• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

bye

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Anyone watching this? It's actually pretty good for a reality show - 8 contestants are living in separate apartments with nothing to do other than chat on a social network with each other called The Circle. Some of them are catfish in their profiles, which makes it interesting. At the end of each "week" they rate each other anonymously, and the 2 people at the top get to decide who goes home.

Netflix are releasing episodes in batches every Wednesday over 3 weeks, so only 4 episodes are out now.

BearPawB

I'm a fan of the erotic thriller genre
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I am enjoying it.
I wish there was a way to watch the OG british verison. But even a vpn to channel fours site didn't work for me.

I think anyone who enjoys some shlocky reality TV would enjoy this.

carlsojo

Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
It's so dumb but once they start rating each other it's like YEAH this is compelling and I will binge this to death.

Just got to the icebreaker my god this is amazing tv

totofogo

Oct 29, 2017
Chicago
It's so dumb but once they start rating each other it's like YEAH this is compelling and I will binge this to death.

Just got to the icebreaker my god this is amazing tv

Amen lol. Put this on with my SO last night with no expectations. Spent half of the first episode laughing about how we wouldn't make it through one... then came the ratings and we had binged two episodes till midnight lol.

OP
OP
bye

bye

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
spoilers ep4

really wish they didn't introduce ANOTHER contestant. at least he's a catfish (a bad one tho). hopefully this is it for new ppl

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
spoilers ep4

really wish they didn't introduce ANOTHER contestant. at least he's a catfish (a bad one tho). hopefully this is it for new ppl
I have to wonder if he's the last new contestant. Considering it still doesn't even feel like the new girl is part of the group yet, it'll take a while for him to actually effectively con people. Assuming 12 episodes total - they have to start thinning the herd at some point.

The format of this show is pretty great, partially because it's so corny. You get the sense all these people are just verbalizing their actual thirsty Instagram comments, made at 2am in their empty apartment.

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
It's a reality show? Kind of weird they stole the name of the social network from that Dave Eggers book (which was adapted into a film starring Tom Hanks and Emma Watson). I clicked on the thread expecting this was some sort of spinoff or sequel to that.

Ant

Oct 27, 2017
UK here, do they mention in the full episode in any way that the USA series was actually filmed in the UK or just kind of not mention it?

They definitely filmed in the same building as the 2nd UK Series either before or after it was filmed.

Loved both the first and second seasons of the UK Circle, glad to see them expanding it!

Jun 20, 2018
So disappointed I can't view this in the UK! I watched and enjoyed the first few seasons of Big Brother, but never been into reality TV since then. The first two seasons of the UK Circle were brilliant though. You can really see how people say things that they never ever would if they were face to face.

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
Watched the first two episodes. The first episode started really rough with introducing Chris, Alana and Joey first as the three people being the most over the top. Thought I was instantly going to hate it. It ended up coming around a lot and I'm loving it.

This is the replacement for Big Brother I have absolutely been asking for.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I forgot Netflix picked this up to adapt for other markets. Weird it's not available in the UK but Channel 4 probably want to keep a firm grasp on it here since it does pretty well.

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
Finished the 4 episodes. Loving the show. Come around entirely on Joey. Sammie was one of my favorites, but she's gone down some. She seems to constantly hate people judging and giving off bad impressions, but she seems to be the biggest perpetrator of judging someone until they single her out to talk to her one on one.

Shooby is about to win this damn thing.

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
Also, for anyone that ever played an online Big Brother or Survivor ORG, holy shit does this show basically encapsulate that essence perfectly.

Ringten

Nov 15, 2017
OK never watch shows like these...but watched ep.1 and kinda see how it hooks you lol.

Joey at first may seem like a dudebro person, but I think he is probably the realest one out there (based on ep.1)

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
This show is fucking garbage and I love it.

I still don't get how they'll end up with a winner. Guess whoever gets the most votes will win?

The premise is weird though because why would anyone ever assume anyone is in this to be flirty in a real way when they know some of the people are catfish?

Subham/Joey bromance is fantastic.

spoilers ep4

I thought they said 4 more people were going to join -- did I imagine that?

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
So this show is both stupid and surprisingly engaging. I hate almost everyone there but I can't look away.

Ryhian

Jan 23, 2018
I binged the 4 episodes today and am totally sucked into this show. I normally dislike reality shows but love the format and the fact there's not over the top fake drama.

