• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Didn't they have 60+ player games in the PS2 gen?
Like battlefront?
On the PC at least.
MAG had 256 players on the PS3.

and it was fake like battle royale games either where you meet maybe 2-3 squads max at a time. at the end of the round, if the team was good enough, you had all 256 players converging in the middle of the map. it was amazing.

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
I thought OP would be about PS4Pro and One X existing and making the gap smaller.

But no.

Fitts

You know what that means
Oct 25, 2017
How dare you not play into the hype machine?! I can't believe posts like this are allowed on Era!

Noctis

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Folks expecting these gigantic leaps are the same ones that complain games are taking too long to come out (remember gotta justify the price you paid for that box with those crazy graphics) /s I'm serious too.

severianb

Banned
Nov 9, 2017
I dunno. Going from an HD 7850 to an RTX 2080 seems like quite the leap. Going from a sub-Q6600 CPU to a Ryzen 3700x seems like a good jump too. And going from a 100 MBps 5400rpm laptops drive to a top of line 5000MBps NVME drive seems like a pretty sizable hop.

Yeah, all in all this seems like a pretty massive bump in performance to me.
Yep, this is really the way we need to look at consoles now, in comparison to PC tech, not previous consoles.

The XB1/PS4 had decent mid-range GPUs for the time. The CPU and Hard Drive, however, were slow laptop quality. I remember purchasing a laptop with a 4-core Jaguar CPU and being disgusted with it's slow speed. People joked about it, but they really were unbalanced.

That's been fixed with the PS5/XSX. Now *everything* is high-end PC level. The SSD, the CPU and the GPU. I can't wait.

Albert Penello

Verified
Nov 2, 2017
Redmond, WA
I mean just look at the specs of the PS5/XSX vs the PS4/X1. And then look at the PS5 UE5 demo. For crying out loud these consoles were powered by weak ass notebook like Jaguar CPUs that many devs complained about including the X1X. And now we're getting POWERFUL CPUs that devs are calling that alone a leap. And yet people STILL want to believe we are in for a small leap?

Oh well... People can believe what they want.

It was still an over 3x improvement in CPU. This gen we're getting a 4X improvement.

Javier23

Oct 28, 2017
Judging from the replies on this thread, I think someone needs to get in touch with the Hague Tribunal. This cannnot stand, OP.

Oct 25, 2017
Think of it as less of a leap in terms of graphics, but a massive leap in terms of design and performance with SSDs.
Precisely.

Yeah I think I agree. I was playing through the Uncharted Collection the other day and I realised that a lot of games have changed very little. Sure, graphics improved, some of them got some cool new features; but most of them are really iterations of the PS3/X360-era 'templates' (..altough one could argue that the same goes for the generation before that..)
More or less.

That is where I see next gen having a notable shift. It won't be "prettier PS4 games".

That seems like a silly statement to make when next gen hasn't even started. Some of you have some crazy expectations for next gen.
There was nothing silly or crazy about what I said.

You tried though.

I don't disagree that the PS3->PS4 jump left something to be desired (especially regarding the CPU) but I don't know if I would say this is "actually one of the biggest jumps." The SSD will be nice.

I feel like a lot of people loling about this post don't realize that from the Atari to about the PS2 there was a steady cadence of consoles that were each, like, an order of magnitude (or more!) greater than the previous consoles in every way. The SNES has sixty-four times the RAM of the NES, and thirty-two times the VRAM. And then the PlayStation had sixteen times the RAM and VRAM of the SNES. That doesn't mean that this generation won't be a noticeable increase, or that we won't have good games. But PC technology is just a lot more mature now, and there's fewer huge leaps and bounds.
Sure, I should have just kept it relative to this gen. Just a pretty big jump compared to where we are now.

WillyFive

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it can get worse than PS3/360 to PS4/Xbox One. I hope SSDs will bring the return to catridge gaming golden ages, with no loading screens in sight. That will be a good jump.

