• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Was this thread interesting and/or helpful to you?

• Yes, this thread was interesting and/or helpful. Thank you!

Votes: 425 92.2%
  • No, this thread was neither interesting nor helpful. Shut up!

Votes: 36 7.8%

• Total voters

Shrennin

Oct 25, 2017
This is an amazing thread, Finale Fireworker, that makes me wish I kept my Pokémon cards (I can't remember if I threw them out or kept them but I'm looking!). I saved your post on binders, sleeves, etc. for when I do start collecting again.

Anyway, my friend still has his old collection and both he and myself would be grateful if you could look at it and see if he has anything of worth.

Collection 1:

imgur.com

Pokémon collection 1

Imgur: The magic of the Internet

Collection 2:

imgur.com

Pokémon Collection 2

Collection 3:

imgur.com

Pokémon collection 3

OP
OP
Finale Fireworker

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
So this thread insprired me to go hunting in my old family house, I found a bunch of cards from my childhood collection. If their worth anything please let me know you wonderful experts. I will also go see my bro who still has his collection tomorrow.

Pokemon card collection https://imgur.com/a/qQ2yMiY

Allrighty, let's see what you've got! Thanks for waiting!

What you have here is a large mixed lot of common and uncommon cards spanning many years of sets from Base Set in 1998 to Expedition in 2002. Despite the many cards you have spanning so many sets, you don't really have any cards which are individually valuable. Your collection strikes me as one built from hand-me-downs (like an older sibling gave you cards they did not want) or something that has been picked over (someone removed all the valuable cards for themselves when you grew out of the hobby). So unfortunately there isn't much here that will be making a difference for you financially.

The one possible exception is the reverse holo Mewtwo 56/165 Expedition card you have. In the first picture it appears that it might be a reverse holo, which is an $80-$100 card. (Link 1 Link 2 Link 3) That's pretty cool if that's the case. But if it's non-holo it's only about $20. Not quite as exciting.

Where you could stand to make some money from this is from volume as a mixed lot, which you might have seen a few other members with throughout the thread. Basically each of your cards is worth $5-$7 with a few outliers that might be worth $10-$20. That adds up really quickly in to hundreds of dollars, but it's a huge pain in the neck to sell. If you have 40 pages of cards like you do, at 9 cards per page that's 360 listings to make, 360 cards to sell, 360 packages to send, etc. This just isn't feasible for someone looking to offload their childhood cards, so what you do is you count them all as $5 a card, do the math, and list them as a large "mixed lot" on eBay. You are highly unlikely to get that top asking price, so you accept offers and you wait for someone with a storefront who already has the infrastructure to do such a large amount of sales to make you an offer. You're kind of like a wholesaler in this scenario. They'll make you an offer based on what they need to pay to make their own profit and you can make a decision based on that.

Going off of the 360 number (you have a little more than this I think), of you managed to sell them for $3 a card that's almost $1,000 in one big sale. You'd just have to be patient for the right buyer to come because it's going to depend on their inventory. Let me know if you have any questions. :)

Worth noting that you also seem to have a mix of "sticker" cards mixed in there, which are those full-holo cards with fractal patterns. These aren't real Pokémon cards but might still be worth some money to someone who collects oddities.

Edit: Oh, just noticed your second post with more cards!
Thanks friend!

Also my bro has come through with most of his collection minus the energy cards that he has like a hundred of, he will take better pics if needed. We had a lot of crossover cards and we started collecting early so some of these are first print I believe.

Pokemon card collection 2 https://imgur.com/gallery/w3oGi0T

Everything here is pretty similar to the above, but there's a few Legendary Collection reverse holos (the ones with the little medal as the set symbol) that will go for around $20 each. Also the Legendary Collection Dark Dragonite 5/110 is about $60-$70! (Link 1 Link 2) Otherwise you're looking at more of the same. :)

OP
OP
Finale Fireworker

Finale Fireworker

Oct 25, 2017
United States
I decided to go through my old collection, and it looks like all of my cards are from the base set. Would any of these be worth anything?

Good morning! Thanks for waiting. You have some very valuable cards here, actually. :)

Starting with your first pic, all of these are Shadowless Base Set cards. If you're unfamiliar with what that means, there's a graphic in the OP under the "nuance of the Base Set" section you can check out. But basically these were an interim print between 1st Edition and Unlimited that are kind of "in between" valuable. These are great cards to have dug out.

• Machamp Base Set 8/102 Shadowless is unique. I will quote something from earlier in the thread below this list.

• Mewtwo Base Set 10/102 Shadowless fluctuates a lot because Mewtwo is a "trophy" card that a lot of people like even if it's their only Pokémon card. Those who know what shadowless means are attracted to the shadowless variant despite not being serious collectors. I think an easy price is around $40-$50 (Link 1 Link 2 Link 3) But if your condition is good and you're patient It's not unreasonable you might get $100+ for it. (Link 1 Link 2 Link 3) List high and take offers, in my opinion.

• Alakazam Base Set 1/102 Shadowless has a lot of low prices that sort of drag the average down. So taking that into account, I think this is pretty safely $80-$100. (Link 1 Link 2 Link 3)

• Ninetales Base Set 12/102 Shadowless is relatively consistent at ~$45. (Link 1 Link 2 Link 3)

• Nidoking Base Set 11/102 Shadowless also seems to have a big swing to it. Nidoking is a popular Pokémon so you have a bit of a Mewtwo thing going on here. But my best guess is $75 or so. (Link 1 Link 2 Link 3)

Regarding Machamp:
Despite the 1st Edition stamp, your Machamp is the Shadowless variant, which you can also read about in the OP where we break down how to tell the difference. However this is difficult to sell because many casual buyers and sellers cannot identify what's what with this card and just list all of the as "1st Edition Shadowless" even when they aren't. Yours is Shadowless, but not True 1st Edition, a distinction not everyone will bother making. You will need to explain in your listing why your card is worth more than the Unlimited cards and probably accept offers against your asking price. I'd list it for $100 and take offers, personally.

Your second and third pictures are 1st Editions from Base Set and Jungle, which are all modestly valuable - especially in good condition. Since you don't have a ton of them it would be worth listing them individually and just collecting the cash as they move. I would list all of these for $25 and accept offers. You're unlikely to get that high for all of them but you'll slowly rake it in as people make lower offers you're interested in accepting.

