There was a conspiracy theory that a bank robbery in the 70s was orchestrated by MI5 on the behest of the Royal Family, to recover certain compromising photos of members of the Royal Family.

BobHarris

Dec 20, 2017
Margaret was my MVP for this season. Philip got better as he went along but didn't get entirely away from seeming like a bit too much of a whiney git in those first couple of episodes.

Gonna miss Foy, she's just so damn good. I'm sure the show will do fine without her, but I could definitely do with some flashback eps or something.

kharma45

Oct 26, 2017
I was surprised by how bad Michael C Hall was as JFK, he honestly looked and sounded nothing like him. It stood out a lot when compared to the spot-on impersonations in the rest of the series.

That's the only real nitpick I have. Was a very poor casting choice. Don't have much else bad to say about the series.