• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Type422

Nov 28, 2017
I liked Eternal, but I liked Doom 2016 much more. For me, Doom Eternal felt more like a charakter actiongame than a FPS. Just personal preference I'd say, as I didn't have any problems with the platforming xD

Wolfenstein: The new Colossus on the other side I really really disliked. Just felt worse in really every sense compared to the first one...

TerryLee81

Oct 26, 2017
Chainsaw, flamethrower, frag grenade, ice grenade, meat hook, and obviously all the different weapons with their different mods... Ever watched a top player clear Ultra-nightmare? It's nuts.

Sure, but I've skipped the entirety of it on subsequent playthroughs so I barely remember it at this point. What I will agree with is that the tone of 2016 was a lot more grounded and "cooler", and Eternal shifts the tone towards a saturday morning cartoon. I don't mind it though, I think the cartoon vibe fits the over-the-top gameplay really well. The way new guns are just floating mid-air has that kind of gamey, "We don't give a fuck, here's a gun for you" vibe, and the cartoony "Plop!" sound effect that plays when you get a headshot is endlessly satisfying to me.

Holy shit, that video is impressive.

VAD

Oct 28, 2017
The thing I have against the game is its way of telling a story. I couldn't give less of a shit about anything but shoot demons. At least in Doom 2016, there was no pretense of wanting to develop a mythology, in Eternal, you can feel they wanted to build a story greater than the sole Doomslayer but failed at telling it.

Bedlam

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
With the reveal of it being one of GOTY nominees and getting a decent amount of other recognition recently, I've noticed here a renewal of a lot of people basically being shocked or disappointed about how it's critically praised. Personally it's probably my second favorite game this year, but this is the only place where I see it considered inferior to Doom 2016 or even just not good in general. I see tons of praise for it everywhere elese. It's just one of the weirder bubble things here I've noticed.
1. I don't see outright hate for Doom Eternal. Lots of people just think it's inferior to Doom 2016. The common sentiment was and is that it is still a very good game.
2. Doom 2016 was better in many respects.
3. It's not just on ResetEra

Arn

Prophet of Truth
Oct 28, 2017
Question: if I've played neither do I need to play the original to understand Eternal or deal with its early difficulty?

Nov 8, 2017
Yeah, this. And also the story.
And it's not just Era bubble - just go look on user reviews at Metacritic, TNC scored around 6.5 average on most platforms, while TNO is above 8. Plenty of people were disappointed in that game.

(Prefacing this post by saying that I have my own ton of criticisms of TNC and that I don't think you or anyone else here is specifically "one of those people". I don't think I strictly need to say that but just to be cautious so nobody thinks I'm trying to dismiss their feelings on the game just because of this)

The PS4 and Switch user metascores are higher than the PC and Xbox. But I would strongly caution against using that as the be-all, end-all, because for Wolfenstein 2 specifically got review bombed. Here's a taster of user reviews that are classified as "most helpful" in the negative category:

Too much preachy cringe

This is a game for adult people, do you really believe that you need to tell adult people that Nazis are bad in the way you would explain it to a 4 years old? "NATSI BAAAAAAD. BOO BOO NATSI. NO NATSI".
The storytelling of that game is an insult to my intelligence. In the beginning I thought this is a joke, but no, the really believe that their audience are a bunch of mentally disabled chaps that won't be able to process some serious storytelling.

As if the constant cinematic's weren't enough they don't really serve much of a purpose instead of beating us over the head with Nazi bad, KKK, racism is bad.

It beats you over the head with some of the dumbest commentary i have ever listened to.

Enjoyed the first game and other releases, But as others have noted this has become highly politicized and taints everything in the game and just makes it hard to enjoy. You play games to escape the real world not to get bombarded by Leftist/Antifa/BLM propaganda.

The whole central point of wolfenstein was killing nazis. This game instead tries to make it as if you are what the far left believes is the antithesis of nazis: Communist revolutionaries. This game isn't fun, it's politics with some gameplay.

