• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ravensmash

Oct 25, 2017
She is a British citizen, so we need to take responsibility for her. That means not removing her citizenship (which was a plainly racist thing to do so - what're the chances a white girl would have her citizenship removed?), bringing her back into the country, de-radicalising her if possible and putting her on trial for any crimes she may have committed. That is the responsibility of a modern society when wrongs have been committed against and by individuals.

This is such a complex issue that I'm not going to go through the morality of whether she's a victim or a perpetrator or both, and where her responsibility begins and ends, as that's for our justice system to decide. But the one immutable fact is that she holds British citizenship, and for that reason alone we should've brought her back. From there, any treatment and prosecution is another matter.

While I think everything about this story is a tragedy, the biggest one is the death of her baby. I don't know if we could've prevented his death, but it's like we didn't even try. What did he do wrong to die in a refugee camp?

Just to jump on this specific point, the revocation of citizenship isn't unprecedented and has been used in another similar case:

Jack Letts - Wikipedia

That's not to say it's necessarily right (ultimately, she was radicalised here - so questions need to be asked).

I would just say that if she comes back, then she'll obviously be subject to potential prosecution (which will look into the circumstances closely) and care needs to be taken to ensure that she's not a public safety risk.

Timmm

Oct 28, 2017
Manchester, UK
So the point I made about the thread being black and white before applies pretty damn well in this case. You're essentially trying to whitewash Shamima of any wrongdoing or accountability. The source is an anti-ISIS acitivist, can you elaborate on why exactly he'd be uhh... attacking Shamima's character? What exactly would he gain from that? He has been quoted by other papers in different countries. He is the co-founder of an org dedicated to opposing Assad, ISIS and seeks to empower the people of Syria...

Could you please tell me why his word is so easy for you to dismiss when you're talking about someone who had been indoctrinated/groomed into thinking in a certain way, someone who referred to people murdered by ISIS as "enemies of Islam" on footage you can still see to this day. Is it not very possible, considering even after the fall of ISIS, she was saying such things, that whilst she was actually in ISIS that'd she'd be along with the ideology?

Asking for credible sources is not whitewashing. And so far all we have is one activist, who is only being quoted by The Mail and The Telegraph (and apparently The Falter too - but with all due respect to them, they are hardly a major name internationally). This isn't enough to treat his statements as fact whatsoever.

So it isn't about whitewashing or removing accountability - it is about establishing what exactly she is guilty of. So far all we know definitively is that she left the UK at 15 after being recruited by people in the UK and online, after arriving in Syria she was very quickly assigned to a husband and has since had 3 children, all of which have unfortunately died. She has made some pretty concerning statements which suggest she is pretty desensatised to violence (the one about seeing decapitated heads in bins), and has both-sides'd the Manchester attacks and the rape of Yazidi women. Reputable publications have published the above, but they don't publish the further details that The Mail and The Telegraph publish - that in itself should be enough to render these allegations extremely suspicious, and they absolutely should not be treated as fact.

Oct 25, 2017
Exactly. And if they did, the public backlash, and the backlash on here, would be fucking wild. But instead, we have the lynch mob baying for blood.

Seems odd by comparison that Samantha Lewthwaite, who is described as one of the world's most wanted terrorist suspects appears to remain a British citizen after all this time.

I suppose the argument can be made that Shamima Begum is potentially entitled to Bangladeshi citizenship, but we seem to have an odd approach in the UK to whom has their citizenship removed and who gets to keep it.

Menchi

Oct 28, 2017
UK
Asking for credible sources is not whitewashing. And so far all we have is one activist, who is only being quoted by The Mail and The Telegraph (and apparently The Falter too - but with all due respect to them, they are hardly a major name internationally). This isn't enough to treat his statements as fact whatsoever.

So it isn't about whitewashing or removing accountability - it is about establishing what exactly she is guilty of. So far all we know definitively is that she left the UK at 15 after being recruited by people in the UK and online, after arriving in Syria she was very quickly assigned to a husband and has since had 3 children, all of which have unfortunately died. She has made some pretty concerning statements which suggest she is pretty desensatised to violence (the one about seeing decapitated heads in bins), and has both-sides'd the Manchester attacks and the rape of Yazidi women. Reputable publications have published the above, but they don't publish the further details that The Mail and The Telegraph publish - that in itself should be enough to render these allegations extremely suspicious, and they absolutely should not be treated as fact.