Your Pikachu page is deceptively valuable considering they are all common grade cards.

• E3 Pikachu is the Yellow Cheeks variant distributed through Nintendo Power. This is pretty flat at $40ish bucks. (Link 1 Link 2 Link 3)
  • Pikachu Base Set 58/102 (Yellow Cheeks) Shadowless is sort of the "normal" card given the yellow cheeks is the default one that isn't considered special. I won't link to prices since it's low enough to take for granted, but they're about $10 each.
  • Pikachu Base Set 58/102 (Red Cheeks) Shadowless is the special one people pay more for. Its value will rely a lot on condition. $60 seems predictable however. (Link 1 Link 2 Link 3) That's a great card to have five of. Lots of easy money. Yours look like the condition is excellent and they're all well centered so you could try asking more for each of them!

Awesome stuff, thanks for posting. :) Let me know if you have any questions.

CB3

Oct 25, 2017
Finale Fireworker Seeing some of the other cards in here triggered something in my brain to remind me I had a few more cards in a folder somewhere. Wasnt alot, but I did find another E3 Pikachu. But the red cheeks variant.

imgur.com

Red cheeks E3

This would seem to suggest its also around the $500 mark?

(Thanks for all the help)

Setreal

Oct 27, 2017
Finale Fireworker Seeing some of the other cards in here triggered something in my brain to remind me I had a few more cards in a folder somewhere. Wasnt alot, but I did find another E3 Pikachu. But the red cheeks variant.

imgur.com

Red cheeks E3

I'm sure Finale will chime in, but keep in mind for any card there's a premium associated with PSA graded cards. Even if you take the time (and right now with delays that is many months) and pay to have cards graded there's no guarantee they'll come back with a high rating. That said, in this particular case it seems the card is still going for around that price (and even more) on ebay ungraded.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Oh man, just found this thread. I have several hundred cards from the late 90's/early 2000's that I haven't looked at in years. I'll go through them and post here soon, this is exciting lol.

JohnF

Jan 19, 2019
This is a terrific thread, thanks. At the least, I need to have my Charizard graded eventually. I still have all of my old cards and I never actually played the game very often, so hopefully they're in solid condition.

OP
OP
Finale Fireworker

Finale Fireworker

Oct 25, 2017
United States
Hey Finale Fireworker great job with the thread! I recently found out my GF has a really old Pokémon collection (I used to have mine with 1st Edition Charizard and everything argh but I got rid of it a long time ago). She finally let me go through her stuff, and I found some real sweet doozies of cards. I don't collect any more, but she's wanting to know what's worth. I collect and organize MTG cards instead (My main hobby), thus far my collection of Magic totals somewhere around $20k all said and done.

I'm going to post the imgur gallery here for you, would love to have you check out what looks worth!

Some highlights:

1st Edition stuff, good foils from previous sets, some good rares from the first few sets of Pokémon.

And yes, that IS almost a full set of the Southern Islands Promo, she's just missing the Onix!

All right my friend, let's see what you've got! Thanks for being patient. Let me pull out your highlights below. I'm going to copy paste a couple sentences here and there for cards I've priced recently just to help me get back to you faster.

• Meowth "Game Boy" Black Star Promo #10 is still sealed, which will help you get a little more for it. The sealed version is all over the place right now because people are trying really hard to make it a thing, but the truth is this card is very common even in its packaging. You can get ~$40 for it but anything higher is trying to force it. (Link 1 Link 2 Link 3)

• Ancient Mew is an iconic card from the era, but not a rare one. It was produced in gigantic numbers because there had to be one for everybody who saw the movie. Despite being one of the most heavily printed promos in Pokémon history, there seems to be an effort lately to push the price up. I do not think this is warranted, but it is what it is. Open cards like yours seem to be going for $20-$30. (Link 1 Link 2 Link 3)

For the Expedition e-Series cards I can't quite tell if they are the standard holographic variants. These cards had lots of variants within the same set where they could be holo, non-holo, and reverse holo and sometimes in pics it's hard to tell if you can't see the set number clearly. I'll call out the ones I can tell for sure though.

• Dragonite Expedition 9/105 (Holo) is $40-$50. (Link 1 Link 2 Link 3)
  • The other reverse holos and non-holos from this set are ~$10 each.
  • Pikachu "Ivy Pikachu" Black Star Promo seems to be $15-$20. (Link 1 Link 2 Link 3). This art is interesting because it's based on a Pikachu design where it had a white muzzle, an brief and uncommonly depicted visual element before the full standardization of Pikachyus design.

• Southern Islands is a hugely popular set right now for reasons nobody can understand. You might have seen us talk about it before, but the sealed binder package that included these went from being a $30 purchase to a $3,000 purchase in a single month. This also affected the price of open cards. The complete set has moved around a lot but at the moment this seems to sell handily for $300-$400. (Link 1 Link 2 Link 3) To make this easier to sell, I recommend you pick up the missing Onix so you can sell the set as complete! That should run you $20 or less.

• Dark Slowbro Rocket 12/82 is 1st Edition and sells for ~$50. (Link 1 Link 2 Link 3)
  • You have a bunch of other common and uncommon 1st Editions from Rocket that you should sell as a small lot. Those are around $7 a piece.
  • The errant holos in the last few images are all $10-$15 each.
All the unmentioned commons and uncommons are around $5 each which you could sell as a mixed lot the same format I recommended to Earthboundstarman just above.

Let me know if you have any questions. :)

Ashodin

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Durham, NC
Thanks Finale. All those Southern Islands cards are in Mint Condition with no scratches or anything, so I'm considering sending off the whole collection to PSA to get graded.

CB3

Oct 25, 2017
Out of curioisty, is there an easy official (digital) way of actually playing the TCG these days? I seem to remember an official app/program years ago, but i found it to be sort of clunky. I figure with the resurgence of some of these cards, that has to be a thing, right?

OP
OP
Finale Fireworker

Finale Fireworker

Oct 25, 2017
United States
This is an amazing thread, Finale Fireworker, that makes me wish I kept my Pokémon cards (I can't remember if I threw them out or kept them but I'm looking!). I saved your post on binders, sleeves, etc. for when I do start collecting again.

