• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Was this thread interesting and/or helpful to you?

• Yes, this thread was interesting and/or helpful. Thank you!

Votes: 425 92.2%
  • No, this thread was neither interesting nor helpful. Shut up!

Votes: 36 7.8%

• Total voters
OP
OP
Finale Fireworker

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
I would like to see how the pictures combine, that sounds rad :-o
It's a bit hard to find a high-rest picture, but you can get an idea from this picture:
southern%20island.png

So each row of these cards takes their art from a larger image. These images were also printed on post cards that came with the complete set. Sorry some are so small, just pulling from Google.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
It's a bit hard to find a high-rest picture, but you can get an idea from this picture:
southern%20island.png

So each row of these cards takes their art from a larger image. These images were also printed on post cards that came with the complete set. Sorry some are so small, just pulling from Google.
Those are delightful! I especially like all of the detailed foliage in the jungle one.

Which reminds me, didn't one of the earliest card sets have some sort of jungle theme?

Hoping we get a jungle course in New Pokémon Snap...

OP
OP
Finale Fireworker

Finale Fireworker

Oct 25, 2017
United States
no. I mean, right after the first editions of the very first set. It looks exactly like the first edition charizard without '1st edition' logo. They changed up the card dressing a little in the later editions/expansions. They added a drop shadow to the monster portrait for all the cards since then. But the second printing of the original set didn't have this ugly drop shadow. That's what I'm looking for.

that's Also why it's tough to find a real 2nd edition card, cause of that 2nd edition branding you posted.
Ah, okay. That's funny. People don't usually call Unlimiteds second edition. That's usually what people accidentally call Base Set 2. Sorry for the mix-up.

What you're describing is the unlimited print of Base Set Charizard 4/102, technically the third (or fourth, in some contexts) version of the card. Prices for the unlimited Charizard sells for about the same as Base Set 2 Charizard, but is also prone to higher prices if the condition is excellent.

Zalman

Oct 25, 2017
Definitely these are worth money, even in the standard Unlimited print. Full sets like this are highly desirable because most sets have been broken up to send the holos in for grading. If you ever decide to sell them you'll sell them instantly. Are they in good shape? Did you collect them as a kid or as an adult?
Some of them are from way back in the day, but about 10 years ago I decided to fill the holes and get those six sets completed. The majority are in great condition, although there are some I would like to replace at some point. (My Jungle Clefable is terrible, lol.)

They're mostly unlimited versions. Not really something I care about personally, but I realize that cuts some of the value.

javac

Oct 28, 2017
Speaking of e-reader, I have a few Japanese Web and VS cards from that era, did they ever bring those lines to the west?

Helloween

Oct 27, 2017
Oooo I got loads in a folder is anyone able to give me a hand later if I get pictures?

Edit these ate all of ones fossil and jungle I want to say

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
I sold my classic cards a few years ago which was a nice relief to know they were still desirable. I also tried to get back into it after moving to Japan and seeing how robust the card game market is here but just could never stick with it. Personally don't like the artwork of the new cards but I was happy that I could get rid of them easily once I snapped out of it.

Though collecting the various cards for Erika was a fun few months of going to different shops when I traveled to different towns and what not. The trainers featured with their signature pokemon was a selling point to getting me back in the collecting but once I realized they were not continuing the theme it was easy to drop again.

SM11b-062.jpg

41ds1SCpYvL.jpg

definitely my favorite gym leader since I was a kid.

OP
OP
Finale Fireworker

Finale Fireworker

Oct 25, 2017
United States
Those are delightful! I especially like all of the detailed foliage in the jungle one.

Which reminds me, didn't one of the earliest card sets have some sort of jungle theme?

Hoping we get a jungle course in New Pokémon Snap...
You're thinking of the aptly named "Jungle" expansion. This was the first set to follow the original base set.

Some of them are from way back in the day, but about 10 years ago I decided to fill the holes and get those six sets completed. The majority are in great condition, although there are some I would like to replace at some point. (My Jungle Clefable is terrible, lol.)

They're mostly unlimited versions. Not really something I care about personally, but I realize that cuts some of the value.
This can vary with condition, especially Base Set, here's about what you're sitting on.