Fair enough. I did say alleged actions, however, I do believe them to be true, based on pretty much the idea that indoctrination/grooming and de-sensitivity to violence, and believing non-ISIS members to be enemies of Islam would support that such a person would have no qualms with supporting that ideology.

It's perfectly acceptable to question the sources, however, I feel it is massively disingenuous to outright dismiss the claims and excise them from the conversation when you're discussing the nature of someone who is being judged on whether she is -only- a victim. Further, implicating against a persons character because they believe in those allegations, based on the circumstances isn't exactly conducive to a fair conversation.

Given the nature of Shamima's situation, it is unlikely we'll ever have -facts- about what happened, given it was in the middle of active warzone where no form of journalism was allowed, so only those people on the ground, of which the source used was one of, would ever be able to give any form of information about.

Again, I'm not saying anyone should take the source as gold, but questioning peoples character for believing it isn't really right, at all.

I'll reiterate, I believe in the source, as I've went through various forms of his social media, his own groups website, seen him quoted by 6 different papers (Mail, Telegraph, Kuwait Times, The Falter, DigitalJournal, Gulfnews) has a legitimate organisation, lived under ISIS rule in Raqa before escaping to Germany... I just don't see what exactly would be his purpose in making false statements about Shamima.

Last edited:

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
Just to jump on this specific point, the revocation of citizenship isn't unprecedented and has been used in another similar case:

Jack Letts - Wikipedia

That's not to say it's necessarily right (ultimately, she was radicalised here - so questions need to be asked).

I would just say that if she comes back, then she'll obviously be subject to potential prosecution (which will look into the circumstances closely) and care needs to be taken to ensure that she's not a public safety risk.
That case isn't really the same, since that person was dual nationality. Rendering someone stateless is not the same as revoking citizenship as being stateless means you have no legal right to live anywhere, work anywhere or function as a member of society. Any country you reside you can remove you at will for any reason. That's why the UN spends so much effort combating statelessness.

Oct 27, 2017
They sure as hell wouldn't remove a white girl's citizenship.

They removed a white boy's though.

www.bbc.co.uk

Jihadi Jack: IS recruit Jack Letts loses UK citizenship

The UK is accused of "off-loading" its responsibilities for the move against the man dubbed Jihadi Jack.

The government shouldn't have the power to remove anyone's citizenship, full stop. Too much of a slippery slope, and you know it's something the Tories would love to abuse at any opportunity.

Doukou

Oct 25, 2017
So the point I made about the thread being black and white before applies pretty damn well in this case. You're essentially trying to whitewash Shamima of any wrongdoing or accountability. The source is an anti-ISIS acitivist, can you elaborate on why exactly he'd be uhh... attacking Shamima's character? What exactly would he gain from that? He has been quoted by other papers in different countries. He is the co-founder of an org dedicated to opposing Assad, ISIS and seeks to empower the people of Syria...

Could you please tell me why his word is so easy for you to dismiss when you're talking about someone who had been indoctrinated/groomed into thinking in a certain way, someone who referred to people murdered by ISIS as "enemies of Islam" on footage you can still see to this day. Is it not very possible, considering even after the fall of ISIS, she was saying such things, that whilst she was actually in ISIS that'd she'd be along with the ideology?
No idea if this is what Timmm is saying, but in all likelyhood this evidence wouldn't be admissible in court or atleast as it without further clarification/research. So to act like it should be part of the punishment debate is a bit weird since UK society as a whole has decided to follow a high standard burden of proof in order to deal out punishments, which is what this thread is specifically about punishments.

Deleted member 3196

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Jack Letts - Wikipedia

The situation with Letts is a little different, as he holds Canadian citizenship. Begum holds no other citizenship, despite the claim by the UK government that she could go to Bangladesh.

That said it was still an appalling way to deal with the situation. Letts was a British citizen, radicalised here. We shouldn't be telling Canada it's their problem and washing our hands of any responsibility.