Anyway, my friend still has his old collection and both he and myself would be grateful if you could look at it and see if he has anything of worth.
Good evening! Thanks for waiting. Let me pull out your highlights.

• Japanese Lugia Neo Genesis seems to swing $50-$75 depending on condition. (Link 1 Link 2 Link 3)

• Dark Dragonite Rocket 5/82 seems to be fluctuating a lot. If you asked me before I looked it up again I'd say this was $40-$50 (Link 1 Link 2 Link 3) but there's actually a lot of $65-$75 sales (Link 1 Link 2) and even some $100 sales. (Link 1 Link 2) List high with offers and see what you get!

• Venusaur Base Set 15/102 had been $100+ until recently but seems to be slumping down to ~$60. (Link 1 Link 2 Link 3) There's still some at the previous price point though so the slump could just be to saturation. (Link 1 Link 2) Your condition doesn't look too good though, so you'll have to take some off for that.

• Charizard Base Set 2 4/130 is... weirdly unpredictable. Very all over the place. There's cards $100-$200 (Link 1 Link 2) but there's also inexplicable prices over $400 (Link 1 Link 2) I don't know what to make of that other than $100-$200 is common and the most likely sale price you can expect. But the other prices are still frequent enough to suggest it might be worth to price it higher and see what you get for interest.

• Japanese Dark Blastoise can sell for up to $100 (Link 1 Link 2 Link 3) but Japanese cards live and die by availability. If there's a lot for sale this might only go for $50-$60.

• Mewtwo Base Set 10/102 is one of those cards that sells for a ton of different prices because a lot of different kinds of collectors want one. I've said in this thread a whole bunch of times to list it for $40 (Link 1 Link 2) but they look very saturated right now and there aren't a lot moving for this price point. I say don't sell yourself short on this one but $30 might be more realistic.

• Mew Black Star Promo #9 is the holographic variation of this card. Taking some higher prices in to account I'd say this is probably $40-$50 and possibly on the rise due to the January bump. (Link 1 Link 2 Link 3) $60 isn't too uncommon either actually.
So these are just your highlights. You have a toooon of cards here and even if you sold them all for $3 a piece you'd make hundreds of dollars. You'll want to sell those as one giant mixed lot though. I'd just separate out the 1st Editions and sell them as their own lot for ~$7 each. You can ready about how to sell mixed lots like this above in the post I wrote for Earthboundstarman.

Let me know if you have any questions!! :)

Xalechim

Oct 28, 2017
I'm back with a few updates! Thank you Finale Fireworker for your tireless work on this thread.

1. I've sold 10 of my base set cards on ebay so far for a grand total of $322. Nothing remarkable in the set, but they all sell pretty fast. Except for my holo Mewtwo...I can't even get any views on it...
  2. My Shining Gyarados has arrived at PSA. I had to pay the $50 option, but I'm cool with that. Looks like it's gonna be a long time before I get that guy back, but it's really fun to go through the "process"
  3. I can't FOR THE LIFE OF ME figure out what version Machamp I have. It's shadowless, but the "1" looks pretty thick to me. Could someone take a look and let me know what they think?
  4. All this Pokemon research made me have the urge to buy a pack...or 12...of Vivid Voltage. I got some cool cards so I'm not dissapointed, but I feel like I'd be better off just buying the individual cards I want (the full arts and reverse holos, not interested in the rainbow secrets) individually on eBay than buying these packs. What do people think of that strategy? And no, I don't think it's counterintuitive to buy these cards and sell my older ones because these older ones have far exceeded any value I could have imagined as a kid.
Thanks for being an awesome community guys!

OP
OP
Finale Fireworker

Finale Fireworker

Oct 25, 2017
United States
Thanks Finale. All those Southern Islands cards are in Mint Condition with no scratches or anything, so I'm considering sending off the whole collection to PSA to get graded.
This is certainly an option for you if you have the time and money to invest. I would only do this if you were really confident in the condition however. But if you do this you'd want to sell them individually, especially since one is missing. This would be a good way to maximize how much you get out of it.
Oh man, just found this thread. I have several hundred cards from the late 90's/early 2000's that I haven't looked at in years. I'll go through them and post here soon, this is exciting lol.
Come back and post em! I'd be glad to help you go through what you've got.

This is a terrific thread, thanks. At the least, I need to have my Charizard graded eventually. I still have all of my old cards and I never actually played the game very often, so hopefully they're in solid condition.
And same to you! I'd love to see what you have stored away.

OP
OP
Finale Fireworker

Finale Fireworker

Oct 25, 2017
United States

imgur.com

Red cheeks E3

Oh wow, great find. This is the E3 Pikachu that was actually distributed at (surprise) E3 1999. As you can imagine this one is a lot rarer and usually in a lot worse condition. These are very rare among American promos and worth a lot of money. Very few have even sold in the last few months (only 3 ioen ones like yours) so it's harder to nail down a trend. So instead of giving a price range, I'll just list the sale prices with dates.

January 12th - $470.25
November 6th - $1,325
November 1st - <$500 (sold to an offer, which is unknown)

There is only one active listing on eBay that's comparable to yours and they're asking $1,750.00.

Your Pikachus are a goldmine, my good dude. There are lots of paths forward for you here. However before I make a recommendation on what to do with all your Pikachus I was wondering if you would post some clear pictures of the front and back of each card outside of sleeves. It can be all in one pic or a few cards for pic, I just want to get a good sense of your condition.

These cards are highly gradable and you'd get a lot of money out of them going that route, but I don't want to formally suggest it until the odds look good for 8 or higher.

OP
OP
Finale Fireworker

Finale Fireworker

Oct 25, 2017
United States
I can't FOR THE LIFE OF ME figure out what version Machamp I have. It's shadowless, but the "1" looks pretty thick to me. Could someone take a look and let me know what they think?
Could you post or link a pic again? I'll let you know exactly which one you have.

Also congrats on the cards getting to PSA. I have some cards there right now too. Hopefully someday when our grandchildren finally receive them back from PSA the grades will be good! 😵

Xalechim

Oct 28, 2017
Could you post or link a pic again? I'll let you know exactly which one you have.

