• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SupremeWu

Banned
Dec 19, 2017
Maybe I'm missing something and it's really a minor thing but a pet peeve from the show for me is a bit of contradiction at the beginning when butcher
says homelander is the only good one of the supes but he pretty much raped and killed his wife and he seems to be one of the worst lol
im guessing he was being sarcastic? But it seemed like a serious convo

I think Butcher
really wants Homelander for himself and, more to the point, at that stage he doesn't want to put all his cards on the table. They're basically indoctrinating Hughie as a civilian, so calling Superman a rapist murderer is a bit crazy sounding

Basically he was holding back like you would with a child

Chiaroscuro

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe I'm missing something and it's really a minor thing but a pet peeve from the show for me is a bit of contradiction at the beginning when butcher
says homelander is the only good one of the supes but he pretty much raped and killed his wife and he seems to be one of the worst lol

At that point he didn't need/want to reveal his reasons to go after the supes to Hughie. He was just stating that different from other supes, Homelander is a "golden boy" and do not involve himself with addictions. It is still a little weird because Black Noit would fit the same description too.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
At that point he didn't need/want to reveal his reasons to go after the supes to Hughie. He was just stating that different from other supes, Homelander is a "golden boy" and do not involve himself with addictions. It is still a little weird because Black Noit would fit the same description too.

Nobody knows anything about Black Noir and he's also ignored by everybody which is pretty funny.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
He's the only one that doesn't do that shit in front of other heroes.

Ebullientprism

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So did Homelander really
rape Butchers wife? We see her leaving his apartment sort of dressing on the way out but I dont think she looked distressed or hurt?

Deleted member 11069

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Glad this thread made me watch the show, I never loved the comic so I would have not done that (and I was pretty dissapointed with their take on Preacher).
I have no real idea what Homelander wants or really does during his day, but the show made me care enough to want to know more about these characters.

BONUS POINTS for Toronto being so super prominent in this. Especially the area where they put the Avengers tower.

TTG

Banned
Apr 16, 2019
So did Homelander really
rape Butchers wife? We see her leaving his apartment sort of dressing on the way out but I dont think she looked distressed or hurt?

That wasn't my read of it, there may be enough ambiguity for them to still go that route, but no.
Butcher's character degrades throughout the season, the final scene serves as his comeuppance as the truth hits home. There will be a bit about how she was threatened to never reach out to her family, evil guys are still evil etc. But that's it.

Frankly, it doesn't fit Homelander's character either.

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
Glad this thread made me watch the show, I never loved the comic so I would have not done that (and I was pretty dissapointed with their take on Preacher).
I have no real idea what Homelander wants or really does during his day, but the show made me care enough to want to know more about these characters.

BONUS POINTS for Toronto being so super prominent in this. Especially the area where they put the Avengers tower.

It's most Toronto I've seen in a show not set in Toronto since Orphan Black.

Burt

Fight Sephiroth or end video games
Oct 28, 2017
Is... Amazon Prime not working for anyone else? I can't watch the show, says it's unavailable, and it won't even let me go to the Prime page under my account.

sAbobo

Dec 1, 2018
Was just about to finish an episode I started earlier and got this same message and was just gonna ask as well.

Deleted member 6730

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That wasn't my read of it, there may be enough ambiguity for them to still go that route, but no.
Butcher's character degrades throughout the season, the final scene serves as his comeuppance as the truth hits home. There will be a bit about how she was threatened to never reach out to her family, evil guys are still evil etc. But that's it.

Frankly, it doesn't fit Homelander's character either.
It's also possible that Vought forced her to carry his child too considering they alluded to Homelander's failure as a person is because he was never raised by a maternal figure.

beelzebozo

Oct 26, 2017
billy rules. re: season ending

obviously we barely know her character, but i had some pretty caustic feelings for becca in that final scene.

yumms

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So how does Butcher hurt Translucent with punches and a headbutt, yet a bullet has zero effect on Translucent...?

SanwaDenshiMonster

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 11, 2019
Finished The Boys last week. How far does the series cover the comics? Is there a lot more in the comics that's been published so far?

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Finished The Boys last week. How far does the series cover the comics? Is there a lot more in the comics that's been published so far?
The consensus seems to actually be to stay away from it because the series is a far better piece of media as the adaptation is reworking a lot of stuff and de-edgelording the whole thing into something very much its own. (I have not read the comics either.)

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Gotta say the last two episodes had a lot of stuff that made me groan

them having asshole unrepentant A-Train with his leg broken in Hughie's house and not just offing him then and there, the whole Starlight and Hughie dialog was a little meh and there was more but I'm blanking on it, them letting Hughie keep his retainer and not putting all of them in prison clothes + super small guard detail when these guys figured out how to kill Translucent. I think the reason I don't like Hughie a lot is because he seems like a self-insert nice guy

Edgar's actor and everything to do with Homelander was good enough to overwrite the rest but I definitely think the season is strongest from episode 2-6.

