• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Was this thread interesting and/or helpful to you?

• Yes, this thread was interesting and/or helpful. Thank you!

Votes: 425 92.2%
  • No, this thread was neither interesting nor helpful. Shut up!

Votes: 36 7.8%

• Total voters

Bigg

Oct 25, 2017
I think that is certainly worth something.
Off that one photo I would guess it's about a PSA 7. Would certainly be harsh to grade less than that, the cantering is good, the edges look good from the front it's just the scratch and whitening on the edges on the back.

but considering someone has tried to make Oragami with this card and it's still got a bid for £100 I would say you've got a very nice card there

www.ebay.co.uk

Rare 1st edition Lugia 9/111 Pokemon card. | eBay

<p>Rare 1st edition Lugia 9/111 Lightly played Pokemon card. Crisp bottom corners but minor wearing top corners and light crease in middle as seen on picture. Condition is "Used". Dispatched with Royal Mail Signed For® 1st Class Large Letter.</p>
Thank you for this! Very useful. Amazed that someone actually put a bid on that crumpled up card, haha. Guess mine isn't too bad in comparison.

If anyone else has input/opinions I'd appreciate them as well.

OP
OP
Finale Fireworker

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Thank you for this! Very useful. Amazed that someone actually put a bid on that crumpled up card, haha. Guess mine isn't too bad in comparison.

I'm with Punished Dan that the condition is "okay." I think PSA 7 is your best case scenario but I would be surprised if it got that high. I wouldn't recommend grading the card. This is something that would appeal more to a binder collector who is less intensely focused on condition.

This card is more heavily played/damaged than your own and it still sold for $234.

If it were me, I'd list a bit high (maybe $400-$500) with an offer option and see what kind of offers you get. I don't think $250-$300 would be out of the question here. :)

Deleted member 11626

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm simply trying to amass my favorite Pokémon generations, 1-251, and I nearly have all of the holographics out of those. Missing Blissey, Porygon2, Crobat, Raikou, Misdreavus, and Typhlosion, and then I can focus on the commons and uncommons for 152-251. Gen 1 is nearly complete.

Is eBay my only shot at rounding them all out? Typhlosion is super expensive on there, and my dream of snagging Shining Gyarados is all but dashed.

Also have a near mint Charizard holo from Expedition that I'm thinking about getting graded to see what it's worth. Is PSA the only rating worth getting?

Punished Dan

Oct 27, 2017

Even that crumpled card slapped in a PSA case would add value to it, even if it was a PSA1. Maybe because it would be the only one graded so low haha!!!

The interesting thing i find with cards is the whole ungraded Vs graded debate and the many factors that feed into that.

I've seen cards with quite significant flaws, scratches, white dots on the border, edge wear etc grade very well.
PSA graders are only human and sometimes they will not see flaws on the card. The other thing they will factor in is does the defect (?) take away from the over all appeal of the card.

That's why you'll find Beckett graded cards and PSA cards don't match like for like grade wise. That and the fact Beckett are a bit stricter and grade on specific things.

You'll also find some collectors who will quite happily send the same card away multiple times because sometimes the score is just a matter of opinion.

My own PSA 9 Gyarados is a good example of this. I'm perfectly happy with an 9 and expected closer to a 8 or even 7 as it wasn't fresh out of a pack. It was a card I bought online that was decent condition but nothing special.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Finale Fireworker

Finale Fireworker

Oct 25, 2017
United States
I'm simply trying to amass my favorite Pokémon generations, 1-251, and I nearly have all of the holographics out of those. Missing Blissey, Porygon2, Crobat, Raikou, Misdreavus, and Typhlosion, and then I can focus on the commons and uncommons for 152-251. Gen 1 is nearly complete.

Is eBay my only shot at rounding them all out? Typhlosion is super expensive on there, and my dream of snagging Shining Gyarados is all but dashed.

Also have a near mint Charizard holo from Expedition that I'm thinking about getting graded to see what it's worth. Is PSA the only rating worth getting?
I usually say "it's eBay or nothing" but this isn't entirely true. If you're just looking for regular prints of cards and aren't too concerned with condition, you could always buy from a retailer like Troll & Toad. They're pretty cheap, most of the time. But these will usually be played cards. As long as you're cool with that this is always an option.

But in terms of the freedom and flexibility eBay affords you I have never found a suitable alternative. Local marketplaces like Craig's List of Facebook can be good for buying whole collections or mixed lots, but that's its own type of headache.

As for grading services, yes, PSA is the only real name in the game. Beckett is another company that provides a similar service but I don't recommend it. "PSA" is such an ingrained term now. It is how people describe cards, even cards that aren't graded. People with Beckett graded cards usually still have to put PSA in their titles to get hits.

DiceHands

Oct 27, 2017
Good morning! Let's see what you've got here. Thanks for waiting while I got back to you. Before we get started, I want to answer your question upfront about those cards you found with $1,000 asking prices. This is important to understanding how Pokémon cards are valued and where these kinds of prices come from. This is discussed in the OP but I'll provide a succinct explanation here.

Condition is king in Pokémon, like with most collector's mediums. People want quality cards in as good condition as possible. Many people buy and sell cards loose leaf, but this is a real pain. People have wildly different ideas of what "near mint" means and many auctions will not describe the card at all and just task you with looking at the pictures. Therefore, it is more work and sometimes more difficult to get a card in quality condition. This is where graded cards come in.

Graded cards, like the auction you linked, are cards that have been professionally evaluated by Professional Sports Authenticators. They grade the card on a scale of 1 to 10 and encapsulate it in a tamper-proof plastic container, which you can see in the auction you found. PSA grades 8, 9, and 10 are the high end of the market and what most people are after when they seek out graded cards. But getting these grades can be very difficult, especially with old Generation I cards. So any graded card, especially 1st Editions, is going to be worth a lot more money to collectors who can now buy it with an assurance of quality.