Also congrats on the cards getting to PSA. I have some cards there right now too. Hopefully someday when our grandchildren finally receive them back from PSA the grades will be good! 😵

Haha seriously! Since it's my first time, I feel like I'll just be happy getting it back and in the case, but I can't imagine how nerve wracking it is for guys who do this regularly for a business.

Here's a closeup of the 1st edition on the Machamp. Those scratches LOL. It's definitely shadowless, but I can't tell after that...

OP
OP
Finale Fireworker

Finale Fireworker

Oct 25, 2017
United States
Haha seriously! Since it's my first time, I feel like I'll just be happy getting it back and in the case, but I can't imagine how nerve wracking it is for guys who do this regularly for a business.

Here's a closeup of the 1st edition on the Machamp. Those scratches LOL. It's definitely shadowless, but I can't tell after that...

That's thin stamp. :) Another way to tell is that the word "EDITION" is bold on thin stamp but is standard weight on thick stamp. So yours is "thin" which would make yours the shadowless variant of the card.

Spawnsniper

Oct 28, 2017
Oh wow, great find. This is the E3 Pikachu that was actually distributed at (surprise) E3 1999. As you can imagine this one is a lot rarer and usually in a lot worse condition. These are very rare among American promos and worth a lot of money. Very few have even sold in the last few months (only 3 ioen ones like yours) so it's harder to nail down a trend. So instead of giving a price range, I'll just list the sale prices with dates.

January 12th - $470.25
November 6th - $1,325

There is only one active listing on eBay that's comparable to yours and they're asking $1,750.00.

Your Pikachus are a goldmine, my good dude. There are lots of paths forward for you here. However before I make a recommendation on what to do with all your Pikachus I was wondering if you would post some clear pictures of the front and back of each card outside of sleeves. It can be all in one pic or a few cards for pic, I just want to get a good sense of your condition.

These cards are highly gradable and you'd get a lot of money out of them going that route, but I don't want to formally suggest it until the odds look good for 8 or higher.

I too have this e3 card, not graded but in amazing condition. I'm debating if I should get it graded. But my first cable appearance comic is still at cgc after 4months. I can just imagine how long for my card.

Also how would u all send? Like get insurance on delivery? Hard case top loader? I'm very nervous about sending expensive stuff through mail.

OP
OP
Finale Fireworker

Finale Fireworker

Oct 25, 2017
United States
I too have this e3 card, not graded but in amazing condition. I'm debating if I should get it graded. But my first cable appearance comic is still at cgc after 4months. I can just imagine how long for my card.

Also how would u all send? Like get insurance on delivery? Hard case top loader? I'm very nervous about sending expensive stuff through mail.
If you wanna post a clear pic of the front and back I'll let you know how the condition looks to me too.

As for sending it to PSA, their standard rate is backed up 15 weeks. Express is supposedly only a month but I'll believe it when I see it. PSA recommends using semi-rigid holders called "Card Savers" which are a bit expensive relative to other holders (they can be up to $3 a holder since demand is so high). But you can't do better than that.

When I send mine in I use an inner sleeve, an outer sleeve, and a card saver or a top loader. I tend to have stuff lying around because I buy a lot of singles.

I would definitely insure anything worth more than $50 when I mail it. It only costs a few dollars most of the time. I've only ever needed insurance once in 10+ years but I sleep better at night knowing I always have it. As for the actual packaging, flat rate priority boxes from the USPS are the best there is. 2 day delivery with tracking.

CB3

Oct 25, 2017

January 12th - $470.25
November 6th - $1,325

Yeah that E3 Pikachu came directly from my sisters boyfriend who attended E3. I have no idea where i got the ghost pikachu's from, other than being into pokemon cards as soon as they hit.

Imgur was acting weird, so i had to put them in their own albums to keep it straight. Apologies!

imgur.com

Red Cheeks E3

imgur.com

Ghost 1

imgur.com

Ghost 2

imgur.com

Ghost 3

Dec 21, 2017
Does anyone know what this is?

Front:
c7UlsZn.jpg

Back:
kNtzCV4.jpg

Cilla

Oct 29, 2017
Queensland, Australia
Not a lot, unless it's the Australian packaging.

Any of the promos printed for film distribution are very plentiful because they were produced in the millions to ensure everyone who bought a ticket could receive one. But naturally not everyone took one so there were tons of extras. The reason you're seeing volatile pricing is because people are trying to sell it for more than it's really worth.

This is probably a $10-$20 card. But it's also one of the coolest promos.

I have the Australian one! What's that worth?

Spawnsniper

Oct 28, 2017
If you wanna post a clear pic of the front and back I'll let you know how the condition looks to me too.

As for sending it to PSA, their standard rate is backed up 15 weeks. Express is supposedly only a month but I'll believe it when I see it. PSA recommends using semi-rigid holders called "Card Savers" which are a bit expensive relative to other holders (they can be up to $3 a holder since demand is so high). But you can't do better than that.

When I send mine in I use an inner sleeve, an outer sleeve, and a card saver or a top loader. I tend to have stuff lying around because I buy a lot of singles.

I would definitely insure anything worth more than $50 when I mail it. It only costs a few dollars most of the time. I've only ever needed insurance once in 10+ years but I sleep better at night knowing I always have it. As for the actual packaging, flat rate priority boxes from the USPS are the best there is. 2 day delivery with tracking.

Thank you for the reply and the recommendations, once I take a pic I'll re quote so you can analyze.

Boat Times

Made the Grade
Oct 25, 2017
Hey all, figured I'd give a little update on my Pokemon card sales. I still have about 20 listings of various cards up, some mixed lots, some individual, a few graded cards, but according to eBay I've made over $6,000 so far from these sales! I believe that doesn't take into account the 12% eBay fees or shipping, so it's actually lower than that, but I'd imagine its still in the upper $4k to lower $5k range. That's pretty awesome for cards that were just hanging out in my attic! Of course, more than half of that money is from a single Lugia card. I make very frequent trips to the post office these days.

I've seen some talks about the $50 tier (Regular tier) of PSA and when that will get back, and I have now gotten two shipments back that were sent in that tier and each took pretty much exactly a month to be shipped back to me, so that's pretty accurately what you can expect. My value tier cards were sent in at the end of November and have yet to even be entered into the grading process, so I've got no idea when I'll see those. Still not expecting them back till maybe April or something? I have no idea. But I'd say if you send cards in at the Regular tier of higher, you can expect them back within a month.

