• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
I don't really understand Instagram. Low-res, low-quality, heavily processed, throwaway snap shots that don't represent reality in any way most of the time. All just so people will scroll over it and maybe stop to take a look for all of one or two seconds and perhaps press the like button.

You can find good work. Most often i think the best stuff you find is kind of like the sort of photos people take just because they liked taking it, rather than going for hearts. I follow a handful of people who have a small list of followers but whose work is consistently super good. That's the kind of people you can have a nice, even if small, impact.

I mean, like any other social media platform, you gotta find the people who use it well and who benefit from the connection.

Deleted member 1635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You can find good work. Most often i think the best stuff you find is kind of like the sort of photos people take just because they liked taking it, rather than going for hearts. I follow a handful of people who have a small list of followers but whose work is consistently super good. That's the kind of people you can have a nice, even if small, impact.

I mean, like any other social media platform, you gotta find the people who use it well and who benefit from the connection.

Yeah, I think my main hang up with the platform is the low quality of the photos when the whole thing is about photo sharing. The resolution is just too low even for more modern phones. It's not built for admiring photographs, but for just scrolling along through your stream and quickly viewing each photo without any kind of scrutiny before moving onto the next.

Obviously it's a hugely popular platform, so my opinion on the matter doesn't mean a damn thing, though.

Rowlf

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Claiming without backing up anything while accusing people are paid shills is pretty much borderline racism.

And that happened in a recent Huawei thread.
Euler.L.
Huawei being a Chinese company does not automatically convert accusations of shilling for them into racism. If you feel that there was a post or a series of posts containing "borderline racism," then report them as such and we will review. Otherwise, please refrain from making accusations of racism towards other members.

Darkstar0155

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I think my main hang up with the platform is the low quality of the photos when the whole thing is about photo sharing. The resolution is just too low even for more modern phones. It's not built for admiring photographs, but for just scrolling along through your stream and quickly viewing each photo without any kind of scrutiny before moving onto the next.

Obviously it's a hugely popular platform, so my opinion on the matter doesn't mean a damn thing, though.
Man do I agree with this. I can't stand the compression on IG. I understand it's place but I'll take what to me is a shot I'm really happy with super crisp and sharp go to put it on IG and.... detail and crispness are gone and I'm just like ugh. Flickr is still the best to view really amazing high quality pics.

OP
OP
signal

signal

Oct 28, 2017
https://www.androidauthority.com/huawei-p30-pro-vs-pixel-3-xl-low-light-camera-comparison-972228/

I shot the images below in my dark kitchen. There was a little light in the room from the window and the LEDs on the appliances, but not enough for my eyes to discern anything more than vague shapes. The Pixel image is completely black; meanwhile the P30 Pro delivers a useable image, even with the purple tint.

Every time I took a photo in the dark, the Pixel 3 XL begged to switch to Night Sight – basically long exposure. With Night Sight on, the Pixel 3 XL comes closer to the P30 Pro, but the Huawei phone is still much better.
3uciGln.png

J2P11B2.png

Here are a couple more examples of low-light images, shot in default mode.

Oct 2, 2018
Looking at the footage - it's starting to unsell me a little as some of the colour especially in video is off. Is this something they can fix with a firmware update? I kinda want one though. But the colour is :(

There's a new video on YouTube that shows how much better the s10 is at stablsation when running but then I thought "when was the last time I've run doing a video". Never.

Oct 2, 2018
I don't really understand Instagram. Low-res, low-quality, heavily processed, throwaway snap shots that don't represent reality in any way most of the time. All just so people will scroll over it and maybe stop to take a look for all of one or two seconds and perhaps press the like button.

Accessibility and audience. A lot of people just snap day to day stuff. Selfies, food etc

What you're after is something else. Instagram is plenty fine what it is. A media consumption platform

hitme

Oct 26, 2017
This bodes well for the PIxel 4. Hopefully Google steps it up in the hardware department as most are speculating.

impiri

Oct 25, 2017
Haven't followed Android in a while... is this capable of taking the equivalent of iOS Live Photos? That feature has me locked into Apple's ecosystem

Deleted member 8860

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Haven't followed Android in a while... is this capable of taking the equivalent of iOS Live Photos? That feature has me locked into Apple's ecosystem

A lot of Android devices do support something like live photos (as does Google Photos), but of the devices I've tried, none have really nailed it like Apple has. Not sure about the P30 Pro.

Oct 2, 2018

Man, the night video is SOOOOO bad. Its amazing how so many big youtube channels about this phone - all with paid trips, don't talk about this.

Oct 2, 2018
i don't think people are supposed to use this crop/magnification mode while doing video, everything seems to fall apart

another video here

outside of the zoom, when he moves the camera around in the video I posted, there's weird judders and the footage goes a bit fuzzy in the early parts of the video. I kind of want this phone but the lack of samples and the stuff I've seen online re: video especially at night doesn't inspire confidence. I'm surprised they let it out in this state.

there should be a judder at this timestamp.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
outside of the zoom, when he moves the camera around in the video I posted, there's weird judders and the footage goes a bit fuzzy in the early parts of the video. I kind of want this phone but the lack of samples and the stuff I've seen online re: video especially at night doesn't inspire confidence. I'm surprised they let it out in this state.

there should be a judder at this timestamp.

I see the judders and artifacting - I'm not 100% certain but they seem to only occur when doing the zoom mode.

DXOmark reviewed the camera and they gave it top marks for photography but said the video wasn't on par.

I'm just not certain how much to rate this footage unless we have something to compare to (S10 or iphoneX footage in the same scene)

Oct 2, 2018
I see the judders and artifacting - I'm not 100% certain but they seem to only occur when doing the zoom mode.

DXOmark reviewed the camera and they gave it top marks for photography but said the video wasn't on par.

I'm just not certain how much to rate this footage unless we have something to compare to (S10 or iphoneX footage in the same scene)

I didnt even notice it the first time but watching the video I posted, that big red bus seem to be moving in chugging motion when it passes by starting from the 1:08 timestamp.

ConanEd

Alt account
Banned
Dec 27, 2018
Looking at the footage - it's starting to unsell me a little as some of the colour especially in video is off. Is this something they can fix with a firmware update? I kinda want one though. But the colour is :(

There's a new video on YouTube that shows how much better the s10 is at stablsation when running but then I thought "when was the last time I've run doing a video". Never.

When you are trying to shoot your toddler runner, but you are better of using a gopro or that DJI tiny camera.