Base Set: $800-$1200
Jungle: $300-$400
Fossil: $250-$350
Rocket: $400-$500
Gym Heroes: $500-$600
Gym Challenge: $500-$700

Some notes:
  • Condition is going to really make the difference on these, but especially on the Base Set. There are lots of Base Set cards in bad shape so prices will be way lower for damaged cards.
  • Jungle seems sort of high right now, not sure why that is. Likewise, Fossil seems sort of low. These sets usually go for around the same price since they were released close together and have almost the same amount of cards in them. I'm thinking an average of $300 for both is realistic - condition permitting.
  • Rocket is very popular, people love this set. Very easy sell.
  • Gym Heroes and Gym Challenge are massive sets (over 130 cards each) that were not popular with collectors. Kids didn't really like the idea of the Pokémon belonging to someone else (Brock's Vulpix, Misty's Psyduck, etc). They were also hard to play competitively because these cards could only evolve from respective trainer lines. Brock's Vulpix could only evolve in to Brock's Ninetales, etc. So these cards were not collected very passionately and thus completed sets are difficult to find. If these cards are in really good condition, I think you will have the easiest time getting the most amount of money out of them. You'll probably get your asking price because availability just isn't there.
Even on the low end you have about $3000 here. Pretty sweet.

OP
OP
Finale Fireworker

Finale Fireworker

Oct 25, 2017
United States
Finale Fireworker Sorry if you already mentioned it somewhere and I just missed it but I would like to know what your favorite Set of Pokémon cards is.
Easily Rocket.

Prior to Rocket, Pokémon cards used a lot of neutral poses and official art. There were some exceptions but by and large Pokémon used their basic Ken Sugimori art and weren't very "exciting". This feels sort of uncharitable to say because I obviously love these cards and I love Sugimori's art and the watercolor era. They're a huge reason why I collect these cards. But as a kid, I was accustomed to seeing Pokémon depicted a certain way. That was usually like this:

So when Rocket came out and introduced Pokémon with a mean streak, the way they were drawn totally changed. All the basic key art and Sugimori sketches had been used up. Rocket was our first set with dynamic action poses where Pokémon took on identities totally different from what we were used to seeing. That same plump regal Blastoise posing for picture day on the Base Set card now looked like this:

This Blastoise was drawn by Mitsuhiro Arita, the artist who drew Base Set Charizard - the standout card from the early sets. It was like suddenly we have an entire set of Charizard art. I look back on this set with a deep fondness and to this day it remains my favorite assembly of card are.

Speaking of e-reader, I have a few Japanese Web and VS cards from that era, did they ever bring those lines to the west?
Depends on which ones! If they were from sets, they probably made it over. But if they were promos, which sounds like what you're describing, probably not. Wizards could not meet release schedules and released very few promos in this time period.

Oooo I got loads in a folder is anyone able to give me a hand later if I get pictures?

Edit these ate all of ones fossil and jungle I want to say
Yes, please come back and post! It would be my pleasure to look over them with you.

Zalman

Oct 25, 2017
You're thinking of the aptly named "Jungle" expansion. This was the first set to follow the original base set.

This can vary with condition, especially Base Set, here's about what you're sitting on.

Base Set: $800-$1200
Jungle: $300-$400
Fossil: $250-$350
Rocket: $400-$500
Gym Heroes: $500-$600
Gym Challenge: $500-$700

Some notes:
  • Condition is going to really make the difference on these, but especially on the Base Set. There are lots of Base Set cards in bad shape so prices will be way lower for damaged cards.
  • Jungle seems sort of high right now, not sure why that is. Likewise, Fossil seems sort of low. These sets usually go for around the same price since they were released close together and have almost the same amount of cards in them. I'm thinking an average of $300 for both is realistic - condition permitting.
  • Rocket is very popular, people love this set. Very easy sell.
  • Gym Heroes and Gym Challenge are massive sets (over 130 cards each) that were not popular with collectors. Kids didn't really like the idea of the Pokémon belonging to someone else (Brock's Vulpix, Misty's Psyduck, etc). They were also hard to play competitively because these cards could only evolve from respective trainer lines. Brock's Vulpix could only evolve in to Brock's Ninetales, etc. So these cards were not collected very passionately and thus completed sets are difficult to find. If these cards are in really good condition, I think you will have the easiest time getting the most amount of money out of them. You'll probably get your asking price because availability just isn't there.
Even on the low end you have about $3000 here. Pretty sweet.
Thanks for the roundup. I don't plan on selling at the moment but it's nice to know. It's funny, the Gym sets are actually my favorites, and the majority of those are in excellent condition.

OP
OP
Finale Fireworker

Finale Fireworker

Oct 25, 2017
United States
Thanks for the roundup. I don't plan on selling at the moment but it's nice to know. It's funny, the Gym sets are actually my favorites, and the majority of those are in excellent condition.
The gym sets have incredible art. Rocket's Scyther is an all-timer and I really love the holographic trainer cards. First of their kind!

A lot of cards in this set also get right up close and personal in the Pokémon's face. I love that too.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
I sold my classic cards a few years ago which was a nice relief to know they were still desirable. I also tried to get back into it after moving to Japan and seeing how robust the card game market is here but just could never stick with it. Personally don't like the artwork of the new cards but I was happy that I could get rid of them easily once I snapped out of it.

