• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Who’s burden is it to shut up about the temperature?

• Shut up always cold folks, you can bring a sweater

Votes: 977 60.1%
  • Hot people need to adjust, they can’t be running AC all day

Votes: 648 39.9%

• Total voters

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
75 is perfect temperature. but people suck and they want to keep it at 72 and make the rest of us wear sweaters during summer.

whats worse is that most office buildings have vents right on top of cubicles. that means you are getting cold air blasted on your head and hands. i remember literally shivering anytime i made the mistake of wearing a half sleeve shirt during summer.

thankfully my office had separate zones for thermostats so i just went and had mine changed to 75. the women in our area loved it and thanked me, and the two guys didnt mind either. i noticed they no longer wear sweaters to work but no one has complained either.

if you are sweating at 75 degree room temperature then go and workout and lose some of that fat keeping you so warm.

MrMephistoX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
1000x this...I find myself staying longer at the office because right now my mother in law is staying with us and she is sensitive to AC on the one hand and also a spendthrift who refuses to let us turn it on lest we waste electricity on the other hand. Nice as can be but it's annoying! $150 on groceries but $.010 for a bag is wasteful. She constantly scolds "don't waste food but simultaneously over prepare more gyoza/dumplings than any person should possibly eat then says I'm too fat and gaining weight lol

gcwy

Oct 27, 2017
Houston, TX
If you're feeling warm at normal temperatures then you might have a weight problem. Running cold AC all day is incredibly ignorant.

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
It's easier to remove layers than be expected to always have a sweater or jacket on hand at all times.

I get the sentiment and also usually run hot - but logically it makes more sense for shared offices to air on the side of too warm than too cold.
Are you crazy? How is it easier for someone to remove a shirt in an office setting? Bring a simple sweater or jacket to work and leave it there. What kind of backwards logic is this

Scheris

Oct 27, 2017
We usually have it somewhere between 75-85, depending on the time of year and what's going on in the office.

The air conditioning setup is kinda wonky where the development and motion graphics departments don't have the AC vents directly over them like the design department does (like the open vent actually is right above the designers). Mine goes horizontal, but the rest of development and motion have just the regular airflow. And when motion is rendering, things get hotter there.

Design tends to have jackets/sweaters on hand when it's necessary (i.e. re seeing or when it's really hot in the summer in FL), usually during winter when it's colder we open the door and let air come in.

Management has their own AC setup that's not connected to ours, so dunno what setup they use. I'm kinda lucky in that I'm in a middle ground between the two, so I rarely have to adjust it since I'm not in either of the extremes.

(And thankfully for both the women and the men in the company, it's essentially business casual where you could wear things like a print t-shirt as long as it's acceptable or sandals.

Of course, if a client is coming by or you're going to meet a client it's more business dress, but nothing like the whole suit/pantsuit getup. So we don't have the issue of men sweating like crazy due to needing to wear a suit at all times.)

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
Men, wear less. If your boss complains then tell them the truth that offices are unfair towards women and that it is better overall to let everyonr be comfortable. This is just the "fuck you got mine" of AC when there is proof offices are designed to benefit men.

Davilmar

Oct 27, 2017
Nah, fuck that. I'm tired of being with people who can't live a moment without the AC. Either raise the temperature to a more sensible level or turn that shit off.

Ginta

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Same temperaturestemperature feel quiet different depending if they are natural or man-made. 21-25°C is my room temp during fall/summer. Anything below and above makes me shiver/sweaty. But if it's a room with an aircon anything below 23°C feels super cold and I get sick super fast.

Oct 25, 2017
We need to save the fucking earth, sorry OP.

Get a desk fan or something, that only consumes fractions of a fraction an office AC would.

Deleted member 13148

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If you're feeling warm at normal temperatures then you might have a weight problem. Running cold AC all day is incredibly ignorant.
If you're feeling cold at perfectly normal temperatures, you might need more muscle mass. Running excessive heat (above 65 F / 18 C) in the winter is incredibly wasteful.

ZiggyPalffyLA

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Los Angeles, California
This is a pretty ignorant statement; people sweat different amounts for various reasons. Ever since puberty, I've sweat way more than the average person because I have hyperhidrosis. Weight might be a factor for some people, but others just have more sweat glands or more active sweat glands.

How do you manage your hyperhidrosis? Is there any medication for it?

Boogs31

Oct 28, 2017
Ohio
72 seems like a reasonable compromise. I'm most comfortable at 69/70 and it sounds like most of the "too cold" crew likes it at 74/75. Anything above 73 is uncomfortably warm if you ask me.

