• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
kyoZRzL.gif

Time flies huh. Still such a fantastic show even now.

Came upon this article celebrating the show and going into two of the most important episodes in the series, "The Storm" and "The Blue Spirit" which really cemented the series as something truly special.

There were subtle bits of more involved character writing nestled within the early fantasy-adventure hijinks of Avatar: The Last Airbender, which celebrates the 15th anniversary of its debut today. The carefree Aang, the prophesied Avatar who had been missing for 100 years, returns to the world after having been frozen in ice and finds it totally, devastatingly changed. And his two eventual friends who discovered him, brother and sister duo Katara and Sokka, are victims of war, their mother killed in a village raid by the Fire Nation and their father off to fight in the war. The show often saw the main trio running into people made refugees by the war, or who had suffered at the hands of the Fire Nation. But the darker elements of the series could be easily brushed past, and often were. It takes until the 12th and 13th episodes of season 1, a pseudo two-parter titled "The Storm" and "The Blue Spirit," that we see the potential for greatness in Avatar: The Last Airbender.

"The Storm" and "The Blue Spirit" aren't written as a two-parter, even though the events of "The Storm" lead straight into the inciting incident of "The Blue Spirit." But the two perfectly complement each other in what they achieve and how they play out. Both episodes are pretty slim on plot and barely feature the main trio together, instead digging deep into nuances and parallels of the show's main foils: Aang and the villainous Zuko.

With "The Storm," we learn that Aang isn't as heroic or pure-intentioned as we thought, nor is Zuko as much the buffoonish villain as presented (this episode also marks the clear starting point for Zuko's ascent to tragic antihero). They're opposing revelations that play out elegantly over the course of the episode, whose main story arc is, again, pretty barebones. Aang swoops in to save Sokka and the fisherman, briefly encountering Zuko, who instead of chasing his target, opts to bring his men to safety by sailing into the heart of the storm. It's apt that the writers chose to frame their stormiest revelations about the show's two main foils in an episode titled "The Storm" — the new insights into these characters, and the speed at which we come to accept them, are awe-inspiring.

"The Blue Spirit" is kind of a strange, low-key episode for the most part, with Aang's central mission being to gather frozen frogs as the remedy for his friends, his capture and eventual rescue appearing to be more of an annoyance to him. But its intentionally unsatisfying ending is what brings it all home — with the new character revelations and the subtle shifting of the status quo all still swirling around the characters as they ponder their separate fates and the seemingly haphazard circumstances that brought them here.

More in the article

www.slashfilm.com

The Two Episodes That Transformed 'Avatar: The Last Airbender' From A Good Show Into A Great One - SlashFilm

On its 15th anniversary, we look at how Storm and The Blue Spirit mark the Avatar The Last Airbender turning point when the series went from good to great.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was a kid watching Nickelodeon when this first episode came on. I didn't intend to watch it but nothing else was on so I did. I had no idea how much this show would come to mean to me. It formed a huge part of my teenage years and my introduction to online fandom.

Kor of Memory

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
My wife and I just started watching it again for probably the 6th time total.

We love it, as you can probably tell from my Avatar (heh, puns).

Also, from out Tattoos:
o62BqOT.jpg

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Still peerless insofar as western animation is concerned. One of the best titles I have seen, and perhaps it's even more amazing in retrospect given it aired on Nickelodeon, a channel not known for really mature themes.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Fuck me, I'm old.

Was my favorite "anime" behind Teen Titans. Yeah, I know what I said, do something about it.

Trago

Oct 25, 2017
STILL the greatest American made cartoon series of all time, and I'll fight anyone on that.

I have the complete series blu ray, and I'll take a watch from time to time for inspiration.

Western animation needs to step it up honestly. This show set the bar.

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
Watched the premiere in 8th grade, and it's still my favorite TV to this day. Everything is just so quality.

My partner recently gifted me the new action figures. It's so nice to finally have a Katara figure. <3

Oct 25, 2017
But how long has it been since Shyamalan's Last Airbender

More seriously I've never seen this show but I recently bought the series and will being watching it shortly

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Won't lie, I hated the first few episodes back then (they're really rough) and it took me word of mouth to get me back on.

But when it did. 😩 👍

The final episodes are one of my favourite animated things ever.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
just a reminder for those who want to rewatch it. There exists a version of the show called Avatar Extras which basically does pop up video style factoids across the episodes giving you like 40-120 bits of extra information each episode.

it's available for purchase digitally on most stores but sadly has never been released physically.

example of the listing of the first season

Vudu - Browse

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
yep this one hits hard. I remember watching the first couple of episodes. Didn't get hooked until the later half of S2. I have yet to watch the whole thing from start to finish.

