• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
www.nytimes.com

Covid and Race (Published 2022)

The death rate for white Americans has recently exceeded the rates for Black, Latino and Asian Americans.

These are rates, so adjusted for population. The US does have more white people, obviously.

One of the defining characteristics of the pandemic's early stages was its disproportionate toll on Black and Latino Americans.

During Covid's early months in the U.S., the per capita death rate for Black Americans was almost twice as high as the white rate and more than twice as high as the Asian rate. The Latino death rate was in between, substantially lower than the Black rate but still above average.

"We're most vulnerable to this thing," Teresa Bradley, a nurse in Michigan, told The Times in 2020, after surviving a Covid hospitalization. When she was wheeled through the emergency room, she was pained to see that every other patient she saw there was also Black.

These large racial gaps seemed as if they might persist throughout the pandemic, especially because white and Asian Americans were initially quicker to receive vaccine shots. Black and Latino Americans, by contrast, had less convenient access to the shots and many were skeptical of them.

But these large racial gaps in vaccination have not continued — and as a result, neither have the gaps in Covid death rates.

Instead, Covid's racial gaps have narrowed and, more recently, even flipped. Over the past year, the Covid death rate for white Americans has been 14 percent higher than the rate for Black Americans and 72 percent higher than the Latino rate, according to the latest C.D.C. data.

That difference is pure insanity and GOP and its media surrogates have death on their hands.

We have two things here, a success in bridging vaccine hesitancy in African American communities due to well documentated historical and cultural factors. That's good news.

But we're also seeing vaccine hesitancy rise with another demographic. This is bad news.

As I mentioned above, the narrowing of Covid's gaps does involve some bad news: The share of white Americans who have received a Covid vaccine shot has barely budged since last summer.

The main culprit is politics. Only about 60 percent of Republican adults are vaccinated, compared with about 75 percent of independents and more than 90 percent of Democrats, according to Kaiser. And Republicans are both disproportionately white and older. Together, these facts help explain why the white death rate has recently been higher than the Asian, Black or Latino rate.

In heavily conservative, white communities, leaders have not done as good a job explaining the vaccine's benefits — and Covid's risks — as leaders in Black and Latino communities. Instead, many conservative media figures, politicians, clergy members and others have amplified false or misleading information about the vaccines. Millions of Americans, in turn, have chosen not to receive a lifesaving shot. Some have paid with their lives.

Killed by Tucker Carlson, literally.

Last edited:

ruggiex

Oct 27, 2017
Good to see the racial gap has narrowed significantly. I'm kind of feeling whatever at this point for people who still don't care enough to protect themselves.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
Makes sense.

In the beginning those who were 'essential' which skewers poor POC, at risk health wise which Black/Latino/Native tend to fare worse demographic wise, were the main ones on the front lines. I bet you if I looked up how readily, and where, were some of those early legit emergency treatments were focused on…well you do the math

Now we are are in YOLO time where its don't ask don't tell and the risks are balancing out.

Judau

Oct 28, 2017
Clearly a conspiracy against whites.

Or whatever the Republicans think is the "truth".

Frester

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if the Novovax vaccine will do anything to bridge that hesitancy gap among white people who are still unvaccinated. I imagine not.

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017
I'm glad a lot of communities focused on addressing vaccine hesitancy.

Guess it didn't stick for some folks who love propaganda.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Willful ignorance has finally overtaken years of systemic bias against minorities in the medical field coupled with poor access to resources.

OP
OP
entremet

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
It's that white genocide that he's always talking about.
I think I remember seeing some informal polls on his affect on vaccine rates due to exposure to his shows on the topic. It's crazy how influential this dipshit is.

The Murdochs saw OANN as a threat and basically said, let's win back the crazies. Gotta love Capitalism. Money over everything.

Lost Lemurian

Nov 30, 2019
I feel like I say it every time there's a thread like this, but I'm growing ever more interested in what effect this has on voting.

