• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

WhiskerFrisker

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Christ. Do not take that boring ass bullshit for climbing found in Botw. How is climbing like you're moving through molasses any fun? Climbing in Botw is so damn tedious and I pray no one takes inspiration from that. The only think it's good for is making you think for a split second because Link's stamina isn't good enough.

lordlad

Banned for trolling with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Singapore
That's technically why the climbing mechanics are the way they are in Uncharted — in service of their combat scenarios that offer verticality to spice up encounters. From what I've read, there was a more involved mechanic in Uncharted 4 originally, but it didn't make the cut because the combat suffered as a result. This is why we have those long stretches in the final game where we're tediously climbing.
yup...threads like these are the vocal minority....

i'm not saying they shouldn't be discussed but it's almost a certainty that these were discussed by the devs themselves and even playtested but were abandoned after playtesting...

It's almost like saying why can't crash/sonic/megaman/arthur/belmont control and jump more like mario. Not every game is the same. Not every game focused on the same thing. And most certainly not every game needs to be the same/similar.

OP
OP
RexNovis

RexNovis

Oct 25, 2017
Those people are completely missing the point then. God of War isn't a puzzle game like The Witness or a platformer like Prince of Persia, it's a character action game. Combat is the focus. Everything else is there to help break it up and pace the game out.
Just because something isnt the focus of a game doesnt mean it has a carte blanche to be boring and uncompelling. A game doing one thing incredibly well but having other parts executed in a way that is not fun or entertaining is still a game that is not fun or entertaining for some extent of the time you are playing the game. The goal should always be to make any action or part of a game fun for the player or at the very least interesting/compelling. These climbing sections are none of those things in any of the games they are in. Even the ones in which they are a core mechanic (Uncharted 4).

Revolsin

Usage of alt-account.
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It doesn't bother me because it's usually for less than a minute or two at a time, though can be longer in some parts of uncharted. It doesn't bore me per se, but I don't need climbing to be the exciting gameplay loop that brings me back.

FWIW I found the climbing in BOTW wildly overrated and can't understand why everyone loves it so much.

The climbing in BotW is brilliant, because of the stamina management. It's like a challenge every time you see a big mountain, you have to determine which places on it you might need to rest, determine how much distance you can actually cover with your stamina amount, see if you have enough spare to make any detours to items stuck on the sides, and make strategic jumps to balance getting there faster while also conserving enough stamina.

Getting to the top of a high mountain feels like a real achievement every single time.

It's a genuinely engaging and enjoyable part of the game. I honestly find it hard to believe any game could make climbing actually a fun act to perform given its repetitive nature, but BotW did it very well.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2017
In Uncharted 1/2/3 it was generally used as a brief palette cleanser between gunfights and story beats. UC4 seemed to somehow believe it was enough fun to be it's own pillar of gameplay with extensive climbing bits and no combat breaking it up, but I think it worked fine in the earlier games. They just have to make sure it doesn't outstay it's welcome, since it's not fun in and of itself.

lordlad

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Singapore
Just because something isnt the focus of a game doesnt mean it has a carte blanche to be boring and uncompelling. A game doing one thing incredibly well but having other parts executed in a way that is not fun or entertaining is still a game that is not fun or entertaining for some extent of the time you are playing the game. The goal should always be to make any action or part of a game fun for the player or at the very least interesting/compelling. These climbing sections are none of those things in any of the games they are in. Even the ones in which they are a core mechanic (Uncharted 4).

i have fun with the climbing... :P So going by the dev's choice, they chose my preferences over yours :P

SoundCheck

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'm with you Op. I just finished Uncharted 4 and I spent more time climbing rather than shooting people.

DMVfan123

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
The climbing in Sony games is fine to me, doesn't hamper the experience IMO
Spider-Man will show all these Sony first-party studios how climbing is really done tho

lordlad

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Singapore
The climbing in BotW is brilliant, because of the stamina management. It's like a challenge every time you see a big mountain, you have to determine which places on it you might need to rest, determine how much distance you can actually cover with your stamina amount, and make strategic jumps to balence getting there faster while also conserving enough stamina. It's a genuinely enjoyable part of the game.
until it rains..............

