• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JasoNsider

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
You can say whatever you want about him, but what he says on this video is true.

And yes, he does some errors from time to time but it's not true that he has a fairly understanding of graphics.
He is even developing his own graphical engine.

The only "error" I've seen from him is not really seeing that Clank's reflections were raytraced, I think? Which is extremely nitpicky. These are his side videos, for fun, while he works on his game engine series. If somebody is going to disparage him I'd at least like to see what I'm missing and maybe, hell, give him a heads up that he's got a gap in knowledge so he can apply it forward.

Salty Rice

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pancake City
I get that its Halo but Microsoft really should have taken another game as the major showcase for their NextGen console.

Halo Infinite needs to put back into the oven. It looks like its fresh out of the freezer.

Calabi

Oct 26, 2017
This is a bullshot. The first rule of comparing visuals between games is never use an Ubisoft game.

I mean for a better showing they could have picked a better time of day probably. I feel like the trailers for Halo were just bad in general badly edited, badly chosen shots, just bad. There's nothing inherently wrong with bullshots(only when its over done, and I doubt any could be classed as breaking the law). You take the best of your game and show that off. I bet if Microsoft got a studio that is an expert in trailers they could have made something that looks much better.

Prime2

Oct 25, 2017
All the talk about lighting didn't do much for me but this vid did

halo needs some work.

It needs work but this seems a bit weird as a comparison considering one is 60 fps on consoles and the other isn't One also allows co op on the same screen and one doesn't. When Destiny allows its updates they will only be on the new console to allow 60 fps and yet we still have not seen that in motion or how it will look.

Verchod

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Who is this? Why should I give be interested in his opinion?

Also, We know Halo infinite looked poor.

Jssom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Nov 21, 2019
Came in here expecting debates and disagreements, of course, but was quite disappointed to see people piling on the dude. People may question his knowledge but he always seems level-headed in his reaction and pretty constructive at least.

KernelC

alt account
Banned
Aug 28, 2019
cherno is a very nice guy but DAMN he was brutal with it lol, he tore it to pieces
he was an engine developer for EA for a few years and recently quit to develop his own engine. He has been doing videos lately which are extremely informative and he breaks down the specs of each machine in a very simple way. His channel is amazing for those who want to understand. He has been doing "reactions" to these new gen consoles and this is probably the first time he has been this brutal or negative lol. He's extremely sweet

Deleted member 29249

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
It needs work but this seems a bit weird as a comparison considering one is 60 fps on consoles and the other isn't One also allows co op on the same screen and one doesn't. When Destiny allows its updates they will only be on the new console to allow 60 fps and yet we still have not seen that in motion or how it will look.

cant think of a better game to compare it with since they are so closely tied really. Destiny has a pc release so we know what it can look like running on series X.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
It is strange that there aren't elements to make it look next-gen, even 'cheap' ones.

The effects really stand out in this regard. I would expect particles from the explosions, just because you can. Maybe lingering smoke - just something visually excessive.

Dringus

Oct 27, 2017
All this negativity around Halo lately hurts so much... I think it's justified mind you, just so damn depressing. I was hyped for years to see Halo again and expected a huge return to form after all the secrecy and development time.

God damn it Microsoft.

aeroslash

Feb 7, 2018
The only "error" I've seen from him is not really seeing that Clank's reflections were raytraced, I think? Which is extremely nitpicky. These are his side videos, for fun, while he works on his game engine series. If somebody is going to disparage him I'd at least like to see what I'm missing and maybe, hell, give him a heads up that he's got a gap in knowledge so he can apply it forward.

Yes, that's exactly the error i was pointing at. Which is fine for me. The rest of everything he says, although not very technical, is very very nice and entertaining.

He says what he says about Halo because it's true. Don't kill the messenger. Halo is an average looking current gen game as it is now. Let's hope it improves a lot.

panda-zebra

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Does mad Cherno only state his opinion and comment on graphics?
Why's he "mad Cherno"? He's never been anything more than mild Cherno imo, never seems to get angry or showboat like so many others on yt.

He waches gaming graphics stuff and offers opinion on what he sees in real time, pausing videos and suhffling them back and forth to try and weigh up what's going on. It's kind of a side-step from what he created his channel for as he's not a game designer or much of a game player, his things is engine design and that's the main focus of his channel - coding and engine design/implementation. His main draw, as I've mentioned previously in this thread, is that he has the rare ability to explain technical details and processes in simple terms idiots like myself can consume, that and he's got some industry experience and is willing to discuss and break down current discussion points others who are in or have left the industry don't wish to or cannot due to whatever reasons.

Never heard of this guy, lol dont really care what he thinks of it tbh.
OK.

Valet Jay

Mar 20, 2018
It's a bullshot you're right.