I enjoyed the other two Wolfenstein games, But... This was rubbish ! Cut scenes are way way too long and very lefty political ! I was expecting they would improve and update the Wolfenstein Nazi shooter, but it looks like the developers got bored and spent the time adding very left wing propaganda cut scenes of three and half hours long +++ Dull as dish water.

I was hoping for a game, but instead I got politics. It's really hard to enjoy a game when you feel like the developer is just using their game as a vehicle to let you know how they view the US and it's people.

**** this game. **** SJW commie nonsensical crap. Wolfenstein is dead. Don't play this crap.

This boring derivative shooter is using a venerable franchise to make a quick buck by injecting the game play with a story riddled with anti-white propaganda and social engineering.

The 'punch a Nazi' refrain goes well beyond the traditional villains of the series and expands the virtue signaling to anyone who is white. We discover our hero was abused as a child by his white father who, surprise surprise was a terrible racist and anti-semite. We discover that the great hope for the world is the multi-ethnic group of resistance fighters which are a carbon copy of other SJW productions like Star Wars The Force Awakens.

The developers here have gone OUT OF THEIR WAY to push a particular narrative here and it is visible in the opening minutes of the game and continues throughout. Its poison, and it should be rightly rejected and called out for the damage it is doing not only to gamers, but to what is left of Western Civilization.

At this point I'm not even 20% done skimming just the negative reviews that left text from one version of the game. But I don't think we can top that last one for dramatism so I'll end there.

The early user reviews were actually much lower than the current aggregate because these type of reviews dominated at first (including a bunch of 0-2 /10 reviws without any text attached), and the scores have slowly crept up since then. This is also why the Switch version has the highest user review scores - it didn't get brigaded on Oct 27 2017 like the other 3 versions did (but it still has it's share of similar reviews anyway, just not as many).

XaosWolf

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The over-reliance on so many new mechanics and abilities you have to use to be successful really hurt the pacing and satisfaction of the gameplay compared to 2016.

Plus, I hated how silly and "gamey" the levels looked and felt. 2016 was already pretty gamey but the levels still seemed reasonably believable; Eternal's levels are like garish and ugly obstacle courses of floating power ups and platforming gimmicks. And the bizarre added emphasis on platforming was VERY obnoxious.

On top of all that you have the story, which while not crucially valuable, was a nice and simple surprise in 2016 but is an overwrought, parody-level mess in Eternal. Upon starting the game I feel like I've missed a midquel game to play. The silly hub area also added nothing to the game.

Doom 2016 was a 9/10 while Eternal was a 7 at best.
This is basically my thoughts too. I already went over this in that other DE thread but yeah, I'm not a fan of the dev's personal "Fun Zone" and as such am no longer excited for any sequels in this reboot series.

Doubly so if we're just going to timeskip between games and sell the missing story back as DLC.

As a side note: Boiling mecahnical grievances (or negative ctiticism in general) down to "people couldn't handle the difficulty" is leaning uncomfortably close to "Git Gud" elitism.

Last edited:

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
I feel like I've seen basically the same attitude elsewhere. When the game came out Animal Crossing dominated the discourse and I think Eternal would have made a bigger dent in that (within gaming-specific circles at least) had its reception been less mixed.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not in love with it like most. I think the combat mechanics are great, but I could really do without the grappling hook swinging around, and jumping to specifically marked spots.
I felt like I was going from set piece battle to set piece battle. Not exactly my favorite style of FPS. I'm not huge on Serious Sam either.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
(Prefacing this post by saying that I have my own ton of criticisms of TNC and that I don't think you or anyone else here is specifically "one of those people". I don't think I strictly need to say that but just to be cautious so nobody thinks I'm trying to dismiss their feelings on the game just because of this)

No, I know. I get that the Gamers(tm) that frequent MC would feel personally offended by certain story elements and characters in TNC (even though one wonders why they weren't offended by TNO that shares much the same sentiments about Nazis, minorities and human rights).
It's definitely not the be-all end-all proof of the game being objectively inferior to the previous one, you're right.

