• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Jan 15, 2018
Have you ever been recommend a classic film that you went on to find out is out of print or whose most recent release was in a sub HD format? Criterion has you covered, since 1984 they've been restoring and re-releasing classics, underappreciated art-house gems, and critically acclaimed films from world cinema that never found an audience. They also include tons of extras to give new watchers context about the films and returning fans new things to chew on.

Outside of just simply re-releasing films, they've also contributed quite a bit to home video as a whole, they introduced correct aspect ratio letterboxing, directors commentary, multi-disc sets, special editions, and definitive versions. All of these are now standards in the industry thanks to Criterion pioneering them.

Thanks to this company, whether you're a newbie film buff or a seasoned vet looking to expand your collection, the very existence of Criterion has made it easier to find what you're looking for and giving it the respect it deserves.

For those who are interested, Criterion currently releases their films in Regions A and B. For Region A you can get them from your local Barnes and Nobel, Amazon, or the Criterion Website. For Region B, Criterion sells on Amazon UK. (as a disclaimer, they only recently started selling outside the U.S. so not all of their releases are available yet, but will be over time.)

(This isn't meant to be a list topic, so please don't just make a list without any explanation, it adds nothing to the discussion and is against the rules anyway.)
Now, to get the discussion started, i'll include some of my favorite films to have gotten the Criterion treatment

Stalker
stalkerBDcriterion.jpg

A classic piece of Russian cinema and one of my all time favorites that stands out even among director Andrei Tarkovsky's indelible filmography, Stalker transcends its initially sci-fi trappings and becomes something far more psychological and philosophical. It is further elevated by its wonderful use of color and incredible cinematography. The movie is very slow, but totally engrossing. The remaster only increases the beauty of this film and the included interviews are a great listen.

The Seventh Seal

There isn't much to say about this movie that hasn't already been said, it's one of the first movies that made people understand that filmmaking is an art and is one of the best examples of world cinema. It's rightly influenced many filmmakers and is still discussed today. The Criterion release is easily the best way to watch it.

Brazil
This was the first of Terry Gilliams movies i'd seen outside of Monty Python and it remains my favorite. It's effortlessly funny, strange, and inventive and, like most of his work, the movie feels downright claustrophobic at times, with many scenes taking place in small overstuffed offices or apartments. It stands today as a brilliant piece of satire that rings a lot truer today than it did when it came out.

Being There
Another piece of classic satire that rings a lot truer today, directed by the late, great Hal Ashby before his downfall, Being There is a very funny look at the ultra rich. The way Peter Sellers Chance basically regurgitates things he's heard on TV and how the politicians and ceos just eat it up and over interpret it is still very funny today.

So, which of Criterion's releases are your favorites? What would you like to see them restore?

Last edited:

BrokenFiction

Oct 25, 2017
ATL
I adore Criterion, but my wallet does not, especially when Barnes & Noble will occasionally do a 50% off sale and I go nuts.

A couple of my favorites:

91WFz8WSn1L._SX342_.jpg

91GQa4nlH4L._SY445_.jpg

3_outlaw_samurai_25.jpg

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
Their Blu Ray for Seven Samurai is absolutely amazing looking. I actually wish they'd do more animated films.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I have a nice collection of criterions myself.

8 1/2
12 Angry Men
American Lost and Found: The BBS Collection
Bottle Rocket
Blow Out
Breakfest Club
Bull Durham
Che
Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Godzilla
The Lost Emperor
Moonrise Kingdom
Pan's Labyrinth
Paths of Glory
Seven Samurai
Silence of the Lambs

There's a lot more that I want but these things ain't cheap

OP
OP
Comrade Crunch
Jan 15, 2018
So like I stated in the op, please don't just list the ones you own, at least put a little blurb or something that would foster discussion, thank you.

With that out of the way, I love it when they do multi film releases, i've been eyeing the Guillermo Del Toro collection, it's gorgeous and includes Cronos, The Devils Backbone, and Pans Labyrinth.

Last edited:

Roberto Duran

Oct 25, 2017
They were my favorite label when I was in the States. I own quite a lot of their blu-rays and some of their DVDs. I think my favorites have been the Melville blu-rays, I really adore his films. Also the Wong Kar Wai blus. When Criterion releases film noirs, I always buy those.