Shooby is amazing and I'd love to see him or Sammie win. I was a little shocked at them bringing another new one in. The best part of the episodes are definitely the video reveals after being blocked.

Oct 27, 2017
In the middle of the first ep and everyone calling out the basic white girl just makes me laugh. I knew they'd all react that way 😂

Antoo

May 1, 2019
Binged it and enjoyed it. Ended up going back to the UK version and I love it even more.

J-Wood

Oct 25, 2017
Just started this and I'm dying.

But..is this real or this a fake "reality" show?

Alvaro

Feb 13, 2019
Dafuq, this show is so addicting, just watched all 4 episodes back to back and want to keep watching more.

Antoo

May 1, 2019
Finished the first UK season in like 2 days. This show is my addiction. It's honestly crazy how crazy and raw it is though. Some guy straight up in the show talking about how pro-Brexit he is and how they need to put their country first and the rest of the cast just eviscerated him. The catfish in this season was amazing though and it definitely felt less showy. Would recommend it to people who like me discovered the show with the US version.

Ringten

Nov 15, 2017
Finished the first UK season in like 2 days. This show is my addiction. It's honestly crazy how crazy and raw it is though. Some guy straight up in the show talking about how pro-Brexit he is and how they need to put their country first and the rest of the cast just eviscerated him. The catfish in this season was amazing though and it definitely felt less showy. Would recommend it to people who like me discovered the show with the US version.

Cheers! I usually prefer British banter aswell...on what service can I watch it?

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I was surprised by how much I enjoyed it. Maybe it's just how animated the personalities are I find amusing.

HeeHo

Oct 27, 2017
I'm surprised that people are enjoying it this much. I found the constant cuts to sound effects from the contestants TVs really grating and the "acting" to be very obvious for a reality TV show. I watched like 3 or 4 episodes in a row - mostly because a friend was insisting.

Ringten

Nov 15, 2017
It was available on YouTube for free a couple of days ago but I think word got out and it's gone now. You may uh have to go digging. 🤫😉

Seen 4 episodes. This one is so much better!!! The American one is over the top (acting wise)...this feels a lot more grounded.

Cant stand this franky dude... what a piece of shit person. Hating on everyone lol

Antoo

May 1, 2019
Seen 4 episodes. This one is so much better!!! The American one is over the top (acting wise)...this feels a lot more grounded.

Cant stand this franky dude... what a piece of shit person. Hating on everyone lol
The guy grows on you trust me. I leaned towards Dan and Kate the whole game, but Freddie is damn savage. Amazing one liners.

BearPawB

I'm a fan of the erotic thriller genre
Oct 25, 2017

got a link? the youtube ones i had been watching got removed. And I can't even get a vpn to work on channel 4's site

Ringten

Nov 15, 2017
But they aren't actors...

haha you don't have to be a (professional) actor to act? anyone can... hence why i am saying it is so over the top. Entertaining but so fake at the same time.

The UK one is a blast...they all seem like real people.
Still not a fan of freddy tbh (backstabber imo), and I am on episode 7: DAN THE MAN! my fav.. looking forward to the new dynamic with the introduction of Hannah.

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
I'll probably end up checking out all the UK edition, but UK editions of these shows are usually underwhelming for me in some ways because there is far less strategy, and usually more gaming of the camera in a way. Where in the US people act over the top and everything in trying to become a character, in the UK there seems to be more of playing a specific image. At least it was hardcore that way with Big Brother.

Give me Japan or SK version of The Circle! SK version of it made by the dude behind The Genius.

Oct 27, 2017
That's what makes it more obvious. They were clearly coached to bring a lot of energy and show "personality."
haha you don't have to be a (professional) actor to act? anyone can... hence why i am saying it is so over the top. Entertaining but so fake at the same time.

The UK one is a blast...they all seem like real people.
I mean yeah they're probably coached to externalize their thoughts, seeing as how it's on TV (in the same way in an interview you're told to talk things out loud you'd normally just silently think through), but none of the people seem so over the top I haven't met or don't currently know someone who acts the same or gas a similar personality. I'm fact, that's why I've enjoyed it, because I know people who act similarly

hombremalo

Oct 26, 2017
I don't like shublam character, you decide to be the Indian nerdy stereotype? You can't win out of pitty