Though collecting the various cards for Erika was a fun few months of going to different shops when I traveled to different towns and what not. The trainers featured with their signature pokemon was a selling point to getting me back in the collecting but once I realized they were not continuing the theme it was easy to drop again.

SM11b-062.jpg

41ds1SCpYvL.jpg

definitely my favorite gym leader since I was a kid.
Oh neat, I would like to see more gym leader cards like this if there are any

Erika, my childhood waifu. Celadon City introducing sixth-grade me to gambling.

Scarecrow

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Ah, okay. That's funny. People don't usually call Unlimiteds second edition. That's usually what people accidentally call Base Set 2. Sorry for the mix-up.

What you're describing is the unlimited print of Base Set Charizard 4/102, technically the third (or fourth, in some contexts) version of the card. Prices for the unlimited Charizard sells for about the same as Base Set 2 Charizard, but is also prone to higher prices if the condition is excellent.
Good to know. Not familiar with the collector parlance myself.

I just miss my first Charizard 😭

OP
OP
Finale Fireworker

Finale Fireworker

Oct 25, 2017
United States
Good to know. Not familiar with the collector parlance myself.

I just miss my first Charizard 😭
I feel you. I have a particularly painful memory of parting with a Venusaur as a kid. If only we knew then what we know now. Oh well.

If you ever decide to get back in to it and pick up your long lost card(s) let me know and I'll help you make sense of what's out there.

Scarecrow

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I feel you. I have a particularly painful memory of parting with a Venusaur as a kid. If only we knew then what we know now. Oh well.

If you ever decide to get back in to it and pick up your long lost card(s) let me know and I'll help you make sense of what's out there.
Totally. I still have some unlimited stuff from that base set stuck in a folder A half world away. It'll be nice to visit them again when I finally get home

OP
OP
Finale Fireworker

Finale Fireworker

Oct 25, 2017
United States
Last year I got my original collection from my mom after not seeing it for nearly 20 years. I even made a thread about it. After that I had about a one month obsession period with trying to fill in the gaps of my old collection and get every card from Base to Rocket. I bought new card holder pages for my original binder even. I live in Japan so it would be easier (and cheaper) to get the Japanese cards so I spent some time hunting down my missing cards in trading card shops and online. Honestly it's more fun to find it in a shop, anyone can just Google the card and buy it. I managed to get a Charizard in pretty good condition for 800 JPY.

I fell off before I made any real progress, but I'll finish my collection one day. ONE DAY.
I remember your thread! I actually couldn't remember if I posted in it, but it looks like I did. I'm glad you finished your collection.

So what is the Japanese market like? Finding cards in shops is totally impossible and a foreign thought to me. I've spent years trying to find if there are any alternatives to eBay in the west and there really just is not at all. It's eBay or nothing. I'm really interested in Japanese cards but the only way I'd know how to buy them would be from other western collectors, which would come with a high markup for sure. What are prices like over there?

Oct 25, 2017
While this thread is going on I guess I'll share this tucked away oddity. It's a bit off topic as it's not the pokemon TCG, but still pokemon cards nonetheless. Topps, had a line of pokemon cards that was more connected to the anime. Not a playable card game, but just another line of collectable cards that aligned with television shows.
Anyways, I did end up with some packs, and I don't know what happened to most of my collection.. Besides these few that I still hold.
Somehow I lucked into a collection of miscut cards, where I can align the sheet. Holographic to boot!

While my cards are out, I'll share the first one I ever got. It's worn and faded, common, and was just given to me at a summer/daycamp place as they had aplenty of this card. But it was mine, and brought me into the world of pokemon, besides being that weird show that I came across one morning. Oddish is my starter pokemon :3
No card has higher value.

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
I remember your thread! I actually couldn't remember if I posted in it, but it looks like I did. I'm glad you finished your collection.

So what is the Japanese market like? Finding cards in shops is totally impossible and a foreign thought to me. I've spent years trying to find if there are any alternatives to eBay in the west and there really just is not at all. It's eBay or nothing. I'm really interested in Japanese cards but the only way I'd know how to buy them would be from other western collectors, which would come with a high markup for sure. What are prices like over there?
Sadly I didn't finish my collection... YET. One day dammit.

A great thing about Japan is that if you have a hobby, there is a store dedicated to it. Hell there might be a dedicated block to just one thing. Pokemon cards are no different. There's a ton of dedicated trading card shops, and you can also find cards at recycle and used good shops.

