• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
Mouths don't move when people speak

People doing weird shit in background

Its funny first couple times but now its happening all the time lol

Playing on PS5 with latest patch

Rock Howard

Oct 28, 2017
Same here. Ubisoft being more busy patching money and other exploits of the likes in order to increase micro transaction revenue.
Still impressive that they pushed that game out given circumstances

Risev

Oct 27, 2017
I think the mouths not moving was a glitch introduced in the last patch, not actually an issue originally present.

Least I remember reading that. If that's true then that sucks they actually broke something this big with a patch and left it there for weeks now.

Seijuro

Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't a big patch planned including the river raid update for beginning of February? Still on a break from the game after 30 hours playtime, wanted to come back when it's more patched up.

WolfForager

Oct 27, 2017
What I find more jarring is that there's absolutely no proper transitioning between gameplay and cutscenes. Maybe I've been spoiled by the like of TLOU2, but my god is it bad in Valhalla.

Rock Howard

Oct 28, 2017
Wasn't a big patch planned including the river raid update for beginning of February? Still on a break from the game after 30 hours playtime, wanted to come back when it's more patched up.
That's correct and I'm doing the same - but with 90 hrs on the clock and no end in sight. Needed some distraction and Control UE is the perfect in between snack

Yoshi88

Oct 26, 2017
It's the cost of games this big.

Shouldn't have to be. Odyssey was way, waaay more polished than Valhalla even at launch.

3 months in, Valhalla still has everything. Quest bugs, script bugs, map bugs, animation bugs, clipping bugs, audio bugs, heavy tearing in certain places.

Yesterday every vegetation vanished in a precise circle of 5 metres around my character. Grass, bushes, leaves on trees. I was like what kind of LoD bug is this?

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
I didn't realise this was that commonplace. I thought it was just because I kept putting the game into rest mode rather than just shut down!

Truant

Oct 28, 2017
Same here, but I feel like I'm near the end of the game. Just got back to playing as Eivor after the
Basim present day
stuff.

Might just suffer through it instead of holding out for the patch.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
Shouldn't have to be. Odyssey was way, waaay more polished than Valhalla even at launch.

3 months in, Valhalla still has everything. Quest bugs, script bugs, map bugs, animation bugs, clipping bugs, audio bugs, heavy tearing in certain places.

Yesterday every vegetation vanished in a precise circle of 5 metres around my character. Grass, bushes, leaves on trees. I was like what kind of LoD bug is this?

Well Valhala was released during new console releases and probably developed along with updates to their own tools for new consoles. Odyssey might have just been a simpler game too, i'm not sure. Odyssey was also the sequel to a game built on the same machines and tools, so it had a better chance of being less buggy sibce it likely enjoyed all of that previous QA. There are lost of mitigating factors that Odyssey might have enjoyed.

But, in general, big games simply are more given to bugs than smaller games, it's just how it works. Systems that need to satisfy bigger/scaling needs are more likely to have exponentially more bugs and are more difficult to QA as well.

Dogstar

Oct 29, 2017
I can't believe they haven't patched this. It can't be that hard to release the odd hotfix inbetween the big title updates can it? This bug takes you right out of any immersion you manage to build. It's now two months on from their CPU usage issue was delivered in patch 1.1.0 and still no real word on that being sorted either. :(

OriginalJonty

Editor at TheSixthAxis
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
I've just made it head canon that the characters have psychic abilities so communicate with thoughts when their mouths aren't moving.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Yup, Valhalla is incredibly unpolished. I can only imagine how much better the game would be if they simply scaled down the world and the amount of side quests and pointless collectibles.

Mazz

Nov 11, 2017
Look at the bright side, at least they fixes Eivor being always super drunk after a cutscene after the Yule festival.

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
I think the mouths not moving was a glitch introduced in the last patch, not actually an issue originally present.

Least I remember reading that. If that's true then that sucks they actually broke something this big with a patch and left it there for weeks now.

Yeah, they broke it in the last big patch and it's maddening that they haven't hotfixed it yet.

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
I've said this many times - Valhalla is the most "AA" big-budget game I've played. Yes, I know it sounds stupid, but it just feels like I'm playing AA game with all the bugs, weird animations etc, etc.

kevinking94

Oct 28, 2017
I honestly feel like the lip synching has always been off, atleast in odyssey and Valhalla from what I remember.

bushmonkey

Oct 29, 2017
Im really enjoying the game but the quality of the cut scenes even if you ignore the mouths issue just plain sucks. They really didn't. spend any time and money in that part of the game and it shows.

Ramathevoice

Oct 26, 2017
Paris, France
Yeah it's gorgeous but janky as fuck. Dont remember the previous 2 ever being that bad.

Also, I kind of hate the combat? Feels kind of like it lacks impact, feedback, and it's also kind of random whether a block or parry will work.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, the mouths not moving while people speak is the opposite of Nintendo's characters having moving mouths but no speech... It takes me right out of scenes.

Please note: I know Ubisoft's stuff is not intentional, and I hate it too.

May 19, 2020
sorry guys this game is just 'this big' so it just has to stay broken for now. thanks for the money and the beta test in the meantime tho

Bushido

Senior Game Designer
Verified
Feb 6, 2018
It has less to do with that and more to do with lack of QA. When we're the testing grounds we're the ones that get to experience the new glitches that come with new patches that fix old problems but create new ones.
Please stop blaming QA. They most likely notice and report issues like these (and a lot of others), but it doesn't mean they'll also get fixed.

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain
The mouths not moving issue only happened to me after one of the latest patches. It worked perfectly until then.

Catsygreen

Nov 1, 2017

This.

