• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
www.Samsung.com

Let's say you want a TV.

Do you want 8K or 4K?

4K? Cool - do you want a regular QLED? What size? There's everything you could want. Oh! You want something that's a little more... chic?

Would the Serif do?

Gallery-1600x1200-_0000_Serif_3B_72.jpg

No? What about the Sero?

Gallery-1600x1200-_0000_Sero_7A.jpg

Fun fact - they have NINE different models of TV that offer an 85" version.

But that's nothing - they have thirty five different cell phones, each in different colors, sizes, and storage capacities.

Here's the Galaxy XCover Pro:

PDP-GALLERY-G715-07-Lockup-1600x1200.jpg

Want headphones for your new phone? No prob; you could pick up:

- Galaxy Buds Live
- Galaxy Buds +
- Galaxy Buds+ BTS
- or any number of wired headphones

Need a $4,000 Smart Fridge... with a built-in AKG sound system?

RF22N9781SG-Gallery-4.jpg

or a machine that steams/presses your clothes for you?

Airdressors_ANewStandard_01.jpg

Do you need a Jet Bot?

Hand_Mode_PC.jpg

Ever wanted to do your laundry over WiFi?

2GDS_PC_PD_B2.jpg

Ever wanted a new AC unit for your bedroom but hate that it blows pesky air?

... or maybe, simply, you just want a monitor that you connect to your computer but also offers applications you'd typically use on your computer right in the monitor?

www.samsung.com

Smart Monitors | Desktop & All-in-One Computers | Samsung US

Samsung Smart Monitors give you the computing power you need while maximizing space. Work in 4k without a laptop or computer. Select from UHD and FHD resolution.

This website would blow minds just 15 years ago.

Oct 25, 2017
It's the largest chaebol in South Korea. The diversity of products and services they sell are gigantic and go well beyond electronics.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
LG too. My TV will give me a corner notification when my oven is done preheating.

SABO.

Nov 6, 2017
My partner does our washing over Wi-Fi on our LG washing machine

thats all I really have to contribute

MrRob

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Isn't Samsung basically the Walmart of South Korea? It is mind blowing the breadth of products they offer.

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
LG too. My TV will give me a corner notification when my oven is done preheating.

I physically, for real laughed out loud reading this post. Not sure why I found it so funny. I guess it manages to hit the sweet spot between Seinfeld-ian mundanity and techno dystopia.

Steven

Oct 27, 2017
A few months ago, YouTube's algorithm decided to recommend me a bunch of Samsung Home Appliance commercials. I was enthralled and binged about 10 different ones. They're not only well made, but as a first time homebuyer in 4-5 years, my fiancé and I are thinking we want Samsung stuff all over in a new build lmao

leberkas

Banned
Nov 10, 2020
Oh there's way more than that.
How about a robot gun sentry?
1411691506_sgr-a1.jpg

Or big ol cargo ships? (Fun fact: They're worlds 2nd largest shipbuilder)
20150401_news001(2).jpg

What about getting some life insurance? Why not choose Samsung Life?

Or you want some construction megaproject built? Guess who was an important part of building Bhurj Khalifa?

Samsung is an insane megaconglomerate and I'm not sure there's anything else quite of the same scale.

Book One

Oct 25, 2017
The people I've known who owned Samsung washers and dryers did not have positive experiences.

However, if I was rich I'd buy every weird ass TV I could find, and those first two definitely fit the bill.

Oct 25, 2017
Damn the wind free AC is blowing my mind

Just thought of this, but is this product aimed at the Korean market cuz there's that weird superstition about fans with the door closed sucking up all the air?

Carnby

Oct 25, 2017
And they'll all break suddenly and with no explanation. Oh and your replacement Samsung device will also break.

Davidion

Charitable King
Oct 27, 2017
Damn the wind free AC is blowing my mind

Just thought of this, but is this product aimed at the Korean market cuz there's that weird superstition about fans with the door closed sucking up all the air?

Yuuuuuuuuup

Sidebar: Nearly every Korean person, including Korean Americans, that I've ever asked about fan death believes it. These are your normal average, educated, savvy young professional Koreans. I'm sure some of them are pulling my leg, but that's a hell of a statistic.

My mind is always blown by that.

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
I have a dumb Samsung fridge, though you can add a WiFi dongle to it for some tech services. It's been rock solid except the ice maker. It's dogshit.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
When I was hunting for a cheaper Android phone, I really loved the options for Samsung - they have a bunch of different series, each with a lot of options. Took a lot of work to figure out, but there's definitely a "goldilocks" phone for everyone, with the right balance of price and specs. I mean, I had to buy it off eBay because it's not officially for sale in the US, but still!

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Big fan of their phones. The S10e was one of my favorite phones in a long time, it was just a little too small for me so I ended up going with another android.

Samsung Pay is secretly my favorite feature of theirs. It's not just a regular phone payment method, it can also simulate your credit card's magnetic strip and trick card swiping machines into thinking a card was swiped and work even if it doesn't have NFC or mobile payment as an option.