Now most trading card shops only have new stuff. It's the nature of the trading card business. Many places have old cards, but just a random assortment. For Pokemon cards, there are cards known as 旧裏面 or "old card backs". These were the card backs for the Gen I-II cards before they switched to a design they still use today. Base - Rocket, which I was collecting, all have this card back.
s_pokemon_ancient-216x300.jpg

Some card game shops have a little section for 旧裏面 cards that is a completely random assortment. You might even have to ask the clerk if they have them. At the store where I bought my Charizard card (plus several others), they were hidden behind the counter in a binder that they let me flip through. Other times they are out in the open, but in a cardboard box that you have to flip through. It's likely that the majority of the 旧裏面 cards are actually from Gen II because I'm sure a lot of collectors snatched up the Gen I cards, but I was still impressed at how many cards I just picked out by hand from a store.

EjK5USwU4AIf8rr

EjK5UnMVgAAv9eL

I got a lot of these from a store called BIGMAGIC in Ikebukuro which I recommend. I don't know what their old card stock is like now, but when I went I felt like I hit the jackpot. They also have some rare cards on display that are fun to look at.

EjK5TzoUwAUV3CP

Probably the best Pokemon card store in Tokyo is Cherumo. It's very tiny, but they have a great selection and a lot of unusual and interesting items. Mostly new cards, but they do have quite a large selection of random old cards as well.

Surugaya's Trading card shop in Akiba also has a nice selection but the prices are a bit jacked up since it's aimed at tourists. LOOK AT THIS NONSENSE:
EjK5TgGUwAAYAZP

Though if you are going to buy Japanese cards, the best way to go is online like Yahoo Auctions. Prices might be wacky, but it's definitely a lot easier than store hopping and digging through countless cards just to find one you might buy. I doubt those stores get a fresh stock of old cards frequently, what they have is what they have. But it's still cool to just walk into a store and hey, here's a bunch of 20 year old trading cards just sitting in a box.

[edit] I realized I never answered the question about prices. Common cards can be cheap, like 100 JPY. Even holographics only set me back maybe 200-700 JPY each. Though I am not a real stickler, as long as it isn't completely scratched up and there's some shine still on it I'll buy it. Online can be all over the place, though you can get good deals if you buy bundles or sets instead of individual cards.

Last edited:

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Pokémon like Clefairy and Jigglypuff are fun to watch because they were Colorless, then they got the Fairy typing, but now they've gotten rid of Fairy and all Fairies are now Psychic, so we now have them in all these three typings.

ClefairyHeartGoldSoulSilver60.jpg

images

ClefairyRebelClash74.jpg

Poison types also went from Leaf to Psychic to Darkness.

Whoa! No wonder I thought it was weird that the last few sets didn't have any Fairy type cards! I wonder why? Did it throw everything off balance or something? (C'mon, we got dragon cards...)

OP
OP
Finale Fireworker

Finale Fireworker

Oct 25, 2017
United States
While my cards are out, I'll share the first one I ever got. It's worn and faded, common, and was just given to me at a summer/daycamp place as they had aplenty of this card. But it was mine, and brought me into the world of pokemon, besides being that weird show that I came across one morning. Oddish is my starter pokemon :3
No card has higher value.
This is so sweet, thank you so much for posting.

I wish I remembered my first card... but that's a memory long gone now. I remember some cards that were particularly important to me though. Stuff I wish I had. While I don't remember my "first" card, I do remember the first cards that got me back in to collecting.

To cut an overly long and overly romantic story short, I denied myself any interaction with Pokémon trading cards for a many years because I had painful memories of destroying my collection to be cool. It was a sort of personal betrayal I never forgave myself for. I carried the sadness of eliminating something I really loved from my life and didn't want to think about Pokémon any more as a result. My family moved several times when I was a teenager and by the time we settled in our last house I didn't really unpack a lot of my stuff. It just went in the closet. But in 2008, I was looking for stuff to sell on eBay and decided to open a plastic tote I'd had in my closet since we moved the first time when I was a boy. There was lots of random stuff inside. Mostly a lot of little toys and games I hadn't wanted to get rid of when I was still little. But inside this tote I found two Pokémon cards. This was a shock to me because I'd accepted for a long time that I destroyed my whole collection and none were left. But there they were, two survivors, and I'd unknowingly had them for years. They were these two promos:

Discovering them made me feel like I could start collecting again, so I did. They're very special to me for that reason. They were the beginning of a long journey to make it up to myself for my self-inflicted boyhood injury.

OP
OP
Finale Fireworker

Finale Fireworker

Oct 25, 2017
United States
Sadly I didn't finish my collection... YET. One day dammit.

A great thing about Japan is that if you have a hobby, there is a store dedicated to it. Hell there might be a dedicated block to just one thing. Pokemon cards are no different. There's a ton of dedicated trading card shops, and you can also find cards at recycle and used good shops.

