• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Nov 17, 2017
Exactly, & I'm surprised that more people don't bring it up. While having an exclusively-black character is preferred, having a character who's at least primarily dark-skinned is still a big step forward with regards to representation.
Idk, this seems like it would be such a cop out. We already have dark skinned alts in Villager and Inkling. I don't want another generic avatar with no personality that just happens to have one or two dark-skinned alts. I don't see how Octoling would be a big step. It's an incremental step, I guess but hardly anything noteworthy. I think it just further highlights Nintendo's lack of diversity that we have to scrape the bottom of the barrel like this. We shouldn't have to be like "look this race of humanoid octopi sometimes have dark skin! Put them in Smash!" At least Marina is a distinct character.

In conclusion, Twintelle was robbed.

Oct 27, 2017
First the thread about Minecraft Steve and now this? Are people really that desperate for a black character that they would rather accept someone that can at best be an echo fighter of an existing nondescript character than something actually more exciting?

OP
OP
Taka

Taka

Apr 27, 2018
First the thread about Minecraft Steve and now this? Are people really that desperate for a black character that they would rather accept someone that can at best be an echo fighter of an existing nondescript character than something actually more exciting?
There's a whole arsenal of weapons from Splatoon that haven't been touched for Inkling's moveset.

If Isabelle can be unique from Villager (and she is) then there's no good argument for why Marina can't be unique from Inkling.

Yolkghost

Oct 25, 2017
I was expecting more of a discussion on how cool Marina is in universe - like the fact that she is known to be EXTREMELY intelligent and created the shifty stations stages alongside many other inventions. Marina's a genius and I would LOVE to see her show up.

Especially if they give her some of the alt colors she had in the splatoon concerts.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
My vote for second Splatoon character is actually agent 8 as default octoling, but they both achieve the same goal. Give them a moveset based around the new Splatoon 2 weapons, brella and dualies, as well as some of the ones missing from the inkling moveset, or influenced by things from octo expansion such as the repeated 8 balls or something.

If they put marina in, they'll definitely be doubled up with pearl and that's not a risk I'm willing to take, lol.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've been asking for Pearl and Marina since the Octo Expansion came out. You can do a lot with them I feel.

Marina being a woman of color is a bonus for me but I've wanted these characters for a while.

Zarckoh

Oct 25, 2017
Mexico
These echo arguments are reminding me of those that wanted Isabelle to be echo. But unlike Animal Crossing there is way more combat material and unused weapons to make a moveset.

Like it or not Splatoon deserves far more than an echo as a second rep.

Crayolan

Oct 25, 2017
Marina would only ever be added as part of a duo with Pearl.

I think if we are to get another Splatoon rep, Octolings as a semi-clone/echo of Inklings are far more likely.

Weebos

Oct 25, 2017
I can't see them adding Marina without her being a duo with Pearl, like Ice Climbers or something, (same with Callie and Marie).

I would love to see it either way.

Kitty Paws

One Winged Slayer
Oct 21, 2019
Marina is my favorite Splatoon character, she's sooo cute!

I think they should add her as a standalone fighter, with various other Octoling skins available similar to the Inkling character, and then add Pearl as a skin for the Inkling too.

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
You probably need a better argument that representation ( I agree representation is important and it matters) for a character to be included in Smash. Smash seems to be a combination of Nintendo requested characters and iconic third party IPs. Of course Sakurai has a say, but we need to start asking companies to be more open to represent more people. I for one wish Latinos were not represented as gang members, drug dealers, or just casualties.
I bet the same happens with a lot of people around the world.

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
Nah.
Inklings are already here, it's enough for splatoon imo.
This. Sales seem to be less of an indicative factor than number of games a character is in/number of games in the series. I'm sure there's some way of tweaking the perspective based on added characters, some exception to the rule, but that's always the sense I've gotten overall. I think we're good on Splatoon characters.

I'm still holding out for Tetris block myself. I'd love to see what Sakurai does with such an esoteric concept.

We_care_a_lot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Summerside PEI
literally 15 games worth of final fantasy characters I would like to see before another splatoon character. admittedly I'm not really into the lore of splatoon, it being an online shooter and all but I definitely would not be exicted for another splatoon character. or raiden from metal gear solid. or pyramid head from silent hill although I guess that would be iffy since there was like 1 silent hill game ever on nintendo consoles and it wasn't 2. same with raiden I suppose.

What about the dog from okami? viewtiful joe? Leon from resident evil?

i dunno, another splatoon character just seems a bit redundant. I guess it would be fine, for those who love splatoon

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
You gotta include characters that actually do something. If you want black representation, theres plenty of characters out there like Elma from X Chronicles they could add but Sakurai isn't really going to go for a character who sits there, is not playable, and just talks

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
You gotta include characters that actually do something. If you want black representation, theres plenty of characters out there like Elma from X Chronicles they could add but Sakurai isn't really going to go for a character who sits there, is not playable, and just talks

Super-Smash-Bros-Ultimate-27.jpg

Deleted member 31092

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Marina without Pearl would be extremely lame after their entire character arc in the game and DLC is about them being a pair in everything.

Give me Octoling instead

Deleted member 31092

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017

Marina is an ex soldier, an hacker, an engineer and she was part of a team that stopped a racial genocide. She did plenty of stuff.

