• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

lazygecko

Oct 25, 2017
At least, that's how they work in the Die Hard 2 and 3 segments. I don't think I've ever really played or watched emulated versions of Die Hard Trilogy on a clear display and video signal. Figures they did a pretty good job covering this up during fast paced action on a CRT with composite or whatever. Now I've caught a glimpse of what they really look like and it's just hilarious up close in motion. I guess this also explains how they could fit so many characters on the screen while still having good performance relatively good looking 3D environments for an early gen PS1 game.

51981-die_hard_trilogaskc8.png

piM30vT.png

The technology powering the game just seems kind of fascinating to me in general with the in retrospect more unorthodox methods they employed, especially the Die Hard 1 segment with how it handles rendering the environments in a very grid-like way.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
those screenshots look like some kind of parody

and teh arms of the hostages in the video. good lord

Doggg

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Nov 17, 2017
Looks good enough in motion. Those screenshots are pretty funny, though.

modoversus

Oct 25, 2017
MĂ©xico
Had no idea about this, love to learn stuff like that. I tought that maybe they went for sprites if the lead version was the Saturn, but the PS version was actually the lead.

NDA-Man

Mar 23, 2020
God. The games are probably fucking horrendous, but this is a trip down memory lane for me.

NDA-Man

Mar 23, 2020
It's actually one of the most underrated PS1 games. It's really, really good.

I loved it when I was a kid (and I really am bummed I never got to play Trilogy 2, as dumb as that sounded), the post level exploding terrorist score system, the crappy VA impersonators, the dumb cheat codes (it had a Fergus mode, right)? But... my patience for stuff that gen is... not always the highest. There's a lot of stuff I loved as a kid that I don't think holds up (like... classic RE and Tomb Raider). I imagine it'd be a lot less charming for me to play nowadays.

Like I impulse-bought MGS1 when it came out on GoG as soon as I heard... and part of me is worried that I might actually not enjoy a playthrough of what I'd call my favorite game every after not having been able to play it for years.

Veldin

Oct 25, 2017
I noticed this as a kid but I appreciate even more now how clever the developers were in making this game.

One of the best titles on the PS1 and crazy ambitious for what could've been a pretty basic movie tie-in with derivative game design.

Aug 30, 2020
The shooter game looked so amazing for the time, they stretched it just that much further by not having fully polygonal characters.

But the true MVP is the music of that first level of the shooter.

darz1

Dec 18, 2017
I loved this game. I even had the light gun and everything. It wasn't just 3 games, it was 3 incredibly fun games

MrBS

Oct 27, 2017
I played the demo of this countless times, never tried the full game. Five seconds of that video and the canned sound effects, man I want to play this right now!