The UK has a lot of great boutique labels, and Criterion started way too late to be in the UK. Arrow, BFI, Artificial Eye, Eureka/Masters of Cinema have a lot of the Criterion backlog over here. Some of the UK releases will get better transfers and extras as well.

OP
OP
Comrade Crunch
Jan 15, 2018
They were my favorite label when I was in the States. I own quite a lot of their blu-rays and some of their DVDs. I think my favorites have been the Melville blu-rays, I really adore his films. Also the Wong Kar Wai blus. When Criterion releases film noirs, I always buy those.

The UK has a lot of great boutique labels, and Criterion started way too late to be in the UK. Arrow, BFI, Artificial Eye, Eureka/Masters of Cinema have a lot of the Criterion backlog over here. Some of the UK releases will get better transfers and extras as well.

Arrow actually started releasing Films in the U.S. not long ago, it's still mostly Horror and B-Movies, but there are some gems in there.

Joe_Bush

Oct 27, 2017
Kansas
Steve James' Hoop Dreams is probably my favorite film. The stories of the two boys told in this film are presented with such great empathy. James channels a sense of humanity for these two kids growing up in inner-city Chicago that a number of other media tends to strip from them unfairly. The film captures not only the intensive highs and lows of high school basketball very well but also shows these mundane aspects of their lives that really gets at the boys' personalities, not just what basketball means and represents to them but what their life priorities are at a relatively young but very tumultuous age. Especially considering the rhetoric surrounding black teenagers who lived in cities during this time, that dehumanizing idea of "super predators" presented by James Dilulio and later channeled by Bill & Hillary Clinton, this film stands out to me as capturing young people with a genuine and empathetic eye.

That's really the main film I point to when I think of the Criterion Collection, I wouldn't have known about this movie had I not been drawn to it via Criterion. I'll probably post about other Criterion releases later (I have some thoughts on Slacker, Night on Earth, and Gray's Anatomy too) but I'll take any opportunity I can get to talk about Hoop Dreams

Oct 25, 2017
Stalker is definitely one of my favorites. Got myself a decent amount of Chaplin, Kurosawa, Gilliam, and Cronenberg as well, among others.

I'm just about prepared to snag 12 Angry Men during the next flash sale.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wow. So Criterion Channel finally works on my main TV. A 2018 Sony XBR - I already bought a 4k TV stick for it, which enraged me. But at least it's available on that TV now.

The lack of console apps is still baffling tho. I've never heard a single explanation that makes any sense. They're leaving money and subscribers on the table for no reason.

Oct 26, 2017
Wow. So Criterion Channel finally works on my main TV. A 2018 Sony XBR - I already bought a 4k TV stick for it, which enraged me. But at least it's available on that TV now.

The lack of console apps is still baffling tho. I've never heard a single explanation that makes any sense. They're leaving money and subscribers on the table for no reason.
I was really disappointed to find out they did not have an Xbox App (so can't use my good headphones), but at least I have Roku for the meantime.

OP
OP
Comrade Crunch
Jan 15, 2018
Snagged Until The End of The World, this cut is almost 5 hours long and is excellent. I liked the theatrical version okay, but this full version is quite the experience. The cover is beautiful too:

81TnMK0mUrL._SL1500_.jpg

It's quite weird, the ease of access of just being able to pick it from the dashboard would make a world of difference.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
criterion's auxiliary materials are always fucking top notch

opening up the dvd case for Crumb and finding a recreated version on the 'artists test' booklet that his brother doodled in was like magic

not even to mention the essays and other extras

buying a criterion movie is almost like buying a study course made specifically for that film

mattiewheels

Oct 27, 2017
criterion's auxiliary materials are always fucking top notch

opening up the dvd case for Crumb and finding a recreated version on the 'artists test' booklet that his brother doodled in was like magic

not even to mention the essays and other extras

buying a criterion movie is almost like buying a study course made specifically for that film
I'll agree, I got Polyester blind hoping that if anyone would put enough effort in to recreate the scratch n sniff card they gave out in theaters, it's definitely Criterion. Was so thrilled to find an Odorama card in the case. These guys...

