• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
May 10, 2018
How would you guys compare this show to HBO's Watchmen? Does it twist the superhero genre in a similar way?

Probably gonna dive in before S2 starts!
Not really all that comparable except from the fact that they're both great shows.

The "twist" with the boys is that superheroes are mostly assholes.

I definitely recommend watching season 1, only 8 episodes and you'll be hooked and probably binge it all in a day or two.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
How would you guys compare this show to HBO's Watchmen? Does it twist the superhero genre in a similar way?

I think it's a similar level of quality, but the tone is completely different.
Watchmen is very serious and artsy (I don't mean this in a bad way as I loved the show).
Boys is extremely irreverent, playful, over the top and satirical.

Between Watchmen, Boys, Doom Patrol, Stargirl and Umbrella Academy there has never been a better period of superhero shows.

Readler

Oct 6, 2018

Unlike most shows, you'll know what it's about and be hooked after the first episode.

It doesn't twist anything though, though I dunno what you quite mean by that, but I'd argue it's the most realistic take on the whole superhero mythos currently out there, in the sense that real life superheroes wouldn't be anything like Batman and Superman :P

TheGummyBear

Jan 6, 2018
United Kingdom
That wasn't exactly the point I was getting at: I mean, you have a show that doesn't hesitate to show supers just cutting people down, that's where the thought came from.

Deep is portrayed as an insecure piece of trash, but he is never shown as wanting to maim or murder people. Quite the opposite in fact, he's the only one of The Seven to report Homelander for his murderous acts. (Which resulted in Homelander implicitly threatening to snap his neck.) He's a pathetic manbaby who abused a position of power when it presented itself to him, not a murderer.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Happy that season 2 is getting stellar reception. Feels like it could have not gone any other way considering they have things planned out for a while.

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
Thanks for the replies guys! I dove in and watched the first few episodes last night.

Definitely difficult to compare to Watchmen. This show is way more "fun".

I will say that I find Annie, Homelander and The Seven much more compelling than Hughie and The Boys so far. Love all of the corporate BS they're doing with the heroes

Readler

Oct 6, 2018
Thanks for the replies guys! I dove in and watched the first few episodes last night.

Definitely difficult to compare to Watchmen. This show is way more "fun".

I will say that I find Annie, Homelander and The Seven much more compelling than Hughie and The Boys so far. Love all of the corporate BS they're doing with the heroes
It is more fun, though I wouldn't say it's shallow either. It's pretty dark satire stuff imo.

Hughie is your normal audience stand-in (there's a TV trope for this, but I forgot it lol), so he's bound to be bland. The Boys, especially Butcher, do get a lot better though.

KingBae

Oct 28, 2017
I hardly watch any shows these days, but I picked up this one on a whim. Episode 4 was pretty wild and sold me on it! Glad to see an active OT for this. Still working my way through the first season and I hope the second season maintains this momentum.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Forgot it's coming so soon. Quite excited, season 1 was the most fun I've had with a new show in years.

May 10, 2018
Keeping this as the OT for season 2?

Can't wait and I actually don't mind the weekly episodes since there is nothing else on and this can spread out a little.

Until recently I had no idea Lamplighter had been cast and will be played by Shawn Ashmore, so I'm interested to see his dynamics with the rest of the cast.

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
It is more fun, though I wouldn't say it's shallow either. It's pretty dark satire stuff imo.

Hughie is your normal audience stand-in (there's a TV trope for this, but I forgot it lol), so he's bound to be bland. The Boys, especially Butcher, do get a lot better though.

Yep, it's definitely not shallow! The first season starts to tackle some interesting subject matter beyond just "superheroes would be assholes in real life", and it seems like season 2 is gonna double down on that.

Now that I've finished S1 I definitely agree with you that there's more to Billy than I first gave him credit for. I'm still more interested in The Seven and Annie but I can tell the show is playing the long game, which I respect.

Thanks for the recommendations guys, it's a great show! Can't wait for tomorrow

KaCo

The Wise Ones
The Fallen
May 22, 2018
Meh, weekly... but I'm still so hyped for the release tonight.

Don't think I have the patience to wait then binge.

Last edited:

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
I'm hyped for the release but goddamn I hate the weekly format, I hope the show was written with that in mind, I feel like those Apple TV+ shows are great if they weren't separated by week's. some shows are better binged

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver

Watchmen is a much more targeted and dramatic show, focused on America's racial history and law enforcement.

The Boys is much more snide and sarcastic, but it's a show about righteous anger at systemic injustice, accountability, and propagandist hero worship, largely at the hands of capitalism.

Spectromixer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Looks like they combined the 4k and SD pages for The Boys on Prime Video. I'm still waiting to see if they release the episodes early the evening before like they've done in the past with originals.

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Shit, binge watch or bust.
After I hurried to rewatch all of season 1 in two days, now I actually have to wait another month... Fuck, I hate this.

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
Oh baby I'm ready. Laser that shit into my eyeholes

tenor.gif

Saifu

Oct 27, 2017
Is there a particular reason why the drop the first 3 episodes of the season all at once??

RandomSeed

Oct 27, 2017
Looks like I need to get busy on a rewatch before I start watching season 2. I kinda like they're releasing weekly, minus the 3 to start.

Credo

Oct 25, 2017
I keep getting subtitles in a foreign language across the bottom even though they're set to be off in the Amazon Player, and it's actually kind of irritating. Other than that, I'm super excited for this to start back.