Now, all that said, this Hypno is not worth $700, even as a PSA 9. This is a live auction, meaning it hasn't sold, which is crucial. People can ask whatever they want for their stuff. So when assessing the value of your cards, it is important you look at sold auctions. What people are asking doesn't mean as much compared to what people are paying.

When we search sold auctions instead, we can see a PSA 9 1st Edition Hypno sold on the 18th for $133. Nothing to scoff at, but not $700 either. As I go through your cards, I will give you estimates based on sold auctions for ungraded cards.

• The Charizard, Blastoise, and Venusaur trifecta is great to have. These sell very quickly and in all kinds of conditions because these are the cards people specifically seek out when they start collecting Pokémon again. Of all your cards, these will be the easiest to sell. You can sell them individually or even as a trio because there's a market for people just getting started who want them all at once. These are all the standard unlimited prints of the cards. Charizard sold for $500 flat this morning (and other $500 auctions are linked throughout the thread, so this price is very stable right now). Blastoise has several auctions that listed for around $200 that sold to best offers (not disclosed), but that's safely a $150 card. Venusaur is in a similar price range as Blastoise. These three card on their own are worth at least $700, which is amazing, right?

• You correctly observe that Gengar and Hypno are 1st Editions, which is great. 1st Editions are always worth more money. These cards are only modestly valuable, but they still sell easily because people often collect 1st Edition sets one card at a time. A Gengar did sell for $241 yesterday, but to tell you the truth this seems too high. This is probably the result of just a couple of over-eager bidders. Other auctions in the last three days have Gengar moving for $100 flat, which is more in line what I expect. Hypno is in a similar position here. There is a high-end auction that went for $279 yesterday, but this strikes me as high. I would expect that $80-$100 in this case. I'm not sure what's up with the recent auctions that went for 2.5x market value. Sometimes it just happens. But it's good to be realistic.

• As for your Japanese cards, that's outside my expertise. Japanese cards are hard to price in general. But Lugia is worth a little something for sure. But if you search sold listings, there's auctions as low as $30 and as high $222. I see lots of auctions in the $60-$70 range though, which seems like it would be easy to get. Japanese card prices are all over the place for various reasons. So while it's hard to give you a good sense of what they're worth, it's still worth exploring what they'd sell for. So keep your expectations in check but you might be surprised. I'm going to leave it at that for the JP cards because I don't want to steer you in the wrong direction. Someone with more experience with Japanese cards might be able to chime in.

• As for the rest of your cards, you have some nice holos mixed in to the other pictures. Zapdos and Moltres may net you more than the others, but you can generally estimate holos to be worth $10 and non-holo rares to be worth $4. This is a very rough estimate, and some cards might surprise you, but this is a good way to establish a sort of baseline value for a mixed lot. You don't want to over-estimate and you want to have level expectations on your return. When it comes time to list them, you can look for a more concrete price to start at. But if you scoop them up now with these numbers in mind you have a couple hundred more bucks in your more supplementary cards.

So you have a lot of money here! Over $1000 for sure.

The next question is now, given how this post started, whether it would be worth grading your cards. Grading cards takes a long time, costs money, but can massively multiply the amount of money you'd get out of any given card. Your most gradeable cards are Charizard, Blastoise, and Venusaur. But whether or not they're worth grading is really going to depend on you being honest with yourself about their condition. You want at least 8s to make the investment worth your time and effort. But as you can see, even PSA 8s command a ton more money over their ungraded counterparts. This value only increases further and further if you get back a 9. It's not likely you will get back a 10. 10s require really fresh cards. But 8s and 9s are serious money depending on the card.

But not every card is worth grading. As we saw with the Hypno, it really doesn't go for that much more money to sell a PSA 9 Hypno than just selling it as it is. This wouldn't be worth the time/money sink to get the card graded.

Let me know if you have more questions! :)

Holy smokes dude, you are amazing. What a well-written and detailed explanation of everything. This is such a huge help. Im surprised to hear that my collection from what only youve seen is near 1k, thats crazy!!

I would have a very hard time selling these as its my personal collection that I grew up with and really do cherish. But if the prices sky rocket even more, then I might be forced to, haha.

Thank you so much for taking the time out of your day to look that over and write that up, it really means a lot!

Unfortunately, I dont envision my Charizard getting a very high grade. When I was in 5th grade, my "girl friend" at the time took the card and THREW it during recess. I cried uncontrollably. So there are some visual scratches on the card itself. The others however are in really good condition and have been sleeved and in top-loaders for a majority of their life. The hypno and gengar are as close to "mint" as possible.

My last question would be, outside of what I pictured here, is there a card that is super valuable? If so, I probably have it! Or is it mainly the trifecta that goes for the most?

Ororo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So I was taking a look at the cost of PSA grading and for mine it'd be around $50, you mentioned my charizard would be about $500, but that's only graded? Is it really worth it?

OP
OP
Finale Fireworker

Finale Fireworker

Oct 25, 2017
United States
So I was taking a look at the cost of PSA grading and for mine it'd be around $50, you mentioned my charizard would be about $500, but that's only graded? Is it really worth it?
I only give ungraded prices and link to ungraded auctions unless specifically talking about graded cards. Your Charizard is cash money as it is. :)

OP
OP
Finale Fireworker

Finale Fireworker

Oct 25, 2017
United States
I've seen cards with quite significant flaws, scratches, white dots on the border, edge wear etc grade very well.
PSA graders are only human and sometimes they will not see flaws on the card. The other thing they will factor in is does the defect (?) take away from the over all appeal of the card.

That's why you'll find Beckett graded cards and PSA cards don't match like for like grade wise. That and the fact Beckett are a bit stricter and grade on specific things.