Oct 29, 2017
Well I have a ponyta and a seel both with plain borders and no 1st generation stamp. Off to eBay I go

well I've learned these aren't much but I've found I have some interesting ones. Shining Magicarp is going for some wild prices.

Last edited:

Shrennin

Oct 25, 2017
Good evening! Thanks for waiting. Let me pull out your highlights.

• Japanese Lugia Neo Genesis seems to swing $50-$75 depending on condition. (Link 1 Link 2 Link 3)

• Dark Dragonite Rocket 5/82 seems to be fluctuating a lot. If you asked me before I looked it up again I'd say this was $40-$50 (Link 1 Link 2 Link 3) but there's actually a lot of $65-$75 sales (Link 1 Link 2) and even some $100 sales. (Link 1 Link 2) List high with offers and see what you get!

• Venusaur Base Set 15/102 had been $100+ until recently but seems to be slumping down to ~$60. (Link 1 Link 2 Link 3) There's still some at the previous price point though so the slump could just be to saturation. (Link 1 Link 2) Your condition doesn't look too good though, so you'll have to take some off for that.

• Charizard Base Set 2 4/130 is... weirdly unpredictable. Very all over the place. There's cards $100-$200 (Link 1 Link 2) but there's also inexplicable prices over $400 (Link 1 Link 2) I don't know what to make of that other than $100-$200 is common and the most likely sale price you can expect. But the other prices are still frequent enough to suggest it might be worth to price it higher and see what you get for interest.

• Japanese Dark Blastoise can sell for up to $100 (Link 1 Link 2 Link 3) but Japanese cards live and die by availability. If there's a lot for sale this might only go for $50-$60.

• Mewtwo Base Set 10/102 is one of those cards that sells for a ton of different prices because a lot of different kinds of collectors want one. I've said in this thread a whole bunch of times to list it for $40 (Link 1 Link 2) but they look very saturated right now and there aren't a lot moving for this price point. I say don't sell yourself short on this one but $30 might be more realistic.

• Mew Black Star Promo #9 is the holographic variation of this card. Taking some higher prices in to account I'd say this is probably $40-$50 and possibly on the rise due to the January bump. (Link 1 Link 2 Link 3) $60 isn't too uncommon either actually.
So these are just your highlights. You have a toooon of cards here and even if you sold them all for $3 a piece you'd make hundreds of dollars. You'll want to sell those as one giant mixed lot though. I'd just separate out the 1st Editions and sell them as their own lot for ~$7 each. You can ready about how to sell mixed lots like this above in the post I wrote for Earthboundstarman.

Let me know if you have any questions!! :)

Thanks so much! This is awesome!

APZonerunner

Features Editor at VG247.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
England
So, I finally had a sift through all my cards this past weekend. I made a decision not to touch any of the stuff that's of sentimental value to me... meaning I wouldn't touch Base, Jungle, or Fossil, all of which I have complete sets of (and then some!) However, I've got quite a lot of Team Rocket, Gym, Neo, Base 2 and Promo cards I'd be willing to part with.

This includes some stuff like Dark Blastoise & Charizard first edition holos from Team Rocket, and quite a few 1st edition cards from the other sets. They are generally in very good condition as towards the end, after Base/Jungle/Fossil, my interest in the TCG was waning and so I was opening packs and sliding them straight into binders. So many of these cards have been touched by human hands once.

I basically logged all the Holo, Rare, & first edition cards I have in this multi-tab spreadsheet (with tabs split by the set): https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1pPa3vaMu7oKWqJ6HHCPVUZISu_2R2PYho5A0KUDfzTE/edit?usp=sharing

If pictures would help of specific rarer cards to try to figure out the value, I can oblige.

What I'm trying to figure out, and am after help with, is figuring out what is actually worth selling (all of it? some of it?) and also, of course, what is worth having sent off to be PSA graded in order to boost the value. All of this is completely alien to me.

There's also a few things not listed on the spreadsheet:
  • I also have TWO of the Southern Islands collector's sets they released. These are mint basically, with all the reverse-holo cards. They've never been out of the binder, as far as I recall. One of the binders itself is faded from light damage, but otherwise these are mint. The postcards that come in the set are even sealed, still! I wouldn't want to part with both of these, just one... but again, what's the best path here? To sell the individual cards, or the complete set?
  • I have two fully sealed starter kits... you know, the one that comes with the infamous 1st edition Machamp. These are literally still in the shrinkwrap. Any value?
  • I have about 15 sealed Fossil Booster Packs, which, again, I don't quite know the value of/what to do with. They've never been weighed.

Last edited:

Camp1nCarl

Oct 25, 2017
Awesome thread, I play a lot of MTG and I can't believe how hot the Pokemon market has gotten again recently lol, along with a lot of other TCGs right now. It's damn near impossible to find anything besides a few lose booster packs of Pokemon (and sometimes Magic) on store shelves right now.

Just a tip for those looking for an expected value of their cards and are familiar with what set is what. There are websites out there that track the value of cards, such as one called PikaStocks which just launched really really recently that you can search the average TCG values on and gives you a decent ballpark range of what the value is of those cards. The Magic version of the website MTGStocks is really popular but I'd recommend it to people as well as checking eBay sold listing to help so Finale isn't swamped going through everyone's collections hahah.

All this Pokemon research made me have the urge to buy a pack...or 12...of Vivid Voltage. I got some cool cards so I'm not dissapointed, but I feel like I'd be better off just buying the individual cards I want (the full arts and reverse holos, not interested in the rainbow secrets) individually on eBay than buying these packs. What do people think of that strategy? And no, I don't think it's counterintuitive to buy these cards and sell my older ones because these older ones have far exceeded any value I could have imagined as a kid.
Thanks for being an awesome community guys!
|I can't speak 100% on Pokemon, but in other TCGs like Magic buying singles is absolutely the way to go. Cracking packs is pretty much gambling and financially it's so much better to simply acquire the singles you want rather than cracking packs hoping for certain cards. Sure there is a certain amount of fun and excitement cracking boosters, but especially if it's for "investments" I'd definitely recommend just buying the singles.