However I refuse to believe the disappointment with TNC is some hive mind thing specific to Era, I am a big fan of TNO and I honestly wanted to love TNC, but it was simply inferior, and I didn't need to read any Era opinions to see that.

Aerial51

Apr 24, 2020
Eternal is a better Game because of it's combat mechanics and weapons and enemy design (minus the marauder) but it fails in creating hype moments like doom 2016 and the arena design while good is much more unmemorable than it was in Doom 2016. Playing Doom Eternal is hype but everything you do kinda mashes together by the end, leaving you with nothing but a good feeling but also no real memories.

Deleted member 23046

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I don't have any numbers myself but I read someone saying sales weren't near as good as the first one.

The forum could just amplify something legitimate about the game or its reception but with hyperbole.

seroun

Oct 25, 2018
I don't hate it, I just didn't like it as much as 2016 and left it after 3 levels. Idk.

Type422

Nov 28, 2017
No, I know. I get that the Gamers(tm) that frequent MC would feel personally offended by certain story elements and characters in TNC (even though one wonders why they weren't offended by TNO that shares much the same sentiments about Nazis, minorities and human rights).
It's definitely not the be-all end-all proof of the game being objectively inferior to the previous one, you're right.

However I refuse to believe the disappointment with TNC is some hive mind thing specific to Era, I am a big fan of TNO and I honestly wanted to love TNC, but it was simply inferior, and I didn't need to read any Era opinions to see that.

Yep, those quoted user reviews are simply stunning as the core message in TNO was exactly the same. The problem I had with TNC was that I found the writing as a whole a lot more clumsy. I had the feeling, that the writers weren't sure if they wanted a serious story or a funny one.
But the biggest gripe I had was the gameplay itself. On the normal difficulty it relied way too much on stealthy gameplay because the enemies could kill you so fast if an alarm was triggered. And with officers being in literally every level it grew rather stale for me as I just wanted to blast away Nazis :D
The first one got the mix much better and had both of the best worlds ^^

P A Z

Oct 27, 2017
Barnsley, UK
It's not my GOTY but I liked it.

I love the combat, visuals, music and new worlds.

Didn't like the grander story but that was easily skippable, didn't like the expanded lore but that was again easily skippable, didn't like the humour this time round, felt like they didn't get why people liked in 2016, and the boss fights were underwhelming for me.

I was surprised it was nominated ahead of say something like Ori because Eternal has been divisive on all my podcasts whereas Ori I've not heard any negativity about, outside the rough launch, which was quickly fixed.

Jun 26, 2018
2016 was more compelling, because it was a suprise how good it was... Eternal on the other hand was just more of the same and I wasn't keen on the first-person platforming, they honestly went too far with it.

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
Doom Eternal > Doom 2016.

Doom Eternal is one of the tightest, most finely crafted videos games I have ever played. Doom 2016 is a metal jam band playing covers of your favourite songs from the 90s. Doom Eternal is a world class symphony.

Not a lie was spoken.

I went back to play 2016 and by comparison it was a lot slower and less refined

eternal is just constant crack

Ragnar

Oct 28, 2017
Eternal is a better Game because of it's combat mechanics and weapons and enemy design (minus the marauder) but it fails in creating hype moments like doom 2016 and the arena design while good is much more unmemorable than it was in Doom 2016. Playing Doom Eternal is hype but everything you do kinda mashes together by the end, leaving you with nothing but a good feeling but also no real memories.
This may not change your mind, but it gave me a whole new perspective on Marauders and made me appreciate them a lot more:

Duncan

Oct 25, 2017
I'm done defending that game. You either like it or you don't.

It's a game about earning the power fantasy instead of it being given to you through constant resource management and decision making at a break neck pace and if that don't tickle your fancy then go play Doom 2016. That's your Doom that you've always wanted.

