• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

xclk07

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
My gf and I have been enjoying quite a few of Jirard's videos as of late and before doing the like/subscribe/support thing, I wanted to check to see if he has a lot of problematic alt right views like so many YTers.

It seems not (he was aligned with some of those and then broke ranks alongside speaking positively about immigrant experiences from his own family), but given some of the Angry Joe issues recently brought to my eyes from the last thread, I always worry I'm missing something.

So what say you Era? Ok to support?

Oct 27, 2017
Yes. Jirard is great. He comes off as very genuine and that's hard to fake well.

I'm not one of those who worry about this kind of stuff and will enjoy some youtubers that "are bad" though. That's just my opinion though.

Villa

Oct 28, 2017
I feel like it's healthier to give people the benefit of the doubt and assume the best, unless there's evidence showing otherwise. He seems like a genuine, nice guy to me.

Partridge

Dec 8, 2017
Buffalo, NY
YouTuber political views and drama can be hard to discern, so I'm glad you made the thread. I just started following the completionist, and I'm glad someone is out here doing their due diligence.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sorry OP but while this is a valid concern it's a bit...paranoid.

If someone makes good content, it's fine to support them. If you find out later that they are becoming public with some views that bring harm to others, then stop supporting them. You don't need to tread this like a minefield. There are too many people in this world with too many wildly varying individual views with varying degrees of validity that are expressed to too many varying degrees for this to be practical.

Asking a community whether it's okay to like something is the definition of being in a bubble. And that's not healthy. Make your own conclusions about someone by the content they make and the views they express.

Besides, if someone is secretly bigoted but keeps things clean for years before that coming out, I feel it's better to show them support when they are doing stuff that harms no one, and not support them when that changes. I think it's important for society to not only punish views that actively harm people, but also encourage behavior that is harmless. Support good actions.

OP
OP
xclk07

xclk07

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Getting burned a few times by content creators with abhorrent viewpoints makes it hard to trust new ones

Yep, and I do feel assuming fault for gaming creators on YT may not exactly be fair, but most like prudent given this. Paranoia? Sure, I'll take it, but would rather learn the skeletons in closets and make informed decisions before being milkshake ducked.

Glad the first replies have been positive! Thank you all!

Edit: and to the reply right above me, yes, absolutely the definition of a bubble, but asking a theoretically progressive leaning video game board about the politics of YTers is the bubble I want to be in for the purposes of the question! I didn't feel like taking 30 to 60 minutes googling and reading tons of comments. I mean... that's the point of asking people in the bubble the question!

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
He donated $5,000 to three different charities each after learning about the ProJared scandal.

It's safe to say he's one of the few truly pure hearted, genuine gaming YT channels out there & is very honest about things that go behind the scenes, including how hard it can be to keep new content flowing, especially with the YT algorithms.

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
This is a reasonable question to ask, especially with YouTube content creators.
JonTron, ProJared, lots of gaming YouTubers have been revealed to be pretty awful people.

Is there a website that chronicles this shit?

WillyFive

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This isn't a cult, you can choose to like and support who you want.

On topic though, I worry about The Completionist's health. He spends a significant amount of time with these videos (especially because he sells them as a completionist), so much so that it leads to a lot of stress for him.

DeoGame

Dec 11, 2018
Is this because of his thread about his family's gas station being burnt down in the riots and looted? Because he got some flack for it, but it struck me he was only venting about his frustration at his dad losing his small business (which is natural) and not trying to take away from things, as he has been tweeting support throughout the week.

Liking Jirard is totally cool, I like him too.

Minions

Oct 25, 2017
Met him at a convention, he's a down to earth guy, with a crazy workload. They fact he's redoing all the videos he took down after the fallout that. Years of his channel being recreated.

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
Does anybody know the story behind Jamie Lee Curtis being a huge supporter of his? See them interact on Twitter all the time seems so random.

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
All the talk of "paranoid" as though it's not a regular thing to see YouTube gaming personalities shit the bed.

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
Wait what now? That sounds insane.
Yeah, he's redoing the first 120ish episodes on account of his friend Greg who was part of the videos had a falling out & apparently told him to take down the videos. Not sure what exactly the reason was, but you could tell Jirard was broken up over losing his friend.

Is this because of his thread about his family's gas station being burnt down in the riots and looted? Because he got some flack for it, but it struck me he was only venting about his frustration at his dad losing his small business (which is natural) and not trying to take away from things, as he has been tweeting support throughout the week.

Looking at the twitter thread, seemed to be one jerk who tried to undermine what was happening to him & his family with "WELL YOUR PROBLEM ISN'T AS BAD COMPARED TO OTHERS" despite the fact he's clearly been supportive of the BLM movement.

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
This is a reasonable question to ask, especially with YouTube content creators.
JonTron, ProJared, lots of gaming YouTubers have been revealed to be pretty awful people.

Is there a website that chronicles this shit?
Yeah not sure why some people is calling him paranoid is weird their are alot of shitty and gross youturbers.

