• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
FaceHugger

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
That's hard competition he's up against every British actor in America

I think the only British actor to ever do an even halfway believable American accent was Daniel Day-Lewis in Gangs of New York, because we all have no idea what the fuck they sounded like back then but it seemed appropriate.

Wait, just remembered: the UK actors in The Wire did pretty passable jobs but they were all way too excessive. Too deliberate. If you had a curt discussion with them on a Baltimore street you probably wouldn't give it a second thought, but having a discussion for more than several minutes you;d be like "why is this guy speaking like someone pretending to be from Baltimore?".

Last edited:

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Haha at the doogie howser reference.

Also I watched half of the episodes in 1080p. Stupid amazon needs to fix this stupid thing where they have different 4K/hdr and 1080p listings for shows

fepeinado

Circumventing a ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 5, 2019
What a great and fun tv show. They surely toned down sex and violence and chances things, but I guess it suited the format

Dabanton

Oct 27, 2017
I love the comic but the toning down of certain elements is a strength.

But damn I lover every Homelander scene.

I actually worked on this production side for this show so was extra fun seeing scenes all done .

gitrektali

Feb 22, 2018
Finished it just now.

What a series. This and Doom Patrol are such amazing surprises of 2019.

Also, Homelander shits on 99 % comic book villains that have popped up in recent years.

OP
OP
FaceHugger

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Finished it just now.

What a series. This and Doom Patrol are such amazing surprises of 2019.

Also, Homelander shits on 99 % comic book villains that have popped up in recent years.

It's kind of crazy how irredeemable he is. Many writers try to at least make their villains somewhat an anti hero these days. You know, the Lex Luthor "the bad guy of the story thinks he's the good guy" dribble. This guy doesn't have a good bone in his body and the writers didn't shy away from that, and Starr appeared to know exactly what they wanted. But he didn't play it in a moustache-twirling fashion. I hope Starr gets a lot more parts in the coming years because he was fantastic.

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
Man Jack Quaid really takes after his mother. He was super charismatic in all the romance scenes.

Lee Morris

Oct 28, 2017
Probably the best show I've seen all year. Top quality and binged watched it the last 2 days.

I also thought there might have been an implacation from the recording of Becca coming out of the room with Homelander that it may have been consensual, plus the fact they were in the room for 3 hours. My girlfriend didn't get that though.

OP
OP
FaceHugger

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
End spoilers

Homelander isn't capable of regular human relationships, so I don't think the encounter between him and Butcher's wife was consensual. Seems a lot more likely something really terrible went down between them but she had to agree to hide it all and suppress the aftermath

SupremeWu

Banned
Dec 19, 2017
Probably the best show I've seen all year. Top quality and binged watched it the last 2 days.

I also thought there might have been an implacation from the recording of Becca coming out of the room with Homelander that it may have been consensual, plus the fact they were in the room for 3 hours. My girlfriend didn't get that though.

She could have looked distressed because
she just cheated on her husband

If we consider which fits what we know

1 - Becca is raising the boy and never reached out to Butcher that we know of
2 - We have no idea what Becca's motives are right now
3 - The only person that has claimed it was rape was the old lady (Voidt?) who put together the original Boys, and we also don't know her motives

I think it's intentionally up in the air what happened or why it happened

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Homelander was scarier and more menacing in that one abroad scene than Zod ever was in MoS. That serial killer smile is terrifying

It's interesting that he almost exclusively uses heat vision

Lee Morris

Oct 28, 2017
She could have looked distressed because
she just cheated on her husband

If we consider which fits what we know

1 - Becca is raising the boy and never reached out to Butcher that we know of
2 - We have no idea what Becca's motives are right now
3 - The only person that has claimed it was rape was the old lady (Voidt?) who put together the original Boys, and we also don't know her motives

I think it's intentionally up in the air what happened or why it happened

at one point Butcher told some that Homelander raped his wife. I think he was telling Huey to convince him to stay with the group. So I guess. I took it as Becca told him before she went missing.

SupremeWu

Banned
Dec 19, 2017
at one point Butcher told some that Homelander raped his wife. I think he was telling Huey to convince him to stay with the group. So I guess. I took it as Becca told him before she went missing.

