• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018
Here's the full quote, lightly edited to remove "likes" and "hmmms" and stuff:

As for why he's highlighting that? Because those are terrain textures that look flat, with not depth to it, even though they're supposed to have rocks, grass, twigs, stuff. You know, the kind of stuff that asks for a displacement map, or more advanced tessellation. Not just a flat pane with a texture that looks just like a texture on a flat pane.

Yeah I took it as him saying rather than it looking like this with individual rocks etc
3615731.5916195.jpg

Or this
rz1hnf52ebz01.jpg

it just looks like a flat texture
hardgrass.jpg

Dec 4, 2017
Brazil
"Do you see what the problem is there? I'm trying my best to find things that look good here"

"If I have to search for the next gen features and the next gen technology, in this game... if feel like.... I feel like that is disappointing"

This and Digital Foundry reaction to the conference had some of the most honest moments I've seen in years. Everyone was disappointed.

Oct 25, 2017
I like this guy's stuff. As someone who doesn't know shit as to what's going on under the hood, I feel he does a good job of breaking down tech in a way I can understand. He also seems like a genuine dude.

I agree, he made the Cerny talk make sense and that was going way over my head.

People need to stop being so defensive, if this bugs you enough to suggest it shouldn't be posted take a step back maybe? All of his game reaction videos have gotten threads so far and no one has complained. If he gets stuff wrong in the video or in his past videos point that out, but I like hearing from developers on what they think of next gen tech. We get very little of that in general especially in comparison to regular games media who have valid opinions but like many of us here they don't really know how games are made.

Nessii013

May 31, 2019
I guess I'm in the complete minority here? When the demo first started my initial thought was "wow this looks beautiful". And even after watching it 15+ times, I still share that sentiment.

Yes there are a few technical problems that will hopefully be solved, the pop in and low res textures for example, but the world looks great and of course, the game looks fun. I couldn't care less what a brutes face under their helmet that appears in my gameplay for around two frames looks like.

What's interesting to me is that I've seen this same reaction/sentiment on numerous reaction videos on youtube. Where as hard as it may be to believe, people thought the game looked good to great.

I fully expect the game to look better at release, but even if all they fixed was the pop in, I'd still think the game looks good.
I've noticed that reaction from a lot of people as well, and as someone with the opposite opinion, I'm curious if you've recently watched the E3 2018 trailer?

One of the biggest reasons I'm not that impressed is because it set such a high bar for me. I also have no clue as to how "open" this world is, as we haven't gotten more detail as to it being closer to Gears 5 vs Red Dead, etc.

Maybe it would've killed the hype, but I would've liked to hear someone in a voiceover on the demo clarifying those types of details. So far the information we've gotten from media outlets has been kinda inconsistent.

JasoNsider

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I'm not understanding your and the other user stance to be honest, people were talking about him like he worked on frostbite for some time, all Corralx did was correct that assumption and say people here go to town on DF and call them out on their errors, even if most of the people working there know more about graphics technology than 99% of the people here.

He didnt's say anything abrasive, plus Cherno went to town on the work of other people, so as creator of a product to be consumed by everyone via youtube, he should be ready (and the people that like to watch him) to get some criticism also. It's just how it is, this forum has being going on and on about the poor display of this game and many even had a childish reaction to the DF thread about the game.The dude didn't say anything wrong or that other people hadn't already commented on, he is right about what he said.

The exact quote of his:

"Multiple of his videos show a fairly basic (and often wrong) understanding of graphics in fact."

The guy is a highly knowledgeable, experienced developer. If Corralx knows something I don't (and that Cherno doesn't) I think it would be good to say so. Maybe Corralx is also a developer and has corrections to share?

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
I've noticed that reaction from a lot of people as well, and as someone with the opposite opinion, I'm curious if you've recently watched the E3 2018 trailer?

One of the biggest reasons I'm not that impressed is because it set such a high bar for me. I also have no clue as to how "open" this world is, as we haven't gotten more detail as to it being closer to Gears 5 vs Red Dead, etc.