You'll also find some collectors who will quite happily send the same card away multiple times because sometimes the score is just a matter of opinion.

My own PSA 9 Gyarados is a good example of this. I'm perfectly happy with an 9 and expected closer to a 8 or even 7 as it wasn't fresh out of a pack. It was a card I bought online that was decent condition but nothing special.

With PSA grading more and more cards it's natural that you see more and more examples of cards that maybe didn't deserve the grade they got, but this Shining Raichu really stood out to me when I saw it: https://www.ebay.com/itm/193643281699

raichuyajli.jpg

raichu2g6kao.jpg

I like to think they knew they had a bogus grade because they included this in their description:
People judge cards differently even at PSA you could send the same card in and have two different examiners and get different PSA Grades.

Because man, the edges on this thing are brutal. The top right (from the front) has a completely crushed corner. This makes a mockery of the "Near Mint - Mint" grade that an 8 is supposed to represent. Ever since I saw this I've been extra careful reviewing my 8s. You can't quite take it for granted like you used to.

But you're right about people submitting the same card over and over hoping to get a higher grade. People must be somewhat successful because people advertise their graded cards as potential regrade candidates. I am not a fan of this.

kodax_shc

Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
Just want to say thank you for this thread. I sold my southern islands set for nearly $400. Paid for most of one of my next gen consoles.

Was a little sad to part with the set. I still remember picking it up at the Wizards of the Coast store, but that's just too much cash to leave in a binder in my closet.

OP
OP
Finale Fireworker

Finale Fireworker

Oct 25, 2017
United States
Holy smokes dude, you are amazing. What a well-written and detailed explanation of everything. This is such a huge help. Im surprised to hear that my collection from what only youve seen is near 1k, thats crazy!!

I would have a very hard time selling these as its my personal collection that I grew up with and really do cherish. But if the prices sky rocket even more, then I might be forced to, haha.

Thank you so much for taking the time out of your day to look that over and write that up, it really means a lot!

Unfortunately, I dont envision my Charizard getting a very high grade. When I was in 5th grade, my "girl friend" at the time took the card and THREW it during recess. I cried uncontrollably. So there are some visual scratches on the card itself. The others however are in really good condition and have been sleeved and in top-loaders for a majority of their life. The hypno and gengar are as close to "mint" as possible.

My last question would be, outside of what I pictured here, is there a card that is super valuable? If so, I probably have it! Or is it mainly the trifecta that goes for the most?
It's my pleasure, I am happy to help! I made this thread to help people and talk about Pokémon. It is keeping me alive.

As for super valuable cards to seek out, I think it's better to evaluate the cards you own and see what they're worth versus seeking out an expensive card specifically. Few cards have the weight of Charizard. But lots of cards are worth $20, $30, $40, etc. You wouldn't go digging in hopes of finding a $30, but if you had six of them sitting in a binder that's a much bigger payout. You know what I mean? That's why I ask people to post pictures of their holos. If there's something really valuable, I can point it out. But in the case that they're all sort of flat, you can price them out and find their worth by volume.

There's really only a few solid rules:
1. Charizards always sell no matter which they are.
2. 1st Edition Holos always sell and are worth more money.
3. Complete sets make for fast, easy cash and always sell.
4. The Southern Islands Binder is having its fifteen minutes of fame right now and completely blew up over the last two months. I couldn't tell you why.

Other than that I'd just see what you have instead of looking for anything specific.

OP
OP
Finale Fireworker

Finale Fireworker

Oct 25, 2017
United States
Just want to say thank you for this thread. I sold my southern islands set for nearly $400. Paid for most of one of my next gen consoles.

Was a little sad to part with the set. I still remember picking it up at the Wizards of the Coast store, but that's just too much cash to leave in a binder in my closet.
Can I threadmark this as a testimonial? I'm so happy you benefited.

Punished Dan

Oct 27, 2017
xTNwxqv.png

I've never bought from Buyee (Yahoo JPN Auctions proxy service) but here is a good idea of the value that is available if you look hard enough. Insane price!!

OP
OP
Finale Fireworker

Finale Fireworker

Oct 25, 2017
United States
xTNwxqv.png

I've never bought from Buyee (Yahoo JPN Auctions proxy service) but here is a good idea of the value that is available if you look hard enough. Insane price!!
It's really very shocking how inexpensive Japanese cards are compared to their English analogs. I have heard for many years that Japan does not have the same kind of collector's culture that the broad West has and this seems like a very tangible example. If anyone lives in Japan, is it correct that there just is not the same interest in this sort of thing over there?

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
It's really very shocking how inexpensive Japanese cards are compared to their English analogs. I have heard for many years that Japan does not have the same kind of collector's culture that the broad West has and this seems like a very tangible example. If anyone lives in Japan, is it correct that there just is not the same interest in this sort of thing over there?

I think there are some cases where Japanese goods are worth more than their english counterparts (I think Pokemon plush may be in this case... Japanese hang tags are way better!) but you're right, where things here are more valuable. Look at Sega Saturn games. Pay up the butt in english, but very affordable in Japanese.

I think this could be due to a few reasons:
-Surplus of these things in Japan (in the case of Saturn, it was more popular)
-Finding things in prestine condition is easier in Japan (different cultural reasons, with Japan often taking care of their goods, whereas western kids can be rough, throw out material, etc., since packaging was meant to be thrown out and toys to be played with).
-The west might be a bigger investers' market? (Not sure how true this is, but it feels like stuff go up in price in Japan, due to limited printings/rareity, but in the west, goods follow popularity trends and what goes for "a high amount" to sit on and "be worth money one day").

Biestmann

Oct 25, 2017
I have some 1st gen holos... all in German. Outside of the US market, where understandably there is much higher demand, you won't get rich off these.