Fat4all

Oct 25, 2017
here
I'll agree, I got Polyester blind hoping that if anyone would put enough effort in to recreate the scratch n sniff card they gave out in theaters, it's definitely Criterion. Was so thrilled to find an Odorama card in the case. These guys...
i just looked up the supplementary materials for Polyester and hot damn

• New, restored 4K digital transfer, supervised by director John Waters, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray
  • Audio commentary featuring Waters from the 1993 Criterion laserdisc release of the film
  • New conversation between Waters and critic Michael Musto
  • New program featuring interviews with Waters collaborators Tab Hunter, Dennis Dermody, Pat Moran, Vincent Peranio, Mink Stole, Mary Garlington, and Greer Yeaton
  • Interviews from 1993 with crew members Moran, Peranio, and Van Smith
  • Archival interviews with Waters, Moran, and actors Divine and Edith Massey, featuring footage from the making of the film
  • Twenty minutes of deleted scenes and alternate takes
  • Trailer
  • PLUS: An essay by film scholar Elena Gorfinkel, a foldout poster of the cover, and a scratch-and-sniff Odorama™ card

i need to pick this up

Fat4all

Oct 25, 2017
here
oh man, Come and See is getting a Criterion release this year

this cover, fuck

ZMwlUFL3CDDMgsvBiMLhyDcWcdSAli_large.jpg

BestTestie

Banned
Jan 13, 2020
Does Criterion have a super long term preservation plan for their films? Like do they have the ability to do, say, 32k remasters way down the line as home movie formats progress?

maigret

Jun 28, 2018
The June release slate is stacked... hopefully Barnes & Noble still exists in July.

June releases:

Come and See
Portrait of a Lady on Fire
An Unmarried Woman
The Cameraman
Tokyo Olympiad (upgrade)

I'm definitely getting Come and See and Portrait and I'll have to try to track down a rental of An Unmarried Woman. A 1970s movie set in NYC with Michael Murphy? I'm into it.

hydruxo

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Very excited for Come & See finally getting a proper release! Fingers crossed that the Wong Kar-Wai boxset is announced next month for July's releases, that's what I'm most looking forward to.

RugoUniverse

May 15, 2018
I am in the UK and just got hard into Criterion this year as with Covid and lockdown I've re-discovered my passion for film in a big way. I have a fresh stack (including Dazed and Confused, Solaris, A Brighter Summer Day, F For Fake, Topsy-Turvy, the Lone Wolf and Cub collection, Tree of Life and The New World when it's released in a couple of weeks) that I'm absolutely buzzing to get stuck into come the Christmas break. I VPN'd my way to a Criterion Channel sub for the month too and already watched Badlands and i Vitelloni (my first Fellini!) and adored them both. The artwork for Criterion always blows me away and I especially adore my edition of Do The Right Thing.

811qx7FNxoL._AC_SX342_.jpg

Absolutely envious of the US though, I can't tell you how much I'd love to grab those editions of Come and See and Chungking Express among many, many others...

Kevers

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Syracuse, NY
They aren't super arty movies or anything but I picked up The Virgin Suicides a d grabbed the Big Chill for my mom for Christmas. I gotta say this is my first Criterion purchase and I'm absolutely thrilled with it, I'm gonna have to grab Silence of the Lambs and Repo Man soon.

viandante

Apr 24, 2020
I am in the UK and just got hard into Criterion this year as with Covid and lockdown I've re-discovered my passion for film in a big way. I have a fresh stack (including Dazed and Confused, Solaris, A Brighter Summer Day, F For Fake, Topsy-Turvy, the Lone Wolf and Cub collection, Tree of Life and The New World when it's released in a couple of weeks) that I'm absolutely buzzing to get stuck into come the Christmas break. I VPN'd my way to a Criterion Channel sub for the month too and already watched Badlands and i Vitelloni (my first Fellini!) and adored them both. The artwork for Criterion always blows me away and I especially adore my edition of Do The Right Thing.

811qx7FNxoL._AC_SX342_.jpg

Absolutely envious of the US though, I can't tell you how much I'd love to grab those editions of Come and See and Chungking Express among many, many others...

glad to see someone shouting out the criterion channel. imo it's the best streaming service out there. on another level. everyone should check it out.

Tom_Cody

Oct 28, 2017
The 24 hour flash sale is live. 50% off.

I just ordered 12 movies, lol. I had a bunch of credit that softened the blow.

