• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Taka

Apr 27, 2018
With over 15 million copies sold, Splatoon is the biggest of Nintendo's newer franchises. Splatoon 2, the Switch sequel, more than doubled the sales of the original game on Wii U. Splatoon received its first representative in Smash with the generic Inkling, the very first character announced for Smash Bros Ultimate.

However, for such a massive franchise, the series remains woefully underrepresented on the Smash roster. It's in a situation similar to where Animal Crossing was, with its lonely generic Villager, before the addition of Isabelle.

With this new expansion pass Nintendo has an opportunity to give Splatoon a second representative. But who should it be? Fortunately, there is an obvious candidate!

219px-Marina.png

Before Splatoon 2 the top candidates would've been Callie and/or Marie, the Squid Sisters, who served as the faces of the game. They hosted everything from the in-game news broadcasts to the Splatfests. However, the Squid Sisters were largely replaced in that role by newcomers Marina and Pearl in Splatoon 2. In the most recent Smash presentation (where Min Min was announced) Callie and Marie received Mii costumes, suggesting that they won't be added to the roster anytime soon.

That leaves Marina and Pearl. Although there was never a straight up Marina vs Pearl Splatfest, Marina's teams won 43 Splatfests to Pearl's 37, and is widely seen as the more popular idol worldwide. Furthermore, Marina is an Octoling, not an Inkling, and provides thematic variety within the world of Splatoon.

It would be very easy to come up with a Marina moveset that incorporates Splatoon weapons that Inkling didn't use -- easier than it was to differentiate Isabelle from Villager. As a character, her dialogue already indicates that she has a preference for the Brella and Octobrush.

o5cdpx9zkehz.jpg

And, of course, as a darker skinned character Marina would bring urgently needed representation to the Smash roster. However, even if that were not the case, Marina would still be an absolutely perfect candidate among Nintendo's first party options. Maybe the roster is already set in stone and maybe it isn't, but either way folks at Nintendo should give her the consideration she deserves.

#PutMarinaInSmash

Here are some great points made by other posters:

I was expecting more of a discussion on how cool Marina is in universe - like the fact that she is known to be EXTREMELY intelligent and created the shifty stations stages alongside many other inventions. Marina's a genius and I would LOVE to see her show up.

Especially if they give her some of the alt colors she had in the splatoon concerts.
Marina is an ex soldier, an hacker, an engineer and she was part of a team that stopped a racial genocide.
Obviously an ultra-safe company like Nintendo didn't overtly discuss real-world racism in their E10+ rated game, but Marina actually was the subject of some. . .fantasy racism in the chat room tidbits of the DLC over being an octopus. With Captain Cuttlefish (I.E. one of the "good guy" characters) being the one spouting it off no less, and more importantly being painted as unambiguously WRONG for it.

A whoooole lot of boomer-energy "one of the good ones" talk, complete with Pearl and Marina feeling noticeably awkward from it. Somehow Splatoon 2 of all games was the one to dip it's toes into the subject of uncomfortable microaggressions. And at the end of the day Pearl thoroughly dismisses any racist arguments and comments he makes in favor of being caring and supportive towards Marina. Hell, Pearl threatens to honest-to-goodness cut the old man if he lays a hand on Marina, LOL. I'm not good at describing these things but honestly it all felt like better messaging on the subject than most games I've played, even if the chat room segment was just a footnote to the A-plot of Agent 8 trying to escape a trippy deep-sea hellhole.

All this of course, contrasted with the fact that Elma doesn't really. . .have any kind of acknowledgement of her identity in general in XCX. And the game actually did have it's own racial subtext missions (and quite a few of them, no less!). She's just not relevant to that conversation.

. . .Mostly unrelated aside, but there's also something else about Off The Hook that might be worth considering them for. Full disclosure? There's some suuuuuper noticeable chemistry between Pearl and Marina in the official materials. Like, to the point that most of the Splatoon fandom, even people who want nothing to do with shipping, agree that they're lesbians and Nintendo just won't spit it out because they're afraid of the backlash. Hell, I think they're dating and normally I need this stuff spelled out by the company themselves before I can concede that a couple is a couple. With that in mind, adding them wouldn't strictly be adding a playable LGBT couple YET, but. . .it would be very, very easy for that to change. Like, one finger twitch on a keyboard easy.

Alternate costume (from the Octo Expansion):

latest

Last edited:

data

Oct 25, 2017
Man it would be cool and awesome if she was added. I'd love to see what her abilities would be and after the missed opportunity with Twintelle, this would be a fantastic choice

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
And, of course, as a darker skinned character Marina would bring urgently needed representation to the Smash roster. However, even if that were not the case, Marina would still be an absolutely perfect candidate among Nintendo's first party options. Maybe the roster is already set in stone and maybe it isn't, but either way folks at Nintendo should give her the consideration she deserves.

Can't find the source right now but as of November 2019 Fighters Pass 2's characters have already been decided on so yeah.

I do think there is a good chance they address the lack of black/brown characters in the next Smash at least, hopefully.