Maybe it would've killed the hype, but I would've liked to hear someone in a voiceover on the demo clarifying those types of details. So far the information we've gotten from media outlets has been kinda inconsistent.
Yeah I regularly rewatch the infinite trailers. The 2018 trailer looks great, but it not being actual gameplay made it so I never expected nor focused on it too much.

Instead when the chief gets out of the pelican and looks around in the demo, that looked good to me. The warthog drift looked even better, and the lighting and environments as he was driving around looked good to me too.

The banished drop ships looked weird, like they were missing an effect, and the pop in for the fog and lighting was bad, yes. But the way the enemies reacted after being hit, the effects of the gas tanks exploding on the grunts, the brute tripping during his charge, the shot gun literally blowing people away, and more, all of that stood out to me so much more.

And of course the music being composed by Gareth Coker pretty much makes the game a must buy for me, even if I wasn't already getting it.

EagleClaw

Dec 31, 2018
Those are the best ones...
"Why is that thread at the top, i don't care"
...has board sorted by last message...

Phoenix Down

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Wow , he is normally a nice guy . I never seen him this upset. It seems like he wanted to say more, but bit his tongue due to Youtube restrictions.

Outrun

Oct 30, 2017
Yes, the game lo
Is the gameplay that enjoyable? It looks like the standard halo-fair we got used to. Potentially outdated.

If you think that what you saw if "standard Halo fare" then you have not played Halo.

I understand the criticism of graphics. The gameplay though was a departure.

-Open-World
-Multi-objectives
-grappling hook possibilities

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
I wasn't sure who Cherno is, but I went through his videos and he seems to be a dev?

Anyway, I did watch snippets from a few other videos, including Cyberpunk and Rachet and Clank. He doesn't seem to be impressed with anything. LOL. Anyone got a video where he's generally impressed with something?

He seems very impressed with the UE5 reveal

Yes, the game lo

If you think that what you saw if "standard Halo fare" then you have not played Halo.

-Open-World
-Multi-objectives

The reveal showed almost nothing for us to get excited about the open world and multiple objectives. It was a straight line from A to B like a regular linear mission. As for the grappling hook, the possibilities are cool, but the way it was used in the demo was extremely straight forward. You seem to be reacting to your imagined version of what the potential is, but the trailer didn't really show any of that.

Oct 25, 2017
The exact quote of his:

"Multiple of his videos show a fairly basic (and often wrong) understanding of graphics in fact."

The guy is a highly knowledgeable, experienced developer. If Corralx knows something I don't (and that Cherno doesn't) I think it would be good to say so. Maybe Corralx is also a developer and has corrections to share?
The only errors I've seen Cherno get picked up on was initially thinking Ratchet and Clank didn't have Ray Tracing but he wasn't going through frame-by-frame like in Halo looking for it either. But Cherno is too busy building his own game engine to pour over every little tid-bit of next-gen news like us, so he wasn't aware Insomniac had confirmed it.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
"Having to look for things that are next gen" is sort of the same way I'd describe my disappointment of seeing Halo Infinite in action. I kept waiting and then it just kept going like any other current gen game you can play now on current hardware, albeit not at 4K/60.

kaftan

Oct 27, 2017
Graphically, that shot of Far Cry is pretty accurate, at least on PC (where I played it).
Yeah it is, not sure what people are talking about.

I'm currently playing FC5 and it's definitely a looker. While obviously last gen, it has fantastic art direction that makes the game pop. What I'm getting doesn't look as good as that picture, but it's rather close and I'm playing on 1070 with settings in the high-medium area to give me safe 70-90 fps. There's no debating that the Halo Infinite materials are underwhelming both on artistic and technical standpoints. Game is definitely not ready (or either a disaster).

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wow the damage this brand has taken since the gameplay reveal is something else.

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
Why are people all of a sudden complaining about his videos? People were enjoying his thoughts on the unreal engine.

Nessii013

May 31, 2019
Yeah I regularly rewatch the infinite trailers. The 2018 trailer looks great, but it not being actual gameplay made it so I never expected nor focused on it too much.