I had everything ready to go in my cart when the sale went live. The only hitch was that the For All Mankind 4K UHD wasn't covered in the sale, presumably because it is a pre-order. NBD, I'll just pick it up down the road.

lobdale

Oct 25, 2017
Finally snagged The Red Shoes in 4K along with a smattering of others I have had on the want list for a while (House, Crash, Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence, Memories of Murder).

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
Got The Piano 4K. Was going to get The Celebration but it's currently on Criterion Channel. I'll get that this summer. If you have Criterion Channel make sure you check your email for your $10 off coupon—it came earlier this week.

Vault Boy

Nov 2, 2017
Kept my order smaller this time than I have in the past, because I had completely forgotten that I picked up several during the last sale and haven't even opened them yet.

Grabbed The Piano 4K, Mulholland Drive 4K, and Funny Games.

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
Trying to be restrained this time since I've been buying too many movies lately, but I'm definitely grabbing the Peebles collection just because I want to make sure I get it before it goes out of print

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
I think I only have three.. Seven Samurai, Time Bandits, and most recently Stalker.

manzoman96

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Definitely going to take a look later. I have a $10 credit from the Citizen Kane replacement disc.

Skiptastic

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone own the Citizen Kane 4K UHD? I am reading something about the packaging that makes me wary to purchase. Would love some insight.

OtisPepperoni

Dec 5, 2017
Picked up:
High & Low (one of my favorite Kurosawa)
Local Hero (just a beautiful warm blanket of a movie)
Inside Llewyn Davis (only seen it once, excited to revisit)
After Life (my only blind buy, but I loved Shoplifters and I heard the director of After Yang, Koganda, highly recommend this)

jwk94

Oct 25, 2017
Is there any point in grabbing stuff in this sale as opposed to waiting for the Barnes and Nobles sale this year?

N64Controller

Nov 2, 2017
glad to see someone shouting out the criterion channel. imo it's the best streaming service out there. on another level. everyone should check it out.

It is ABSOLUTELY amazing and I would recommend it to a lot of people! I subbed to it last year because I felt like my movie knowledge was really poor and I wanted to watch more and more movies. But then I got into a classic in my case, which is choice paralysis. So I found this nifty tool:

https://mikebridge.github.io/tycherion/#/suggest

It's a randomizer where you can select genres, decades and even countries of origins. Usually I just go ahead and just shuffle through everything. It made me discover so much stuff! There's also a lot of documentaries and such.

So many amazing movies I had never heard of before in my life.

TradedHats

Mar 8, 2018
Is there any point in grabbing stuff in this sale as opposed to waiting for the Barnes and Nobles sale this year?

I always grab their stuff from the Criterion.com flash sales instead of B&N because when you spend $500 on Criterion's site, they end up giving you a free $50 gift card. You don't have to spend $500 all at once, as the points are tied to your account.

Tom_Cody

Oct 28, 2017
Barnes and Noble typically does their sales in July and November, so this should be the best sale until July. Criterion also offers $50 credit for every $500 you spend, so I personally try to place my orders during the Criterion flash sales if possible.

That's why I ordered 12 movies, because I plan my orders well in advance.

jwk94

Oct 25, 2017
I always grab their stuff from the Criterion.com flash sales instead of B&N because when you spend $500 on Criterion's site, they end up giving you a free $50 gift card. You don't have to spend $500 all at once, as the points are tied to your account.

Barnes and Noble typically does their sales in July and November, so this should be the best sale until July. Criterion also offers $50 credit for every $500 you spend, so I personally try to place my orders during the Criterion flash sales if possible.

That's why I ordered 12 movies, because I plan my orders well in advance.
Damn, ya'll REALLY like their stuff. I didn't know that offer existed. I'm not sure if they have enough stuff I'm actively interested in to go through $500 in a year though lol. BUt thank you for the help!

TradedHats

Mar 8, 2018
Damn, ya'll REALLY like their stuff. I didn't know that offer existed. I'm not sure if they have enough stuff I'm actively interested in to go through $500 in a year though lol. BUt thank you for the help!

The points don't expire so the $500 could be over the course of like 5 years, which is nice. They also sometimes send $10 gift cards if you're a Criterion Channel sub which is also helpful.