Antony Starr and Elizabeth Shue were the best parts acting wise imo. Karl Urban was fun also.

Last edited:

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
billy rules. re: season ending

obviously we barely know her character, but i had some pretty caustic feelings for becca in that final scene.
Yeah I feel the same. No idea how they are gonna get the audience to like her character. She has so much to answer for. Her deciding to go into hiding without telling Billy what happened or ever even trying to contact him to let him know she was at the very least alive basically broke him. He is a mentally unstable mess due to that decision and it's led to ALOT of damage.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Also yes this is an actual good take on what Snyder tried to attempt to do in his DCEU movies

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Yeah I feel the same. No idea how they are gonna get the audience to like her character. She has so much to answer for. Her deciding to go into hiding without telling Billy what happened or ever even trying to contact him to let him know she was at the very least alive basically broke him. He is a mentally unstable mess due to that decision and it's led to ALOT of damage.
It's fucked up but it's either that or
she risks Homelander having a relationship with her son

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Oh right. Didn't think of that. I'm hoping we get some flashbacks that show the entire ordeal from her perspective. I think that will go a LONG way to helping people understand her side of the situation.
Also don't know why they didn't just
abort the kid lol, maybe they'll go into that as well

Maximum Spider

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Cleveland, OH
This was surprisingly great. Not quite as good as S1 Flash, S5 Arrow or S3 Daredevil but really damn good.

I'm hoping we get more backstory from some of the other characters outside of Billy, Hughie, Starlight and Homelander. This world feels oddly small IMO.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
If he's anything like his dad, they probably can't!
I had the same thought. I assume it's gonna be that the kid was already indestructible or that they wouldn't let her.
Yeah that or they were worried
it was gonna make homelander even more tilted if he found out and go on a rampage

Also when can we do unmarked spoilers. 2 weeks after it launches is the general rule right?

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Yeah that or they were worried
it was gonna make homelander even more tilted if he found out and go on a rampage

Also when can we do unmarked spoilers. 2 weeks after it launches is the general rule right?
Oh wow I didn't think of that. That is probably what happened. Combination of lab rat and hostage. We saw Homelanders reaction to the baby dying. His reaction to intentionally killing the kid would have been ballistic. The dude is psycho on his best day and is completely unstoppable. So it makes sense they would not wanna take the chance.

And yeah I have no idea when we have to stop with tags.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Binge watched this, it's been a while since I watched all of the episodes straight, I think Mindhunter was the last series I did it. Any more recommendation on Prime exclusives? I finished Goliath S1, it's great but I think I have my fill with it for a while

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Did they ever establish during the season that Starlight is
able to heal herself quickly / is extremely durable or is that just generally a supes thing for pretty much all of them in this universe? It was a little jarring when she got shot several times by Butcher with a rifle and then when she showed up again later she was perfectly fine.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
able to heal herself quickly / is extremely durable or is that just generally a supes thing for pretty much all of them in this universe? It was a little jarring when she got shot several times by Butcher with a rifle and then when she showed up again later she was perfectly fine.
Yeah I knew she was durable and would be mostly fine but not even mentioning it was weird

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Lol cmon, The Boys absolutely crushes those budget shows.

Daredevil S3 is better, the others not so much.

Yeah I knew she was durable and would be mostly fine but not even mentioning it was weird

Like halfway into the show I finally realized that all supes in the show appear to have standard superstrength and crazy durability alongside their unique abilities. That's honestly terrifying.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Daredevil S3 is better, the others not so much.

Like halfway into the show I finally realized that all supes in the show appear to have standard superstrength and crazy durability alongside their unique abilities. That's honestly terrifying.
Not really true at all though
A-Train gets his leg broken pretty easily, The Deep doesn't have any super strength iirc and then there's episode 7... probably even more examples I'm thinking of. In terms of being able to take a beating it goes Homelander> Maeve>Kimiko> Starlight>>>> everyone else

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Not really true at all though
A-Train gets his leg broken pretty easily, The Deep doesn't have any super strength iirc and then there's episode 7... probably even more examples I'm thinking of. In terms of being able to take a beating it goes Homelander> Maeve>Kimiko> Starlight>>>> everyone else

I guess, but the way he slammed Kimiko's head into the wall seemed crazy to me even taking into account his superspeed.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017

On the Wikipedia page episode synopsis it says that
Billy shot her with a bean bag gun. Non lethal.