Instead when the chief gets out of the pelican and looks around in the demo, that looked good to me. The warthog drift looked even better, and the lighting and environments as he was driving around looked good to me too.

The banished drop ships looked weird, like they were missing an effect, and the pop in for the fog and lighting was bad, yes. But the way the enemies reacted after being hit, the effects of the gas tanks exploding on the grunts, the brute tripping during his charge, the shot gun literally blowing people away, and more, all of that stood out to me so much more.

And of course the music being composed by Gareth Coker pretty much makes the game a must buy for me, even if I wasn't already getting it.
You know, that's all completely fair, nothing I can really disagree with on that front. I guess different people focused on different things tbh, as the pop-in, oddly moving phantom, static grass, and the final hologram distracted me a lot more than the gameplay enticed me.

I would've liked to see a bit less static explosions (the large explosion inside the one building causes nothing to move, and the fusion coil thrown at the turret doesn't destroy the turret and cause it to roll around like in old games, but instead just brings its shields down), but overall I have no qualms with the gameplay shown, and the music is fantastic.

I REALLY wish they would tell us exactly how open it is, and I also hope not everything has a marker attached on the map. I'm excited to see what else they have to share. I also hope we get some moments of peace and tranquility as shown in the E3 2018 trailer.

Outrun

Oct 30, 2017
He seems very impressed with the UE5 reveal

The reveal showed almost nothing for us to get excited about the open world and multiple objectives. It was a straight line from A to B like a regular linear mission. As for the grappling hook, the possibilities are cool, but the way it was used in the demo was extremely straight forward. You seem to be reacting to your imagined version of what the potential is, but the trailer didn't really show any of that.

I dont know what you are talking about.

I was responding to a chap saying that the gameplay was standard Halo fare.

The gameplay is a departure. I dont know what you are reacting to.

Deleted member 15311

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The exact quote of his:

Isn't he a GPU dev? Corralx?

Bus-TEE

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
I know there are some who love the Xbox 'platform' (let's say) and love the HALO franchise and I get it. I also get the 'circle the wagons' mentality here.

But looking beyond that and thinking critically the real question here is 'why did MS feature this so prominently in their showcase'? Couldn't they see how underwhelming it is? Surely they must have known that it wasn't going to blow people away, and if so why didn't they start the presentation with something else?

I know that HALO is, by far and away, the Xbox's biggest IP (which after three generations is sort of an issue in and of itself I suppose) but Infinite clearly wasn't ready to be shown as a prime example of a next gen Xbox console title.

At the end most of people find the WIP ugly, you don't need to be technical for this. The brute is a meme Dominos Pizza UK create its own meme.

If Domino's UK Twitter account is scoring points off HALO Infinite then it's safe to say that this whole thing has been an utter disaster.

Nilaul

Oct 26, 2017
Greece
Yes, the game lo

-Open-World
-Multi-objectives
I played halo, all of these haven't really been shown off. The "new" isn't eally shown in the gameplay trailer, and how they actually affect accounters.
What we saw is the standard halo mechanics we got used to. Mult-objectives won't really change how the fire-fighting plays. The open-world might give you opportunities for snipping, or different ways of approaching but that's about it. How does the grappling hook change accounters? It doesn't really. Halo still feels like the halo we got used to.

The potential is there but what we've been shown, shows nothing new, standard A to B affair.

Last edited:

Outrun

Oct 30, 2017
I know there are some who love the Xbox 'platform' (let's say) and love the HALO franchise and I get it. I also get the 'circle the wagons' mentality here.

But looking beyond that and thinking critically the real question here is 'why did MS feature this so prominently in their showcase'? Couldn't they see how underwhelming it is? Surely they must have known that it wasn't going to blow people away, and if so why didn't they start the presentation with something else?

I know that HALO is, by far and away, the Xbox's biggest IP (which after three generations is sort of an issue in and of itself I suppose) but Infinite clearly wasn't ready to be shown as a prime example of a next gen Xbox console title.