Now most trading card shops only have new stuff. It's the nature of the trading card business. Many places have old cards, but just a random assortment. For Pokemon cards, there are cards known as 旧裏面 or "old card backs". These were the card backs for the Gen I-II cards before they switched to a design they still use today. Base - Rocket, which I was collecting, all have this card back.
s_pokemon_ancient-216x300.jpg

Some card game shops have a little section for 旧裏面 cards that is a completely random assortment. You might even have to ask the clerk if they have them. At the store where I bought my Charizard card (plus several others), they were hidden behind the counter in a binder that they let me flip through. Other times they are out in the open, but in a cardboard box that you have to flip through. It's likely that the majority of the 旧裏面 cards are actually from Gen II because I'm sure a lot of collectors snatched up the Gen I cards, but I was still impressed at how many cards I just picked out by hand from a store.

EjK5USwU4AIf8rr

EjK5UnMVgAAv9eL

I got a lot of these from a store called BIGMAGIC in Ikebukuro which I recommend. I don't know what their old card stock is like now, but when I went I felt like I hit the jackpot. They also have some rare cards on display that are fun to look at.

EjK5TzoUwAUV3CP

Probably the best Pokemon card store in Tokyo is Cherumo. It's very tiny, but they have a great selection and a lot of unusual and interesting items. Mostly new cards, but they do have quite a large selection of random old cards as well.

Surugaya's Trading card shop in Akiba also has a nice selection but the prices are a bit jacked up since it's aimed at tourists. LOOK AT THIS NONSENSE:
EjK5TgGUwAAYAZP

Though if you are going to buy Japanese cards, the best way to go is online like Yahoo Auctions. Prices might be wacky, but it's definitely a lot easier than store hopping and digging through countless cards just to find one you might buy. I doubt those stores get a fresh stock of old cards frequently, what they have is what they have. But it's still cool to just walk into a store and hey, here's a bunch of 20 year old trading cards just sitting in a box.

[edit] I realized I never answered the question about prices. Common cards can be cheap, like 100 JPY. Even holographics only set me back maybe 200-700 JPY each. Though I am not a real stickler, as long as it isn't completely scratched up and there's some shine still on it I'll buy it. Online can be all over the place, though you can get good deals if you buy bundles or sets instead of individual cards.
Ah, sorry, yes, I see what you said now. I am dyslexic and somehow got something different when I first read your post. I apologize, wishful thinking!

I love Japanese cards more and more. Even from your photos you can tell the print quality is so much higher. Something I love about the Japanese cards is that you don't lose any details in the holofoil, unlike WotC cards which become much harder to see. Just look at the contrast on that Charizard and how clearly you can see all the flames behind it. They're beautiful.

It's something I'd like to get in to but I will struggle with the language barrier. I have a friend who speaks Japanese who tried to help me a bit on Yahoo Auctions but between his lack of knowledge on Pokémon and my lack of knowledge of Japanese we couldn't really find what I was looking for. How easy is it to find complete sets over there? From my very limited exploration it seems like those are not so easy to locate for sale. Maybe you can help me out!

javac

Oct 28, 2017
I won't lie, every time I see some thumbnail on YouTube of some 30 something year of guy with his mouth wide opened pointing at a box of Pokemon cards with the caption "I BOUGHT EVERY BOX IN THE STORE" a little bit of me dies inside.

OP
OP
Finale Fireworker

Finale Fireworker

Oct 25, 2017
United States
I won't lie, every time I see some thumbnail on YouTube of some 30 something year of guy with his mouth wide opened pointing at a box of Pokemon cards with the caption "I BOUGHT EVERY BOX IN THE STORE" a little bit of me dies inside.
Yeah. I can't watch PokéTubers. It's like the content is specifically designed to make sure I don't enjoy even a single second of it. It's either boring, annoying, or deeply upsetting.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017

A lot of it feels like flexing. "I JUST GOT 10 SPECIAL BOXES BEFORE ANYONE ELSE, WATCH WHAT STUFF I GOT". No, you JUST bought those up to unbox and now less people can have any :/ Especially since there were videos like a few weeks before Champions Path came out, and these guys got stuff way ahead of time (I'm guessing card shops gave them early, rather than TCPI giving them freebies), and most of us picked up scraps at the end :/