Bigg

Oct 25, 2017
I'm with Punished Dan that the condition is "okay." I think PSA 7 is your best case scenario but I would be surprised if it got that high. I wouldn't recommend grading the card. This is something that would appeal more to a binder collector who is less intensely focused on condition.

This card is more heavily played/damaged than your own and it still sold for $234.

If it were me, I'd list a bit high (maybe $400-$500) with an offer option and see what kind of offers you get. I don't think $250-$300 would be out of the question here. :)
Oh yeah, I should be clear I wasn't planning to grade it, since I know it would likely not be worth the time/investment. But I figure if I can get $200 or more off of something that would otherwise be collecting dust in my parents house, then why not?

Again, ty to you and Dan for the advice.

Punished Dan

Oct 27, 2017
Here are the rest of my cards that I thought were worth sharing:

50511168637_e65627525d_z.jpg

Dark Raichu - Team Rocket 83/82
The secret rare and the first card that was released in the west before Japan due to WOTC having to get permission from Nintendo. In Japan this is called Bad Raichu, as all the "Dark" Pokemon in the Team Rocket set are. Again this is still a pretty affordable card right now, you can pick a nice one up for around £20.

50511004586_f0472c2521_z.jpg

Team Rocket themed cards
Rocket's Sneak Attack and The Rocket's Trap on the right both feature the "Rocket Grunt" design based on Gen II. I used to think it was Jessie >.<
I really like how the holo pattern and colours on this card take on different light, I think i've captured it pretty well here.

50511004621_80dfb07f2b_z.jpg

Random holo cards
The Slowking is from Southern Islands - I really should have bought a sealed set of these cards earlier this year because again, the price has shot up a bit and they were super affordable a mere 10 months ago.
The Rainbow Energy card has a brilliant holo pattern, it really dazzles in the right light and again is a card that I personally think is cool.

50511168632_d984c0cf51_z.jpg

Trainer cards
I can't remember what these are called off the top of my head and it's not that important. They are not exactly worth much but I bought them for around £1 each as I like to collect trainer cards and also cards that show more than one Pokemon on them. Another thing thats cool about the TCG, you can just collect things you like!

50511004661_83f5c259b0_z.jpg

50511168952_4c416a7694_z.jpg

50511004616_5b53343922_z.jpg

E-Series
I mentioned in my previous post about how I never really bothered with E-Series. I don't have a lot of the stuff but I have a new found appreciation to the artwork, some of it is incredible! I probably have around 20-25 commons and un-commons but the above are some of my favourite artworks. I think I will try and pick up a few more if the price is right.

And thats it for now.

Croc Man

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for info FF.
Came to see if I had anything of value, fell down a rabbithole and somehow ended up buying new cards to get a promo (grookey on the ball).

During that descent I found this article from 2001 which was interesting.
www.nytimes.com

Pokemon's House of Cards; Market Crash Holds Lessons for Young Traders (Published 2001)

Collapse of market for Pokemon cards delivers hard lesson to young people: that scarcity can temporarily drive prices up but that many assets, technology companies or kids' trading cards, are only valuable if sold at right time; photo; graph (M)

manzoman96

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I have no idea if I have any rare Pokemon cards, but I will say I collected a lot of cool ones back in the day.

Punished Dan

Oct 27, 2017
Your stuff is so gorgeous, Punished Dan. A great example of simply collecting what you love rather than filling out a list.

How do you store all your stuff, by the way?

nothing too fancy - I sleeve most of the stuff up (just not got round to that e series stuff yet) and then the holos or anything valuable get a top loader and then I store them in old sneakers/trainer boxes 🤣🤣

anything large or sealed items are stored separately.

I do have a binder somewhere with X&Y stuff in. Roaring Skies, Steam Siege type of stuff.

OP
OP
Finale Fireworker

Finale Fireworker

Oct 25, 2017
United States
I have no idea if I have any rare Pokemon cards, but I will say I collected a lot of cool ones back in the day.

Your Charizard is from Base Set 2. Assuming some light damage that's a $150-$200 card.

However, if your condition is really good, one did just sell for over $600. But this is really high for Base Set 2. I wouldn't anticipate a price like that. Seems like there's some uncharacteristically high auctions the last few days. Fluke auctions where bidders are too invested and a card sells for way too high aren't uncommon, but I feel like there's a lot lately.

manzoman96

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Your Charizard is from Base Set 2. Assuming some light damage that's a $150-$200 card.

However, if your condition is really good, one did just sell for over $600. But this is really high for Base Set 2. I wouldn't anticipate a price like that. Seems like there's some uncharacteristically high auctions the last few days. Fluke auctions where bidders are too invested and a card sells for way too high aren't uncommon, but I feel like there's a lot lately.
well you have a Charizard (Base Set 2) so you're a winner
Interesting, I didn't know that Base Set 2 was worth anything, thanks! My card does have a good bit of damage to it like the crease in the middle you can kinda see in the photo as well as more around the edges (it was one of my favorites so I was probably running around with it a lot 😂)

OP
OP
Finale Fireworker

Finale Fireworker

Oct 25, 2017
United States
During that descent I found this article from 2001 which was interesting.
www.nytimes.com

Pokemon's House of Cards; Market Crash Holds Lessons for Young Traders (Published 2001)

Collapse of market for Pokemon cards delivers hard lesson to young people: that scarcity can temporarily drive prices up but that many assets, technology companies or kids' trading cards, are only valuable if sold at right time; photo; graph (M)

This is hilarious and fascinating. Thanks for posting this. The only kid with any sense in this article is ol' Jimmy O'Brien:

Jimmy O'Brien, a longhaired 14-year-old with a wispy moustache as well as a Pokemon baseball cap and jacket, said part of the problem was that people were selling Pokemon at outrageous, unjustifiable prices. But he does not think the Pokemon cards are down for good.