Dec 31, 2017
This is a messy situation but one thing is clear, she needs to face justice int he UK as a UK citizen. Revoking citizenship and attempting to deport her to her parents homeland makes absolutely no sense. I can 100% see a 15 year old being manipulated in this way; many are extremely naive and dumb. However she did commit egregious acts as an adult as well. But she needs a proper trial and all the facts need to come out.

The urge for people to become tribalistic in these admittedly emotionally taxing cases is extremely troubling though. So many people jumping to execution and mob justice.

Menchi

Oct 28, 2017
UK
No idea if this is what Timmm is saying, but in all likelyhood this evidence wouldn't be admissible in court or atleast as it without further clarification/research. So to act like it should be part of the punishment debate is a bit weird since UK society as a whole has decided to follow a high standard burden of proof in order to deal out punishments, which is what this thread is specifically about punishments.

Very little of any of this discussion would have relevance in court though, so I'm not sure that's really important in this thread? I mean, we're literally discussing her in the court of public opinion, not recommendations for her trial.

However, I would argue that in actuality, if so desired, he could be called as a witness by the prosecution if he believed his statements to be correct and was prepared to testify. Though I imagine that's unlikely to ever happen.

FuzzyWuzzy

Prophet of Truth
Apr 7, 2019
Austria
To be fair searching for the activist's name it seems he gets quoted quite a bit by a variety of newspapers, I would not dismiss his claims so easily, they seem like rather serious accusations.

As for Shamima, she should face charges in the UK, stripping someone of their citizenship is not something that should just happen like this. Leaving a person stateless is a cruel thing

Timmm

Oct 28, 2017
Manchester, UK
Fair enough. I did say alleged actions, however, I do believe them to be true, based on pretty much the idea that indoctrination/grooming and de-sensitivity to violence, and believing non-ISIS members to be enemies of Islam would support that such a person would have no qualms with supporting that ideology.

It's perfectly acceptable to question the sources, however, I feel it is massively disingenuous to outright dismiss the claims and excise them from the conversation when you're discussing the nature of someone who is being judged on whether she is -only- a victim. Further, implicating against a persons character because they believe in those allegations, based on the circumstances isn't exactly conducive to a fair conversation.

Given the nature of Shamima's situation, it is unlikely we'll ever have -facts- about what happened, given it was in the middle of active warzone where no form of journalism was allowed, so only those people on the ground, of which the source used was one of, would ever be able to give any form of information about.

Again, I'm not saying anyone should take the source as gold, but questioning peoples character for believing it isn't really right, at all.

But the suspect allegations are the most important ones to justify her being put in prison for life - her being desensatised to violence when living in an active warzone, and also both sidesing (but not dismissing) are pretty flimsy by themselves. But when people (not just you) have positions that she should be getting life in prison, they have to treat the much more dubious allegations as fact.

Additionally, the logic that because the lesser accusaions probably happened the more serious ones did too is wrong - and this isn't how a fair judicial system would treat them. And yes, Begum's situation is not one conducive to providing a lot of credible evidence, but that doesn't then mean we treat the word of one activist as fact - we can only go off what truth can be established, and if that isnt there it doesn't mean lowering standards until we find something either

And yes, people are so willing to quickly believe these reports, despite their credibility being questioned massively, speaks to their existing prejudices

tadaima

Oct 30, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
After reading the timeline but without having a full understanding of the circumstances, it does seem odd that the UK should be able to strip somebody of citizenship in such a way. If this woman is believed to be accountable for criminal acts, then she should be tried for them as a British citizen and in a British court. Unless it is already law (which it seems as if it may not be, or at least may be fuzzy), then being able to revoke a person's citizenship in this manner sets a dangerous precedent for future cases. All it takes is for it to happen once, and then it can happen again, and then the goalposts can be moved.

Doukou

Oct 25, 2017
Very little of any of this discussion would have relevance in court though, so I'm not sure that's really important in this thread? I mean, we're literally discussing her in the court of public opinion, not recommendations for her trial.

However, I would argue that in actuality, if so desired, he could be called as a witness by the prosecution if he believed his statements to be correct and was prepared to testify. Though I imagine that's unlikely to ever happen.
They wouldn't be called as a witness. They didn't exactly witness anything. Maybe as an expert witness but that's a stretch.

The point is less about simulating a court room but pointing out that someone should not be locked for life on such evidence.