javac

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah. I can't watch PokéTubers. It's like the content is specifically designed to make sure I don't enjoy even a single second of it. It's either boring, annoying, or deeply upsetting.
I'd watch a few here and there in the past just to get a closer look at some rare or valuable cards, but yeah it's all obnoxious.
A lot of it feels like flexing. "I JUST GOT 10 SPECIAL BOXES BEFORE ANYONE ELSE, WATCH WHAT STUFF I GOT". No, you JUST bought those up to unbox and now less people can have any :/ Especially since there were videos like a few weeks before Champions Path came out, and these guys got stuff way ahead of time (I'm guessing card shops gave them early, rather than TCPI giving them freebies), and most of us picked up scraps at the end :/
Yup it's not as cool as they'd like you to think, and I'm not memeing here when I say think of the children, buying entire stocks is just so selfish and definitely a big reason why prices are super inflated these days. Plus besides all of that, it's like peak YouTuber screaming and feigning excitement and just the whole thing is annoying and what I hate about YouTube and the internet. Pulling a rare card out of a random booster or even one box is cool, buying multiple boxes to get that card, what's the point, might as well just buy the card itself at that point!

kalavaras

Oct 28, 2017
Lol not gonna lie I got a lil' excited looking at this thread and browsing some ebay prices. My cards are in pretty rough shape as we used to do some stupid shit with them as kids and I carried them in my pocket. This is pretty much worthless.
E9Y9a2E.jpg

javac

Oct 28, 2017
Lol not gonna lie I got a lil' excited looking at this thread and browsing some ebay prices. My cards are in pretty rough shape as we used to do some stupid shit with them as kids and I carried them in my pocket. This is pretty much worthless.
E9Y9a2E.jpg
I wouldn't say worthless, besides, all of the memories are the most valuable thing! So nostalgic, reminds me of being a kid

TheSix

Nov 1, 2017
Toronto
I went on vacation one year and I went to a Toys r Us to get some toys together. They got what the wanted, I got 6-8 packs of cards. In those packs, I had three Charizards. I miss those days

DQDQDQ

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I went through mine a couple months ago. 3 uncommons short of a complete base 1 set. Was looking at grading some of the holos but it seems like you can't get the card saver 1's PSA wants you to use without paying a big premium. I do want to start selling if I can while prices stay high.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
The dark or 'bad' Pokemon cards are cool imo

I regret getting out of cards around that time. I remember seeing the full import listing in my old Beckett magazines (which I have kept :p) and was really looking forward to them getting localized, because the art of the dark Pokemon were great! ....but that was when I got into Digimon and I was a silly kid who denounced everything Pokemon at the time as "baby stuff", but fortunately made the decision to keep it all because "maybe I'll regret getting rid of my games/cards/figures, so I'll just tuck them away for now..." I make good decision (I love both Pokemon and Digimon).

gerg

Oct 25, 2017
This thread prompted me to see if I had my childhood collection of cards, but alas I think I gave away the set some time ago. It was mostly some first edition starter cards (which I think was more or less complete), as well as some Team Rocket cards.

Edit: I found them! There's a few first edition cards, but on the whole it doesn't appear that the collection would be especially valuable.

Last edited:

Beren

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
southern%20island.png

I would like to see how the pictures combine, that sounds rad :-o
I have the complete set and the binder they came in with the corresponding artwork. I'm going to take pics of the more interesting stuff in my collection later today and I'll include those so you can see them.

John Dunbar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
is my 4/102 charizard really worth like 200 bucks? might try to sell my collection then. i have a good number of 1999 cards.

Phantom

Writer at Jeux.ca
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Canada
I have a Pocket Monster Charizard JP foil, I think it's worth $600+

I'm also a collector who has hundreds of EXs,Vs,full art trainers, secret rares, etc. Nothing on the level of my MTG collection but I really love Pokemon artwork. The game though I dislike.

Sadist

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Holland
I think I have Dark Gyrados at home

Its been years since I took a look at them. Did buy some new current series cards and those are fun, but man those vMax cards and holo foils everywhere

Balma

Oct 27, 2017
This thread is a nostalgia bomb. The only complete set I have is the base set.

aszM8y5.jpg

Sadly there is a scratch on the back of the folder from my cupboard hinge. Postcards are still sealed.

ZOOXaRF.jpg

42FeQKf.jpg

Random promos:
i1v0KAY.jpg

My only first edition cards are Team Rocket. I bought them from a guy in America who made a Final Fantasy fan mix album (project majestic?). Still got the box but the flimsy top came off.
3zbElzJ.jpg

BhIORzt.jpg

It was nice looking at them again.

OP
OP
Finale Fireworker

Finale Fireworker

Oct 25, 2017
United States
I wouldn't say worthless, besides, all of the memories are the most valuable thing! So nostalgic, reminds me of being a kid
It's not worth anything monetarily in that condition, but I'm with Javac here. Having your own childhood cards, even as just a sock drawer novelty, is a special thing you can't buy. Something most collectors deal with is that no matter what they spend their money on and what they collect as adults, they will never get back what they lost from when they were kids. Considering a lot of what motivates adult collectors is nostalgia, that's a big deal.

