• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017

This is crazy

Basically, since blue is so rare in nature, people didn't have a reference for it and didn't see it as a distinct color. They thought the sky was just white for example

Pretty much only Ancient Egypt had a concept of blue, because they were pretty much the only ancient culture that could produce a blue dye

The sky was white? The heck...

Danboard

Oct 27, 2017
This entire episode is almost topic on topic very similar to the Podcast Radiolab episode of blue. Goes exactly from Homer to, other civilizations, color order, the Himbia people. The only difference is that Radiolab explains much better why the sky and ocean would not be considered blue.

Davidion

Charitable King
Oct 27, 2017
They couldn't see blue? Lol, that's so stu...

funny-men-woman-colors-chart1.jpg

Oooooooooooooooooooooooooh

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth
TIL. I thought it was used that way (ROC flag) because it was poetic/idiomatic (I've never heard 藍 天 really), but I guess it makes sense in that we always refer to a nice clear blue sky as 青天 which might indicate that it meant something different back in the day. Never thought of that.

Well, techinically speaking,
Only Ancient Egypt? Don't think I buy that.

c579598424341c116e0edb994b2ce747.jpg

8c81125f9770ec4029c5f250702273f9.jpg

Eastern_Han_Luoyang_Mural_of_Liubo_players.jpg

There's also these and the terracotta warrior from the warring state period.
15242728748467p8724rr5r.jpg

152427287481530on719914.jpg

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
Would the black blue/white and gold dress have produced the same results to them then as it did to us today?

west

Oct 28, 2017
They couldn't see blue? Lol, that's so stu...

funny-men-woman-colors-chart1.jpg

Oooooooooooooooooooooooooh

lol. In all honesty, that's an incredibly sexist picture no?

But in any case, it's the need for classifcation that drives color separation. If you are say an interior decorator/ graphics designer, or follow street wear releases you will learn a lot more color names because they start to matter. That does not mean other people cant see the difference, just that its less important to separate them.

Deleted member 11008

User requested account closure
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Fun fact: In Japan, despite GO lights on stoplights being green, and there is obviously a word for green, Japanese people colloquially call GO "blue".

I'd love to really know why. None of my Japanese friends seem to know why.

This topic sounds should be related to something about the collective unconscious. I didn't knew about green-blue difference in Japan and could be a interesting case of study.

Dever

Dec 25, 2019
That doesn't make sense, how did they differentiate the colour of the sky from the colour of clouds?

Cheesebu

Wrong About Cheese
Sep 21, 2020
Embarrassing thread tbh lol. I'm sure it seems deep when you're not very bright.

Deleted member 1698

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That doesn't make sense, how did they differentiate the colour of the sky from the colour of clouds?

"What does the weather look like today?"
"Hmm looks pretty white today, but I don't like the look of those white bits"
"Maybe it will whiten up a bit later. I don't know, the future seems a bit cloudy..."
"Wait, what word did you just use? Cloudy... clouds? Oh shit I can see them now! Oh and the rest of the sky is a completely different colour, I'll never be so blue again!"

panda-zebra

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
I had to take a closer look at this. I could spot the odd one out in the greens but only after looking at them for a long time and even then I was not at all confident - it looked to have slightly greater contrast but if I looked around the other squares kinda did, too, until I came back tot hat one. I couldn't pick it with any real confidence. Asked my son to pick the odd one and he launched at it instantly. I have deuteranomoly though.

Had to check the RBG values for the squares. The odd one was 87,170,1 and the others 72, 166, 7, so the odd one has ever so slightly less red and blue and more green.

balohna

Nov 1, 2017
Surprised by so many people in here saying bodies of water are blue. That's definitely not a uniform thing. The ocean near me looks like a murky green most of the time.

dodo

Oct 27, 2017
This whole myth is bullshit.

en.m.wikipedia.org

Blue - Wikipedia

go read the history section

literally the first line of the history section:

Blue was a latecomer among colours used in art and decoration, as well as language and literature.

this is exactly what the video in the OP is about, it just has a stupid clickbaity title. of course blue "existed", but in many ancient cultures it was not categorized the same way most languages do now.