How about a video?
www.youtube.com

Far Cry 5 Real Life Graphics | Ultra Realism 4K 60fps

America the Beautiful. Far Cry 5 Ultra Realistic Graphics in 4K 60fps.View in 4K on a nice display for the best experience. ◢Check out 2018 & 2019's MIND-BL...

Yep still look a generation if not more better.
Just looking at all these other current-gen titles at 4K60 - especially those with open-worlds, and it looks like Halo Infinite is very comparable. I guess the problem is that people expected more for a cross-gen title.

For example, Far Cry 5, the ground textures look worse. The rock textures, including the mountain ranges in the background are worse - and those are not even playable spaces. The player model is very low in poly-count. The animations are equally bad. The skybox/clouds are worse. I guess there's just more bad grass everywhere. And the lighting is a tad bit better. But to say this game is significantly better looking than Halo is just wrong.

Halo Infinite is not the best looking game out there by no means, but let's not lie about how good other games look.

Last edited:

BIG J

Oct 27, 2017
not gonna deny, graphics are disappointing after all the hype up
but, its growing on me. hopefully they worked on textures, lighting,... but like the art style.

most importantly, gameplay seems fun

Negotiator117

Banned
Jul 3, 2020
All this negativity around Halo lately hurts so much... I think it's justified mind you, just so damn depressing. I was hyped for years to see Halo again and expected a huge return to form after all the secrecy and development time.

God damn it Microsoft.
You can bet 343 are working hard (not too hard mind) to polish the game and improve it so it's at a level we all expect from a new Halo game.

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
To people who say why he said it looks current gen :

This is farcry 5 (current gen) thats open world and runs 4k 60 fps on 2080 (equivalent of xsx in pc )

Do you blame him that he says it looks current gen ?

In my personal opinion farcry is more impressive

Halo Infinite looks bad but at the end I hope it will look better, I am sure we will see better looking game than Halo Infinite on Xbox Series X at 4k 60 fps, this is a cross gen game.

Or maybe they can delay it if it is too late to improve it enough.

I get that its Halo but Microsoft really should have taken another game as the major showcase for their NextGen console.

Halo Infinite needs to put back into the oven. It looks like its fresh out of the freezer.

What game they aren't ready. There is a reason they showed so much offline rendering games and Forza as in-engine. EverWild was realtime cutscene at least and the gameplay is not ready.

There are more CGI/Offline video in Xbox Game Showcase 2020 than in the infamous E3 2005 Sony .

Last edited:

Truant

Oct 28, 2017
Halo Infinite as it was demonstrated last week looks flat and boring, there's really nothing more to say about it. If this was running on PC then the disappointment is even greater. This is the flagship title of a super group developer backed by one of the wealthiest companies in the world, ostensibly running on the most powerful gaming console ever produced.

I'm not sure how this footage was deemed appropriate for public consumption in 2020.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
User warned: Thread whining
I don't know who this is or why his opinion should carry a lot of weight for me.

RSena7

Oct 26, 2017
Who invited the guys that say that they don't know why his comments are of worth?
They let themselves in.

As someone who doesn't know much about graphics and performance, I will always appreciate the opinions of those who do. More than anything Cherno comes across as pleasant and without a specific agenda in his videos. I think his reaction further validates the general consensus that Halo Infinite is visually disappointing.

Misterhbk

Oct 27, 2017
I find it hilarious that people are so angry about other people's opinions on the Halo reveal. Let others discuss things they want to discuss. No reason to even pop into threads like this asking

'why do I care?'

No one cares if you care. Scroll on by. This is just as much a valid conversation as the bazillion GamePass is awesome threads on here.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017

God damn it Microsoft.

You can rest assured that you arent alone in this feeling. I think people were expecting a Halo CE style disruption. Based on the IP's legacy, the emphasis placed on tech in the previews, what is at stake for Xbox at this juncture, and how it was being positioned as the cornerstone of their new gen launch... its disappointing. My eyebrows raised more during the Destiny 2 trailer than during the Halo demo, from a tech standpoint. The fact that RT isn't going to be there day 1.... i just don't understand how they thought this would satisfy people 3-4 months before they want people to buy their new $500 box.

And thats without touching on the gameplay... which grappling hook i guess is nice, but outside of a new framework for the campaign (well... new for Halo I guess), I don't really see anything new or interesting to move the IP forward

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I like this guy's stuff. As someone who doesn't know shit as to what's going on under the hood, I feel he does a good job of breaking down tech in a way I can understand. He also seems like a genuine dude.
Yeah, this is where I am at - as much as I like DF - I can't understand half the things they say.

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
" I think it looks fairly average for a current gen game "
" in fact that is being generous "

3ad039f9eece51a4f3383f404d7c9e4a.gif
Gotta agree there, even Halo 4 on MCC looks more modern to me.

God damn it Microsoft.

Yeah I enjoyed every Halo and am not picky about the sprint stuff. But this was the first time I was disappointed by a Halo travel. Graphics, Gameplay, and Artstyle (besides Chief) all disappointed me.

Last edited:

Crumrin

Banned
Feb 27, 2020
Yo, that was brutal but it kinda reflects my sentiment while watching de demo. The game is just... underwhelming on a visual level, not only on the technical side of things but also when it comes to the art direction, which is quite uninspired. But then again, fans seem confident about the gameplay aspects so not all is bad.

plow

Oct 28, 2017
Let me come inside this threaed to tell you guys that i don't care about the topic of this thread.

Astandahl

Oct 28, 2017
It is strange that there aren't elements to make it look next-gen, even 'cheap' ones.

The effects really stand out in this regard. I would expect particles from the explosions, just because you can. Maybe lingering smoke - just something visually excessive.
It doesn't make any sense in fact especially considering the hardware of Xbox Series X. Either the engine doesn't scale well or maybe they encountered a lot of issue during development. We'll probably get more info later this year.

Nilaul

Oct 26, 2017
Greece
Just looking at all these other current-gen titles at 4K60 - especially those with open-worlds, and it looks like Halo Infinite is very comparable. I guess the problem is that people expected more for a cross-gen title.

For example, Far Cry 5, the ground textures look worse. The rock textures, including the mountain ranges in the background are worse - and those are not even playable spaces. The player model is very low in poly-count. The animations are equally bad. The skybox/clouds are worse. I guess there's just more bad grass everywhere. And the lighting is a tad bit better. But to say this game is significantly better looking than Halo is just wrong.

Halo Infinite is not the best looking game out there by no means, but let's not lie about how good other games look.
Well maybe some elements look worse in the other games, but if the overall impact is more then it doesn't really matter how much tech Halo Infinite has because it all goes pretty much wasted and unnoticed (at which point as developer your are throwing cash at a wall and wasting your time).

Oct 25, 2017
yeah I I know he's not a fanboy, but I am more in the thought of what is the point of this here after days of piling on 343 and Halo. The game needs some graphical polish after seeing that initial showing for sure, but everything else that I know about it besides the less than impressive graphics, sounds amazing. And we don't even know much about it yet.

It's like a microcosm cancel culture here. Where is there a thread that has some constructive crit or feedback that 343i could use? Instead of memes and driveby idiocy? It's just a little frustrating that there are a bunch of smart and informed people here that drool over the opportunity to shitpile on any misstep in the industry that they love.

Whatever. Cherno is a smart man using his status so no blame on him. What he said isn't exactly wrong.

Saying someone's video shouldn't be discussed on this site and busting out a cancel culture strawman at the same time is a hell of a bold move, I'll give you that.

This thread could be a thread for the the constructive criticism you want, but not if it gets derailed into personal attacks on the messenger. If you aren't happy with how this thread is turning out, you could always start your own constructive criticism thread. I think there is a potential for some good discussion on the subject.

Deleted member 15311

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not understanding your and the other user stance to be honest, people were talking about him like he worked on frostbite for some time, all Corralx did was correct that assumption and say people here go to town on DF and call them out on their errors, even if most of the people working there know more about graphics technology than 99% of the people here.

He didnt's say anything abrasive, plus Cherno went to town on the work of other people, so as creator of a product to be consumed by everyone via youtube, he should be ready (and the people that like to watch him) to get some criticism also. It's just how it is, this forum has being going on and on about the poor display of this game and many even had a childish reaction to the DF thread about the game.The dude didn't say anything wrong or that other people hadn't already commented on, he is right about what he said.

dep9000

Banned
Mar 31, 2020
I wasn't sure who Cherno is, but I went through his videos and he seems to be a dev?

Anyway, I did watch snippets from a few other videos, including Cyberpunk and Rachet and Clank. He doesn't seem to be impressed with anything. LOL. Anyone got a video where he's generally impressed with something?

Bennibop

Oct 30, 2017
I wasn't sure who Cherno is, but I went through his videos and he seems to be a dev?

Anyway, I did watch snippets from a few other videos, including Cyberpunk and Rachet and Clank. He doesn't seem to be impressed with anything. LOL. Anyone got a video where he's generally impressed with something?
Check out his flight simulator reaction.

chefbags

Oct 25, 2017
I find it hilarious that people are so angry about other people's opinions on the Halo reveal. Let others discuss things they want to discuss. No reason to even pop into threads like this asking

'why do I care?'

No one cares if you care. Scroll on by. This is just as much a valid conversation as the bazillion GamePass is awesome threads on here.

There's even an ignore thread option so you can totally not see this whole thread anymore to go even beyond not caring.

Sems4arsenal

Apr 7, 2019
People actually said Horizon and Ratchet were not impressive and that we should wait for Halo.

I still won't believe this comes out this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.