• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Cruxist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The staple snack of summertime is no more.

https://thetakeout.com/choco-taco-discontinued-1849327038

Klondike specified one- and four-packs were both being discontinued, meaning that both the unit size sold by ice cream trucks and the multi-packs sold at the grocery store have been axed. Asked why the Choco Taco was going away, the rep replied diplomatically that the decision was made for a variety of reasons, as well as to make room for newer options. This is the same reasoning we heard from Taco Bell when several beloved items were discontinued in an act of "menu streamlining" that aimed to clear space for fresh innovations.

Let us all bow our heads for this delicious ice cream treat.

EDIT: Snopes is a liar, tacos officially dead:

View: https://twitter.com/Klondikebar/status/1551606467450503171?s=20&t=ChXwcPrQ_jPmEMh4MRkrPg

Last edited:

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
There's one in my freezer right now.

Will hold onto it until it's selling for $999,999.99 on eBay.

SoleSurvivor

Oct 27, 2017
giphy.gif

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
they weren't very good but I'll miss them anyway

I'll look forward to the 2032 revival

LJ11

Oct 25, 2017
Feel like it was way better during my childhood, these days it was kind of bleh. Give me a 1994 version of the Choco Taco please!

Bengraven

Oct 26, 2017
Florida
Darkest timeline.

We used to get these at Taco Johns. I actually thought they were an exclusive TJ's product for years until I started seeing them in stores.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Unconventional take, but I'd never preferred the choco taco over any other ice cream delivery formats.

If we're talkin frozen ice cream/ice cream truck/machine treats... For me it's like:

1. Chipwich. I fucking love chipwiches.
2. Traditional ice cream sandwich
3. Ice cream cones from the machine, dunno the name, Drum sticks
4. Misc frozen bars, chocolate ice cream bar, starberry ice cream bar, the ones on sticks with the crunchies around them
5. Misc/all else (including frozen fruit bars, etc)

Choco taco is somewhere in between #4 and #5 for me. Never been into the fruit bars. I liked push pop ice cream as a kid but rarely see that anymore.

ChubbyHuggs

Oct 27, 2017
Good. I don't see how you could be more disappointing than a regular Klondike, but they hit it out of the park with the Choco Taco.

Kraid

Oct 25, 2017
Cuck Zone
Choco Tacos are kinda meh, but the namesake Klondike bar is a dog shit F- tier frozen treat, so I'm glad that the Choco Taco gets to live.

OP
OP
Cruxist

Cruxist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Snopes article quotes a tweet from June about singles still being available?

And while the taco is still listed on the Klondike website drop down menu, it doesn't link to a live page.

take_marsh

Oct 27, 2017
I tried one once a couple months back, bought from a small store just outside a campground and across from a beach on the northwest Pacific coast

I blame the freezer because the choco taco was a slightly frozen mess of awful. I took one bite and it was like fully melted icecream, wet waffle taco cone... An utter disappointment. The beach really saved me from being mad. I was pretty mad. An utter betrayal.

darkside

Oct 26, 2017
I really loved these as a kid, they were a staple choice after baseball I'd get one from the truck that was always there but have had a couple over the last few years and every time I'm wildly disappointed. They're terrible

Jul 1, 2020
A lot of the time when I've gotten them it seemed like they had been defrosted a bit then frozen again. I love the concept though and I think it's a cooler take on the drumstick style cone.

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
I love choco tacos but they were a fucking mess. I don't think I've ever enjoyed eating one despite enjoying the product itself. As they defrost the shell warps with each bite and sends the insides spilling out everywhere smfh

Their source is from June 7th. Klondike themselves on July 25th confirmed on Twitter, in a Tweet in this thread, that they have been discontinued. The people at The Takeout also called Klondike directly and were told they've been discontinued. Snopes needs to update their article. ):

CHC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The Choco Taco was a false promise all the time, every time. It should be delicious but it was always all soggy and chewy and oversweetened. If someone made a good choco taco that would be awesome, the idea is great but they didn't the logistic right to get it to customers still tasting fresh and texturally distinct.