''Everything old is new again,'' said Jimmy, who has traveled to Los Angeles and Minnesota to compete in Pokemon tournaments. ''Lava lamps went out and came back, so this might, too.''

Jimmy is presumably a millionaire now.

Seriously though, this phenomenon is something I've reflected on for many years. I am not surprised to see this article and it makes sense it was published. Among adults in the early 2000s, there was a sense that Pokémon was going to be a hard lesson for kids. They had seen fads come and go. They knew Pokémon Fever wouldn't last. There was a lot of schadenfreude over Beanie Babies. All the hot "it" toys like Tickle Me Elmo and Furby had made fools of everyone who got trampled to get them. For those who felt they were above 90s-era consumerism, they eagerly awaited the end of the Pokémon scam.

Many kids did grow out of Pokémon, particularly right around the time this article was published. Interest and enthusiasm dropped a lot and Pokémon had a down generation. Something that really drove kids to embrace and obsess over Pokémon was the status that came with it. Pokémon was cool. Good cards made you popular. Kids were competing and scheming and their whole lives revolved around the brand. As interest waned, a lot of kids at the top of the ladder were left atop pillars of sand.

But something is different with Pokémon. I haven't figured out exactly what it is. Maybe it's the fact that there is nothing else like Pokémon, so players always go back. Maybe it's the fact Pokémon never goes away, so people are always reminded of their time with it. But I think one of the biggest things is that the emotion that defined Pokémon for a lot of kids was want.

Kids wanted things they couldn't have. They wanted things their friends had. When cards reached high prices in the early 00s, they were too high for children to even entertain. There was no older fanbase with expendable income, or at least jobs, to buy these cards. But ten years later, when all these kids grew up, they remembered that feeling of want. They remembered the cards they never got, or could never afford, and somehow inside they still wanted them. Here we are today where people are willing to pay $500 to hold a card they always dreamed about when they were little kids.

This isn't everyone story, but it's mine at least. The New York Times and all the other adults expected Pokémon would go out of fashion and crash like everything else — but there's never been anything else like Pokémon.

javac

Oct 28, 2017
It really depends. Anecdotally it feels as tho japan is generally less nostalgic for older cards...or rather cards based on the original 151 and instead are more interested in, well interesting cards with stories behind them, be it promos and unique one of a kind stuff, because there was a lot of that in japan. Ride a train? You get a card! Get on a plane? You get a card! Buy a magazine? You get a card! Buy this manga? You also get a card! And all of them were always custom made for that promo, with some of the more wild art ever seen. Cards that were given out in tournaments, weird cards that you could only get through competitions etc.

Having said that some things never change, cards missing their rarity symbols for example like this charizard below go for a lot even in that condition.

V5CxkJk.jpg

Although Japanese cards don't seem to fetch too much in the west (although prices seem to be rising due to youtubers), English cards however can still fetch a high pice in Japan like the assortment below, including shiny cards and the legendary cards that you so hate. The first time I ever saw these cards I thought that they were bootleg lol, that kinda makes me like them a little more however lol.

WzoqIjf.jpg

Some Japanese chrizards.

Q5Jl58g.jpg

A fan club eevee that was only obtainable via getting a certain amount of points from April 2000 until December 2002, fetches a high price.

6TAoQtU.jpg

The eevee below was obtainable via completing the wii ware game Pokemon scramble, upon doing so a code appeared which you had to input into a website, 100 random people were awarded this card. What I love about stuff like this card is that if I was to scroll past it I wouldn't even blink twice, looks like some random throwaway card!

PSaME8c.jpg

Tropical Mega Battle 1999 card. PSA10!

tXfIAWT.jpg

This auction actually ended yesterday, also a 10.

GYKKjuq.jpg

You know more about pokemon than myself so I hope I don't sound as if I'm tying to educate yourself lol, just love these types of cards and stories.

darkNemisiScloud

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 27, 2017
I have been to Japan any times and the rare pokemkn and yu gi oh cards are priced high, sometimes you get lucky and find rare cards priced below your expected prices

Sawneeks

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This is hilarious and fascinating. Thanks for posting this. The only kid with any sense in this article is ol' Jimmy O'Brien:

Jimmy is presumably a millionaire now.

Seriously though, this phenomenon is something I've reflected on for many years. I am not surprised to see this article and it makes sense it was published. Among adults in the early 2000s, there was a sense that Pokémon was going to be a hard lesson for kids. They had seen fads come and go. They knew Pokémon Fever wouldn't last. There was a lot of schadenfreude over Beanie Babies. All the hot "it" toys like Tickle Me Elmo and Furby had made fools of everyone who got trampled to get them. For those who felt they were above 90s-era consumerism, they eagerly awaited the end of the Pokémon scam.

Many kids did grow out of Pokémon, particularly right around the time this article was published. Interest and enthusiasm dropped a lot and Pokémon had a down generation. Something that really drove kids to embrace and obsess over Pokémon was the status that came with it. Pokémon was cool. Good cards made you popular. Kids were competing and scheming and their whole lives revolved around the brand. As interest waned, a lot of kids at the top of the ladder were left atop pillars of sand.

But something is different with Pokémon. I haven't figured out exactly what it is. Maybe it's the fact that there is nothing else like Pokémon, so players always go back. Maybe it's the fact Pokémon never goes away, so people are always reminded of their time with it. But I think one of the biggest things is that the emotion that defined Pokémon for a lot of kids was want.

Kids wanted things they couldn't have. They wanted things their friends had. When cards reached high prices in the early 00s, they were too high for children to even entertain. There was no older fanbase with expendable income, or at least jobs, to buy these cards. But ten years later, when all these kids grew up, they remembered that feeling of want. They remembered the cards they never got, or could never afford, and somehow inside they still wanted them. Here we are today where people are willing to pay $500 to hold a card they always dreamed about when they were little kids.