FusionNY

Oct 25, 2017
This absolutely killed Uncharted 4 for me. I got to chapter 9 before I couldn't justify wasting anymore time on it. Up until that point the game was about 60% platforming, and this style of platforming is just not engaging.

nbnt

Oct 26, 2017
Yep and yep. And it's not limited to Sony's games, pretty much most modern games with climbing are this:

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
That's technically why the climbing mechanics are the way they are in Uncharted — in service of their combat scenarios that offer verticality to spice up encounters. From what I've read, there was a more involved mechanic in Uncharted 4 originally, but it didn't make the cut because the combat suffered as a result. This is why we have those long stretches in the final game where we're tediously climbing.
Are you talking moving Drake with the sticks? Because that's in the final game, it's just not engaging:
lNoiPBX.gif

Oct 25, 2017
Real talk. It's fine for me. The control of most of these games don't lend themselves well to true platforming so the climbing in most Sony games is fine.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I always prefer when they're easier like this. Timed jumps, or the worst, dying or have to restart a climb after a failed jump is what's more annoying than anything else. It's a means to an end, and not the core gameplay experience, so I don't want it making the game any harder than it should be.

Climb buttons, or parkour buttons like in some AC and Watch_Dogs 2 are so much better than any alternative imo.

Lunatic

Oct 27, 2017
Agreed, most climbing in games has turned into a more laborious, slower version of walking these days. When I see a cliff face in a game I tend to groan now a days at my fate of holding maybe 1 directional button and maybe A button for a few minutes while the game basically plays itself.

Sotha_Sil

Nov 4, 2017
I think my favorite was Nathan Drake on the edge of extreme dehydration, barely able to walk or crawl...... then five seconds later he's throwing himself up a 50 foot chasm with conveniently placed handholds amd punching out 30 mercenaries.

I never liked Naughty Dog climbing, but that scene was just utter garbage and instantly ruined the ten minutes preceding it (which wasn't fun or enjoyable either).

Oct 29, 2017
Yeah I'm really not a fan. Climbing in God of War is boring in the exact same way as in Uncharted 4. Thankfully it always seems very brief in God of War.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
I think my favorite was Nathan Drake on the edge of extreme dehydration, barely able to walk or crawl...... then five seconds later he's throwing himself up a 50 foot chasm with conveniently placed handholds amd punching out 30 mercenaries.

I never liked Naughty Dog climbing, but that scene was just utter garbage and instantly ruined the ten minutes preceding it (which wasn't fun or enjoyable either).

Oh I loved the whole desert part! The way I see it people just "need" control and agency every last second of a game, I don't know why is that, some just have zero patience.

Valus

Nov 21, 2017
But it's not boring at all. There was plenty of character interaction that kept me engaged while climbing. Dunno what to tell you, go play a platformer if you prefer jumping challenges to character dialogue.

Amaterasu

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I had so many nailbiters when I was playing BotW. Getting right to a ledge right before running out of stamina was rather exciting for something so simple.

Jawbreaker

Oct 25, 2017
New York City

BlacJack

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Furthermore, why are so many of us as gamers happily accepting this modern trimmed down heavily neutered "climbing" game design when such a better way of doing this was done 15 years ago. 15 years ago people! We heavily criticize so many other ways in which the industry has simplified and dumbed down design in order to appeal to a more mainstream audience but for some reason NOBODY ever talks about this and I am left wondering why that is. Speaking personally I couldn't be more tired of it at this point. It is essentially my biggest pet peeve with the modern Sony design template and its something I believe we as gamers need to address as something we see substantial room for improvement in.