Deleted member 4353

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've been keeping an eye on this story ever since I first heard of it back in 2015. I left the UK around the time it happened. The whole thing is just heartbreaking considering out of the 3, she's the only one that's still alive.

I definitely think she shouldn't have been stripped of her citizenship as it sets a terrible precedent. A country shouldn't be able to strip you of your citizenship if you were born in it. I get a whole she's of Bangladeshi origins so she's not really British or something vibe from that.

She should be allowed back to be given a second chance, maybe face some charges and be rehabilitated.

Man fuck isis. They ruined so many lives.

Oct 27, 2017
There's an awful lot of islamaphobia on show around this topic. It's not a million miles away fom the anti-irish bigotry on show in the UK during the troubles 70-80s, every Irish person supported the IRA. It's understandable to a degree, but still ignorant and leads to catastrophic miscarriages of justice.

Anyone calling for a life sentence for this woman needs to check their own head out. Something is wrong there. My own view she need to be tried as a minor for join ISIS, obv any indoctrination etc take into account and probably something like a suspended sentence with a rider of some sort of de-radicalisation therapy.

The other allegations come with the territory IMO, like any cult/paramilitary giving material support etc, its impossible to pull apart what part was voluntary or not. She knew they were vicious bastards at that point.

I think was rubs people the wrong way with her is she doesn't sound particularly sorry. That could effect her sentence in some way, but she needs to be give a chance to start over and come to that conclusion herself.

Menchi

Oct 28, 2017
UK
But the suspect allegations are the most important ones to justify her being put in prison for life - her being desensatised to violence when living in an active warzone, and also both sidesing (but not dismissing) are pretty flimsy by themselves. But when people (not just you) have positions that she should be getting life in prison, they have to treat the much more dubious allegations as fact.

Additionally, the logic that because the lesser accusaions probably happened the more serious ones did too is wrong - and this isn't how a fair judicial system would treat them. And yes, Begum's situation is not one conducive to providing a lot of credible evidence, but that doesn't then mean we treat the word of one activist as fact - we can only go off what truth can be established, and if that isnt there it doesn't mean lowering standards until we find something either

And yes, people are so willing to quickly believe these reports, despite their credibility being questioned massively, speaks to their existing prejudices

Not once have I entertained the notion of her being imprisoned for life, and have disagreed with anyone pushing that view point. I understand you're not solely aiming at me, but it's not really relevant when we're talking about the court of public opinion either. We're not in court, so things that can be used as evidence in a discussion, if they are to some reasonable extent useable, shouldn't be dismissed because they don't agree with your view.

Well... Not to be blunt about it, but patterns of behaviour are often used in dealing with sexual assault cases. We often infer whether someone -may- have done something based on lesser crimes. It doesn't prove anything, but it certainly lends credence to the idea that it may have happened so makes it worthy of further investigation.

I'd like to point out in my original post in this thread, that I actually suggested that she be put on trial, and believed life imprisonment wasn't the answer. I do believe she should undergo deradicalisation (of which there is undeniable evidence that she is deeply radicalised), mental health support and possible confinement until she is deemed fit to return to society. So I'm not exactly sure why we're even discussing life imprisonment, as I don't actually think anyone in -this- thread has called for it, and the previous thread has already been pointed out by myself, and many others, as a shit show.

My point about white washing is that in the previous thread, posters and in this thread, seemingly you, have refused to actually even state that she has done anything wrong. Do you believe she has? Or is she solely a victim?

The goal posts have moved with the source issue. Initially, it was just "Torygraph and Mail reported it so it's bull" then when I actually supplied the information about the quoted source, it's now that he is just a single activist, that's only been quoted by them, so it's still probably bull. I've went and browsed his social media, he's been quoted by at least 4 other papers other than Mail and Telegraph, has an organisation showing work in Syria, legitimate website, and he actually lived in Raqqa and escaped during IS rule... Given the nature of the situation, that's about as best a source as you will get... I still haven't had any real answer as to -why- he'd choose to make up false statements about Shamima? It's based on that information, alongside her own interviews, statements and the circumstances she was in. If you think that is "existing prejudice" then you do you, it isn't any skin of my back, but it'll certainly make me less inclined to view you seriously.