Jasup

Oct 25, 2017
Yurop
You don't even have to go to ancient times to find examples of colours being categorized differently. A good example of this is the European robin pictured below. It is known as redbreast (or robin redbreast) in several European languages. Of course the bird was named before there was a word for colour orange, so it was considered red.
1920px-European_Robin_looks.jpg

Zom

Oct 25, 2017
Perception of color it's too weird, green is blue, blue is green, magenta doesn't exist and brown is dark orange.

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Here's a really interesting history of pigments over the ages. In the earliest days of human history, there were no blue pigments.

It's a bit tough to view on mobile, but you can click or tap on any of the bars / colors and get a description of what that pigment is, what it's made of, when/where it was used, some example art, etc... For example, here are the two earliest blues, Egyptian Blue and Azurite.

nopressure

Oct 28, 2017
Anybody can look at the sky and recognise blue is different from white.

Ancient civilizations still had human eyes.

Oct 27, 2017
Few things that are pointed out that people are misunderstanding.

A lot of our named colors are just hues or shades of other primary colors. We've decided to pinpoint them out. By pinpointing them out we've established them and as such, we notice them more clearly. By calling a specific shade of Red "Pink" we are now more easily able to identify Pink instead of just calling it "light red".

So with regard to ancient cultures - while they did see blue (obviously), they since it didn't make up any sort of important part of their lives--as in their world didn't didn't have a lot of blue things outside of the sky and the ocean, they had no reason to name it. So instead it was simply a shade of a different color and as such didn't have any importance.

Oct 27, 2017
Is this saying we cannot spot the green square right away? Because I knew it was the second one clockwise instantly.
No, it means that modern people have a harder time distinguishing it. Not that we couldn't all together. Just like in the original test, some of the individuals correctly found the blue square but some got it wrong.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Mediterranean cultures had a concept of blue they see it in nature

Also lapis lazuli was a semi precious stone imported from Afghanistan and decorated the royal palaces of the Persian empire and would surely have made its way west to the Greeks.

It was simply a rare color for decoration

Window

Oct 27, 2017
Man internet misinformation is hard to combat. That colour picking experiment is very likely fabricated for a documentary.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
To add to my post above the Greeks and ancient peoples would have been aware of the Ishtar Gate in Babylonia
en.wikipedia.org

Ishtar Gate - Wikipedia

Alexander the Great most certainly paraded through it to enter Babylon in his conquest of Persia

Nov 6, 2017
People freak out about a "wine dark sea" but you point out the famous quote from Neuromancer "The sky above the port was the color of a television, tuned to a dead channel" and surely it must be obvious what is happening to anyone over 20 or so?

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
Early humans before they developed languages and specific words for different colours must have seen the world in black and white. Thats wild.

construct

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Jun 5, 2020
東京
i can imagine some people looking at teal and thinking blue or green instead, isn't that the same thing?

Baccus

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
This is not a very well researched video. American, african and mid-eastern cultures displayed and used and identified blue very well.

Eurocentrism strikes again.

Superman00

Jan 9, 2018
There is literally an article on wiki for the distinction in languages of blue/green. East Asia, especially languages center around Chinese does not have words exclusively for Green and Blue till recently.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue–green_distinction_in_language

The Japanese word ao (, n., aoi (い, adj.)), the same kanji character as the Chinese qīng, can refer to either blue or green depending on the situation. Modern Japanese has a word for green (, midori), but it is a relatively recent usage.

The modern Chinese language has the blue–green distinction ( lán for blue and for green); however, another word that predates the modern vernacular, qīng (Chinese: ), is also used.

The native Korean word 푸르다 (Revised Romanization: pureu-da) may mean either blue or green, or bluish green.

Vietnamese usually does not use separate words for green and refers to that color using a word that can also refer to blue. In Vietnamese, blue and green are denoted by xanh.