Boogs31

Oct 28, 2017
Ohio

Telling overweight people to lose weight if they're hot is not really a solution. And how do you define normal temperatures? I could just as easily say, if you're feeling cold at normal temperatures you may have an underweight problem.

mxbison

Banned
Jan 14, 2019
I hate ridiculously cold running AC's. I was actually freezing in some shops in Japan. Guess the US would be similar for me?

Deleted member 203

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
These poll results are an excellent illustration of two facts:

1) this place is mostly men

2) most people don't actually care about the environment if it means changing some minor aspect of their lives

Oct 27, 2017
I'm one of those nuts who can run the AC at 78 most of the time (and I'm in SoCal). It's definitely hot as hell but I can tolerate it to save energy. That said, ideally I want it incredibly cold.

behOemoth

Oct 27, 2017
I hate ridiculously cold running AC's. I was actually freezing in some shops in Japan. Guess the US would be similar for me?
It was also ridiculously cold in singapore in every room. Some people even used hoodies to sit comofortably in stations, buses, trains and offices while it was very very hot and humid outside.

-PXG-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
If you're always "too cold", fuck you. Wear more clothes. It's easier to warm up than to cool down.

75 degrees isn't "room temperature". You might as well boil me alive. Blast that AC, lol.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
I think opinions on AC settings are a function of your proximity to the vent.

Everyone likes cool AC. Nobody likes to be right below the vent, getting frigid air blown on them.

FlintSpace

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I do not understand this fight.

AC should be set on based on the common denominator. I am skinny and falls below the average fitness level in my company, then I should be the one taking counter measures for the same. bring a jacket etc.

quik killa

Oct 29, 2017
How do you manage your hyperhidrosis? Is there any medication for it?
I ended up getting the miradry procedure; it took two sessions to get my armpit sweating down to a normal level. I still sweat a lot in other areas of my body, but the armpit sweat led to the most anxiety so I'm glad there was a treatment for it.

Spaceroast

Oct 30, 2017
Let's be democratic about it. Let it go to a vote. If a pro-AC majority wins, the others can put on a sweater. If an anti-AC majority wins, everyone present must be completely OK with casual nudity in the office.

Creamx

Jun 2, 2019
These poll results are an excellent illustration of two facts:

1) this place is mostly men

2) most people don't actually care about the environment if it means changing some minor aspect of their lives

ERA has the tendency to not care much about progress if it inconviencences them in anyways. See also: threads about misogyny, racism & queerphobias.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
If you're always "too cold", fuck you. Wear more clothes. It's easier to warm up than to cool down.

75 degrees isn't "room temperature". You might as well boil me alive. Blast that AC, lol.

I can't believe people would even consider turning AC on at only, what, 24c in not stupid units?

Don't know what to say beyond you need to toughen up, that's nothing unreasonable. Up to 30c is plenty acceptable for a sedentary job, that I assume most people here have.

ghostemoji

Oct 27, 2017
Hey, if we stop shaming sweaty people as being gross, then you can turn your A/C down, but I don't want to hear any bullshit when you can see the sweat coming through the back of my shirt or the ass of my pants.

The professional dress code is incongruous with warm weather. If I can wear shorts and a tank top or a light t-shirt, maybe we can talk, but right now that is not the case.

Shake Appeal

Oct 27, 2017
We should be slowly training ourselves to live in the 80s or higher.

Sweaters aren't killing the earth. AC is.

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Having dry-ass air blasting from the AC to keep the room at 20°C and give everyone a cold when it's 30+C outside is an environmental waste. Summer is hot, and winter is cold. It's not normal to have interiors at 20°C in summer, and 26°C in winter.

Dinjooh

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I voted Shut up cold folks, bring a sweater - but I live in a cold climate, so we have the opposite issue.

Some here want the heating turned up a lot, and a lot of do not want it. Sweating in fucking December when it's -15 degrees outside feels weird.

And no, I'm not allowed to wear shorts at work.

shnurgleton

Oct 27, 2017
Boston
Until we all work in basements and eco friendly buildings that actually cool properly without AC, keep it cool. I'm wearing a t shirt and I'm drenched

BMW

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There is a reason that hospitals keep a lot of patient rooms 69 and under.

steejee

Oct 28, 2017
In the winter my office is too cold.

In the summer my office is too cold.

Everyone ends up wearing a hoody or sweater to deal with it. AC is pretty much always cranked up too strong everywhere I go, and I like living in a cold climate.