• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MauroNL

What Are Ya' Buying?
Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
"Acclaimed developer The Chinese Room is working on a new original IP. The multiple BAFTA-award winning UK studio is creating "a first-person action adventure for multiple platforms, including next-gen consoles. Its in pre-production and will be made using Unreal Engine 4. The Chinese Room is mostly known for Dear Esther, Amnesia MFP and Everybody's Gone to the Rapture.

The studio was bought by Sumo Digital in August 2018, and is moving away from making 'walking simulators'. It has high ambitions and wants to build "the Naughty Dog of the UK." In an October 2020 interview they said: "I think what we can say is that, from the word go, we wanted the studio to be obsessively driven by story, investing a lot in character, investing in production values -- audio, music, writing, voice acting." and "Doing what we've historically built our reputation on: being really good at creating worlds that really speak to people. And what we're doing is evolving the studio, to move out of that 'art house niche' I suppose. Looking at more traditional genres, more traditional markets but keeping that fingerprint of what makes us us." The Chinese Room' lastest title is Little Orpheus, which debuted exclusively on Apple Arcade in June 2020.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
Do they have a multi-milliom budget to become the Naughty Dog of the UK? Lol

Some devs need to learn to shut up and stop reaching to the moon.

OP
OP
MauroNL

MauroNL

What Are Ya' Buying?
Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
Why would you link your tweets that copied the text from an outlet's article instead of...the article? o0

The Chinese Room's ambition to move out of the art house niche | GamesIndustry.biz

Plus, the "Naughty Dog of the UK" comment seems to come from an article from 2019?
Because the article is not the news, the fact that they're making this new game is; (which I gathered from going through their job listings) and thats why I reported on it on my own Twitter. I don't write for any website or outlet so this is my only way of sharing my own findings.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
To be fair just putting 'they want to be the ND of the UK' is a bit misleading. The actual quote is...

Pinchbeck compares it to the feeling you get when you play a game from Dishonored developer Arkane, one of the studios he's aspiring to emulate alongside Naughty Dog and Ninja Theory. "Those great studios where they've got such an indelible DNA, it almost doesn't matter what they do—you know it's them… Those studios where people talk about storytelling in games, I want us to be mentioned in the same sentence.

"Name-checking those studios is not a statement of how good you are. I think that's where you should be going. You should say: 'We want to be one of the best in the world.' Why not?"

Don't think it's a case of aspiring to be ND in terms of gameplay and production value but to be mentioned alongside the likes of them and Arkane in terms of storytelling.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
Imagine having aspirations.

I mean, are they serious? Because unless they can hire 500 people, have a nearly unlimited budget and a big publisher backing everything they ain't going to reach this ambition. There's a difference between having aspirations and thinking they will want to be like one of the biggest studios in the biz right now.

It's like hearing Avalanche Group saying that they want to be the Rockstar of Sweden.

Blackthorn

Oct 26, 2017
London
They have nothing but my complete faith in whatever they put out. I know their games are an acquired taste, but it is one I've acquired the fuck out of.

I mean, are they serious? Because unless they can hire 500 people, have a nearly unlimited budget and a big publisher backing everything they ain't going to reach this ambition. There's a difference between having aspirations and thinking they will want to be like one of the biggest studios in the biz right now.

It's like hearing Avalanche Group saying that they want to be the Rockstar of Sweden.
They're talking about having a comparable "house style", which you'd know if you read beyond the title!

Deleted member 17184

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
To be fair just putting 'they want to be the ND of the UK' is a bit misleading. The actual quote is...

Don't think it's a case of aspiring to be ND in terms of gameplay and production value but to be mentioned alongside the likes of them and Arkane in terms of storytelling.
That has a completely different meaning than what the OP said, and it makes sense. I'm curious to see how "their DNA" will present itself in these new games.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
wants to be "the Naughty Dog of the UK" [...]
[...]creating a new original first person action adventure

Mistakes are already made ;-)

OP
OP
MauroNL

MauroNL

What Are Ya' Buying?
Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
OP trying to build their social media profile up.
See my post above you.

Thats fair, but I could only fit so much in the title lol.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
They're talking about having a comparable "house style", which you'd know if you read beyond the title!

. It has high ambitions and wants to build "the Naughty Dog of the UK." In an October 2020 interview they said: "I think what we can say is that, from the word go, we wanted the studio to be obsessively driven by story, investing a lot in character, investing in production values -- audio, music, writing, voice acting."

To invest in "production values", "music", "writing and voice acting" and make something similar to ND titles you need ton of money and ton of people. If they think they can do it, i mean good for them, but a statement like this is going to put pressure on the studio (crunch!) and the people buying this game are going to have high expectations.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
The 'Naughty Dog of the UK' comment is 13 months old, plus in future please link the articles rather than your own reworded thirdhand tweet.

Status
Not open for further replies.