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The thing is, i don't expect another Nintendo representative in the second pass after Arms

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
They'd probably just add player avatar Octolings in as a second Splatoon rep since unlike Off the Hook they're playable protagonists

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
While I would be down for Marina in Smash, I'm not sure if using Splatfests to prove that she's more popular is a very good idea since, like Party Crashes in ARMS, skill also plays an equal role. They aren't purely popularity contests. Likewise, even if we got Marina, she'd likely be paired with Pearl.

They'd probably just add player avatar Octolings in as a second Splatoon rep since unlike Off the Hook they're playable protagonists
Which would still be pretty cool since the playable Octolings' default design is a dark-skinned Octoling Girl.

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
Loved her in octo expansion, she's a great character. Would really like to see her in. Although Pearl should come too, they are a team and it's what Marina would want.

ChristianH94

Apr 14, 2019
So you're gonna tell me that you want us to live in a world where Marina is a playable character but my goddamned favorite character ever Marie is confined to being an assist trophy and also a creepy looking mii costume? I don't think so. Marina fans must suffer with me.

although you know what would actually be cool? Octolings as playable characters

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
You can't her and not pearl, like the squid sisters, and I just don't see them as actual fighter tier.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
I love Marina but I don't see any possibility that she gets in without being paired with Pearl. Octolings in general would be a perfect way to have the same concept as a solo character though, plus they're dark skinned and female by default so you'd still get the same representation there.

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
Pearl can just be relegated to floating in the background like Pokemon Trainer

And this would necessitate Octo Expansion music, which is all goddamn incredible.

Ryce

Oct 25, 2017
Octolings are far more likely, being Splatoon's second playable species, and they'd be a dark-skinned girl by default to boot.

b7ANT2m.png

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Octolings seem like the next Splatoon character. And I don't think we're getting another Splatoon character in Pass 2 considering we are getting Splatoon Mii costumes along with Min Min.

Duane

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Heeeell yeah! Even if she IS paired with Pearl, that's fine. (Although everybody likes Marina better anyway, lol)

Those saying Octolings are a better/more likely choice, I agree. It should be an Octoling: Marina!

Last edited:

Deleted member 53506

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 12, 2019
I love Marina but I don't see any possibility that she gets in without being paired with Pearl. Octolings in general would be a perfect way to have the same concept as a solo character though, plus they're dark skinned and female by default so you'd still get the same representation there.

This. Octolings with the female one as default is the way to go.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX

Octolings are far more likely, being Splatoon's second playable species, and they'd be a dark-skinned girl by default to boot.

b7ANT2m.png
Exactly, & I'm surprised that more people don't bring it up. While having an exclusively-black character is preferred, having a character who's at least primarily dark-skinned is still a big step forward with regards to representation.

Oct 25, 2017
even the ink children in smash weren't fun to play, I don't agree with OP and I don't think Splatoon needs any more folks in Smash. One's enough!

Oct 27, 2017
Octolings or Pearl and Marina would rule. They're great characters. And with the Squid Sisters in as Mii skins, Off the Hook deserves its shot.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
even the ink children in smash weren't fun to play, I don't agree with OP and I don't think Splatoon needs any more folks in Smash. One's enough!
Splatoon getting another rep is more of a when than an if, especially considering how big it's gotten in such a short amount of time. Though realistically, the Octolings as a whole are probably gonna be next in line (though fortunately, the default form is a dark-skinned Octoling Girl, so that's a plus).

NoKisum

Nov 11, 2017
DMV Area, USA
If we're getting another Splatoon character, it'd likely be an Octoling as an echo fighter with a couple weapon variations here in their move set. Maybe with a Pearl/Marina inspired color palette in their various skins.

Lady Bow

Nov 30, 2017
Octoling would be such a boring pick. Would essentially be Inkling with slightly different weapons. At least with Pearl and Marina you would get something a lot more unique with their moveset, as well as way better designs.

tim1138

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I imagine a second Splatoon rep would be the Octolings, but Marina would be great. It'd be interesting to see what her move set would be.

King Dodongo

Oct 27, 2017
Marina is really lovable and I only played the betas. (still have my unopened splatoon2 copy)

Last edited:

ze_

Oct 28, 2017
Octo Expansion is Nintendo's best DLC and Pearl and Marina deserve Smash representation. I think it's fine if they come in together, I don't feel like that'd devalue Marina's inclusion at all.

njafxkY.png

OmegaX

Oct 28, 2017
As a FREE echo fighter for Inkling? Sure. Taking up a spot in the Pass? No freaking way.
This is what I think, too. Inklings and Octolings are interchangeable. They could make given them different final smashes and rework some of their weapons but that's not worth a whole spot from the Fighters Pass..

Zarckoh

Oct 25, 2017
Mexico
Marine/Pearl duo would be fine with me. If Octolings are playable I would prefer a semi clone moveset. When the game already has 3 space animals, 3+ plumbers and 2 psychic kids I don't see why 2 ink shooters would be a problem without resorting to a mere echo moveset.

Comes from now a popular IP to boot that on it's second entry sold 10 million copies.