They wouldn't be called as a witness. They didn't exactly witness anything. Maybe as an expert witness but that's a stretch.

The point is less about simulating a court room but pointing out that someone should not be locked for life on such evidence.

He claimed she was well known in Raqqa, a place he lived in during the period she would have been there as a member of ISIS. It is possible he witnessed things himself or was aware of her personally. So yes, he could actually be called as witness in that sense.

And again, I'm not even sure why life imprisonment is even being bandied around in this thread... I've not seen a -SINGLE- poster advocate for that in this thread, in fact, the vast majority seem to be pretty much of the thought that she was a victim that remains accountable.

Most of the dicussion seems to be centering on what she should be held accountable for, and whether there is anything to actually be prosecuted for.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2017
I definitely think she shouldn't have been stripped of her citizenship as it sets a terrible precedent. A country shouldn't be able to strip you of your citizenship if you were born in it. I get a whole she's of Bangladeshi origins so she's not really British or something vibe from that.
The argument isn't so much that she 'isn't really British', it's that the UK does have legal framework to remove citizenship and we do need to have a wider discussion about whether that's acceptable or not (it isn't, in my opinion) but the UK has also ratified treaties stating that we cannot and will not render people stateless.

The fact she is theoretically eligible for Bangladeshi citizenship was just used as an excuse as to why she wasn't stateless.

Timmm

Oct 28, 2017
Manchester, UK
Not once have I entertained the notion of her being imprisoned for life, and have disagreed with anyone pushing that view point. I understand you're not solely aiming at me, but it's not really relevant when we're talking about the court of public opinion either. We're not in court, so things that can be used as evidence in a discussion, if they are to some reasonable extent useable, shouldn't be dismissed because they don't agree with your view.

The "court of public opinion" should go off more than just heresay and speculation on matters as serious as this. And there were plenty of people in the previous thread (which this one is a clear continuation of) who have been arguing for that. This thread exists because the previous thread was locked, so obviously discussion cannot continue there.

Well... Not to be blunt about it, but patterns of behaviour are often used in dealing with sexual assault cases. We often infer whether someone -may- have done something based on lesser crimes. It doesn't prove anything, but it certainly lends credence to the idea that it may have happened so makes it worthy of further investigation.

Further investigation is fine. I think if (hopefully when) she gets to the UK, she should absolutely be assessed immediately and then we move on from there. We just have no idea if she poses a danger to wider society - the potential is clearly there given that she is a member of ISIS, but it just isnt true to suggest that because she is a member then it follows that she was involved in radicalising others or preparing suicide bombers.

I'd like to point out in my original post in this thread, that I actually suggested that she be put on trial, and believed life imprisonment wasn't the answer. I do believe she should undergo deradicalisation (of which there is undeniable evidence that she is deeply radicalised), mental health support and possible confinement until she is deemed fit to return to society. So I'm not exactly sure why we're even discussing life imprisonment, as I don't actually think anyone in -this- thread has called for it, and the previous thread has already been pointed out by myself, and many others, as a shit show.

My point about white washing is that in the previous thread, posters and in this thread, seemingly you, have refused to actually even state that she has done anything wrong. Do you believe she has? Or is she solely a victim?

I have no idea. There is certainly a chance she could have done it, but until there is better proof it shouldn't be treated as fact that she did. At the moment it is speculation that only The Mail and The Telegraph (of major news sources) have been willing to publish, and these are newspapers with a long history of Islamophobia and extremely low journalistic standards in general (in fact, isnt The Mail a banned source on this forum?)

The goal posts have moved with the source issue. Initially, it was just "Torygraph and Mail reported it so it's bull" then when I actually supplied the information about the quoted source, it's now that he is just a single activist, that's only been quoted by them, so it's still probably bull. I've went and browsed his social media, he's been quoted by at least 4 other papers other than Mail and Telegraph, has an organisation showing work in Syria, legitimate website, and he actually lived in Raqqa and escaped during IS rule... Given the nature of the situation, that's about as best a source as you will get... I still haven't had any real answer as to -why- he'd choose to make up false statements about Shamima? It's based on that information, alongside her own interviews, statements and the circumstances she was in. If you think that is "existing prejudice" then you do you, it isn't any skin of my back, but it'll certainly make me less inclined to view you seriously.