Like, if the largest demographic group of your voter base is disproportionately dying in huge numbers (numbers we know are under-reported), when does that start to eliminate your slim margins of victory?

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
You can't even take the step of disingenuously trying to frame this like the opioid crisis specifically because A) those early death rates fixed it in these people's minds that it only killed off the weak and undeserving, and B) they demonized literally all of the safety measures as a result and were not about to walk that shit back, even as it started hitting their neighborhoods.

A tale as old as America. You can be sure that if the choices are ego or living, collectively white people will just choose to kill themselves. Baffling.

Hasseigaku

Oct 30, 2017
It's basically guaranteed that this hesitancy will extend to other vaccines in the future meaning that this demographic has been setup for future unnecessary death and disability.

On top of that, COVID was far from a worse case scenario. It's nasty and moderately deadly but given our continued encroachment on nature it's highly likely we have worse waiting for us.

OP
OP
entremet

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
It's basically guaranteed that this hesitancy will extend to other vaccines in the future meaning that this demographic has been setup for future unnecessary death and disability.

On top of that, COVID was far from a worse case scenario. It's nasty and moderately deadly but given our continued encroachment on nature it's highly likely we have worse waiting for us.
Well it is already happening with children's vaccine schedules.

www.nytimes.com

The Anti-Vaccine Movement’s New Frontier (Published 2022)

A wave of parents has been radicalized by Covid-era misinformation to reject ordinary childhood immunizations — with potentially lethal consequences.

The mother of four brought her children, ranging in age from grade school to high school, to the doctor's office last summer for their annual checkup. When their pediatrician, Robert Froehlke, said that it was time for shots and several boosters and then mentioned the Covid vaccine, her reaction stunned him. "I'm not going to kill my children," Froehlke recalls her saying, as she began to shake and weep. He ushered her out of the examination room, away from her children, and tried to calm her. "We're just trying to help your kids be healthy," he told her. But he didn't press the issue; he sensed that she wasn't persuadable at that moment. And he didn't want to drive her away from his practice altogether. "That really shook me up," he says.

In his 14 years of practicing medicine in Littleton, a Denver suburb, Froehlke had seen parents decline their children's vaccines for the sake of a more "natural" lifestyle. He had also seen parents, worried about overstressing their children's bodies, request that vaccinations be given on different schedules. But until the past nine months or so, he had rarely seen parents with already vaccinated children refuse additional vaccines. Some of these parents were even rejecting boosters of the same shots they unquestioningly accepted for their children just a few years earlier.

Froehlke estimates that he has faced around 20 such parents, maybe more: a father who said he had done his own research and sent Froehlke a ream of printouts from right-wing and anti-vaccine websites to prove it; a mother (who is a nurse) who adamantly refused routine boosters for a kindergarten-age daughter — and then later, when the child got sick with Covid-19, asked Froehlke without success to give the deworming drug ivermectin to her. The overall number of these new doubters in his practice hasn't been large, he says, but considering it was almost zero before the pandemic, the trend is both notable and worrisome.

These parents are not uneducated, Froehlke told me. Some of them are literally rocket scientists at the nearby Lockheed Martin facility. What has happened, he suspects, is that rampant misinformation related to the Covid-19 vaccines, and the fact that pundits like Tucker Carlson on Fox News have devoted a lot of time to bashing them — among other untruths, he has suggested that the vaccines make people more likely to contract Covid-19, not less — has begun to taint some people's view of long-established vaccines. "I think we're going to see more of this, more spillover of persons who had previously vaccinated their children and who are now not going to vaccinate," he says.

TalonJH

Oct 27, 2017
Louisville, KY
Antidotal but Where I live, while some black people(my dad included) were reluctant to get the vaccine, I feel like they also were more consistently wearing a mask and are still wearing masks while most seem to have moved on regardless of if they have been vaccinated. Grain of salt though. Just a weird observation of when I'm in public(This is Kentucky).