Tater

Oct 30, 2017
Watched this show for the first time with my son a couple of years ago, it was an instant classic in our house.

IMHO, one of the hardest things to do in a "kids show" (I know, I know, but it *is* rated TV-Y7) is to deal with ambiguous characters and nuanced topics without feeling like they're talking down to the audience. Avatar nailed it, the Iroh bit in "Tales from Ba Sing Se" still sits with me and my son today.

But we also liked Korra as well, so 🤷‍♂️

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
More seriously I've never seen this show but I recently bought the series and will being watching it shortly
Should make an LTTP thread when you do! One of my favorite things is living vicariously through people watching it for the first time. :P

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Such a perfect show. Loved it when it first aired as a kid and rewatched it all recently and appreciated it even more.

CDX

Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty sure I watched the premiere.

I can't remember what sort of marketing campaign it had, so I'm not sure exactly how I found out about it, because I wasn't Nickelodeon watcher anymore at the time. But I'm so glad I watched it right from the start. It's really one of the best TV shows ever.

Also, I can't believe it's been 15 years already, it doesn't feel that long ago to me.

Cruxist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Call me when it's the 15th anniversary of the gorge episode that Nick replayed 30 times a day for 4 years straight.

Rogue Blue

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Kinda OT, but who would've thought the director of this episode would go on to be one of the shepherds of one of the biggest franchises of all time and would end up doing things like Mandalorian.

Happy birthday Avatar. You will stay in my heart until the end of my days.

Like leaves from the vine...

I'M NOT CRYING IT'S JUST THE ONIONS

Oct 26, 2017
It wasn't until my buddy got me the whole lot on DVD that I was able to actually properly watch it all chronologically. Zuko's character arc is one of the est in fiction, even at the start he's not just bad for the sake of it, it's understandable why he's the way he is.
I actually liked Korra better than most seem to but I feel the biggest difference is the overall story structure. Avatar has a consistent narrative but still manages have plenty of stand out individual episodes with their own self contained story.

Deleted member 52442

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
Remember watching the premiere. Had no idea what I was getting into, but damn this show is great.

Also watched the finale with my cousins, it was so funny because we went from not knowing we all watched the show to "wait wtf the finale is happening now?" so we all watched it. I think the final four episodes were airing at the same time?

petethepanda

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
chicago
Just finished it for the first time a few days ago, after years and years of multiple people telling me I'd love it. They weren't wrong.

Nisaba

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
I still get speechless sometimes when I rewatch it thinking, "They really did this."

I love it so much <3

Deleted member 6173

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I loved the show, but I thought Season 3 was weak and hated the finale. Not only that, but the more I think about Uncle Iroh the more of an asshole I think he is. The guy was a warmonger that only changed after he was personally affected by the death of his son.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I loved the show, but I thought Season 3 was weak and hated the finale. Not only that, but the more I think about Uncle Iroh the more of an asshole I think he is. The guy was a warmonger that only changed after he was personally affected by the death of his son.
I guess perspective is everything. I don't recall ever seeing anything other than his history of being a brilliant war general who was really driven for power and was the one originally orchestrating the attack against Ba Sing Se which got his son killed and ultimately destroyed him and lead to him losing his position as the next fire lord, his emotional journey and eventually to the wise Iroh we grew to see in the show. It wasnt like his personality had a 180 either considering we see him a flashback of him with his son playing around. The fire nation itself was on a conquest and he was the next fire lord. He was described as wise and powerful not necessarily ruthless from all I remember.

And to be honest even if he was a 'warmonger', it makes the character all the more interesting. Humans arent perfect creatures by any means. Normally former enemies who change their ways tend to be among the more beloved characters in fiction. Hell, Zuko is basically going through this journey in the show itself and is most definitely among the more beloved characters.

Deleted member 52442

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 24, 2019

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
That is certainly a take

Starphanluke

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 15, 2017
Easily in my top 3 favorite shows of all time. Actually just finished a rewatch. I grew up on the show and love it so, so dearly.

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Damn I remember watching the premiere. Hell I remember watching the trailer for the show that had Aang and Zuko fighting on some platforms while that huge ass snake monster from the pass was trying to kill them or something and then that never making it into the show and me thinking I was just remembering shit wrong or something. Shit is wild.

The show is amazing, still one of my favorite animated shows of all time. Also, Airbending is the best and most deadly element as clearly is shown in Korra. It's no wonder they had to make the Air Nomads the peaceful ones otherwise they would be fucking broken.