Doom Eternal is an entirely different beast and I respect the hell out of the direction iD took instead of the safer way of just making Doom 2016 again.

It's my GOTY bar none.

This interview very much contextualizes why I think it's brilliant from the game's director himself. It's a damn fine one if you can set aside 55 minutes lol

Jun 26, 2018
You know what I really don't get... how the fuck did Ghosts of Tsushima get nominated for 70 different categories for the game awards? That games if fucking paint by numbers as shit.

Deleted member 46948

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Yep, those quoted user reviews are simply stunning as the core message in TNO was exactly the same. The problem I had with TNC was that I found the writing as a whole a lot more clumsy. I had the feeling, that the writers weren't sure if they wanted a serious story or a funny one.
But the biggest gripe I had was the gameplay itself. On the normal difficulty it relied way too much on stealthy gameplay because the enemies could kill you so fast if an alarm was triggered. And with officers being in literally every level it grew rather stale for me as I just wanted to blast away Nazis :D
The first one got the mix much better and had both of the best worlds ^^

Yeah, the tonal whiplash didn't click with me at all.
In TNO, they managed to balance the humor and tragedy of war perfectly, with BJ being clearly traumatised to all hell, but still managing to find hope (and being badass).
In TNC, the mix of wackiness and serious subject matter felt off for some reason. Plus, also, the gameplay and levels were nowhere as good as in TNO.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
You know what I really don't get... how the fuck did Ghosts of Tsushima get nominated for 70 different categories for the game awards? That games if fucking paint by numbers as shit.
I played and 100% the base game, it's a fun, well made game but it doesn't really excel at anything in particular.

To me it's just a well polished Ubisoft game and I mean that as a compliment because I hate Ubi open world games now

Duncan

Oct 25, 2017
Oh yeah that Under The Mayo YouTube channel REALLLLLY loves Doom Eternal in ways that even I won't even reach.

And it ain't perfect; I'll concede to the fact that it's maybe a bit too long and the level design gets too cramped with the amount of enemies the game pours in, the UI isn't as sleek looking as 2016, Doomslayer is a bit more of a man child caricature, and the writing is way more hit and miss compared to the first one but it's still some of the most frenetic and satisfying experiences this entire generation. Especially on the higher difficulties.

Power fantasy earned > given.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
TNC... as good as this?

Nah. Don't know what some of you are on about but that game dreams of being half as good as Doom. It is so bad.

PS: Under The Mayo is an asshole.

-Raven-

Jun 26, 2018
it was one of the best games that i played this Year and one of the best Dooms ever created. But if i have to choose between 2016 and Eternal, i choose 2016 without a doubt!!!

The reason for me is that Eternal is to goofy in the lore departament.

Outside of this, i dont undestand the Hate. The game deserves every praise that it received.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
I tried to get into it twice this year and ran out of steam halfway through both times. It just never really clicked with me - I like the combat, but the levels are overly long for as intense as it is and have too much platforming and generally feel like a huge time commitment that I wasn't getting sufficient enjoyment out of to balance it out. And I know it's dumb, but I just couldn't look past the lame story being shoved in my face constantly after 2016's minimalist approach. Like I tried and I'll probably try again, but I feel like it just wasn't for me.

Also holy shit you guys need to tone down the fucking hyperbole over your video games.

