• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
WH breathing a (contaminated) sigh of relief as this gave them the perfect excuse to get out of another debate they know Plague Daddy wouldn't be able to make it through.
Kinda stupid if they are. Trump is trailing by a lot. A debate is a way to get in front of a lot of people and make headlines. A rally doesn't do that. Trump campaign can't afford to freeze the race how it is now.

Deleted member 9584

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
That's dumb. The debate is a week away. Trump could very well be no longer contagious at that point
No longer contagious doesn't matter. Trump and his family / administration already showed at the last debate that they give zero effs about any safety regulations / the safety of anyone around them. Going virtual is the smart thing to do because you know they will all just pull the same nonsense next time at a traditional debate.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
Trump not participating would be quite a self-own at this point

I mean, the whole last week was basically a series of self-owns. If i was on his election-team, i'd probably in danger of alcohol abuse at this point.

Kinda stupid if they are. Trump is trailing by a lot. A debate is a way to get in front of a lot of people and make headlines. A rally doesn't do that. Trump campaign can't afford to freeze the race how it is now.

I wouldn't trust his docs after those recent "reports" and interviews by them.

And i legit believe he would try to run up to Biden at least two or three times.

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
He's just a human piece of shit, no regard for human life and health and safety. Has the god damn coronavirus and is still wanting in person events, not giving a shit if he infects everybody there and probably wanting to infect the Biden family and team in hopes they do poorly and he can gloat over being better them.

Fuck off. I hope this country tells him to fuck off and him and his piece of shit family live the rest of their days in agony.

BFIB

Oct 25, 2017
He'll debate. All this is is a headline tactic that he wants the media to run with. "Will he or won't he!?"

Biden just now said with this President, you never know what he's going to do from one minute to the next, which is why it's a complete failure of an administration. He said he's ready to debate, in person if Trump presents a negative test to the American people, or remote if need be.

Oct 28, 2017
No longer contagious doesn't matter. Trump and his family / administration already showed at the last debate that they give zero effs about any safety regulations / the safety of anyone around them. Going virtual is the smart thing to do because you know they will all just pull the same nonsense next time at a traditional debate.
Why not just do it outside somewhere

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017

Haha, I came here to post this tweet.

Haberman with a good point. Republicans thought Pence did well last night and were eager to celebrate that, and here Trump comes in, demands focus on himself and steers any discussion about Pences' performance to a total losing issue for the campaign -- Trump bailing on a debate.

It's similar to yesterday Trump tweeted dozens, maybe hundreds, of times and didn't once say "Hey, watch Mike Pence debate Kamala Harris tonight on TV." In the dozens and dozens of tweets, not one reference to the VP debate.

NihonTiger

Oct 25, 2017
Carter refused to participate in one of the debates in 1980.

The resulting election did not go well for him.

There was a third candidate running in 1980 and Carter didn't go to the first debate because he thought it would help the third party candidate look good.

He was right, Reagan tore the guy to shreds.

Zelas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kind of sad its come to this but it does kills two birds with one stone. Health concerns and muting that actually silences Trump for Biden, not just the audience, is now possible. Will the Trump folks agree to allow that though?
Oh the concern isnt about him agreeing to muting but to the debate period?? Always have to consider all possibilities seriously with this president, smh.

Red

Oct 26, 2017
Yes, but you have to remember, he's also an extremely stupid man.

iksenpets

Oct 26, 2017
Dallas, TX
I really don't want to discount some possibility of a bounce back, but each day in October has really felt like another step downward in the Trump campaign's death spiral. Especially given that people are already voting now. Even toying with the idea of skipping the debate looks like cowardice to voters, especially for a reason as silly as the debate being virtual. That can't resonate at all in a country where half of us have been in a Zoom meeting sometime in the past six months.

Malleymal

Oct 28, 2017
All Biden has to say is "this is the life you chose by not properly attacking the pandemic".

Trump wants Biden to get sick sooooo badly.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Is this the first time a candidate refuses to participate in the debate?

