• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

PS9

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I don't see why Gears 6 and Gears Tactics 2 - sequels to two successful games, would be surprising. I think it's very much to be expected.

We all want new IPs and Star Wars games, I'm just being a realist about the studio named after Gears of War. If I'm wrong I'll be happy to play whatever they release, Gears 5 Hivebusters is one of the best games I've played on my Series X and they're clearly a very talented studio.

Deleted member 17184

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"Shifting to a new engine is a big undertaking, so we want to be clear that we will not be announcing any new projects or titles for some time."

I thought they would be almost two years into development on a new game about now. Is the transition from Unreal 4 to 5 going to be that complicated? If so I'm guessing this is a decision that's been made midway through development to ensure they don't release a game that looks weak relative to their peers and crucially the games coming on other platforms.
A major transition like this always takes time. Every major studio adds their own tools to the engine, and so they have to rework their tools for UE5. Developers also have to familiarize themselves with the new engine, work on internal documentation, and so on.

Azerth

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
While gears has never been my kind of game for the coalition are one of the best devs when it comes to using unreal. Cant wait to see what they come up with

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Sweet

If Coalition got UE5 early, I hope that Square did too. I need FF7-R Volume 2 to be on that engine.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
Expected. I suppose pretty much most big studios working on Unreal games hitting next year and beyond will be UE5.

Both recent Gears games are pretty impressive graphically, so interested to see what they deliver.

tapedeck

Oct 28, 2017
I don't see why Gears 6 and Gears Tactics 2 - sequels to two successful games, would be surprising. I think it's very much to be expected.

We all want new IPs and Star Wars games, I'm just being a realist about the studio named after Gears of War. If I'm wrong I'll be happy to play whatever they release, Gears 5 Hivebusters is one of the best games I've played on my Series X and they're clearly a very talented studio.
Gears 6 is happening we all know this, Tactics 2 I highly doubt anytime soon maybe down the road after other projects.

There's been persistent rumors for the past year that TC is working on a brand new IP, whatever your feelings on Jeff Grubb hes about as reliable of an 'insider' as we've got. TC themselves have said that MS let's them do whatever they want and they want to branch out.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
Someone resolve this for me. The UE5 Alpha isn't out yet. Have studios like Coalition been given some sort of early access to the engine? Or is this more of a statement that they WILL be moving to UE5 when it releases?

Generally speaking, prominent studios in the industry have very early access to software and hardware to contribute with their feedback, thoughts and expertise, and to drive both changes and features to future software and hardware. :)

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Sounds like a long way off, so I'd be surprised if they were still using UE4 then.

DopeyFish

Oct 25, 2017
So I guess the engine is released?

The Coalition is a developer that has influence on Unreal Engine. They heavily modify it and incorporate new features which eventually make it into later versions. They're a big tech team in that way which probably gives them a bit of a priority over other studios.

Azerth

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017

While there could be a gears tactics 2 it would probably be made by an outside studio like the first one was mainly developed by splash damage

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
Gears 5 is honestly the best looking last gen game on X1X, and supposedly on XSX it and Hivebusters look like incredible games as well. A full UE 5 game from them would be fucking incredible.

"Shifting to a new engine is a big undertaking, so we want to be clear that we will not be announcing any new projects or titles for some time."

I thought they would be almost two years into development on a new game about now. Is the transition from Unreal 4 to 5 going to be that complicated? If so I'm guessing this is a decision that's been made midway through development to ensure they don't release a game that looks weak relative to their peers and crucially the games coming on other platforms.
Now I'm no game dev so my understanding is limited and all that, but Epic has stated that are designing UE5 so that devs can easily convert their existing UE 4 projects to UE 5, so any existing development on Gears 6 and other games will theoretically be able to be transferred to UE5 without much issue.

That being said, in order to fully take advantage of all the UE5 features, I have to imagine they'll have to adapt their tools and work flow to all the new stuff in the engine from UE4 and I wouldn't be surprised if there are still things that would need to be reworked or something

The Bookerman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can't wait to see Gears Pop on UE5. ;)

It's not surprising considering Gears' heritage.

Can't wait to see more of UE 5 and it's possibilities. I hope Blueprints stick around.

Rogote

Oct 25, 2017
Gears 5 looked pretty alright in some spots so I'm sure gears 6 will look pretty.

Corralx

Aug 23, 2018
London, UK

If they were using Unreal Engine as a black box the transition would be much easier.
The Coalition has a lot of modifications and improvements done to Unreal Engine 4 for their needs.
On top of that a lot of the rendering is significantly rewritten and optimised for their needs and doesn't use the standard UE4 path.
This makes the transition significantly harder.

Djalminha

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 22, 2020
Managing expectations ahead of E3.

Cool confirmation of multiple projects. With how many studios Xbox has, shifting to a new engine and the pandemic, I don't expect an announcements until maybe Game Awards 2022, unless it's some early teaser. I'd expect both their new games to be late 2023 or 2024.

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia

It can be.
Sometimes even going up a version of UE4, like from 4.21 to 4.23 may break stuff or cause things to not work correctly. And they'll have to go in and look for what broke or caused the problems. This is why we usually lock to a version when we're deep into production. Too many things that needs to be checked lol. It's easier to update/upgrade when it's still pre-production or still early in dev.
Sometimes the performance boost or fixed issues or new features is worth updating, usually not. I reckon they've weighted what they can gain from UE5 compared to UE4 to the time they will need to spend updating their projects.

Additionally, I'd imagine studios like Coalition probably has many custom tools on UE4 made for their games by their programmers. These tools will have to be checked and revalidated or maybe rewritten when they change to UE5.

Fuchsia

Oct 28, 2017
Plz have one of these be Star Wars. I want to see what they can do with it. Absolute wizards.

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
Wasn't expecting the first team to make an official announcement would be MS first party but yeah !
Can't wait.
Not really a fan of the series but Gears 6 is going to look incredible.

It will take a while though; while the transition from UE4 to 5 is supposed to be smooth, i'd imagine you'll want new assets to take advantage of the engine.

Mido

Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully the Lucasfilm rumour is true. Edit: Apparently TC has said it's not.

Last edited:

CrunchyFrog

Oct 28, 2017
Gonna be expensive if true, but would be cool to see a new bleeding edge headset in the consumer market. Sony will be missing a big opportunity though if they don't make it PC-compatible. Given their push into that space recently, you can't look at the consistent sales of the index and not see some kind of market there, even if it isn't Quest 2 level

ItIsOkBro

Happy New Year!!
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
since your peripheral vision is already less detailed, does foveated rendering make the peripheral super extra blurry?

rntongo

Banned
Jan 6, 2020

So Coalition is moving onto Unreal Engine 5 for their next gen titles. Hope they push out some interesting new IPs.

Stike

Oct 27, 2017
I doubt PSVR was losing them money when it released at $399. We are talking about a niche product, I doubt they will sell PSVR 2 at a loss either.
The first PSVR was a bit of a gamble, because nobody had an idea how it would sell and what players would like to prefer (price vs. visuals).

With the second iteration I am sure they have a better focus what to do and estimating demand. I am sure it will be a bigger success than the first.

Oct 25, 2017
Oct 25, 2017
Can't wait to see the advancements in real-time graphics rendering they will bring thanks to the power of Zen 2 + RDNA2 and Unreal 5. Gears 5 was pure wizardry. Coalition is Microsoft best studio atm.