Also, almost all cutscenes have no budget. Just look at this one in Jorvik, for example: https://youtu.be/DZ4RgW0BJ5c?t=767 (spoiler, of course)

You see a member of the Ancients killing a shopkeeper in front of local people... (in a similar way to AC1), except that you never see the people around them, the camera remains fixed on two characters... it's badly done, badly animated and like every cutscene in the game, you don't care.

Manta_Breh

May 16, 2018
It's one of the most unpolished ubi games in recent times. I have no idea why its rated so highly.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
It's the cost of games this big.

nonsense. There are bigger games that are far more polished. Even Odyssey which is the game that came before is wayyy more polished even in its launch state, let alone now, and it's similiarly massive, if not even bigger.

This is the cost of pushing a game out before its ready is probably a more accurate thing to say, it's been in development since Origins was finished, no matter how you slice and dice it, that's 3 years with the last 8 months spent in covid, ubisoft of course being ubisoft needed the game out to save their bottom line especially after WD Legions underperformance, so yeah.

MikePT

Oct 28, 2017
I loved this game, but it's plagued with bugs.

I have a story breaking bug in the Glory Regained quest where the Regroup with Soma event doesn't start. This is in a level 20 region!

I've done everything else in the game I can think of (Asgard, Vinland, all other story missions, glitches, mythical animals, zealots…) but can't progress the story because of a bug that occurs like 4 hours into the game :/

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
An update was added to the PlayStation Network database yesterday so that patch is about a week away (judging from the time previous updates were submitted to the time when they became available). So anyone waiting for a patch (which isn't a bad idea) has about a week left before this one.

I didn't realise this was that commonplace. I thought it was just because I kept putting the game into rest mode rather than just shut down!
That can cause problems too, but yeah, the lack of lip synching can happen even immediately after a cold boot.

Odyssey might have just been a simpler game too, i'm not sure. Odyssey was also the sequel to a game built on the same machines and tools, so it had a better chance of being less buggy sibce it likely enjoyed all of that previous QA.
Odyssey is at least as complex as Valhalla in terms of player-facing complexity within gameplay and the systems visible to the player. Obviously I have no idea what's going on behind the scenes, but if Valhalla is having problems because there's all kinds of invisible complexities then that's still Ubisoft's problem because those invisible complexities are having absolutely no positive effect on the game whatsoever.

And yes, Odyssey was built on a previous game, but...so was Valhalla. They're both very clearly based off Origins, with the key difference being that Odyssey was released just one year after Origins and Valhalla was released three years after it. That should have resulted in Valhalla being more polished than Odyssey. Instead, the opposite is true.

Look at the bright side, at least they fixes Eivor being always super drunk after a cutscene after the Yule festival.
I'm not sure they can even claim to have fixed that. It was added with the Yule festival patch and it went away when the Yule festival did. Could be that they just waited for the thing causing the bug to go away and that if they re-add the Yule festival that exact bug will return.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't encounter this bug, but I did have cutscenes where characters wouldn't speak at all and I just had to skip the lines.

May 19, 2020
look guys it's just a problem of bigness and not because ubisoft pushed the game out the door after the disastrous launch of watch dogs: legion. when we get jumbo AAAA games you will just have to deal with no sound in the cutscenes, that's the cost of mega gaming.

zeox

Oct 27, 2017
Norway
Valhalla is an incredibly buggy game, more buggy for me than Unity was. These cutscene bugs, some mysteries that don't spawn correctly making them unfinishable etc etc. I want to love this game a lot, but I just can't with all the bugs

unicornKnight

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
I've said this many times - Valhalla is the most "AA" big-budget game I've played. Yes, I know it sounds stupid, but it just feels like I'm playing AA game with all the bugs, weird animations etc, etc.
I think it's clear that for that scale of game it needed more time. They tried to put an enormous amount of stuff no one asked for and we got a broken mess.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I thought the thread was referring to Va11-Hall-A at first and was like, "yeah, it's a pixel art visual novel".

Gibbs

Oct 25, 2017
West Virginia
So, it wasn't just me. This happened in almost every cut scene.

It happens in every cutscene for myself(Xbox Series X). I think its hilarious that this has seemly been ignored for as long as I have been playing the game. I have some characters who mouths move while others don't or they simply stop talking during. Its weird.

Oh, and NPCs in the backround of cutscenes can be weird when they aren't supposed to be there.

Indy_Rex

Banned
Sep 20, 2020
Mines keep having arrows attached to their hands, the lip-sync glitch AND sometimes missing characters (rare).

Remember when people lost their shit over Unity's faceless characters? All it took was 7 years and people getting used to glitch filled launches.

Krakatoa

Prophet of Regret
Oct 29, 2017
The cutscenes are annoying, I'm near the end so I am skipping the scenes quickly now as it feels like I've been playing this game for a 100 years.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
Wait, are we pretending RDR2 didn't have bugs?

Wait, are we pretending that RDR 2's bugs are anywhere on the level of Valhalla?

Every game and piece of software has bugs, thats normal. Especially fuckhuge open world games that go on forever. But Valhalla crosses a certain threshold that I think deserves to be called out. I played and enjoyed every mainline AC game, even Unity (at launch) despite how clearly unfinished it also was, yet I had to drop Valhalla because of the amount of bugged quests, save game corruptions, visual glitching and just generally janky shit. Felt like i was playing an alpha version of a good game.

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
Same here. Ubisoft being more busy patching money and other exploits of the likes in order to increase micro transaction revenue.
Still impressive that they pushed that game out given circumstances
Ubisoft has never shied away from releasing a game in holiday shopping season even if its buggy and incomplete.