So hey, maybe you're not rich, but you've got something money can't buy. That's something.

I went on vacation one year and I went to a Toys r Us to get some toys together. They got what the wanted, I got 6-8 packs of cards. In those packs, I had three Charizards. I miss those days
I had very bad luck with boosters when I was a kid, especially base set boosters. I can't tell you how often I got Computer Search instead of a "real" rare card. I had one friend whose luck with boosters was out of this world. At one point, he had four Charizards. This was unprecedented. No kid had what he had. Kids would trade their whole collection for one Charizard. To have four was a cosmic impossibility to a nine year old. One day at the local Pokémon League I was actually plotting to steal one of his Charizards when he was distracted. As I was trying to build up the nerve he suddenly starts sobbing and crying and spilling his binder out on the floor - he'd been robbed. Someone stole his Charizards. The employees running the league pleaded to the group for whoever took them to return them. They even threatened to disband the league if the person didn't come forward. But nobody did.

That kid started crying so hard he threw up which made somebody else with a weak stomach throw up. It was a spectacle. To make him feel better, the store owner gave him some booster packs. In one of those packs he pulled a new Charizard. How the sun always shined on Michael. Damn that kid's luck. (I hope you're not him, lol.)

I went through mine a couple months ago. 3 uncommons short of a complete base 1 set. Was looking at grading some of the holos but it seems like you can't get the card saver 1's PSA wants you to use without paying a big premium. I do want to start selling if I can while prices stay high.
Are those card savers a requirement or just a recommendation? I've sent several cards in to PSA and never used one. I can't imagine they'd require you to use a certain sleeve.

This thread prompted me to see if I had my childhood collection of cards, but alas I think I gave away the set some time ago. It was mostly some first edition starter cards (which I think was more or less complete), as well as some Team Rocket cards.

Edit: I found them! There's a few first edition cards, but on the whole it doesn't appear that the collection would be especially valuable.
You should post them! Maybe there's something special in there.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Finale Fireworker

Finale Fireworker

Oct 25, 2017
United States
Hey thanks! i took some piccys. The first 4/5 pages are Shiny ones, the rest non. Not sure how interesting it is but here:

imgur.com

Pokemon Cards

Imgur: The magic of the Internet
This is a great mixed lot. Thank you for posting it. You also have some valuable stuff in here. Let me call some stuff out.

• Umbreon 13/75 Neo Discovery is one of the central cards from that set, along with Espeon. Gen II Neo sets are a somewhat volatile right now but this is absolutely worth some money. One sold yesterday for $196.

• Rocket's Mewtwo 14/132 Gym Challenge is another valuable card and yours is 1st Edition. On it's own, condition permitting, this will sell for $200-$300.

• Hitmontop 22/75 Neo Discovery is also 1st Edition. That's $100-$150.

• Forretress 21/75 Neo Discovery is 1st Edition, but this isn't a very popular card. More of a "filler" card among the holos in this series since Forretress is nobody's favorite Pokémon. Probably a $40 card.

• Your Dark Gyarados is a prerelease promo. This is just a novelty I wanted to point out, but it's not worth any extra money.

• Dark Slowbrow 12/82 Team Rocket is 1st Edition, but it looks like the non-holo variant. So this is just a few bucks.

• Dark Charizard 4/82 Team Rocket sold for $80 just this morning. Condition matters here a lot though. You can get $80-$100 if it's truly near mint but you're looking at closer to $50 if condition is poor.

• Base Set Charizard is always worth money. $200-$300 for in near mint condition. The card sells itself.

You have a lot of other good cards here, but nothing that jumps out as unique. For fun, just count every other holo card you have as $15. I count 30 holos (I think) so even if you take just those that's $450. Plus the low-end estimates above that's about $1250. That's not even including all the other more modest stuff where you'll still make money on volume. Awesome stuff.

And if you decide not to sell anything and just want to enjoy having them, this is a really cool binder. It feels very authentic, the kind of collection build from circumstance rather than intention. You can always tell the difference, I love seeing pictures of these sets. Thank you for sharing. :)

Last edited:

gerg

Oct 25, 2017

So, from a cursory glance, I appear to have a complete base set, all holographic through to Zapdos (with non-holographic duplicates of all the rares). Machoke is first edition, with what appears to be a "narrow 1".

I have a less complete collection of Fossil cards, with holographic rares again through to Zapdos, excluding Hypno and Raichu. Of these, Kabutops is first edition. (I do appear to have non-holographic versions of Hypno and Raichu, however.) The only other items to note from that set appeear to be a first edition non-holographic Dragonite.

From Jungle, I have holographic cards up to and including Wigglytuff, excluding Pinser, which I again have as a non-holographic card. This otherwise appears to be complete too.