Sealed product are also solid items to generally sit on investment wise in Magic. I'm guessing it's probably similar to Pokemon for booster boxes and some items? Not sure about Elite Trainer's Kits if those do pretty well long term, considering the Magic equivalent (Fat Packs or Bundles as they are called now) don't really increase much in value after long periods of time.

Llyrwenne

Hopes and Dreams SAVE the World
Oct 26, 2017
Does anyone know what this is?

Front:
c7UlsZn.jpg

Back:
kNtzCV4.jpg
This is Bill's PC from one of the Japanese Vending Series sets. This is not a regular Pokémon card in the sense that it is not an actual game piece intended for use in the game part of the TCG. Instead, this card was part of a 1999 promotional campaign in which you would mail it alongside one of the Pokémon pictured on the front of the card to receive a unique promotional card featuring that Pokémon's evolved form in return. The Pokémon featured all evolve via trade in the video games - aside from Omanyte, which is a bit of an odd inclusion as a result. This is a great example of the unique promotions ran on the Japanese side of the TCG. Looking at sold eBay listings, the card seems to go for about $20 to $30.

OP
OP
Finale Fireworker

Finale Fireworker

Oct 25, 2017
United States
Yeah that E3 Pikachu came directly from my sisters boyfriend who attended E3. I have no idea where i got the ghost pikachu's from, other than being into pokemon cards as soon as they hit.

Imgur was acting weird, so i had to put them in their own albums to keep it straight. Apologies!

imgur.com

Red Cheeks E3

imgur.com

Ghost 1

imgur.com

Ghost 2

imgur.com

Ghost 3

So these look good, but not amazing. They look a bit dirty (not as in literally but just showing wear from exposure) and would probably returns 7s or 8s max. Let me do some pricing research and I'll get back to you in a little bit about what your best chance at selling them will be.

I like the back of this, that's cool. You don't see a ton of cards with alternate backs. This is very old Pokémon art. Notice Charmander has its visible shoulder spike, which was phased out in design refinements.

OP
OP
Finale Fireworker

Finale Fireworker

Oct 25, 2017
United States
Hey all, figured I'd give a little update on my Pokemon card sales. I still have about 20 listings of various cards up, some mixed lots, some individual, a few graded cards, but according to eBay I've made over $6,000 so far from these sales! I believe that doesn't take into account the 12% eBay fees or shipping, so it's actually lower than that, but I'd imagine its still in the upper $4k to lower $5k range. That's pretty awesome for cards that were just hanging out in my attic! Of course, more than half of that money is from a single Lugia card. I make very frequent trips to the post office these days.

I've seen some talks about the $50 tier (Regular tier) of PSA and when that will get back, and I have now gotten two shipments back that were sent in that tier and each took pretty much exactly a month to be shipped back to me, so that's pretty accurately what you can expect. My value tier cards were sent in at the end of November and have yet to even be entered into the grading process, so I've got no idea when I'll see those. Still not expecting them back till maybe April or something? I have no idea. But I'd say if you send cards in at the Regular tier of higher, you can expect them back within a month.
I am so so happy with your continued success, congratulations. I really appreciate that you've hung around the thread too and keep weighing in on your experience, especially with PSA. Lots of people have questions about this but I hadn't done it in a really long time and your input has been really useful.

I ended up sending one card to get graded and one card to get reholdered at the Express tier a couple weeks ago. I am trying not to check their status every day because I know it's going to be a long wait. I also did the $50 Express tier.

netprints

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This is a great thread. I went through and pulled all my rare cards out. I think I am going to skip PSA. IDK if it is worth it to send it through that. I know my holos have a lot of scratches but I have some shadowless and 1st editions that look good. Should I just start posting them on ebay as is?

Tab

Nov 23, 2017
I think I'll go dig up my cards. I have them loose in a bunch of those collectors tins, so no idea what their condition is like. Most of my stuff is from the Ruby/Sapphire to Diamond/Pearl era though, but I do have some e-series and earlier.

OP
OP
Finale Fireworker

Finale Fireworker

Oct 25, 2017
United States
So, I finally had a sift through all my cards this past weekend. I made a decision not to touch any of the stuff that's of sentimental value to me... meaning I wouldn't touch Base, Jungle, or Fossil, all of which I have complete sets of (and then some!) However, I've got quite a lot of Team Rocket, Gym, Neo, Base 2 and Promo cards I'd be willing to part with.

This includes some stuff like Dark Blastoise & Charizard first edition holos from Team Rocket, and quite a few 1st edition cards from the other sets. They are generally in very good condition as towards the end, after Base/Jungle/Fossil, my interest in the TCG was waning and so I was opening packs and sliding them straight into binders. So many of these cards have been touched by human hands once.

I basically logged all the Holo, Rare, & first edition cards I have in this multi-tab spreadsheet (with tabs split by the set): https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1pPa3vaMu7oKWqJ6HHCPVUZISu_2R2PYho5A0KUDfzTE/edit?usp=sharing

If pictures would help of specific rarer cards to try to figure out the value, I can oblige.

What I'm trying to figure out, and am after help with, is figuring out what is actually worth selling (all of it? some of it?) and also, of course, what is worth having sent off to be PSA graded in order to boost the value. All of this is completely alien to me.

There's also a few things not listed on the spreadsheet:
  • I also have TWO of the Southern Islands collector's sets they released. These are mint basically, with all the reverse-holo cards. They've never been out of the binder, as far as I recall. One of the binders itself is faded from light damage, but otherwise these are mint. The postcards that come in the set are even sealed, still! I wouldn't want to part with both of these, just one... but again, what's the best path here? To sell the individual cards, or the complete set?
  • I have two fully sealed starter kits... you know, the one that comes with the infamous 1st edition Machamp. These are literally still in the shrinkwrap. Any value?
  • I have about 15 sealed Fossil Booster Packs, which, again, I don't quite know the value of/what to do with. They've never been weighed.
Okay my friend, thanks for your patience. Let me pull out your highlights for you so you can start making some decisions. Since there's no pics I can't gauge your condition, so just know that damaged cards sell for less so you should lower your expectations for anything in rough shape.