Extra Sauce

Oct 27, 2017
makes sense to me, Republicans form both the whitest side and most anti-vax/anti-mask side of the American political spectrum

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
I will never forget the Summer of 2020, when after the news broke that Black people were disproportionately contracting and getting sick from COVID 19, within weeks you started seeing white folks flooding parks in NYC, violating social distancing rules, with cops graciously handing out masks and not citations.

This virus has never racially discriminated.

AllChan7

Tries to be a positive role model
Apr 30, 2019
I'm pretty sure Republicans will say this is radical leftist propaganda and that the media is being "racist" towards whites. Lol

Nothing about this is surprising considering their attitudes towards masks and vaccines. Add hate to that and you're not gonna have a very long life.

Lys Skygge

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
Anecdotally I notice Black/Hispanic/Asians are more likely wearing masks than white. I sometimes feel like the only white guy wearing a mask in any store. Overall though less than half the people I encounter are actually wearing masks.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
Republican are either about to care about COVID again or create a conspiracy theory that it was designed to only kill white people.

Probably the latter.

Hrodulf

Oct 25, 2017
Anecdotally, non-white people in my area seem to be better about taking measures to prevent catching and spreading the virus.

I can't magically know whether people are vaccinated or not, but white people seem to congregate in larger groups unmasked, while non-white people tend to be more spread out and wear masks.

Whenever I go out, I'm often one of the few white people actually bothering to mask up.

Surakian

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Republican are either about to care about COVID again or create a conspiracy theory that it was designed to only kill white people.

Probably the latter.
Vaccine misinformation has been around longer than COVID, so I don't think they will change their minds on this. They have been genuinely brainwashed into believing science is lying to them, or to seek out alternative information that conforms to their beliefs.

What is more likely is that they will believe these statistics are lying.

nded

Nov 14, 2017
I fear this will have knock-on effects beyond COVID vaccine hesitancy. A few of the chuddier individuals at my workplace have already extended that skepticism to all vaccines and some other types of medical intervention, most worryingly as it pertains to their children's vaccination schedules.

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
Some of ya'lls responses to mass death is very unsettling.

RIP to those taken, regardless of race, color or creed. Death sucks.
They don't give a shit when hundreds of children die in mass shootings despite the answer being so obvious.

Why should we care if they willingly kill themselves with an easily avoidable virus.

The less Republicans, the less crazy gun owners.

Nepenthe

Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I fear this will have knock-on effects beyond COVID vaccine hesitancy. A few of the chuddier individuals at my workplace have already extended that skepticism to all vaccines and some other types of medical intervention, most worryingly as it pertains to their children's vaccination schedules.
Lower vaccination rates means the reemergence of contagious diseases, which means a greater burden on, if not partial collapses of, our healthcare, insurance, and workplace ecosystems. This wouldn't necessarily be the worst thing in the world if we had the political will to ensure universal healthcare relatively soon.

But we don't. Soooooo.

Applebite

Oct 27, 2017

Probably the latter.
You don't need to do either if you just abjectly deny that there's any truth to the article. Must be easy living like that. Well, until you don't.

TitlePending

The Fallen
Dec 26, 2018
So good news is that next time we have a global Pandemic, communities of color will hopefully be more willing to get a vaccine early AND be given greater access.

It's so weird to think that the disposition about getting vaccines have flipped.

yellowfury

Oct 27, 2017
Well all the antivax/anti biden/anti gun control protestors in my area are all old and white so anecdotally that checks out.

tripleg

Alt Account
Banned
Jul 30, 2020
They don't give a shit when hundreds of children die in mass shootings despite the answer being so obvious.

Why should we care if they willingly kill themselves with an easily avoidable virus.

The less Republicans, the less crazy gun owners.