My Team Rocket collection is relatively incomplete. I have a first edition Magikarp and Dark Machoke, and then holographic versions of the below:

Dark Arbok
Dark Gyrados
Dark Machamp
Dark Magneton
Dark Vileplume
Dark Weezing

I have additional rares from this set too.

I then have a variety of promo cards:

Mew
Mewtwo, Pikachu, Dragonite and Electabuzz (all tied to the first movie)
Four Ancient Mew cards
Articuno, Zapdos and Moltres
Meowth
Another Pikachu and Mewtwo
The birthday Pikachu
Unown
Entei
Arcanine
Jigglypuff

I have a whole variety of assorted Japanese cards, and then four of the island cards that were mentioned previously: Mew, Onix, Togepi and Pidgeotto. All of those seem to be pretty near-mint, and come with a postcard of the illustration across Mew, Onix and Pidgeotto.

I'm also certain that I have a special A4-size single sheet of promotional cards, but I can't find that right now! (Edit, from Googling and from memory I think this is a Neo Genesis promo set of the starters.)

As I mentioned, I don't suspect that I've struck gold!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Finale Fireworker

Finale Fireworker

Oct 25, 2017
United States
This thread is a nostalgia bomb. The only complete set I have is the base set.

My only first edition cards are Team Rocket. I bought them from a guy in America who made a Final Fantasy fan mix album (project majestic?). Still got the box but the flimsy top came off

It was nice looking at them again.
Great pictures! Those 1st Edition cards are worth money for sure. Small double digits on most of them, but Dark Charizard is $300-$400 and Dark Blastoise is $80-$100. Dark Dragonite is pretty predictably $80-$100, but it can fluctuate.

Tell me, do you have any unopened booster packs still? I see the package in the photo but this looks like it's open, is that right? It's cool you kept it. I wish I kept more of my packages.

A complete Base Set is $800-$1200 depending on condition, so that's nothing to scoff at. That's assuming it's the regular unlimited print. If you have 1st Editions in there it's a whole different story. Your Southern Islands set there would probably go for $200+, even with the damage.

TheSix

Nov 1, 2017
Toronto
It's not worth anything monetarily in that condition, but I'm with Javac here. Having your own childhood cards, even as just a sock drawer novelty, is a special thing you can't buy. Something most collectors deal with is that no matter what they spend their money on and what they collect as adults, they will never get back what they lost from when they were kids. Considering a lot of what motivates adult collectors is nostalgia, that's a big deal.

So hey, maybe you're not rich, but you've got something money can't buy. That's something.

I had very bad luck with boosters when I was a kid, especially base set boosters. I can't tell you how often I got Computer Search instead of a "real" rare card. I had one friend whose luck with boosters was out of this world. At one point, he had four Charizards. This was unprecedented. No kid had what he had. Kids would trade their whole collection for one Charizard. To have four was a cosmic impossibility to a nine year old. One day at the local Pokémon League I was actually plotting to steal one of his Charizards when he was distracted. As I was trying to build up the nerve he suddenly starts sobbing and crying and spilling his binder out on the floor - he'd been robbed. Someone stole his Charizards. The employees running the league pleaded to the group for whoever took them to return them. They even threatened to disband the league if the person didn't come forward. But nobody did.

That kid started crying so hard he threw up which made somebody else with a weak stomach throw up. It was a spectacle. To make him feel better, the store owner gave him some booster packs. In one of those packs, he pulled a new Charizard. How the sun always shined on Michael. Damn that kid's luck. (I hope you're not him, lol.)

Are those card savers a requirement or just a recommendation? I've sent several cards in to PSA and never used one. I can't imagine they'd require you to use a certain sleeve.

That's horrible to hear! Poor kid. I knew how rare they were just not their monetary value. I traded my first one for a new Game Boy and Pokemon Yellow, the second I traded for some PS1/N64 games and the last one I *MAY* still have

Balma

Oct 27, 2017
Great pictures! Those 1st Edition cards are worth money for sure. Small double digits on most of them, but Dark Charizard is $300-$400 and Dark Blastoise is $80-$100. Dark Dragonite is pretty predictably $80-$100, but it can fluctuate.

Tell me, do you have any unopened booster packs still? I see the package in the photo but this looks like it's open, is that right? It's cool you kept it. I wish I kept more of my packages.

A complete Base Set is $800-$1200 depending on condition, so that's nothing to scoff at. That's assuming it's the regular unlimited print. If you have 1st Editions in there it's a whole different story. Your Southern Islands set there would probably go for $200+, even with the damage.

I opened all of the booster packs as soon as I possibly could!

That's a crazy price for Southern Islands, something that was £15-£20 new.