Fitts

You know what that means
Oct 25, 2017
You think you're being clever about this shit, but nope.

Shun the non-believer!

Seriously, some of y'all are being assholes and no one — positively or negatively — should be shouting about performance specs until you're actually playing the games on the hardware. Consoles are not PCs.

Oct 28, 2017
The SSD's are the biggest jump we've had since 2D to 3D.
It's certainly a bigger jump from last gen to this gen, but imo not as big as the one before it. 360/PS3 gen was a massive jump. SD to HD and offline to online completely changed modern console gaming. Not sure if ssds will have quite that impact. I'd be happy to be wrong.

His Majesty

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
I don't really agree with all your points but I do feel like the next generation will be more of an evolution of the current generation and that the differences won't be as outspoken as some people are thinking they will be. Personally I will already be happy if games aim for 60 fps for now on, or at least include it as an option.

Nov 2, 2017
Do you define the leap in percentages or in pure compute?

If percentages - you're correct. The largest leap would probably have been between OG Xbox and X360 or PS2 and PS3 (Gen 6 to Gen 7) (discounting data transfer speeds)

If you're talking pure compute, then it's this generation. The lower percentages reflect the slowing of Moore's Law.

My guess is that a lot of the graphics power between X360 -> XB1 and PS3 -> PS4 was eaten up in screen resolution. Given there isn't a huge screen resolution leap I bet we see a bigger leap in graphics between this generation and last, but not as big as between. Gen 6 and Gen 7.
What do you mean? The jump from 1080p -> 4k is much larger than the one from 720p -> 1080p. Of course we don't know if devs are going to be targeting native 4k but even still I expect devs to target alteast double the amount of pixels of 1080p which would be similar to 720p -> 1080p.

Albert Penello

Verified
Nov 2, 2017
Redmond, WA
What do you mean? The jump from 1080p -> 4k is much larger than the one from 720p -> 1080p. Of course we don't know if devs are going to be targeting native 4k but even still I expect devs to target alteast double the amount of pixels of 1080p which would be similar to 720p -> 1080p.

I'm agreeing with you. A lot of GPU compute in Gen 8 was eaten up by driving resolutions.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's certainly a bigger jump from last gen to this gen, but imo not as big as the one before it. 360/PS3 gen was a massive jump. SD to HD and offline to online completely changed modern console gaming. Not sure if ssds will have quite that impact. I'd be happy to be wrong.

There was 'some' online gaming in the PS2/ OG Xbox era with Socom and MGS3 and Halo 2.

And while we did switch to HD it was still 720p, which is terrible nowadays.

We're getting rid of load times, hopefully pop in too, that's been along time coming so for me at least, this is huge.

Quample

Dec 23, 2017
Cincinnati, OH

Yep. I'm praying that Sony go all out with VR this time around. I think people will really begin to see what it means with significantly better hardware. Getting caught in the next console gen minutiae doesn't reach me much these days. I just see better hardware as a nice and much needed refresher, and something that I hope can power what I consider to be the "real" next gen, or at least the part I care more about.

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The SSD will help with more than loading .
The whole point of the UE5 demo is to show how it helps with rendering .
Also thanks to the SSD it will change how devs used ram .
This gen is a big jump but more on the CPU and I\O side and the GPU jump rather good also .
RAM is the smallest jump but they don't need as big a jump as before thanks to the SSD.

Watch it do nothing other than quick load screens and no more "hidden" loads through corridors/elevators.

Like what actual gameplay scenarios other than that do you expect some sort of difference?

DarthSontin

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
I am not an expert, but here is why I think this generation will be a disappointing leap.

Super Nintendo->Nintendo 64 (64x power)

Xbox->Xbox 360 (360x power)

Now, we have Playstation 4->Playstation 5 (a measly 1.25x power)

Stewarto

Oct 27, 2017
I'm more interested in the advancements in animation and interactivity over pure graphical power tbh

Status
Not open for further replies.