I'm sorry but this thread has nothing to do with republicans, unless you're telling me that you know for sure that all the white americans dead are registered republican voters who intend to vote for republican candidates next election.

Jog off - this is nothing but the same hatred you claim to be against.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
Is it true that the right didn't care about mask and vaccine mandates until it was reported that deaths are disproportionately affecting non-white people.
I wonder if they'll suddenly start masking up.

Oct 26, 2017
I'm sorry but this thread has nothing to do with republicans, unless you're telling me that you know for sure that all the white americans dead are registered republican voters who intend to vote for republican candidates next election.

There have been plenty, plenty of studies already to show infections/hospitalizations/deaths from COVID are much higher in red states (we've had threads on it), so let's not act like they're pulling this out of thin air.

tripleg

Alt Account
Banned
Jul 30, 2020
There have been plenty, plenty of studies already to show infections/hospitalizations/deaths from COVID are much higher in red states (we've had threads on it), so let's not act like they're pulling this out of thin air.

So just so we're clear, if a boat carrying 100 white people capsized and they all drowned, we'd celebrate if 60 of them were republicans?

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Toxic individualism. When "no one tells me what to do" is your life's motto, you take far fewer recommended measures to protect yourself, and more importantly others.

EntelechyFuff

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Nov 19, 2019
Antidotal but Where I live, while some black people(my dad included) were reluctant to get the vaccine, I feel like they also were more consistently wearing a mask and are still wearing masks while most seem to have moved on regardless of if they have been vaccinated. Grain of salt though. Just a weird observation of when I'm in public(This is Kentucky).
Same observation in NC (minus the vaccination status: I have no idea if these folks are vaxxed or not). When I go out in public and see masks nowadays, it's majority black and latino families wearing them.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
I see we're at the pearl clutching stage of the thread because people aren't bawling their eyes out over the belligerent assholes who want to hurt everyone that have ended up hurting themselves in the process.

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017

It has everything to do with Republicans.
82435ef6-87a4-4cb8-9vrjvt.jpeg

WP: https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...ore-partisan-white-americans-were-hit-harder/
997b2882-ec8b-4bfb-bq3kg9.jpeg

Pew: https://www.pewresearch.org/politic...eography-of-covid-19-over-the-last-two-years/

During the fall of 2021 (roughly corresponding to the delta wave), about 10% of Americans lived in counties with adult vaccination rates lower than 40% as of July 2021. Death rates in these low-vaccination counties were about six times as high as death rates in counties where 70% or more of the adult population was vaccinated.

More Americans were vaccinated heading into the winter of 2021 and 2022 (roughly corresponding to the omicron wave), but nearly 10% of the country lived in areas where less than half of the adult population was vaccinated as of November 2021. Death rates in these low-vaccination counties were roughly twice what they were in counties that had 80% or more of their population vaccinated. (Note: The statistics here reflect the death rates in the county as a whole, not rates for vaccinated and unvaccinated individuals, though individual-level data finds that death rates among unvaccinated people are far higher than among vaccinated people.)

d7ea9d22-0ffa-4e0b-bydjc3.jpeg

WP: https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2021/11/16/party-divide-vaccination/

Covid deaths are largely among the unvaccinated. Guess who among white people are unvaccinated? It's not white Americans who vote for Democrats.

Last edited:

Nepenthe

Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I see we're at the pearl clutching stage of the thread because people aren't bawling their eyes out over the belligerent assholes who want to hurt everyone that have ended up hurting themselves in the process.
Let he who is without sin cast the first stone. Who am I, as a lowly Negro, to be apathetic towards the plight of the white racist who would happily lynch me given the opportunity?

Marshall

Oct 27, 2017
So just so we're clear, if a boat carrying 100 white people capsized and they all drowned, we'd celebrate if 60 of them were republicans?
A more apt scenario is a boat full of 100 white people, with 60 of them refusing to wear life vests, capsizes. Those 60 drown, while the surviving 40 go on with their life.