This isn't everyone story, but it's mine at least. The New York Times and all the other adults expected Pokémon would go out of fashion and crash like everything else — but there's never been anything else like Pokémon.
Makes you wonder about the other 'collectable' franchises that existed but never really took off or faded from existence and how Pokemon was able to beat that and come out stronger for it. Was the winning combo good, accessible games with a good kids cartoon? Was it the variety of timeless designs that catered to nearly everyone? The push for these to be pets and not monsters?

Jimmy was on the mark about nostalgia being a huge factor in having franchises come back into the spotlight but it feels like none of them really stuck around as long as Pokemon did. I don't know if we could ever have an answer to that question but it's fun to think about. Pokemon really is for everyone these days.

ZeroCDR

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This thankfully didn't take as long, here's my trainer trove:

Trainer Cards Unpacked

My sticker decorating as a kid is killing me, had to share that too lol

Not tcg related but here's some cute Pokémon things I found in my closet:

https://imgur.com/a/KyF39FB

If you don't mind Japanese cards or more recent sets this goal is probably a lot cheaper and easier, commons and uncommons should be fine either or. Like you I had a few holes in my collection of 251 and finally got the drive to complete it a few years ago. Wishing you good luck!

Punished Dan

Oct 27, 2017
Interesting, I didn't know that Base Set 2 was worth anything, thanks! My card does have a good bit of damage to it like the crease in the middle you can kinda see in the photo as well as more around the edges (it was one of my favorites so I was probably running around with it a lot 😂)

Anything Charizard is collectible. Thats the Pokemon nearly everyone knows :lol Well, that and Pikachu I guess.

OP
OP
Finale Fireworker

Finale Fireworker

Oct 25, 2017
United States
It really depends. Anecdotally it feels as tho japan is generally less nostalgic for older cards...or rather cards based on the original 151 and instead are more interested in, well interesting cards with stories behind them, be it promos and unique one of a kind stuff, because there was a lot of that in japan. Ride a train? You get a card! Get on a plane? You get a card! Buy a magazine? You get a card! Buy this manga? You also get a card! And all of them were always custom made for that promo, with some of the more wild art ever seen. Cards that were given out in tournaments, weird cards that you could only get through competitions etc.

Having said that some things never change, cards missing their rarity symbols for example like this charizard below go for a lot even in that condition.

V5CxkJk.jpg

Although Japanese cards don't seem to fetch too much in the west (although prices seem to be rising due to youtubers), English cards however can still fetch a high pice in Japan like the assortment below, including shiny cards and the legendary cards that you so hate. The first time I ever saw these cards I thought that they were bootleg lol, that kinda makes me like them a little more however lol.

WzoqIjf.jpg

Some Japanese chrizards.

Q5Jl58g.jpg

A fan club eevee that was only obtainable via getting a certain amount of points from April 2000 until December 2002, fetches a high price.

6TAoQtU.jpg

The eevee below was obtainable via completing the wii ware game Pokemon scramble, upon doing so a code appeared which you had to input into a website, 100 random people were awarded this card. What I love about stuff like this card is that if I was to scroll past it I wouldn't even blink twice, looks like some random throwaway card!

PSaME8c.jpg

Tropical Mega Battle 1999 card. PSA10!

tXfIAWT.jpg

This auction actually ended yesterday, also a 10.

GYKKjuq.jpg

You know more about pokemon than myself so I hope I don't sound as if I'm tying to educate yourself lol, just love these types of cards and stories.
This is an awesome post. This illustrates very well that as much as we talk about English cards being worth more than Japanese cards, there are many Japanese cards that are so rare and so expensive there is no English card that will ever be its equal. Thanks so much for digging these up.

One thing I wanted to pull out specifically from your post is this part:

You could fill a book with everything I know about Pokémon, but you could fill many more books with everything I don't know about Pokémon. I love learning new things about the series and am very self-aware about my blindspots. I am especially weak with Japanese cards so when I encounter someone who knows more about them than me all I want to do is listen to them talk about it.

Did you turn all these auctions up yourself? How good are you at navigating Japanese auction sites? There is one particular Japanese card I've been after for a very long time. It's my white whale. It almost never shows up on English sites, but I've long wondered if it was more available on Japanese ones.

OP
OP
Finale Fireworker

Finale Fireworker

Oct 25, 2017
United States
Maybe it's time I get these graded and up on eBay. They've been in a box for 20 years.
I remember the first time I saw this card at the Pokémon League as a kid. This was when the kind of Pokémon that got holographic cards was very predictable. Aside from the occasional exception like Base Set Clefairy and Fossil Haunter, pretty much only fully-evolved or single-stage Pokémon were rare and holographic. So the sight of seeing an Eevee printed like this was really novel.

Judging by how many you have, did you run a Pokémon League?

javac

Oct 28, 2017
This is an awesome post. This illustrates very well that as much as we talk about English cards being worth more than Japanese cards, there are many Japanese cards that are so rare and so expensive there is no English card that will ever be its equal. Thanks so much for digging these up.

One thing I wanted to pull out specifically from your post is this part:

You could fill a book with everything I know about Pokémon, but you could fill many more books with everything I don't know about Pokémon. I love learning new things about the series and am very self-aware about my blindspots. I am especially weak with Japanese cards so when I encounter someone who knows more about them than me all I want to do is listen to them talk about it.
Thanks! I'm happy to share, although I could never afford such cards I love them all the same and I'm happy to be able to share that enjoyment with others.

Yeah the normal every day card in Japan can be very affordable, and even when they do get expensive, and some do, they're still generally no where near as pricy as the English counterparts, but there exist cards over there that blow everything else out of the water. And honestly, I think that if the cards that I posted above were in English, or at the very least known by English collectors, and their stories and rarities were on full display, if they were to get the attention of western collectors, I'd imagine even the cards above would go for even higher on places like eBay! Prices would get even more crazy.