The goalposts are the same. Until someone more credible than the Mail or the Telegraph are prepared to report these claims then they should be treated as suspicious at best. This is an important current event in the UK and if these were verifiable acts then other outlets like the Guardian or the BBC would have reported them too. As I said in a previous post it is telling that they are willing to report on things like her seeing heads in bins or both sidesing the Manchester attacks (speficially, saying it is wrong that civilians were targeted/killed, but that it is also bad when it happens in Syria and no one gives a shit - a position which I don't think is unfair), but stop when it gets to the claims of recruiting other people or preparing suicide vests.

Oct 25, 2017
Is there any case similar to this but the person in question is white?

Samantha Lewthwaite was 17 when she converted to Islam. She married one of the 7/7 bombers when she was 18. She fights for ISIS and remains a British citizen to my understanding.

Sally Anne Jones would have been in her 30s or 40s when she joined ISIS. She was believed to have been killed in an American drone strike in 2017, but reports appear to be unclear on this. She is understood to have died since then. She would have been a British citizen at the time to my understanding.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
Samantha Lewthwaite was 17 when she converted to Islam. She married one of the 7/7 bombers when she was 18. She fights for ISIS and remains a British citizen to my understanding.

I think the thing with the white widow is that she's so dangerous that the priority is actually getting hold of her full stop, last i heard the secret services were hunting for her, but perhaps she's dead by now.

DIE BART DIE

Oct 25, 2017
The revocation of Begum's citizenship was nothing but pure theatre designed to appease the public.

She deserves a trial, and her citizenship should never have been revoked.

Whilst I fully believe she is a victim of grooming/sexual abuse, I also don't believe that absolves her of her actions in supporting a genocidal death cult. It isn't in the OP, but there are enough of her own statements that can give legitimacy to the idea that she still harbours support for ISIS, and referred to those murdered by ISIS as "enemies of Islam" - It suggests a massive level of radicalisation remains, even more so when informed of the Manchester bombings, she "whatabout'ed"

Further, there have been reports over the years that she wasn't just a house wife, but actually took part in enforcement of ISIS ideologies, and stitched fighters into suicide vests, that couldn't be removed without exploding.

When she had her citizenship unfairly revoked, she was abandoned by the UK Gov and so was her child, who sadly died, so in essence was killed by the UK Gov. this is unforgivable. She remains the responsibility of the UK, and deserves to go on trial for her crimes, with whatever mitigating circumstances there are.

My problem specifically with the last thread, was there was an almost black and white approach taken with no nuance whatsoever in an extremely complex case that has many factors.

I believe you can 100% believe she is a victim of grooming/indoctrination and sexual abuse, whilst also acknowledging that her statements and alleged actions are abhorrent, and that said abuse does not absolve her of those actions.

I'm unlikely to believe said punishment for those actions, given the mitigating factors, should result in life imprisonment, rather a program of deradicalisation, mental health support, and confinement until it is deemed safe for her to return to society. How long that would take is up to the mental health professionals who treat her. I suspect given the death of her child, which she'd be 100% correct to blame on the UK Gov, could contribute to lengthening this, as would the reaction of the UK to her in general.

She is further a victim of media destruction, no doubt owing to her young age and gender, being an easy target for right wing media in playing her as the ideal "jihadi bride" who willingly gave an interview which in essence indicted herself further. It is shown in them failing to show the same level of condemnation for ISIS members (often men, sometimes white) who returned, and received prison time with little fanfare.

It is a terribly sad case, but as stated, I simply can't agree that she is absolved of everything given her being a victim

Good post.

As a society, we should be tackling the root cause of the grooming of our young people.

Oct 25, 2017
I think the thing with the white widow is that she's so dangerous that the priority is actually getting hold of her full stop, last i heard the secret services were hunting for her, but perhaps she's dead by now.

That's a fair point but it seems to indicate that we pick and choose who gets to keep their citizenship or not regardless of the degree of their crimes or their culpability. It would seem that we only withdraw citizenship from British women who join ISIS if it is apparent that they want to return to this country. That seems like a weird approach to follow in all honesty.