If Domino's UK Twitter account is scoring points off HALO Infinite then it's safe to say that this whole thing has been an utter disaster.

100%

The MS keeps of fumbling the messaging.

Forza should have led. Halo Infinite should have been established from Day 1 as being a cross-gen game. Instead, we got nonsense that elevated expectations.

Outrun

Oct 30, 2017
OH I played halo, all of these haven't really been shown off in the new ain't really shown in the gameplay trailer, and how they actually affect accounters.
What we saw is the standard halo mechanics we got used to. Mult-objectives won't really change how the fire-fighting plays. The open-world might give you opportunities for snipping, or different ways of approaching but that's about it. The question is how does the grappling hook change accounters? We haven't really seen that too much. Halo still feels like the halo we got used to.

The answer to how the grappling hook affects encounters is answered in the actual gameplay demo. A energy container is pulled to Chief and thrown at a turret... The devs also state that you can grapple airborne enemies and melee them...

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
The answer to how the grappling hook affects encounters is answered in the actual gameplay demo. A energy container is pulled to Chief and thrown at a turret... The devs also state that you can grapple airborne enemies and melee them...

"the devs also state you can do X" is not a good defense for how well a mechanic was shown in a trailer

Gravemind IV

Nov 26, 2017
The fact that he's slamming the trailer when that looked better than the 8 min demo, oof. Just delay it 343.

Nilaul

Oct 26, 2017
Greece
Yeah, but will it get old quickly? Or will it be more fleshed out? There's a lot of unknown in the game. Even if the firefighting ends up not being significantly improved, Ill still play the hell out of the game. Exploring the ring will be fun. Hopefully, they'll add a few things for the itch of explorers.

P.S. If you could slam enemies the devs should have advertised that in the gameplay and not just stated it.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
..but you oddly remain silent on my first point....

What? "Remain silent"? Are you ok? I'm simply stating that they had the opportunity to show all the things you could do with the grappling hook in the trailer instead of talking about it later. Yes, they showed some things you can do with it. But clearly a lot of people were unimpressed. If they wanted to go all in on the grappling hook, this wasn't the demo they needed to show. Many other games, from Assassin's Creed to Cyberpunk have shown much more informative demos about how the mechanics in the games work and how the open world allows them to give a dynamic range of experiences. This demo showed one area through which the player moves in like any other Halo mission. Near the end of the demo they use the grappling hook a few times, and that's it. This demo didn't really show all the new possibilities of the open world, the hook, etc. The devs might have clarified later, and people can imagine the potential, but he demo showed very little.

Orioto

Oct 26, 2017
Paris
It's a thing to say it looks bad and not next gen, or even to wonder (i know i do) how lethal it is for the xbox launch.
But really what i'm interested ion at that point, with that much of a failure, is why ?

It almost seems like the team wanted way too much for the xbox one so they scaled everything so low that they can't really do miracle with the next gen upgrade. Is this a possible explanation ?

Gengahrrr

Oct 25, 2017
At the end most of people find the WIP ugly, you don't need to be technical for this. The brute is a meme Dominos Pizza UK create its own meme.

So are people at 343 still taking this in stride?

Might as well go for the world record of holding L's at this point. The studio should at least accomplish something...

EagleClaw

Dec 31, 2018
So are people at 343 still taking this in stride?

Might as well go for the world record of holding L's at this point. The studio should at least accomplish something...

I don't know how the dominos twitter account is handled, but most company tweets refer to trending topics, so it looks kinda bad...

Outrun

Oct 30, 2017
What? "Remain silent"? Are you ok? I'm simply stating that they had the opportunity to show all the things you could do with the grappling hook in the trailer instead of talking about it later. Yes, they showed some things you can do with it. But clearly a lot of people were unimpressed. If they wanted to go all in on the grappling hook, this wasn't the demo they needed to show. Many other games, from Assassin's Creed to Cyberpunk have shown much more informative demos about how the mechanics in the games work and how the open world allows them to give a dynamic range of experiences. This demo showed one area through which the player moves in like any other Halo mission. Near the end of the demo they use the grappling hook a few times, and that's it. This demo didn't really show all the new possibilities of the open world, the hook, etc. The devs might have clarified later, and people can imagine the potential, but he demo showed very little.