May 19, 2020
While I understand there are plenty of piece of shit Youtubers asking Resetera to do a background check on one or give you permission to like them is weird behavior.

May 17, 2018
I literally just found a YouTube channel that seemed to have excellent Resident Evil and Silent Hill retrospectives.

Then I get to his review of RE4 and he starts going on a tirade of the "fedora-wearing sad excuses for gaming journalists and critics" and...unsubscribed.

Think it's more than fair to get recommendation like this before giving them more clicks.

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
I watched jeremy jahns reviews for a year and nobody mentioned anything...
maxresdefault.jpg

Jadow

Oct 27, 2017
He donated $5,000 to three different charities each after learning about the ProJared scandal.

It's safe to say he's one of the few truly pure hearted, genuine gaming YT channels out there & is very honest about things that go behind the scenes, including how hard it can be to keep new content flowing, especially with the YT algorithms.
Wow I almost entirely forgot about the whole ordeal

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Does anybody know the story behind Jamie Lee Curtis being a huge supporter of his? See them interact on Twitter all the time seems so random.

Her son, Tom Guest, edits/works with Jirard on Super Beard Bros. I think.

At least from what the comments on this video of Game Grumps say...and also the long to Super Beard Bros. in the description.

Mecha

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Honduras
What a weird thread to make. Oh well, on topic The Completionist is an amazing channel that I enjoy a lot, I recommend it.

DorkLord54

Oct 27, 2017
Michigan
He's good people, gave some money during that Hbomb DK64 stream.

EDIT: And yeah, don't know why some of you are surprised there are people who are asking if a gaming YTer is good, when one of the bigger gaming channels on YT turned out be a literal blood-and-soil white supremacist, and the (now second) largest YT channel decided to - on a livestream - blurt out the n-word while playing PUBG. It's a reasonable worry to have, and one I have all the time when finding new channels.

Last edited:

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
While this is a weird thread, I totally get why you'd want to know more about a person before you decide to support them. I don't think you're paranoid or pathetic, OP - although I might have tried to find an existing thread to ask the question.

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
This is a weird thread.

But yes, Jirard is great. I met him at the Nintendo World Championships last year, and told him I'm rooting for him to win Super Mario Maker. It was a brief interaction, but he definitely seemed like a wholesome guy.

Coi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I like his reviews, a lot. That's it. He looks like a good guy, but a few weeks ago he uploaded a video "crying" about YouTube and his channel getting less views. It's ok to rant sometimes, but the video was really annoying and felt like he deserves something special just for putting effort on his daily job...
For me it was like "hey bro, you're a YouTuber, it's a job like any other job and it's nothing special, you don't deserve special treatment"
Anyways, he makes quality content and deserves a like/subscribe.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Man, poor guy.

I like his reviews, a lot. That's it. He looks like a good guy, but a few weeks ago he uploaded a video "crying" about YouTube and his channel getting less views. It's ok to rant sometimes, but the video was really annoying and felt like he deserves something special just for putting effort on his daily job...
For me it was like "hey bro, you're a YouTuber, it's a job like any other job and it's nothing special, you don't deserve special treatment"
Anyways, he makes quality content and deserves a like/subscribe.

Venting about the chaotic business end of Youtube and trying to stay afloat as an independent creator isn't the same as thinking you deserve special treatment.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
Wow I almost entirely forgot about the whole ordeal
It seems like a lot of people have or that a lot of people at least are still into him, as I checked in on his channel a day or two ago and saw that he resumed uploading videos roughly five months ago. I assume the whole thing just kind of fizzled out?

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
He's a good guy, very genuine and kind person.
Stop caring what forum people think and like who you want to like.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017

Yeah,, he even clarified that he tweeted about his family's gas station because it was an important part of his life.

I don't know him beyond youtube but he seems like a genuine person who has his head on his shoulders.

ParsnipForest

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I literally just found a YouTube channel that seemed to have excellent Resident Evil and Silent Hill retrospectives.

Then I get to his review of RE4 and he starts going on a tirade of the "fedora-wearing sad excuses for gaming journalists and critics" and...unsubscribed.

Think it's more than fair to get recommendation like this before giving them more clicks.
I think it's fine to make up your own mind as you did here. I'd rather bump into something I don't like and make a personal choice not to watch anymore, as opposed to background-checking every content creator I come across just in case they're a "bad" person. Presuming the worst in people is a sorry way to live.

I think I might know the YTer you're referring to...and yeah, when you glimpse that type of smug, holier-than-thou attitude from someone who, in general, makes good stuff, it's hella disappointing.

stupei

Oct 26, 2017
Don't know why people are hassling you, OP. I'm paranoid as hell when I start watching a new gaming youtuber but I'm pretty sure that's common sense at this point. It's fine if plenty of people have zero skin in the game when someone you've been monetarily supporting for a minute smashes into you with their horrible belief system that thinks you and your friends are subhuman, but it's not how I like to spend my leisure time.

Kevers

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Syracuse, NY
Seemed like a pretty cool dude when I met him a few years ago. I'm friends with someone who is better friends with him and I would think he'd say something if he was different off camera or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.