It also fails to disprove the argument that we only withdraw citizenship from brown British women, and not white British women. I would argue that if a white British girl of 15 was demonstrably groomed, joined a terrorist group and taken to another country we'd very likely have a different version of this story playing out in the press.

Doukou

Oct 25, 2017
He claimed she was well known in Raqqa, a place he lived in during the period she would have been there as a member of ISIS. It is possible he witnessed things himself or was aware of her personally. So yes, he could actually be called as witness in that sense.
I feel like this kind of points to the issue though. You had to make a leap of something the journalist never said in order to justify them as being a witness. Likewise we don't know how the journalist got the info, who provided it(did they have a relationship with her), whether she was under duress etc.
There can exist a scenario where the journalist isn't lying but at the same time she didn't do those things. We shouldn't be using this as a talking point about whether she deserves imprisonment or rehabilitation since we really know nothing about the source.

Not to mention I decided to read the actual interview
Here is what you said
"Further, there have been reports over the years that she wasn't just a house wife, but actually took part in enforcement of ISIS ideologies, and stitched fighters into suicide vests, that couldn't be removed without exploding."

Here is what the telegraph quotes from the journalist you are describing(not their paraphrasing)
"There were lots of young European women in the Hisba," Aghiad al-Kheder, an activist from Deir Ezzor who founded Sound and Picture, told the Telegraph. "Some of them were very harsh and the local population became very scared."

"Members of our group from Raqqa knew her well," said Mr Kheder. "If you get the chance to interview her again you can ask her about an incident that happened in al-Amassi Street in Raqqa in 2016, when she was with the Hisba.

"She shouted at a civilian woman wearing brightly coloured shoes and told her that was 'haram', or not permissible, as this would attract the attention of men. The woman said to her, 'so why is it ok for you to wear coloured shoes?' Shamima was herself wearing white and pink trainers.

"She will remember this," he said.
"
While still an awful thing of course we don't really have any concrete quotes from him directly about what she actually did besides that one incident.
Sorry about life imprisonment that was incorrect on my part.

CDX

Oct 25, 2017
If I remember correctly around the time in 2015 a US teenager from Mississippi also tried to do a similar thing. She was caught before she managed to leave. In 2016 she was sentenced to 12 years of prison, followed by 15 years of supervised release.

Stripping a UK citizen of their citizenship makes it seem like the UK Government took the easy way out, and they didn't want to deal with thier own citizen with their own legal system. So I say, Shamima Begum should have to face the full extent UK law in the UK for her actions.

Rackham

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like people saying that she was groomed aren't bringing up the fact that in other grooming cases, the groomed dont leave their home to help get their country's soldiers killed.

Age doesn't really help you that much when you're helping to hurt people.

Doukou

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like people saying that she was groomed aren't bringing up the fact that in other grooming cases, the groomed dont leave their home to help get their country's soldiers killed.

Child Soldiers International would disagree(well if they were still operational)
As well as Free Children from War
www.unicef.org

Paris Conference "Free Children from War"

NEW YORK, 6 February 2007 - Countries from every region, international organizations and NGOs will discuss comprehensive strategies...
"They will set out the steps that can be taken to help stop recruitment from happening and support the demobilization of those children recruited and their reintegration back into their communities."

Maledict

Oct 25, 2017

I'm not sure you understand what grooming means?

And yes age is a factor. It's built into our legal system for a reason?

Rackham

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure you understand what grooming means?

And yes age is a factor. It's built into our legal system for a reason?
I get it but she left to join a terrorist organization that was not only killing soldiers for the US and Britain but killing Syrians and other middle easterners in brutal ways. IS helped destroy some of my family's home in Syria.
Age is a small factor but when you make a conscious decision to leave an organization going to hurt people and you don't even have sympathy for the pain you caused after the fact I don't believe you should be rewarded with a trip back to the land you supposedly hate. She was 15 not 10. At what point do you not understand killing and war?

Jebusman

Oct 27, 2017
Halifax, NS
And again, I'm not even sure why life imprisonment is even being bandied around in this thread... I've not seen a -SINGLE- poster advocate for that in this thread, in fact, the vast majority seem to be pretty much of the thought that she was a victim that remains accountable.

It's because people know there are those here who hold that specific opinion, thanks to that previous thread. It's part of the reason that reminder/warning is here, because of who was expressing it and the resulting fallout.

