• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

nampad

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is good news. Got my 2TB upgrade for the PS5 already though and just lucked out on a cheap 1 TB card for my Series S.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
And the whole proprietary vs off the shelf as far as price...many of us kept saying this for the past 2 years because we knew prices would drop. It is what it is. But off the shelf will always be a better price.

Those that also have a PC, might be a good time to get a mobo with NVMe slots if you dont have them already. I stuck 2 drives inside my PC...yes...I bought so many drives I have extra, lol. And plan to give another one to a relative. I'll have to be the one to install it in their PS5 tho.
Yep pretty much playing out like we said from the beginning. Off the shelf is always gonna be the best price/performance you can get out the gate and long term.
Mine was free thanks to MS Rewards.
What does that remotely have to do with them saying it's expensive and rarely goes on sale?

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Sony made a smart call to be patient and implement an open storage solution. I think they've learned their lesson from previous hardware.

I think I'm going to wait until 2TB gets a tiny bit cheaper. As tempting as the 1TB prices are, I feel like 2TB will really let me keep a lot of games in rotation. Especially the live service stuff which tends to be huge in size and you may just want to hop in with friends on a moments notice.

Honestly, they've been using off the shelf for home consoles since it became available for home consoles: PS2, PS3, PS4.

Handhelds is where they dropped the ball.

Going to pick up a 2Tb drive in the next few months I think. No issues deleting games but there are now a few "stay installed" games I have that is pushing it now.
I thought adding 1TB was gonna be enough, but nope. I now have a 2TB, with 1.3TB used up so far. Some I can delete....relatives downloaded games I dont normally play anymore.

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, they've been using off the shelf for home consoles since it became available for home consoles: PS2, PS3, PS4.

Handhelds is where they dropped the ball.

I thought adding 1TB was gonna be enough, but nope. I now have a 2TB, with 1.3TB used up so far. Some I can delete....relatives downloaded games I dont normally play anymore.
How many games are you playing at a time on it?=O

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
WTF are you even on about? He asked about pricing for Xbox hard drives. Those obviously won't fall given they're proprietary, but there's alternatives some people don't know about. I shared one. Get a grip.
They asked if it ever went on sale. That is not remotely a viable way to do for the general public. Honestly it's such a ridiculous premise I'm shocked anyone would suggest that as "viable".

bitcloudrzr

May 31, 2018
WTF are you even on about? He asked about pricing for Xbox hard drives. Those obviously won't fall given they're proprietary, but there's alternatives some people don't know about. I shared one. Get a grip.
Was there any information in your original reply about how it was a viable alternative besides saying "got mine"?

May 14, 2021
They asked if it ever went on sale. That is not remotely a viable way to do for the general public. Honestly it's such a ridiculous premise I'm shocked anyone would suggest that as "viable".
I'm the general public. MS Rewards is open to the general public. There's a whole thread on era, Reddit, etc where people discuss all the things they get cheap or free, including consoles because of how viable MSRewards is for them. It beats paying MS' stupid pricing.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
I'm the general public. MS Rewards is open to the general public. There's a whole thread on era, Reddit, etc where people discuss all the things they get cheap or free, including consoles because of how viable MSRewards is for them. It beats paying MS' stupid pricing.
Okay. Jump through hoops for 139,000 to 219,000 points.

Teamocil

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah it's great. All of my machines (PCs, Consoles, Home Automation Server) are fully SSD now. The only thing that isn't is my media server, since HDDs are better suited for that. But if it ever becomes financially/technically feasible to switch over from HDD to SSD on a server I'd likely do so just for the energy savings.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
How many games are you playing at a time on it?=O

lol, its just about the convenience of not having to redownload games. Especially when friends, family come over and wanna play something I usually dont have installed.

Was there any information in your original reply about how it was a viable alternative besides saying "got mine"?

Okay. Jump through hoops for 139,000 to 219,000 points.
Exactly.

I have MS points...and have no idea how many I have or what I can get. I dont do enough to even stack MS points on a regular basis.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
When can I get anything other than that Seagate one for the Series X.

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
lol, its just about the convenience of not having to redownload games. Especially when friends, family come over and wanna play something I usually dont have installed.
That's what I use cold storage for!=p But yeah that does make sense for what you do which is cool.

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
Oh shit, this is good to know. Upgrading my MoBo soon and going to replace my SATA data drive SSD with an NVME drive
Yeah I have a 500GB Nvme but it's for the other PC and would want either a 1TB or 2TB Gen 3 Nvme. I honestly wonder if Gen 4 will even be worth it over Gen 3 because if it's just a few seconds I would just stick with Gen 3.