Gaming in general is neutered, in almost all aspects, for AAA big blockbuster games, and I think in part you might understand this a little easier if you simply remove SONY from the title. It isn't just Sony. It's EVERY publisher that has climbing segments in it. The new Tomb Raiders are BORING to climb and navigate because of no failure states. The old series was big on that, and it was harder and more interesting for it. Assassin's Creed has BORING easily done climbing segments, it basically climbs itself. Uncharted/GoW/Horizon as you already mentioned, do the same thing. Pick ANY AAA game released in the past 5 years at least with climbing mechanics and it will be like this.

People like easy things that look cool. It appeals to more people than hard combat/climbing etc. It's just the way of the beast. Developers attempt to appeal to as many people as they can when so much money is at stake.

Your confusion comes from your odd focus on a certain publisher and not realizing that this has been don to all games in all mechanic categories (combat, mission design, strategic layers, etc) and IS complained about a lot on these forums. You just finally ran into a particular item that it seems to bug you on. This isn't new or selective to Sony. It's a plague that the entire industry is succumbing to, lol.

This is precisely why indie games got so big in the past decade as well. They are cheaper to make and therefore can take more "risks" with the gameplay design, making them harder or more niche. There is a large market out there for difficult game design (look at Souls). It just isn't going to sell Assassin's Creed/CoD/Uncharted/GTA numbers. So publishers won't put as much money into them.

i-hate-u

Oct 25, 2017
Agreed. Though, I think it's there in GoW to mask loading times. This shit needs a fail state, and needs to be fast and snappy.

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
These kind of threads make me think that there are people with no patience at all. Like you can't stand a couple of seconds of gaming time not doing what defines the genre of the game you're playing.
And by that logic... why have dialogue in pokemon? It's filler between battles!.. why have platforming in kh? Just filler between battles! Etc.

Falconbox

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buffalo, NY
These kind of threads make me think that there are people with no patience at all. Like you can't stand a couple of seconds of gaming time not doing what defines the genre of the game you're playing.
And by that logic... why have dialogue in pokemon? It's filler between battles!.. why have platforming in kh? Just filler between battles! Etc.

It's not that people don't like climbing. They just want it to be more engaging.

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I did find it kinda dull in Uncharted 4 (possibly due to the volume of it), but in God of War it felt more like a welcome moment of rest between other things.

There's definitely room for improvement/innovation there, though.

Snormy

I'll think about it
Oct 25, 2017
Morizora's Forest
If its going to be a linear path without any fail states I'm more than happy for the devs to allow an auto-pilot type cheat thing so I can sip my coffee in the mean time or something. Sometimes it can be fun to look at but it isn't really enjoyable to play at this point, not when we've seen it so many times before.

Funkallero

Oct 28, 2017
Tokyo
I kinda like the climbing in Infamous Second Son. It was simple, fast and fun.
You could literally hang to everything lol

Rizific

Oct 27, 2017
As someone who finished gow and jumped into horizon right after, I completely agree. Especially in gow, so many segments of "hold L stick up to advance". So stupid and fucking boring. Not as prevalent in horizon, but equally as soulless. Idk if it's to mask loading, but I guess I'll take the boring climbing instead of a load screen.

BIGLukas

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA
It's one of those things where I can totally get why people hate it and I really feel like I should hate it too but in practice it never bothers me one bit.

joshcam19

Nov 11, 2017
Never bothered me. I think U4 did a better job of it, adding the grappling hook and pick. You want a Sony First Party Game (or any game) with better climbing...? Shadow of the Colossus Remake.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017

I feel like you need to re-read the OP - this is not what he's saying at all. It's not a thread railing at downtime or dialogue segments - it's that platforming in Sony first party titles has become overly simplistic and homogenized between titles.

Platforming and climbing should be engaging and challenging just like the combat, but Sony first party studios have clearly emphasized the latter and de emphasized the former.

terrible

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
This is a huge issue for me. I hate all the climbing sections with zero stakes in every game that has them. They aren't fun and they aren't interesting in any way. They're a complete waste of time.