Quoting myself from the other thread (person asked if someone drops out do they just have empty chair?):

This happened once before in 1980. Incumbent president Jimmy Carter refused to debate if the independent candidate was permitted to debate along with him and Reagan. The Independent was a more moderate conservative (generally considered one of the last of the "Rockefeller Republicans," a branch of Northern Republicans -- named after Nelson Rockefeller -- who were more moderate than the conservative Goldwater->Reagan insurgent movement in the GOP), and Carter thought that he'd have to debate two people who'd be attacking him, one from the center and one from the right, and it was a losing gambit. He pulled out and Reagan accepted the debate with the independent, which Carter didn't expect (He assumed Reagan didn't want to essentially have to debate a moderate conservative, who could alienate Reagan from the moderate vote). It didn't work, they had an empty chair in one scene for Carter, and Reagan avoided the characterization from Carter that he was a loose canon, unpredictable, or couldn't be trusted to be president (avoiding the criticism that ultimately doomed Barry Goldwater in 1964).

It was a mistake, Carter debated Reagan in the next debate and is generally thought to have lost.

People have dropped out of debates before, but I'm not sure how many were agreed upon the ground rules ahead of time, and then one of the candidates drops out. It's definitely not common, especially since the "three debate" traditional structure has been normalized (which is kind of a recent thing)

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru

As expected, bitch boy backs out of the second debate. Sad. They should still have a chair there for Trump while Biden does the townhall.

"I'm ready to go, except the quarantine situation that you have for a little while after you get tested or whatever the procedure is"
Man, he's the President and he doesn't even know what the basic procedure is.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Commission had better not backtrack on this. A virtual debate is the best decision. I predict Trump will change his mind as he sees new polls in a few days. And I hope they inform him it's too late, you will not be participating, Mr. President.

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
If Trump actually bails, I'm assuming that would give Joe the entire stage to himself for a couple hours?
He kinda crushed his last town hall. Wouldn't mind seeing more of that.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
I hope that he does not backtrack. Joe gets to be there on his own, the moderator asks an empty chair the question he would have asked Trump and just assumed the worst answer possible.

"Mr President, how do you feel about shitting in every Americans breakfast if you get reelected?"
"..."
"Ok, so you are definitely for shitting in Americans breakfast if reelected, thank you, and you Mr vice President, same question"
"I am definitely against that"
"What a good answer Mr vice President"

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I would actually love it if Joe gets time to himself on stage and can spend some time talking about issues and answering questions without being interrupted by an asshole. I just hope he has something substantive to say, I think now more than ever people want to hear how their lives can be made materially better under Biden's leadership. He needs to absolutely eviscerate Trump on ending the stimulus negotiations.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
I would actually love it if Joe gets time to himself on stage and can spend some time talking about issues and answering questions without being interrupted by an asshole. I just hope he has something substantive to say, I think now more than ever people want to hear how their lives can be made materially better under Biden's leadership. He needs to absolutely eviscerate Trump on ending the stimulus negotiations.
He just did a live televised town hall on Monday.

TitlePending

The Fallen
Dec 26, 2018
If Trump doesn't show up then just let Biden talk and answer questions for the 90 minutes. Works for me!

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017

Yeah, it's a golden opportunity for Biden and he seems to be quite good at the town halls from what I've seen. They can "empty chair" (As empty chair as you can get with online debates) Trump and point out that he didn't even have the courage to do an online session, directly talking with people, how can he expect to lead any more?

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This is perfect. Keeps Biden safe without the optics of having to decline going to the debate. Trump predictably being a child that refuses to do a virtual debate is just the icing on top.

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
If he does walk it back, I think concerns about him "cheating" are not very serious. It's a debate, not a midterm. By all means, have one of his goons feed him shitty talking points from off-camera.
Yeah that's not gonna make a bit of difference, let Mnuchin and a sick Miller yell shit at him while he's trying to debate while being sick himself sounds like a recipe for disaster.

Even better if Trump no-shows

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, that would be dope if Biden just showed up and answered everyone's questions anyway.