McNum

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Denmark
Agent 8 with the Dualies, and a Solid Snake style gadgets and traps moveset would be fun, too, and not an Inkling clone, with the sole exception of needing to restock ink. Her hold A attack would be cancellable by moving left or right into a dodge while still firing.

Of course, her Final Smash would be calling in Pearl and Marina to recreate the climax of the Octo Expansion on the opponent. If it's a game winning KO, the Good Guys/Bad Guys bar will shatter, just like in Splatoon 2.

But I definitely won't say no to just Marina. She's cool.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I will be absolutely shocked if she isn't part of challenger pack 2, she's the closest thing to a hard lock imaginable. My hope is that Pearl and Marina will both be in as co-echos similar to Simon and Richter, but with some unique characteristics and animations.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I was also thinking of Agent 8 upon seeing this thread, since her default look is with a dark skin tone and shes the protagonist of the Octo Expansion. I'm hoping to see Agent 8/Octolings as a semi-clone of Inkling similar to the relationship between Isabelle and Villager so that they can use Splatoon weapons not yet covered like the dualies.

Marina is also cool too though if she gets in, since I imagine she could summon Pearl for combination moves. I'm just more pessimistic on her chances compared to Octoling so Im keeping lower expectations.

Last edited:

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'll vote the creepy gremlin over the lady that apparently has trouble finding pants that fit.

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017
Marina > Callie >>> Marie >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> sleep paralysis > Pearl.

OP
OP
Taka

Taka

Apr 27, 2018
You probably need a better argument that representation ( I agree representation is important and it matters) for a character to be included in Smash. Smash seems to be a combination of Nintendo requested characters and iconic third party IPs. Of course Sakurai has a say, but we need to start asking companies to be more open to represent more people. I for one wish Latinos were not represented as gang members, drug dealers, or just casualties.
I bet the same happens with a lot of people around the world.
You could name almost any available Nintendo first party character and I'd say that Marina deserves to be in just as much or more. Splatoon is due for more than one rep. There isn't a better case for any other Splatoon character than Marina.

Inklings already serve as the player stand-in character, so it wouldn't make much sense to add a generic Octoling.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You could name almost any available Nintendo first party character and I'd say that Marina deserves to be in just as much or more. Splatoon is due for more than one rep. There isn't a better case for any other Splatoon character than Marina.

Inklings already serve as the player stand-in character, so it wouldn't make much sense to add a generic Octoling.
What I don't get is why just Marina when she's firmly part of a duo.

OP
OP
Taka

Taka

Apr 27, 2018
What I don't get is why just Marina when she's firmly part of a duo.
I confess part of it is because I hate how the Ice Climbers play and tend to prefer single characters.

While "Ice Climbers" play and operate a single unit in their own game, I don't think Marina and Pearl are the same. They're best friends and a two person act as performers, yes, but from a gameplay perspective there's nothing really keeping them from being separate. It'd be easy enough to incorporate Pearl into the Final Smash (recreating the Octo Expansion) as others have suggested.

Yamanote Line

alt account
Banned
May 10, 2020
I would prefer a third party well known character over half the crew I try to skip every time I boot the game.

She would be a really boring choice.

On the other hand, I support having a Octoling echo fighter and I am 100% sure is coming.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I confess part of it is because I hate how the Ice Climbers play and tend to prefer single characters.

While "Ice Climbers" play and operate a single unit in their own game, I don't think Marina and Pearl are the same. They're best friends and a two person act as performers, yes, but from a gameplay perspective there's nothing really keeping them from being separate. It'd be easy enough to incorporate Pearl into the Final Smash (recreating the Octo Expansion) as others have suggested.
I understand why you want just Marina but as a fan of both as a duo I'd honestly be very disappointed if Pearl was reduced to a Final Smash. I view them to close to separate them like that.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd accept Pearl with Marina if they made it explicit they were girlfriends. And Pearl could be a Partner-type character ala Kazooie.

Otherwise it be better to just be Marina because we need a black fighter in Smash.

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017

I would have Marina Join any day before Rob or Pichu... Maybe half the cast, but the reason they are in and Marina is not is just that they were already available from old versions.

Nintendo doesn't have many if any, western devs, so I dont expect a black main character for one of the games tbh, maybe a new platinum game would, but for the most part most Nintendo new IPs are not even human.
We need more diversity cast in the west, we need new game locations (The USA is already tried and tired) for the industry as a whole to advance.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I understand why you want just Marina but as a fan of both as a duo I'd honestly be very disappointed if Pearl was reduced to a Final Smash. I view them to close to separate them like that.

I mean, that's literally Pearls role in octo expansion though.

Marina is the one who does everything important to help agent 8 and then tells pearl at the very end that they need her super shrill screaming as what would inevitably be the final smash in the game should they get in.

Spine Crawler

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i think the problem really is that the japanese game industry (and the western too) has not produced any black protagonists or even side characters for a long time and they are still rather bad at it.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
She's an awesome character for a variety of reasons and can totally see Splatoon getting a second rep. Would love to see her in Smash!!

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean, that's literally Pearls role in octo expansion though.

Marina is the one who does everything important to help agent 8 and then tells pearl at the very end that they need her super shrill screaming as what would inevitably be the final smash in the game should they get in.
Ok we get it you don't like Pearl.

Sorry I don't want my fav couple to be split up.
af4ug33nbbc31.jpg

(Plus I think the two of them working together would make for a more interesting move set.)