Oct 25, 2017
I would also say that Doom Eternal is kind of what I wished DMC5 was. Still love DMC5, but it falls short in areas that Doom Eternal exceeds in:
  • DMC5 lacks any alt costumes (besides color swaps), meanwhile Eternal has legacy costumes and new fun ones
  • in DMC5 Enemies are not aggressive, and first playthrough is relatively easy with no option to pick hardest difficulty to start. Eternal on other hand can play on nightmare, and even on UN game is hard in the beginning.
  • DMC5 doesn't force players to use entire tool kit, while in Eternal it's a must. Feels like enemies were made to challenge your tool kit.
  • DMC5 has great mobility options but the enemies do not challenge that at all. You can juggle enemies easily in the air and use the camera to block off enemies and cheese the game, Eternal doesn't let you do this.
  • DMC5 levels look samey towards end without a lot of variety with very little hidden things to find, Doom Eternal has huge pretty levels each that feel and look different with tons of secrets
  • DMC5 could have used sections outside of combat that were puzzles or platforming, like utilizing punchline or cavaliere in fun ways.
  • Though DMC5 bosses > Eternal bosses, this is the one area Eternal needs improvement in. Though DMC5 should not make bosses so passive, there is too much time were bosses are far away not attacking.
Oh yeah, about the costumes, it not only had a bunch of cool ones day one, it keeps being updated with new ones for free that you have to earn by playing the game, how crazy is that?

The thing I have against the game is its way of telling a story. I couldn't give less of a shit about anything but shoot demons. At least in Doom 2016, there was no pretense of wanting to develop a mythology, in Eternal, you can feel they wanted to build a story greater than the sole Doomslayer but failed at telling it.
I agree with not caring about anything but shooting demons, but that's exactly why I prefer Eternal's storytelling over 2016's. 2016 loved to pretend it didn't care, while locking you in a room to deliver exposition you can't skip. In Eternal, if you genuinely don't care, just hold R to skip the cutscene and get right back to gameplay (you can even change how long you need to keep R pressed for in the settings).

2016 has all of those DOOMGUY DOESN'T CARE, OMG SO COOL scenes that people who actually don't care can't skip and get back to the game how they want. It's similar to Far Cry 3's "satire" that still has you doing every single gameplay thing they're supposedly criticizing. Boring ass gameplay doesn't get any less boring because you add a "lol it's so boring isn't it?" to the story.

Last edited:

Tedmilk

Avenger
Nov 13, 2017
Game of the Year? Sure, but I preferred Doom 2016.

I respect what they did to the combat loop - and why they did it - but I think they lost a few more casual players because of it. I stuck through the game an DLC on easy difficulty and enjoyed it well enough, but for me the combat improvements don't make up for the worse atmosphere and story telling.

In the Doom 2016 Noclip documentary, Hugo and the gang were super proud of how they told the story without taking the player out of first person... then for the sequel, they threw that ideology out of the window even though it worked really well and made perfect sense.

While levels such as Super Gore Nest are awesome to play and look pretty great, I found the lighting overall in the game felt very one-note. Like, I know technically it wasn't and there was light and shadows in every level, but it lacked mood somehow. I don't recall playing any really dark levels where it was harder to see. Contrastingly, Doom 2016 had some incredibly moody lighting in the outdoor Mars and Hell levels.

I think arguments about the mood/tone of both games are highly subjective, but for me Doom 2016 sits in the sweet spot between Eternal and Doom 3, making Eternal a step backwards. Also, while I really appreciate the thought that went into the combat (and on reflection I don't know if they could have done it any differently while still improving it over the previous game), I felt the combat (especially on a controller) was too hard on easier difficulties.

Rubblatus

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I don't give that sort of thing any thought. At the end of the day Doom Eternal continues to sit on my HDD and getting regular play while Doom 2016 languishes in the hidden games section of my Steam library. It's easily the best FPS I've ever played and improves upon its predecessor by such a massive leap in every regard that actually matters, that I can't ever justify going back to it.

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
DOOM Eternal could have been the GOAT for me, I agree 2016's constant Arena's gating progress requiring you to do that to move on was boring, I wish it was more like DOOM 2 where you had an objective to solve to move on, and enemies were there, no kill requirements to move on...

And I see how DOOM Eternal tried to move away from that, with removing a lot of the Arena combat style it alleviated that forced progression. But, I absolutely loathed the platforming, I don't want to climb a wall, I don't want to have to learn how to time double jumps, I don't want to do anything except solve basic puzzles, find secrets, and kill demons to get through.