Oh he definitely
has been operating on the thought that it was rape, which is why he's looking so confused at the end. I figure the old lady that put together the original group could have lied to him

Lee Morris

Oct 28, 2017
Oh he definitely
has been operating on the thought that it was rape, which is why he's looking so confused at the end. I figure the old lady that put together the original group could have lied to him
yeah I could definitely see that being the case, as Butcher seems have learned all his unethical tricks from her

Deleted member 40133

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 19, 2018
Just finished the series, question about the ending

It's definitely implied, but not completely confirmed that Homelander didn't rape Becca right? He's still a monster, but he doesn't act like someone who would understand why Billy would be so angry at him and the way the final scenes play out seem like that is what the show was going for.

I've been going back and forth on this myself. But really, he's a sociopath, he may not viewed it as that. Even though it happened that way

astro

Oct 25, 2017
That's hard competition he's up against every British actor in America
I think the only British actor to ever do an even halfway believable American accent was Daniel Day-Lewis in Gangs of New York, because we all have no idea what the fuck they sounded like back then but it seemed appropriate.

Wait, just remembered: the UK actors in The Wire did pretty passable jobs but they were all way too excessive. Too deliberate. If you had a curt discussion with them on a Baltimore street you probably wouldn't give it a second thought, but having a discussion for more than several minutes you;d be like "why is this guy speaking like someone pretending to be from Baltimore?".

Dominic West in The Wire?

luca

Oct 25, 2017
Finished Episode 1. This was so damn good, and it feels high quality. So many things I did not expect to see.

Effect

Oct 25, 2017
That was really good. I need season 2 now after how that ended. I honestly never expected to come out of this so up and positive on the show but damn. I figured they'd tone down the show compared to the comics but I didn't think they'd just veer off in their own direction while still pulling from it. This works really well. I said before I thought the original idea and overall premise and story behind The Boys was interesting. It's just how it's done in the comic that is negative.

Nov 3, 2017

6x5s1vI.gif

Soupman Prime

The Fallen
Nov 8, 2017
Boston, MA
Just finished episode 1. I think I may just binge watch. I fucking knew that shit was gonna happen.
you're trying to blackmail peeps who control the super. If you know about the secret compound V then maybe you should know about how the supes are shit people

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't even read any reviews about this. So on a scale of 1 to Garth Ennis, where does The Boys adaptation lie in terms of both being similar to the original and actually being, well good at all?

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't even read any reviews about this. So on a scale of 1 to Garth Ennis, where does The Boys adaptation lie in terms of both being similar to the original and actually being, well good at all?
The series pretty just takes the premise, world and characters of the book and do their own thing it's very different from the book and tones down the Ennis

Pandora012

Oct 25, 2017
End spoilers

Homelander isn't capable of regular human relationships, so I don't think the encounter between him and Butcher's wife was consensual. Seems a lot more likely something really terrible went down between them but she had to agree to hide it all and suppress the aftermath

Totally believe it was consensual. Homelander may not be capable of regular relationships, but he sure knows how to fake it. Remember, his whole thing is that he's acting. With only a few people that know what he's trurly like. He would rather kill someone than risk being found out. His image is the most important thing.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
The series pretty just takes the premise, world and characters of the book and do their own thing it's very different from the book and tones down the Ennis

So it got the Wanted treatment basically? Well then I guess its whether the show that came about is actually any good. I'm getting burnt out on the amount of superhero related stuff so I'm not sure I want to dive into something that doesn't really earn my time. Even some of the more popular shows on here have kind of left me cold.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
So it got the Wanted treatment basically? Well then I guess its whether the show that came about is actually any good. I'm getting burnt out on the amount of superhero related stuff so I'm not sure I want to dive into something that doesn't really earn my time. Even some of the more popular shows on here have kind of left me cold.
It's way more faithful than Wanted, that only had the basic plotlines and the main characters name and I guess the beginning.

You could at least tell The Boys was made from the comic

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
No. It's faithful to the comic, while also improving upon how the comic treated the premise, and trading gratuitous edginess for effective drama and nuance