Rocket
  • Dark Blastoise Rocket 3/82 1st Edition is a really popular card with two price peaks. There's sales $100-$200 (which is already a wide swing: Link 1 Link 2 Link 3) but there are also quite a lot of sales in the $300s and $400s (Link 1 Link 2 Link 3 Link 4). I feel like there's a lot of previously stable cards that are all whipped up in a frenzy right now. I can't say for sure what's causing it but I always say that you should sell for what people are willing to pay. So maybe list high but be prepared to drop it down if you can't get any interest.

• Dark Charizard Rocket 4/82 1st Edition is a companion to Blastoise above and is in a similar position as Dark Blastoise where there are two price peaks. There's lots of sales in the $300-$400 range (Link 1 Link 2 Link 3) that are generally the ones in worse condition. But the ones in better condition go for a lot more. There's plenty of ~$600 sales for those. (Link 1 Link 2 Link 3) I think with these two cards people are really paying a premium for cards they think will grade better. This "pack fresh" one went for $1,584, so that supports that.

• Dark Dragonite Rocket 22/82 1st Edition is the non-holo variant of this card. Most likely your set number is going to be 22/82, but it if's non holo and says 5/82 let me know because that's an error card worth extra money. But assuming this is the normal print you're looking at $45-$55 most of the time. That's a lot for a non-holo. (Link 1 Link 2 Link 3)

• Blaine's Moltres Gym Heroes 1/132 is one of the more valuable holos from these sets that's $45-$60. (Link 1 Link 2 Link 3)

• Feraligatr Neo Genesis 4/111 1st Edition $200-$300 and that depends a lot on condition. (Link 1 Link 2 Link 3)

• Metal Energy Neo Genesis 19/111 1st Edition is generally a pretty inexpensive card that tops out around $10-$20. Even as a 1st Edition holo from Neo Genesis it's still just an energy. However this card has a lot of surface area that's foiled which means there's a lot of area for damage, so people will pay up if you have a really fine one in really great condition. Prices around $35 aren't too uncommon. (Link 1 Link 2 Link 3)

• Espeon Neo Discovery 1/75 is a beloved card of a beloved Pokémon. Usually this sells for $50-$60. (Link 1 Link 2 Link 3) But if your condition is really good you can get close to $100. Ask high on this one. (Link 1 Link 2 Link 3)

These are just your highlights - the cards that are worth the most individually. But all your holos are going to be worth $10-$20 depending on the set. Your mixed lots of non-holo 1st Editions are also $5-$10 a card, which will add up quickly to sell as a mixed lot. So there's several hundred dollars here in your spreadsheet that shouldn't be too difficult to sell.

Regarding Southern Islands...
You might have seen it mentioned a few times here but Southern Islands is exploding in popularity and the value is really up there. The complete set without the binder of post cards or anything sells for $300-$400 (Link 1 Link 2 Link 3) The complete set with the binder, set list, and post cards is more $400-$500. (Link 1 Link 2 Link 3) I am not sure you would get anything for the sunfaded one, but you could certainly try to sell it.

Regarding Starter Kits...
I think I know which one you're talking about, but there's actually a couple of things this could be. There is a version with a Pikachu on the front and a version without that are different products with different contents. I'd want to confirm which ones you have (some pictures would be great if you get the chance) before I give you estimates, but they are definitely worth hundreds of dollars each no matter what. So let me know which you've got!

Regarding Fossil Boosters...
I've only sold boosters a few times myself so my experience is limited, but like I mentioned way back when you first posted there's two ways to sell these: weighed and unweighed. This is because holographic cards are heavier and therefore you can predict which cards have holographic cards in them and which do not. There's two schools of thought on this. If you sell them unweighed and advertise them as unweighed, people might not believe you and steer clear of the listing. This might make them harder to sell. If you do weigh them, it's more work to sell and you would have to separate the boosters in to separately priced listings. But you may sell them faster as a result because buyers can see what they're ordering. I think no matter what these are going to average out to about $200 a pack. (Link 1 Link 2 Link 3 Link 4) I think given the relative consistency of the price and the fact they aren't first edition (if I recall correctly) I would just sell them as is, unweighed, and let people buy them if they're interested. 15 boosters at $200 each is $3,000, which is a huge payday.

Regarding Grading...
I think given the cards you have it is probably not worth the cost and effort to get them graded. If you got anything graded I would say Dark Blastoise and Dark Charizard but I'd want to see pics of the front and back first. If you are really interested we could talk about it some more but I think if I was in your position I would just start selling as is.

Let me know if you have any questions or if I can answer anything additional for you. :)

OP
OP
Finale Fireworker

Finale Fireworker

Oct 25, 2017
United States
This is a great thread. I went through and pulled all my rare cards out. I think I am going to skip PSA. IDK if it is worth it to send it through that. I know my holos have a lot of scratches but I have some shadowless and 1st editions that look good. Should I just start posting them on ebay as is?
In that kind of condition, yes, I'd just get listing. Sounds like fast money to me!

OP
OP
Finale Fireworker

Finale Fireworker

Oct 25, 2017
United States
Just a tip for those looking for an expected value of their cards and are familiar with what set is what. There are websites out there that track the value of cards, such as one called PikaStocks which just launched really really recently that you can search the average TCG values on and gives you a decent ballpark range of what the value is of those cards. The Magic version of the website MTGStocks is really popular but I'd recommend it to people as well as checking eBay sold listing to help so Finale isn't swamped going through everyone's collections hahah.
I am only just learning about this. I'm playing around with it now. This is really slick!

I'm sure they're still working on it but I notice it's not perfect at returning results. Seems like using the search function often takes you to the wrong card (especially if it's a card with multiple prints) but navigating through the set list is really solid. This is very impressive. Do you know who's behind it? Is it affiliated with TCGplayer beyond the links?

This would be a gamechanger for this thread as you already suggested.

Llyrwenne

Hopes and Dreams SAVE the World
Oct 26, 2017
Awesome thread, I play a lot of MTG and I can't believe how hot the Pokemon market has gotten again recently lol, along with a lot of other TCGs right now. It's damn near impossible to find anything besides a few lose booster packs of Pokemon (and sometimes Magic) on store shelves right now.

I am only just learning about this. I'm playing around with it now. This is really slick!

