• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Buddy

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
First of all let me say I'm very excited about the coming consoles and will buy me a ps5 day 1.

But looking at the specs of the new consoles and I can't be the only one who thinks this.

The only components which are true generational leaps are the CPU power and the storage speed.

Ram we are going from 8gb to 16gb.... that's only a 2x jump. The jump from ps3 to PS4 was 16x.

Gpu performance we are going from 1.8tf to 10.2tf.... that's a ~5x jump. The jump from ps3 to PS4 was 8x.

The jump in storage space is even smaller. We are not even getting a 2x jump from the last gen and the games are certainly not getting smaller.

I am no expert but I play video games since the 80's and from the rough numbers we are seemingly getting the smallest jump ever. It is even smaller when we factor in the pro versions of the systems.

What is the reason for this? Was the same jump not possible from a technical standpoint or do I have a failure in my thought process? Why just a 2 times jump in memory when we were getting normally 10-20 times of a jump for example....

TripaSeca

Oct 27, 2017
São Paulo
Let posterity know that I TripaSeca, at the prime of my cognitive abilities, fully aware of my assessments and under no form of coercion,

On this day I said

No

Annihilator

Nov 10, 2017
West Fargo
Well looking at those numbers yea you can make that argument but getting an SSD is huge that you failed to mention. Also if they get rtx, hdr uniformed on all games and not half baked like hdr is now on most games that will be another game changer.

Jamrock User

Jan 24, 2018
It's been said already but the teraflop jump isn't 5X. The architecture is not equal and therefore 1tflop on PS4 does not equal 1tflop on ps5.

Jan 2, 2018
We should have an archive just for threads like this so we can look back a couple of years down the road and laugh.

Oct 25, 2017
The funny thing is that this upcoming gen is actually one of the biggest jumps.

The PS3->PS4 jump is the smallest.

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
I'm no expert either but SSD's becoming the new baseline sounds very promising.

CrispyGamer

Banned
Jan 4, 2020
Nah we getting CG quality visuals this gen boys n girls with incredible fidelity...the UE5 demo was just a taste of an early engine and an early PS5 dev kit next gen might be the second biggest jump in history

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
GPU is increasing by 8 TF. That's the biggest flops increase yet.

Any discussion like this has to be based on percentages, otherwise the most recent increase will always be the biggest.

Like, if the next-next-gen consoles increase 9 or 10 TF when they are released seven years from now, that would actually be hugely disappointing despite being "the biggest flops increase yet" in nominal terms.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
Aged like milk. This is one of those threads that people go back to in a couple of years to say "lol era"

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
OP if you recheck your numbers you'll see why your math is off.

Also, consider that balanced hardware is sometimes more powerful than imbalanced but theoretically powerful hardware.

Look at the Cell and how much of a bitch in the ass that was. These machines aren't just being made to push the latest console tech, but to do it in an efficient way that might not be all that apparent in the spec sheet. If you made the argument in the case of diminishing returns you might have something there.

This leap, however... I think will have most gamers satisfied once games built around the new I/O tech start arriving.

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands

Yeah I think I agree. I was playing through the Uncharted Collection the other day and I realised that a lot of games have changed very little. Sure, graphics improved, some of them got some cool new features; but most of them are really iterations of the PS3/X360-era 'templates' (..altough one could argue that the same goes for the generation before that..)

Calabi

Oct 26, 2017
Are people clueless. Unreal Engine 5 just showed a generational leap, that plus no loading is kind of crazy, and way beyond what I expected.

Betelgeuse

Nov 2, 2017
You've missed the forest for the trees.

The SSD speed - not storage space! - will enable transformative leaps in game design. It's not just load times, it's the volume and variety of assets you can load, and how fast you can load them, supporting high speed traversal (think Spider-Man or Superman) and instant location/time travel. The Unreal Engine 5 demo demonstrates exactly this.

The leap in CPU will also be transformative, enabling much more complex simulation and interactivity.

There are also a bunch of really significant software developments that will make a big impact. Stuff like VRS and increased use of photogrammetry.

Doctor_Thomas

Oct 27, 2017
There's definitely going to be a point where graphics are goingt o be hard to improve on, but we've always managed it, but I think this is why we need to also look at performance and, most importantly, how developers can use hardware to streamline their own tools to reduce their work loads to reduce the need for crunch, to eliminate it entirely. I have no idea if the hardware coming up helps with that, but hopefully it can.

Combo

Banned
Jan 8, 2019
So SSD is enough to refute the OP? He is talking about GPU performance and then about storage capacity and you counter him with bandwidth?

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
I swear to god you guys boil with the rage and contempt of a thousand suns for someone being skeptical of generational leaps but you're all like "meh, whatever" on actual, literal slavery being involved in their manufacture. Is the honor of next generation consoles so precious that you need to protect it as if your lives depended on it? Get a grip for fuck's sake.

fanboy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Slovakia
It will be the most glotious jump just because of the ssd and new ways to approach level design... next gen games by talented studios that want to he challenged wíll be top notch..

If someone wants photorealistic graphics, make a time jump 20 years in the future

I am extremely excited and i hope that developers will have much more room and their work will be less complicated.

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
I'm expecting snappier UI (at launch at least) and much better load times and visuals a little better than current gen. Same old franchises will look a little better and and feel the same and a few indies will do something crazy cool. Gains made in dev pipeline will be offset by more time spent on graphics. But yeah the generational wow factor wont be as strong as previous jumps.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
The funny thing is that this upcoming gen is actually one of the biggest jumps.

I don't disagree that the PS3->PS4 jump left something to be desired (especially regarding the CPU) but I don't know if I would say this is "actually one of the biggest jumps." The SSD will be nice.

I feel like a lot of people loling about this post don't realize that from the Atari to about the PS2 there was a steady cadence of consoles that were each, like, an order of magnitude (or more!) greater than the previous consoles in every way. The SNES has sixty-four times the RAM of the NES, and thirty-two times the VRAM. And then the PlayStation had sixteen times the RAM and VRAM of the SNES. That doesn't mean that this generation won't be a noticeable increase, or that we won't have good games. But PC technology is just a lot more mature now, and there's fewer huge leaps and bounds.

Status
Not open for further replies.