I am merely responding to the idea that what we saw was standard Halo-fare.

They showed 4 things that you could do with a grappling hook within a 9 minute demo

-Traverse
-Pull objects toward you
-Throw an object to a different location.
-Pull yourself to an enemy

Anyways. It was amateur hour by 343i. They worked expectations up, and gave us a graphically bland demo.

davygee

Jun 13, 2020
But looking beyond that and thinking critically the real question here is 'why did MS feature this so prominently in their showcase'? Couldn't they see how underwhelming it is? Surely they must have known that it wasn't going to blow people away, and if so why didn't they start the presentation with something else

This is the most alarming part of the whole game showcase. After the farce showcase in May they said they have learned their lesson and will showcase gameplay in the big showing on July.

2 months later and they have gameplay for HI and gameplay for The Medium and that's about it. Their in house teams have absolutely nothing gameplay to show and they are left with Halo or nothing.

Something has gone seriously wrong in the background and it appears that nothing is ready to show at all.

What is also very alarming is that the trailer should be showcasing more footage and the best looking footage from the game. Different environments, different times of day etc. But no. This maybe shows how far behind this game is and along with the rumours of Turn10 helping out which in "turn" has potentially delayed the new Forza as well is a double blow.

I fully expect MS to resort to more timed exclusives over the forthcoming months to shore up their launch roster.

Also as a potential 3rd blow, where does this leave Lockhart? We've not seen the power of the Series X yet so how can they possibly sell the Series S???

Oct 27, 2017
Las Vegas
I'm glad I'm not overly invested in Halo or this shit would be beyond depressing. I expected so much more out of 343.

I just hope the multiplayer is really great because that's what this game hinges on for me.

Outrun

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah, but will it get old quickly? Or will it be more fleshed out? There's a lot of unknown in the game. Even if the firefighting ends up not being significantly improved, Ill still play the hell out of the game. Exploring the ring will be fun. Hopefully, they'll add a few things for the itch of explorers.

P.S. If you could slam enemies the devs should have advertised that in the gameplay and not just stated it.

At this point 343i need to do a better job. I love Halo, I love its universe. They need to deliver.

Nilaul

Oct 26, 2017
Greece
I don't know how the dominos twitter account is handled, but most company tweets refer to trending topics, so it looks kinda bad...
Definitely, also did people actually feel the need for a new console right now? They could have waited a few more years to release even more powerful consoles. Next-gen kinda feels shoved down our throats with nothing to show behind it.

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
It's a thing to say it looks bad and not next gen, or even to wonder (i know i do) how lethal it is for the xbox launch.
But really what i'm interested ion at that point, with that much of a failure, is why ?

It almost seems like the team wanted way too much for the xbox one so they scaled everything so low that they can't really do miracle with the next gen upgrade. Is this a possible explanation ?

The simplest explanation is that Halo Infinite was designed for current-gen, and hence looks current-gen. That 343i aren't quite at the same level as the really top end developers like Naughty Dog, Rockstar, Sony Santa Monica, Guerilla and so forth. That to scale up from the base Xbox One they've taken the easiest option which is to boost the resolution and framerate. They plan for ray tracing to make up for some of the biggest shortcomings and give it a genuinely next-gen look, but they don't have time to get it done before launch. Unfortunately the game lacks the kind of GI solutions that a lot of modern games use to give their lighting a boost so without ray-tracing it looks extremely dated.

It's super hard to speculate unless you have inside info, but if you wanted an explanation to bet on, the above is it. They need more time and more resources than Microsoft seem likely to give them. I guess the real fear is that they made bad fundamental choices around the engine design that are massively difficult to solve.

Last edited:

DirtySprite3

Banned
Sep 13, 2019
Man the villian in this trailer looks so bad. I don't even understand how it turned out so bad with such a huge budget behind this game. I'm thinking engine problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.