DOOM Eternal was a platformer with FPS elements in it, the chainsaw mechanic was dumb, I wish they just kept it to glory kills as your primary resource gathering method, or made it on floor pickups... But it was not a game I wanted to keep playing.

Dr. Ludwig

Oct 31, 2017
Almost the EXACT same thing happened with Wolfenstein II: New Colossus. Another great game which received a lot of praise from critics (it actually has the exact same metascore as Eternal), but seems to be utterly despised here. For the record, I think both New Colossus and Eternal are great. *shrug*

New Colossus is a bad game and incompetently designed. Doom Eternal shows Id Software are masters of their craft.

Jun 26, 2018
New Colossus is a bad game and incompetently designed. Doom Eternal shows Id Software are masters of their craft.

d737bd76a59cdb82b80fe0c0dbbc5bad.jpg

Dennie Dee

Oct 26, 2017
Bruges, Belgium
Love the base game and a contender for my GOTY but I'm frustrated with the DLC.

The difficulty in that just feels arbitrary and cheap. Buff totems, tentacles in the arena, turrets, the spirits, ... It's fucking lame.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
I don't have any numbers myself but I read someone saying sales weren't near as good as the first one.

Good thing sales were even batter than the first one

DOOM Eternal first week was 2x higher than DOOM '16

When all Bethesda Published games sequels dropped massively compared to the first games, see The Evil Within 2, Dishonored 2 and The New Colossus, DOOM Eternal did even better than the first one

Doom Eternal has the best launch weekend in franchise history

Bethesda announced today that Doom Eternal has had the best launch weekend of any game in the franchise's history.

The fucking truth, MachineGames went full "story and cinematic" and left behind actual level design, enemy encounters and boss fights.

Nobody cares about DOOM story and even if ID tried to have a "story", they didn't shit the bed with the rest.

Last edited:

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
It wasn't fun constantly running out of ammo and having to kill enemies in a specific way to get a little ammo. I was pushing through and thinking that maybe with upgrades the game would eventually be fun, but it quickly stopped being fun altogether. The game was constantly interrupting my flow in combat by giving me so very little resources to remind me if I'm not killing enemies with a chainsaw or the flamethrower, I'm playing it wrong.

And that was exactly what I liked about 2016. It threw me into a pit with demons, gave me guns and said good luck. 2016 was about maneuvering around the arena, knowing where to go to avoid being swarmed, being fast and deadly, and the more I killed, the more resources I got. The big difference was it didn't matter how I killed. The game allowed me to play the way I preferred. Eternal was a massive step back on that front, and it just wasn't fun.

Euphoria

Oct 25, 2017
Earth
Grabbed it for $19 or so on PSN and quickly wishing I grabbed the $29 version with the DLC.

Some of the most fun I've had in a shooter since Unreal Tournament 3 on the PS3. I just love the super quick pace of everything and just how hectic it all is.

Ninhead

Drive-in Mutant
Avenger
Nov 18, 2017
It just didn't need that story. That game is paced too strangely for a deep lore. It's not complicated. It shouldn't be.

MoonlitBow

Oct 25, 2017
To be fair ammo was only really a problem early on (and probably deliberately so). As you got more weapons that was equivalent to having more ammo and eventually as long as you were willing to use different weapons then ammo became much less of an issue.

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
2016 was the perfect revival of doom for me, Eternal just soils it by adding a ton of nonsense on top of it. I can recognize it being an amazing game to those who like it, but for me 2016 was where I wanted doom to be and Eternal just moved it into a completely different direction that I do not enjoy at all.

Corncob

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
UK
The pacing is the main thing that hurts the game for me. I love how fast paced the action is and just want to play the entire game at a breakneck pace like that. But the game constantly wants to slow me down so I can look around for some shitty collectibles I don't care about but require to power my abilities up. It genuinely makes the game a chore for me and outright ruins it.