UltimateHigh

Oct 25, 2017
Microsoft's gotta figure their shit out with their propriety SSD pricing. It looks ridiculous at this point.

Also what happened to the "other partners" that they talked about years ago? Nearly 2 years into the generation and Seagate is still the only option.

got mine off eBay for $140 unopened. gotta go that route if you want a deal. I've seen cheaper on there.

May 14, 2021
got mine off eBay for $140 unopened. gotta go that route if you want a deal. I've seen cheaper on there.
Another viable alternative with MS hardware is to buy MS credit when it's 20 percent off. 20 percent isn't a huge savings, but it beats MSRP. Combine it with credit accrued via Rewards and now we're talking big savings for little effort. Allowing store credit to be spent on hardware was a nice change. Apple did the same and it makes a big difference buying their stuff as well.

SJPN

Oct 27, 2017
MS knocked it out of the park with their Series hardware, with the glaring exception of their storage expansion. It was always doomed to be expensive and not track with regular SSD prices as it was proprietary.

When I was struggling to find an XSX in stock early last year, I was so close to getting a Series S instead. Until I saw the price of the MS storage cards. Series S + 1TB was the same price as XSX. Nuts.

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
I've started trying to gather rewards points again and the Bing search bar is driving me crazy. It just keeps randomly unfocusing as I am typing. It even loses focus depending on how I highlight text on the text input with my mouse.

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
I just bought a 1TB 980 for about $98, which I thought was a pretty good price. I remember when the price was much higher a year or so ago. Had I seen the pro, I might have opted for it if it works with my new laptop. But I think I'll be cool with the regular 980.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
Is the new sk Hynix the fastest ssd im eyeing it to use on my first ever pc build till 4tb drops in price then I will replace it and put the 2tb in my ps5
Its damn near the best at the moment, when it comes to ssds the difference between write speeds between two drives doesn't always tell the full picture even though its usually the thing most advertised because its the largest number, you want to look at read speeds and even more importantly random read and write iops, as I understand it, games and even general daily computing for the average user is more about how fast a drive handles lots of small files at once and sustained and iops are the best gauge we have as buyers to understanding which drive is faster.

For example the newest sk hynix drives do 1.4 million random iops and the 980 pros do 1 million, so while both are fast as shit if you really want the best then right now not many products are topping that 1.4.

All that crap said, im not Anandtech, always look at drive reviews done by pros.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
They really do, it's giving Vita memory card vibes which is not good.

And, y'know, Xbox 360 hard drives. They're the main reason I never trusted the stuff about how they were totally going to have different manufacturing partners and also totally going to drop in price just as much as third-party SSDs.

Sony's system isn't perfect though - one thing I'd actually love to see them add is a feature where, if an SSD doesn't pass muster for playing PS5 games on directly, you can use it as cold storage for PS5 games and play PS4 games off it. Same functions as an external. Some people actually already buy external SSDs for that, and this solution would be cheaper, faster and wouldn't take up a USB port.

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
Exhibit A:

SAMSUNG 980 PRO SSD 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe Gen 4 Gaming M.2 Internal Solid State Hard Drive Memory Card, Maximum Speed, Thermal Control, MZ-V8P1T0B https://a.co/d/b62J1b4

$119 for a 1TB Sammy without a heatsink.

SSD's are going in and out of stock on Amazon left and right. Sales pricing hit before Amazon Prime Day and it was glorious. Amazon Prime Day pricing was nuts and now we are seeing the fallout. New prices for current drives are changing all across the board and gamers are snatching them up now that the pricing bubble has burst!

The pandemic related supply chain crisis kept prices artificially inflated.

Keep your eyes peeled as several drives have dropped on Amazon and Best Buy only to go out of stock quickly and then return with a different price. Overall, prices are still pretty low across the board but absolutely stupid prices temporarily pop up. Best Buy had a pricing error on a 4TB Firecuda for $299 that was quickly taken down after people managed to snag some.

My recommendation for a heatsink:

GRAUGEAR PS5 M.2 2280 NVMe SSD Heatsink with Mesh Metal Heat Dissipation Dust Filter Cover for Expansion Slot, Copper Heat Pipe and Aluminum Fin for Playstation 5 SSD NVMe PCIe 4.0 Storage[G-PS5HS03] https://a.co/d/15pB7g9
4tb ssd for $300? Damn wish I knew about that.