Did you turn all these auctions up yourself? How good are you at navigating Japanese auction sites? There is one particular Japanese card I've been after for a very long time. It's my white whale. It almost never shows up on English sites, but I've long wondered if it was more available on Japanese ones.

Yeah, I think that I might be able to help you, can't promise anything but I can at least try.

OP
OP
Finale Fireworker

Finale Fireworker

Oct 25, 2017
United States
Thanks! I'm happy to share, although I could never afford such cards I love them all the same and I'm happy to be able to share that enjoyment with others.

Yeah the normal every day card in Japan can be very affordable, and even when they do get expensive, and some do, they're still generally no where near as pricy as the English counterparts, but there exist cards over there that blow everything else out of the water. And honestly, I think that if the cards that I posted above were in English, or at the very least known by English collectors, and their stories and rarities were on full display, if they were to get the attention of western collectors, I'd imagine even the cards above would go for even higher on places like eBay! Prices would get even more crazy.

Yeah, I think that I might be able to help you, can't promise anything but I can at least try.
I'll DM you what I'm looking for. If you can help, amazing! If not, well, I can't find it either! :D

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017

Can't say for 100% certainty but I live in Japan and pop into card shops/sections every now and then to look. Also sold a ton to them. Overall cardgames in general are just, cheaper lol(aside from Final Fantasy, who the hell is paying $140 a box!?). Packs are about $1.50 here, and special packs are $3 each for most games.

In general the mindset seems to be vastly different. Most get into card games to play them here which is the biggest difference I noticed. There are a lot more collectors than players it seems in the west which drives the investment mentality I'm assuming. So cards keep value more on how useful it is or in the case of pokemon, how cute the trainer is lol. This is compounded by the game needing multiples of each card. Of course rarity factors in as well. But in the case of pokemon which is pretty consistent at removing sets from play, physical shops other than big ones will cut stock in these cases so its actually pretty rare to see old cards in shops on display outside certain ones.

Online of course is where the collectors thrive and like someone else said, youtube is helping drive interest these days too over here. Can't say why exactly pokemon is on the cheaper end of things in general but it just kinda is lol. Difference in perceived value and all. Not to mention smaller population, lower income, Japanese cards basically only being understood in a specific country etc. Outside Japan, Japanese cards are a novelty. Of course there are whales in every thing. But the big ticket items are always promotions or event only items, everything else can be obtained relatively hassle free.

Also there seems to be a lack of antidotal stories where something old/original/collected has some super massive value leading to people collecting or saving items for future cash outs. In the west we always had stories like the first Superman comic selling for millions or w/e, and hear things like it somewhat regularly to keep it in mind when the next big collectable item trend appears. It's not really a thing here very often but random things do increase in price.

Yugi-Oh youtubers are my comfort food at the moment. I don't collect or play it but looking at some of the collections is insane. One girl I followed years ago because she was talking about the advent children bluray release, got married to a collector with a case of cards worth $100,000 lol.

Last edited:

Bii

Oct 25, 2017
I know there were a few people here that were talking about the latest TCG set, Champion's Path, and how difficult it has been to buy them. Pokemon Center has the Elite Trainer Boxes up for preorder: https://www.pokemoncenter.com/product/290-80545/pokemon-tcg-champion-s-path-elite-trainer-box

We expect to ship this item in late November 2020, while supplies last. We will not charge your card for this item until it ships. You may see a pre-authorization check on your card, but it is not a charge for this item. You may cancel your preorder up until November 17, 2020, by contacting customer service at this link.
Purchase limit of 2

I placed an order for two and there was a pre-authorization of $5 on my credit card. It'll drop off and I'm sure it'll charge me a few days before it ships.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
I know there were a few people here that were talking about the latest TCG set, Champion's Path, and how difficult it has been to buy them. Pokemon Center has the Elite Trainer Boxes up for preorder: https://www.pokemoncenter.com/product/290-80545/pokemon-tcg-champion-s-path-elite-trainer-box

I placed an order for two and there was a pre-authorization of $5 on my credit card. It'll drop off and I'm sure it'll charge me a few days before it ships.

THANK YOU!!!

Been checking off and on and then saw that they delisted it at one point. I just want ONE, mainly for for Charizard promo, which is going for $25 at the cheapest on its own on eBay >_>

I honestly hope going forward, that pre-orders will be a thing they continue doing. I was there minute zero when they put up the 2 Special Pin Collections, and backend scalpers already got those before, too. I'm sure there's been PLENTY of pissed off people due to this, and it does suck that the official site just adds new products to the site whenever they feel, no set time or anything (but links are hidden, but exist early, and actually ALLOW for those orders to process...)

Bii

Oct 25, 2017
THANK YOU!!!

Been checking off and on and then saw that they delisted it at one point. I just want ONE, mainly for for Charizard promo, which is going for $25 at the cheapest on its own on eBay >_>

I honestly hope going forward, that pre-orders will be a thing they continue doing. I was there minute zero when they put up the 2 Special Pin Collections, and backend scalpers already got those before, too. I'm sure there's been PLENTY of pissed off people due to this, and it does suck that the official site just adds new products to the site whenever they feel, no set time or anything (but links are hidden, but exist early, and actually ALLOW for those orders to process...)

I've yet to get an Elite Trainer box myself so I'm excited to get the two, eventually, when it ships next month.

I was lucky to get orders in for three Dubwool V boxes last week when Amazon had them up. Plus, there was a promo going where I got $10 off for buying three. Those three boxes came in today and I pulled Grapploct V, Wailord V, Alcremie V and Incineroar V. Not bad for 12 packs and I wasn't expecting any secret rares given how the pull rate on those are. I was also able to order the Hatterene V box from Amazon and that should arrive sometime next week.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
I was also able to order the Hatterene V box from Amazon and that should arrive sometime next week.