I'm sure they're still working on it but I notice it's not perfect at returning results. Seems like using the search function often takes you to the wrong card (especially if it's a card with multiple prints) but navigating through the set list is really solid. This is very impressive. Do you know who's behind it? Is it affiliated with TCGplayer beyond the links?

This would be a gamechanger for this thread as you already suggested.
At first glance, PikaStocks' number seem very ... odd. For example, they assign 1st Edition Neo Discovery Espeon an average of $1400, a market average of $74, and a 'Europe average' of €3,50. None of these numbers make any sense, especially in the context of each other. They put the Unlimited print of the same card on a much more stable graph showing a steady $100+ average and market price, but that would make the Unlimited print more expensive than that $74 'market average' of the 1st Edition print, which again makes no sense. Their FAQ states they get their data from TCGplayer and Cardmarket, but Cardmarket's graph for this same card shows the average sale price consistently hovering around €20, with one random €200 spike likely caused by the sale of a graded card. I'm not sure how this translates to a $1400 average, or a €3,50 'Europe average', or a steady $100+ market average.

I'm not sure what exact data they have access too, and it is not immediately apparent to me how they're sorting through the many additional variables at play here. What's included? What's not? Why? Does this include graded cards? If so, do they distinguish between grades? For raw cards, do they distinguish between different conditions of the card and their varying sale prices? Do they exclude non-English cards from the data? Is this an issue with the quality or amount of data they have access too?

It is quite possible I incidentally picked an outlier, or that these numbers will simply even out as they add more data points, but I felt it relevant to mention regardless.

I personally suspect this kind of site works much better for games like Magic, in which card value is almost entirely tied to playability instead of condition or collectability. Graded cards are a near non-factor in Magic. Condition is far less important than playability. Few Magic players truly collect Magic cards or sets. The game is different, and the culture and community around it are different, which makes the market different. The vast majority of the Magic market is determined by playability alone. If a card is good in a popular deck, it goes up. If a card works well with a newly revealed card from an upcoming set, it goes up. When a card rotates out of a format, it goes down. When a card gets banned from a format, it goes down. When playable cards get large reprints, their prices drop across all prints. Playability is everything. This makes the Magic market much simpler and easier to track.

The Pokémon market is a different beast entirely, with many more factors to consider. Playability is literally a non-factor for the most desirable cards. You can't play Base Set Charizard in any official format. It wasn't even that good back when it was playable in an official format. Collectors make up the vast majority of the Pokémon Market, and collectors are more complicated than players. They introduce many more (and more subjective) price-influencing factors to consider, and these factors make the market much harder to track, explain, or pin down. Collectors collect many different things for different reasons, and cards can sell for a premium for no discernable reason other than a specific collector deciding the premium is worth paying to secure a specific card. Condition plays a significantly larger role, and thus has a far greater effect on pricing. The importance of condition in turn increases demand for cards graded by third parties, and the presence of graded cards, the differences between grades, and preferences for certain grading companies further impact pricing. Subjective factors such as nostalgia and (character) popularity have a significant impact on prices too. Base Set Charizard isn't any rarer than any other Base Set Holo card. Its value is derived not from rarity or playability, but from subjective and volatile factors such as popularity and nostalgia. Rarity does play a role, but equal rarity does not translate to equal value, and rarity is not necessarily more important than popularity. Collectors chase specific prints, and each print of a card or set has a different value influenced by rarity, popularity, distribution method, etc. When playability is a non-factor and collectability is everything, reprints no longer bring down prices. Being tied to such a large property so many have strong nostalgia for also leads to non-TCG events affecting the TCG market as people are driven to revisit the property. Pokémon Go; Quarantine; Logan Paul opening a Base Set box; The market spike itself attracting 'investors'. Events like these can bring an influx of new or returning collectors, creating volatile spikes in demand that games like Magic are unlikely to experience. All of these factors make the Pokémon market much harder to accurately track via sites like these, as simply looking at mass data collected from card sales will show a large range of prices influenced by many different factors, and controlling for all these factors behind the scenes requires a lot of work. In addition, data gathered exclusively from mass marketplaces such as TCGplayer and Cardmarket probably does not accurately reflect the full scope of the Pokémon market, as a significant part of the market for older and more valuable cards takes place outside those platforms.

Apologies for the long post. I just kept typing and I couldn't stop. It's entirely possible I'm wrong on this and that nothing I said makes sense, as I typed this up while half asleep.

Last edited:

Camp1nCarl

Oct 25, 2017
Excellent post and I think you hit the nail on head regarding the limitations of the website. It's formatting and data pulling works great for MTG but is really limited for Pokemon for the exact points you listed, plus search is a mess like Finale referenced because Magic doesn't have duplicate named cards.

Interesting write up regarding the nature of Pokemon investing, at initial glance everything you mentioned seems spot on as well. Very interesting coming from the MTG side, but it certainly looks like an exciting time in the Pokemon TCG world and I find it particularly interesting how Japanese and English are on separate paths/releases. It's pretty exciting diving back into Pokemon after so long lol, and I might have to check out some of the newer sets too. Pretty crazy seeing the prices on new cards and older cards for Pokemon.

I visited a few stores this weekend and when I glanced over at the TCG sections they were completely wiped out of almost everything but a few lone packs. My friend looking for some MTG cards said people are literally lining up for restocks in stores. Wild times in the collectable world

MoonCoffee8

Banned
Aug 30, 2020
I have two 1st edition Charizards (with the stamp and all) that I found in a box from my youth. The actual face of the cards is of good quality but they are naturally bent (no creases, just warped) from time. Obviously still worth sending for evaluation?

Setreal

Oct 27, 2017
I have two 1st edition Charizards (with the stamp and all) that I found in a box from my youth. The actual face of the cards is of good quality but they are naturally bent (no creases, just warped) from time. Obviously still worth sending for evaluation?

Post some pics. If it's just holographic bend that can be solved, but if they're damaged that will significantly reduce the value.

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
I spent a shitton of money in these things in the past, but unfortunately, most of it was brazilian cards. I have some english cards though and I think one of them is a base set holo hitmonchan, is that worth anything? I don't remember if it's first edition, i have to find where it is first, so if it's worthless i won't even bother lol