Pretty much the main complaints are they they don't always get more than 1 or 2 Android updates, but I find Samsung puts in so many features day 1 in their phones I don't care at all about the big Android updates.
Being able to use their game app to make certain games run at lower res to save battery life, or use other features to customize the home bar buttons (add your own app shortcut, make the whole thing invisible, etc).

Only issues I have with a lot of their flagship are the curved screens (sick of those honestly, flat is always better) since I don't like the extra reflections or needing more expensive screen protectors, but they usually have a flat screen option eventually (like the S10e, or the current S20fe I think it's called).
I also didn't love their in-screen fingerprint reader when I tried a regular S10 for a while. For one thing it seemed more finicky than other phone makers who use an optical reader (like OnePlus) instead of Samsung's ultra sonic method. I also don't think their method works with all screen protectors which is annoying.
I prefer the S10e's side-mounted traditional fingerprint reader.

Mg.

Oct 25, 2017
They also make and sell cars in Korea, do they not? It's a big tech company and has dipped its toes in lots of markets.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I just bought a Jet 75 pet stick and eyeing the cleaning station.

phonicjoy

Banned
Jun 19, 2018
www.Samsung.com

Let's say you want a TV.

Do you want 8K or 4K?

4K? Cool - do you want a regular QLED? What size? There's everything you could want. Oh! You want something that's a little more... chic?

Would the Serif do?

Gallery-1600x1200-_0000_Serif_3B_72.jpg

No? What about the Sero?

Gallery-1600x1200-_0000_Sero_7A.jpg

Fun fact - they have NINE different models of TV that offer an 85" version.

But that's nothing - they have thirty five different cell phones, each in different colors, sizes, and storage capacities.

Here's the Galaxy XCover Pro:

PDP-GALLERY-G715-07-Lockup-1600x1200.jpg

Want headphones for your new phone? No prob; you could pick up:

- Galaxy Buds Live
- Galaxy Buds +
- Galaxy Buds+ BTS
- or any number of wired headphones

Need a $4,000 Smart Fridge... with a built-in AKG sound system?

RF22N9781SG-Gallery-4.jpg

or a machine that steams/presses your clothes for you?

Airdressors_ANewStandard_01.jpg

Do you need a Jet Bot?

Hand_Mode_PC.jpg

Ever wanted to do your laundry over WiFi?

2GDS_PC_PD_B2.jpg

Ever wanted a new AC unit for your bedroom but hate that it blows pesky air?

... or maybe, simply, you just want a monitor that you connect to your computer but also offers applications you'd typically use on your computer right in the monitor?

www.samsung.com

Smart Monitors | Desktop & All-in-One Computers | Samsung US

Samsung Smart Monitors give you the computing power you need while maximizing space. Work in 4k without a laptop or computer. Select from UHD and FHD resolution.

This website would blow minds just 15 years ago.

Those smart monitors are actually a pretty neat idea to replace some NUC's +monitors around the office here.

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
it's pretty insane. Although the margins on those industry products must be tiny.
Or maybe there's just not much prospect of explosive growth or maybe they have debt vs the massive cash reserves Apple has, the market cap is after all governed by what shareholders and buyers think about the company, not necessarily its actual size. Maybe the employee numbers would be more useful to tell how big a company is, in the terms we usually think of as size.

I mean, in terms of market cap Tesla is the biggest car manufacturer, right?

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
Or maybe there's just not much prospect of explosive growth or maybe they have debt vs the massive cash reserves Apple has, the market cap is after all governed by what shareholders and buyers think about the company, not necessarily its actual size. Maybe the employee numbers would be more useful to tell how big a company is, in the terms we usually think of as size.
Yeah it's kinda like comparing Tesla to Toyota.

jizzywinks

Oct 27, 2017
UK
If you're in London, their King's Cross experience store is actually pretty fun to explore and see some of this stuff. No cargo ships or sentry guns though.

Jonnax

Oct 26, 2017
Which is absolutely crazy when Samsung Heavy Industries and Samsung Engineering exists.
At the end of the day revenue is what makes Apple so big.
Every year people buy their new products which gave good margins for them.

Estimated total revenue in billions $ in 2019

e9sMCfz.jpg

phonicjoy

Banned
Jun 19, 2018

Or maybe I was just expressing wonder at how industrial companies can have a comparable revenue to what amounts to a phone maker.

Revenue is about equal for 2019 btw (total chaebol vs apple inc.).

Fact is, industrial contracts are very often cost+ and often have clauses reducing price over a certain number of years (because of calculated efficiency gains). These are lucrative in the aggregate, but the margins are tiny comared to 30-40% electronics margins.

Spine Crawler

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Want a car? How about a Renault Samsung!
Want Insurance? Get it from Samsung Fure and Life Insurannce!
Want a theme park? Evergreen got you covered!
Want movies? CJ got you covered!
Want dat baby shark song? Pinkfong got you covered!