Reckheim

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Why waste more time on this, she is a British citizen so she should be a British problem. Bring her back and put her up for trial on terrorism charges.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
I get it but she left to join a terrorist organization that was not only killing soldiers for the US and Britain but killing Syrians and other middle easterners in brutal ways. IS helped destroy some of my family's home in Syria.
Age is a small factor but when you make a conscious decision to leave an organization going to hurt people and you don't even have sympathy for the pain you caused after the fact I don't believe you should be rewarded with a trip back to the land you supposedly hate. She was 15 not 10. At what point do you not understand killing and war?
One year later and she would have been able to join the army in the UK. Also, it does make me feel deeply uncomfortable in the thread how people are glossing over her crimes, and I kinda wonder if she'd committed her crimes in the UK and we knew the victims would people be as quick to downplay them? It's nameless brown Muslim people in Syria that were victimised and as it's likely any trial will be done in the UK instead of Syria (I can understand why because I think she would face the death penalty there and I think there is questions on how fair a trial she would receive there) they aren't going to get a say in it, and her victims of the regime she upheld are mostly stuck in Syria in the same refugee camps that she's in currently. You can think she should remain a British Citizen and that her age should play a part in sentencing while also acknowledging her victims and that she should face consequences for her actions. Her victims are already a lot more voiceless than her without making them more so.

Oct 25, 2017
Idk what "punishment" is supposed to do for anyone in this situation. I don't think she should just be able to chill at home, but I would rather have the former-child bride get limited access to her environment, deprogrammed and assigned some substantial community service vs "ok bad person go spend _ years in a cell". I seriously don't understand what that does for anyone (and i'm just talking this case specifically, even though I don't care for "make person dissappear" punishments to begin with..)

Reckheim

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Idk what "punishment" is supposed to do for anyone in this situation. I don't think she should just be able to chill at home, but I would rather have the former-child bride get limited access to her environment, deprogrammed and assigned some substantial community service vs "ok bad person go spend _ years in a cell". I seriously don't understand what that does for anyone (and i'm just talking this case specifically, even though I don't care for "make person dissappear" punishments to begin with..)
Nah, she should get jail time. She went over seas to kill innocent people and doesn't 'regret it'. Like someone else in the thread said, she was a year away from being able to Join the UK military, she knew what she was doing.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
Nah, she should get jail time. She went over seas to kill innocent people and doesn't 'regret it'. Like someone else in the thread said, she was a year away from being able to Join the UK military, she knew what she was doing.
So what you're saying is... she wasn't old enough to join the military?

Try your argument with a judge if you sleep with a girl that's 15 rather than 16 in the UK. It may be a small distinction, but it's a legally important one.

Oct 25, 2017
Nah, she should get jail time. She went over seas to kill innocent people and doesn't 'regret it'. Like someone else says, she was a year away from being able to Join the UK military, she knew what she was doing.
Which is why she should be taught to regret it (and I dont think criminals regret what they've done because they go to prison) and why she should be made to do something productive that produces some good in the world (which she won't do by sitting in some room for however many years). Or does the UK govt think the faceless brown people in their eyes that got killed in a "far-away brown people land" will be honored by putting some brown girl out-of-sight, out-of-mind (which they're made to deal with because they can't dump her in "far-away brown people land")? Who is this really helping?

Absolute

Banned
Nov 6, 2017

Well the uk government murdered her child but I understand you feel she needs to rot in jail too.

Pandora012

Oct 25, 2017
Seems odd by comparison that Samantha Lewthwaite, who is described as one of the world's most wanted terrorist suspects appears to remain a British citizen after all this time.

I suppose the argument can be made that Shamima Begum is potentially entitled to Bangladeshi citizenship, but we seem to have an odd approach in the UK to whom has their citizenship removed and who gets to keep it.

Correct me if im wrong, but i think the key difference here is that Begum wants to return home. So the government attempted to stop that by revoking her citizenship. As far as I know, Lewthwaite hasn't attempted that.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
she knew what she was doing
giphy.gif

Seductivpancakes

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
What fucking 15 year knows what they're doing.

I wanted to kill myself when I was 15. I swore I'd end my miserable life at 18 cause I was convinced nothing good comes after 18 years.