• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dimple

Jan 10, 2018

Cherno takes a look at the Halo Infinite gameplay trailer (not the full demo) and shares his thoughts.

He's not impressed at all.

brokenswiftie

Prophet of Truth
Banned
May 30, 2018
First 10 seconds and he is already wrong

The games running on a PC

edit:
image0.png

edit2:
OOF he was unimpressed is an understatement
He didn't like it at all
He thought it looking like a good current gen game and that was generous

Last edited:

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018
I don't think it's his fault that he thinks the game is running on Xbox, that's what the assumption was before that event.

Toumari

Oct 27, 2017
England
Well that was a brutal watch.

Seems he was trying to look for RT in the game, but not his fault he's not aware that it's a patch after the game releases.

Bakura

Oct 26, 2017
" I think it looks fairly average for a current gen game "
" in fact that is being generous "

3ad039f9eece51a4f3383f404d7c9e4a.gif

Last edited:

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
He corrects himself in the comments. He doesn't do research before watching a video so it's a raw reaction. I think most people assumed that it was on Xbox before finding out that it wasn't.
Its a bit weird that we havent seen a single next gen or cross gen game running on xsx 4 months from launch. Only few backward compatible games.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
I do agree that visually I kinda expected more from Halo.

As a sidenote: Some of the comments there being like "atleast he is honest unlike DF" made me cringe though. But that's on me for reading YT comments.

Kiekura

Mar 23, 2018
Well he is right. It looks like current gen game and even that is generous.

I see many people saying "But it is full 4K and 60 FPS open world!"

So what? It is running on 12 tflop machine. Any current gen openworld game has better graphics and they could also run 60 FPS on Series X.

Gears 5 isn't full open world, but it is already running almost 4K and 60 FPS and it looks miles better than HI.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
Well he has nothing to add which is very very disappointing

Sad face 343

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
So what? It is running on 12 tflop machine. Any current gen openworld game has better graphics and they could also run 60 FPS on Series X.
From what we know it's running in a PC. Not even the XSX. Don't know what the implications are other than it might look better on the XSX

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Yup, I think we all agree it looks average for a current gen game.

Does he mention 60FPS though, I'm sure i remember he has mentioned how difficult it is to have a game running at a 16ms 60 FPS clip before. Wonder if he touches on that here.

I'm currently at work so can't watch.

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018
And this trailer was all of the cherry picked parts by whoever put the trailer together. I want him to examine the gameplay demo now.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
If Cherno doesn't like it then that's a major concern for Halo infinite...

P.s who's Cherno?

A game engine dev that worked at EA (on the Frostbite team IIRC) that sometimes reacts to trailers, especially currently due to next gen coming up and him being curious.

He is no one you have to know, but I thought I would answer your question :p

•79•

Banned
Sep 22, 2018
South West London, UK
I can't watch while at work but is he still going in blind with these videos? If so he really ought to give them watch beforehand. With that Ratchet video he missed loads details.

Zok310

Oct 25, 2017
The look on his face at the end, its like someone stepped in shit.
Had no idea the demo was running off a pc.

Sutton Dagger

Oct 27, 2017
A game engine dev that worked at EA (on the Frostbite team IIRC) that sometimes reacts to trailers, especially currently due to next gen coming up and him being curious.

He is no one you have to know, but I thought I would answer your question :p

Thanks for the info, I've never heard of him before.

Paz

Nov 1, 2017
Brisbane, Australia
Should just update the thread title to say "game engine dev" instead of Cherno or this will be a very predictable thread.

Also, that was the most ruthless reaction I've seen. Damn.

Horp

Nov 16, 2017
" I think it looks fairly average for a current gen game "
" in fact that is being generous "

3ad039f9eece51a4f3383f404d7c9e4a.gif
It DOES -LOOK- fairly average for a current gen game.
Add 4k (albiet with VRS so not full native) and 60 fps and it's out of reach of current games. But his style of analysis with freeze framing and looking at the actual technologies applied, it DOES look average for a current gen game. Not even remotely close to the best looking out there.
And the jump from current to next gen shouldn't be about taking an average current gen game and doubling the framerate.

Oct 25, 2017
User warned: Thread whining
Why is it we have a Cherno thread for every reaction? I know he's worked on an engine for EA but does that mean he's somehow an industry expert on graphics rendering? I'm not so sure. He's not some Tim Sweeney or John Carmack.

BigTnaples

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah I'm dissapointed as hell..

Especially when looking back at the first 2018 Slipspace Engine Trailer.

Here's to hoping they make huge strides.

calibos

Dec 13, 2017
User banned (1 day): Platform wars
So whats the point of this?

A C++ programmer and Playstation fan slamming one of MS's crossgen titles? Another thread to provide a dumping ground for non constructive criticism and drive by shitting.

I am not saying he is wrong, but people just love to beat something into the ground here.

Corralx

Aug 23, 2018
London, UK
Why is it we have a Cherno thread for every reaction? I know he's worked on an engine for EA but does that mean he's somehow an industry expert on graphics rendering? I'm not so sure. He's not some Tim Sweeney or John Carmack.

He's not really.
He's worked for a few years on mobile games for EA and then spent a short time as a junior on the Frostbite tech, but that's about it.
Multiple of his videos show a fairly basic (and often wrong) understanding of graphics in fact.
But you cannot say something like that in here, like with DF.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
First 10 seconds and he is already wrong

The games running on a PC

edit:
image0.png

edit2:
OOF he was unimpressed is an understatement
He didn't like it at all
He thought it looking like a good current gen game and that was generous

An uninformed reactionary YouTuber? Well I'll be damned, these reaction videos on the platform are usually thoroughly researched and totally not looking to ride the wave of clickbait reactions. /s

GreyHand23

Apr 10, 2018
He's not really.
He's worked for a few years on mobile games for EA and then spent a short time as a junior on the Frostbite tech, but that's about it.
Multiple of his videos show a fairly basic (and often wrong) understanding of graphics in fact.
But you cannot say something like that in here, like with DF.

He knows alot more than you and to be able to correctly determine exactly what's going on in realtime just based on a trailer is difficult.

Status
Not open for further replies.