I was somehow able to get that on order on Amazon, but waited too long on the Marnie Premium and that's gone too. Special Pin boxes and the other set of 3 pin boxes are the last ones I need to get.

Zutrax

Oct 31, 2017
Alright, I found my old binder of mostly pristine older cards. How is my stash looking to the experts?

I have 8 imgur pages worth here. I'm well aware the base set Charizard and two Blastoise are worth something, but I'm unsure about everything else mostly.

Punished Dan

Oct 27, 2017
Alright, I found my old binder of mostly pristine older cards. How is my stash looking to the experts?

I have 8 imgur pages worth here. I'm well aware the base set Charizard and two Blastoise are worth something, but I'm unsure about everything else mostly.

You've got some really nice cards here.

Shining Magikarp, I think thats a Neo Genesis Typhlosion on page 6, 1st Edition Dark Slowbro is also decent!

Then you've got Blaine's Moltres & Blaine's Charizard, there is a newly listed 'zard on eBay with one bid of £150.

Punished Dan

Oct 27, 2017
Oh sweet, well I'll take any help I can get! Thanks for the tip :)

So anyone have a rough idea?

Without seeing the back of the card it would be hard to give a proper estimate but the front looks good! It has a little bend to it because it's been stored in a binder, its happened to some of mine but that doesn't detract from the card and nothing getting it in a top loader (a rigid plastic sleeve) wouldn't go someway to fixing.

But even a "good" condition Charizard is easily £500+ imo.

"Near mint" you're talking £900+

AndreGX

GameXplain
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
San Francisco
Without seeing the back of the card it would be hard to give a proper estimate but the front looks good! It has a little bend to it because it's been stored in a binder, its happened to some of mine but that doesn't detract from the card and nothing getting it in a top loader (a rigid plastic sleeve) wouldn't go someway to fixing.

But even a "good" condition Charizard is easily £500+ imo.

"Near mint" you're talking £900+

Well that's encouraging. Thanks for the rough assessment!

Nekyrrev

Oct 28, 2017
Hey everyone. I'm a complete Pokemon noob and I haven't touched the card game since I was a child. But I just found out that I still have some apparently first edition cards, in french. Do these cards have any kind of value ?

K4bRxln.jpg

SR90bGP.jpg

AiqbMho.jpg

(I have ramoloss and Spectrum in 1 edition too, just displayed the wrong ones)
This is just a sample, I have more cards. Maybe it's worth jackshit but I prefer to make sure. Thank you :)

OP
OP
Finale Fireworker

Finale Fireworker

Oct 25, 2017
United States
Good morning folks. Going to start going through and replying to people who asked for help.

This is a great collection, it looks like you collected for quite some time. Not a lot of people have Base Set all the way to Gen III cards in the same collection. Cool stuff! With your self-identified pristine condition you will be able to squeeze top dollar for anything you sell. Condition makes all the difference and being able to say confidently your cards are nearly perfect gives buyer's confidence. Let me pull out some highlights.

• Page one has a bunch of modestly valuable cards that add up really quickly. The English cards are all an easy $15 and the Japanese come out to around $8-$10. The odd one out is Cradily which came out later. Looks like that's maybe $5. Either way this is a $100 page.

Page three is the real money. Charizards are just pure cash. Every Charizard is worth money. I'm going to break them all down.
  • Base Set Charizard is a $400-$500 card right now. Yesterday saw sales for $555, $495, and $450 so that's pretty stable even if there's a range.

• Your Blaine's Charizard is the more common error variant with the Fighting Symbol instead of the Fire Symbol in the description for Burning Flames. Fresh prices for this card are all over the place, however. Yesterday saw auctions close at $465, $339, $280, and $97. This is an outrageous spread. I have no idea what's going on with this card. If you sell it, you should try a high Buy It Now with a Best Offer. An auction seems unpredictable so I can't even give you a good estimate. Earlier I would have said this could be a $150-$200 card but it's very volatile all of a sudden.

• Japanese Dark Charizard is a solid $25. Less than the English version but still a cool card. This is a good example of the superior contrast in Japanese prints. You can make out so much more of the details in the Japanese holo.

• I had to go looking for your other Japanese Charizard because I didn't recognize it. Turns out it's a promo released in association with Neo Discovery. This card never saw an English release. This Charizard is from "Neo Premium File 2." Auctions place this card around $40-$60. Not bad at all!

• It's a bit outside my knowledge range but I had to go looking for that holo Charmeleon, which I'd actually never seen before. I'm pretty unfamiliar with e-Series cards. This is a secret rare from EX Dragon and someone was willing to pay $50 for one this week. This looks like quite the rare card though and there are not a lot of them on auction. I can see live auctions with people trying to bring the price up and asking $100. You might have an easy sale for $50 if you're the only one selling.

• Blaine's Moltres is also a pricy card. This routinely goes for $60-$90. You can get high end prices if your condition is good.

Getting back to the page by page...
  • Page four is an inexpensive page overall. Dark Feraligatr is the stand out which goes for $30-$50 bucks depending on the condition. The others are all sub-$10 I believe.

• Page five has some more money on it. You have another Blastoise, which is awesome. Fossil Gengar is $20-$30. Feraligatr is $80-$90. Your Dark Slowbro is 1st Edition which gets you $60-$80. Others are lower end.

• Page six's standout is Typhlosion, which is $90-$130. Your Japanese Neo Discovery Espeon is about $25. The others are lower end.

• Page seven and eight are modest over all, nothing jumps out as especially valuable. The usual $8-$10 price range. No big hitters but plenty of money by volume.

By my quick count this is probably around $2000 worth of cards if you combine low end estimates. Quite a lot to work with! Thanks for posting. :)

Last edited: