• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
Where is there a thread that has some constructive crit or feedback that 343i could use?
I agree that there could be a more focused thread on just that, and could be a point of motivation for you to create one that is just that. If 343 is reading the wave of threads here, I'm sure they wouldn't mind one that is meme-free and seeking to genuinely cite areas of improvement.

Unaha-Closp

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
Can't blame him for assuming it's a game running on an Xbox Series X. I assumed that too. Microsoft had a special 'hey let's look at games on the Series X stream' so any messy assumptions are on them. It being on PC makes it seem even worse as we know PC's can have incredible looking games. They are known for it in fact. And don't think you can blame him for assuming there was raytracing as why wouldn't you? It's an Xbox Series X game. The most powerful console ever made. It's 'next-gen' so of naturally it would have raytracing.

NaDannMaGoGo

Oct 25, 2017
In theory I like the idea of a game engine developer giving their impression on trailers and so forth. But his format feels kind of annoying to watch for me because the actual first reactions on often fast-cut trailers are similar to most people's reactions, that is to say "woah looks good/bad".

Then for a closer look it's just obnoxious to have him go through the videos piecemeal, pausing and unpausing constantly, and still often just guessing or rambling because it's too little time for more.

I much prefer a video like DF made that's properly edited, actually going more in-depths, and not wasting time on scrubbing through a trailer footage.

Oct 30, 2017
"This texture looks like a texture."

You know, this guy is much less insightful than some people think.
Well, if you continue the sentence further. He says that there are no signs of advanced techniques, like tessellation or displacement maps, on the texture to improve the illusion of depth and formation. That is why he was saying the texture were just simple textures with normal maps.

Patitoloco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"This texture looks like a texture."

You know, this guy is much less insightful than some people think.
Yet that phrase continues into the explication, which you omitted.

"This texture looks like a texture with a normal map", referring to the fact that there doesn't seem to be tessellation or geometry involved in that particular part. Even early gen games like GTA V use that kind of techniques to add 3D depth to surfaces on PS4/One.

Wereroku

Oct 27, 2017
I thought it was running on XSX since it was an XSX showcase. We're any of the games shown running on XSX?
Not that has been conveyed to us. I asked Matt if there was any reason behind using only PC's in all of these conferences and he said it was due to the WFH environment. Maybe MS has the dev kits locked down a little more if you are not on whitelisted IP's? Anyway I wouldn't worry to much we haven't heard about any problems with the dev kits.

Typhoon20

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Well I guess this thread ended that streak.

I guess it wouldn't have if he was gushing over Halos visuals eh ? I bet his lack of insight wouldn't have bothered you if he only had positive things to say. It's only an issue to you now because he's critical. And you know it. And this isn't just specific to you.

Don't like a thread ? Don't post in it.

rebelcrusader

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah that was hilarious

I just can't understand how that scene looks so bad, and then they still decide to make it so damn long in the demo and feature it in this trailer lol
This seems to be to me the one thing i can't explain away. That face looks absolutely terrible and they just keep going back to it over and over and over and over

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
This seems to be to me the one thing i can't explain away. That face looks absolutely terrible and they just keep going back to it over and over and over and over
Agreed, almost the worst part of the whole thing to me.

Sigh. What a nightmare for 343. Hope they can come out the other side from all of this but what a terrible first impression.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Well, if you continue the sentence further. He says that there are no signs of advanced techniques, like tessellation or displacement maps, on the texture to improve the illusion of depth and formation. That is why he was saying the texture were just simple textures with normal maps.
Yet that phrase continues into the explication, which you omitted.

"This texture looks like a texture with a normal map", referring to the fact that there doesn't seem to be tessellation or geometry involved in that particular part. Even early gen games like GTA V use that kind of techniques to add 3D depth to surfaces on PS4/One.
What an embarassing post. So you are just going to ommit the rest of the sentence?
Disingenuous. Anyone can take something out of context to prove their point, yours being his insight is lacking, but it's not Cherno who comes off looking bad here.
The only thing he says afterwards is "I'm not sure if..."

There's nothing disingenuous about what I said. No interesting information was imparted by this 12 minute video.

sleepr

Banned for misusing pronouns feature
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
It's a very poor looking game and people should complain about 343i and MS, not this guy. He's just sharing his genuine reaction like he does in every reaction video he does. Trying to downplay his knowledge or analitic skills won't make Halo Infinite look better.

Landford

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

There's nothing disingenuous about what I said. No interesting information was imparted by this 12 minute video.
Nah man. You are arguing in bad faith. Its ok to have a pet company, doesnt need to bend reality to fit your view. He clearly is saying that the texture is just a simple texture, without any sign of tesselation or techinique to make it look it has depth.

plow

Oct 28, 2017

You just cut the sentence in half, omitting the insight he has given on "why" it's just "texture" and you are still here saying "nothing disingenuous about what i said" lmao.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
Destiny 2 Beyond Light is also a WIP.

Visuals are largely done. Expansions are mainly content adding.

It's a very poor looking game and people should complain about 343i and MS, not this guy. He's just sharing his genuine reaction like he does in every reaction video he does. Trying to downplay his knowledge or analitic skills won't make Halo Infinite look better.

Halo 5 on Xbox One X is NOT a 'very poor looking game'. Not to talk of Infinite.

what's it about this game that makes you people break out the hyperbole?

Titanpaul

Jan 2, 2019
User warned: Thread whining
Putting aside that I personally don't think Youtube reaction videos really shouldn't be getting their own threads...

Why couldn't this go in the other Halo Infinite thread that devolved into discussion over visuals?

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
I think further development will make these particles and lightning and all that better. I'm however not into the artstyle at all. Not saying it should be realistic or something, but its just a weird mix of realism and cartoony, and it looks outdated. They should go for an actual artstyle like Overwatch or something. Cause now i dont k ow what they are going for

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
I think further development will make these particles and lightning and all that better. I'm however not into the artstyle at all. Not saying it should be realistic or something, but its just a weird mix of realism and cartoony, and it looks outdated. They should go for an actual artstyle like Overwatch or something. Cause now i dont k ow what they are going for

Especially the talking villian. He doesn't seem scary, or funny, or particularly interesting...

panda-zebra

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
There's nothing disingenuous about what I said.
Of course there was. You took a quote out of context and dismissed his level of insight with a flippant " this guy is much less insightful than some people think ".

No interesting information was imparted by this 12 minute video.
Interesting is subjective, but vs his other videos I'd probably agree - but he effectively had very little to work with going in blind on a 66 second trailer that has around 50 seconds of action. The source material gave him little to work with, the quality of what he saw gave him nothing to gush over and the opportunity to explain and impart, which is probably why he asked if he should do a video with the longer form gameplay video as it might present more opportunities. That and he gets a 2nd set of clicks, obvs.

sleepr

Banned for misusing pronouns feature
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Visuals are largely done. Expansions are mainly content adding.

Okay? That doesn't change the fact that It's a WIP. Also runs at 4K60 and it's a game from 2017 that manages to look substantialy better than HI.

Halo 5 on Xbox One X is NOT a 'very poor looking game'. Not to talk of Infinite.

what's it about this game that makes you people break out the hyperbole?

Halo 5 looks better than Halo Infinite, no doubt about it.

Hyperbole? I don't think so. This thing is running on supposedly next-gen specs and when you compare it to some launch PS4/XBO titles it looks very rough. And before you mention, yes I'm ware it's 4K, I'm mostly talking about the character models, animations, lightning, lack of physics interactions, etc.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
There's an absolute disingenuous aspect of cutting a phrase in the middle of it to create a new context.
He literally complained that a texture looked like a texture. Then he went on to complain that it's just a texture with a normal map. So what? There's nothing in that shot that looks wrong to me. I highlighted it because it sounded like he was trying to find reasons to complain. Nothing in that bit made a lick of sense to me. It's clearly a decently high resolution texture and I can see with my wack amateur eyes, when he zooms in, that there's either displacement mapping or polygonal detailing on the ground going on.

I'm sorry I offended some of you, but I thought it was a ridiculous thing thing to say. Also I didn't cut him off mid-sentence.

Nah man. You are arguing in bad faith. Its ok to have a pet company, doesnt need to bend reality to fit your view. He clearly is saying that the texture is just a simple texture, without any sign of tesselation or techinique to make it look it has depth.
I've never owned an Xbox console. And most likely never will, as I have a gaming PC.

But I do find the constant pile on around these parts exhausting.

test_account

Oct 25, 2017

What you said at first, that could make it sounds like he was just saying that a texture looks like a texture, like he was saying the most obvious thing, and nothing more (i mean, naturally, a texture looks like a texture :)). But he do mention things like poly count and tessellation after that as well. Its true that he says something like "i'm not sure", but that just means that he doesnt notice something extraordinary (if thats the right word). Its also true that he doesnt really go much into detail which techniques that are used or not, so its fair enough if one think that he doesnt add much interesting information in that regards. I'm not sure if the goal of the video was to really do much technical analyzing or if it was more just about him giving his opinion about how the trailer looks overall, but i'm guessing it was more of an initial reaction.

Last edited:

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
It seems like Halo Infinite is an Xbox One game that is getting some extra features on Series X as opposed to a Series X game that is getting downgraded to run on Xbox One.

This.

If people are being honest, given what we've seen thus far from the actual gameplay and their announcement to add seemingly regular nextgen features via patch later, this is the only possible takeaway. It's pretty sad that THIS is the reveal they hyped up for two years and I say that as a pretty fucking big Xbox fan who will be preordering the console and game day one.

Lentic

Oct 27, 2017
If you criticize a first party game, you're automatically a fanboy 🙄

There needs to be a rule against these kinds of accusations.

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South
He literally complained that a texture looked like a texture. Then he went on to complain that it's just a texture with a normal map. So what? There's nothing in that shot that looks wrong to me. I highlighted it because it sounded like he was trying to find reasons to complain. Nothing in that bit made a lick of sense to me. It's clearly a decently high resolution texture and I can see with my wack amateur eyes, when he zooms in, that there's either displacement mapping or polygonal detailing on the ground going on.

I'm sorry I offended some of you, but I thought it was a ridiculous thing thing to say. Also I didn't cut him off mid-sentence.

Here's the full quote, lightly edited to remove "likes" and "hmmms" and stuff:

Ok, these textures don't look too bad, but the problem is, to me, they look like textures. They don't look like, to me that looks just a texture with a normal map, I'm not sure if there's any displacement going on here, I'm not sure what the poly count is, or how much tessellation is happening, it looks fairly primitive.

As for why he's highlighting that? Because those are terrain textures that look flat, with not depth to it, even though they're supposed to have rocks, grass, twigs, stuff. You know, the kind of stuff that asks for a displacement map, or more advanced tessellation. Not just a flat pane with a texture that looks just like a texture on a flat pane.

EagleClaw

Dec 31, 2018

Last time i played Halo was on xbox360, and it was Halo1-3, but isn't that kinda the artstyle of Halo.
"Real" envoirments with "cartoony" weapons and characters?
Why should it be outdated? I think it is kinda part of the brand.

The showcase wasn't a looker, but you could present a pic of it and get the answer "Yes, that is Halo"

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
Not sure if he brings something up that hasn't been said before about the game. But as it is, I agree with him. I skipped through a few videos and didn't know the footage was from Halo Infinite; I genuinely thought it was from another Halo Remaster/Remake.

A game engine dev that worked at EA (on the Frostbite team IIRC) that sometimes reacts to trailers, especially currently due to next gen coming up and him being curious.

He is no one you have to know, but I thought I would answer your question :p
Not the one you've been responding to, but I appreciate it. Didn't know who this guy was and been thinking how this random guy's thoughts and reaction would grant a thread or any (major) concern.

Still not convinced, though. But I admit that generally dislike the current trend of "reaction videos". Waiting for reactions to reactions.

ShivereZ

Banned
Jun 10, 2020
Mauritius
I do agree that visually I kinda expected more from Halo.

As a sidenote: Some of the comments there being like "atleast he is honest unlike DF" made me cringe though. But that's on me for reading YT comments.

I think DF were honest as well but they seemed to be walking on eggshells when talking for some reason.

I think his reaction is a very Frank one. one which you would get from a non biased person who has no agenda.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Game looks kinda shit but I'm not really getting a good tech breakdown from this vid.

tutomos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
After warching the 4k feed I thought it looked a lot better than live. It looks better than Godfall to me.

Oct 30, 2017

I've never owned an Xbox console. And most likely never will, as I have a gaming PC.

But I do find the constant pile on around these parts exhausting.

See, you are missing the point he made. He was implying that because it is "Next Gen", the textures should have more detail and depth in them than current gen in the form of more parallax mapping, texelation or the like. Hence why he was stating in disappointment it is just a texture.

Lego

Nov 14, 2017
I feel a little bad for the people at 343 who put a lot of work into this game. I'm not sure what the problem is because Halo 4 was very impressive visually and 5 looked and ran incredibly well on a base Xbox One which is terribly underpowered.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Here's the full quote, lightly edited to remove "likes" and "hmmms" and stuff:

As for why he's highlighting that? Because those are terrain textures that look flat, with not depth to it, even though they're supposed to have rocks, grass, twigs, stuff. You know, the kind of stuff that asks for a displacement map, or more advanced tessellation. Not just a flat pane with a texture that looks just like a texture on a flat pane.
It's dirt.
Like what in heaven's name looks bad about this?

mpn4R8p.png

It actually does not look as flat as he suggests. It's a bizarre complaint. Maybe he still has that UE5 demo in his brain and thinks all next-gen games are going to have infinite polygonal detail. Speaking of, it seems he does not know this is a crossgen game.

Ogni-XR21

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
I appreciate that a thread was made about this, I really like his videos. I found his videos about the Cerny talk and UE5 reveal to be very informative. Maybe not as detailed in his analysis as DF, but more enjoyable.

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
I guess I'm in the complete minority here? When the demo first started my initial thought was "wow this looks beautiful". And even after watching it 15+ times, I still share that sentiment.

Yes there are a few technical problems that will hopefully be solved, the pop in and low res textures for example, but the world looks great and of course, the game looks fun. I couldn't care less what a brutes face under their helmet that appears in my gameplay for around two frames looks like.

What's interesting to me is that I've seen this same reaction/sentiment on numerous reaction videos on youtube. Where as hard as it may be to believe, people thought the game looked good to great.

I fully expect the game to look better at release, but even if all they fixed was the pop in, I'd still think the game looks good.

Status
Not open for further replies.