• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Avik-G

alt account
Banned
Jul 27, 2021
I need Din to get the spaceship equivalent of a soccer mom van again. he can use the midlife crisis sports car for chasing down bad guys and bringing them back to the main ship. how is he supposed to teach Grogu electrics and eat soup with his son if they're in separate pod things. where is the baby going to SLEEP. sitting upright in his pod?? he can't have his little hammock above Din's bed like this. where does Din sleep and cook? is he supposed to eat out every night? on his budget?? it don't make cents luv xx

I think you are probably kidding but those are actual serious concerns of mine. Bring back a proper space ship van. Not this ferrari nonsense. :D

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Who taught Luke fencing anyway
He had been in multiple lightsaber fights before fighting Vader in between ANH and ESB.

Against a stormtrooper that wielded a lightsaber.

clzzqgar4ec21.jpg

6209957-1615680987-RCO02.jpg

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I do think it's fair to point out that the Naboo Starfighter (cool as it might be) doesn't actually... do what Mando needs it to do, as a bounty hunter. Like, where the fuck is he gonna stick somebody he's transporting between star systems? Just gonna carbonite them and strap them to the top? Feels like a PITA.

Kadey

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Southeastern PA
So someone at work was like they think Mando will be the Mando Jedi and not Grogu. Grogu will somehow train him in the way of the force and Mando will eventually wield the darksaber properly, etc, etc.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So someone at work was like they think Mando will be the Mando Jedi and not Grogu. Grogu will somehow train him in the way of the force and Mando will eventually wield the darksaber properly, etc, etc.

Uh oh, bad things happen to mentors in Star Wars.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Yea so in between ANH and ESB Luke got captured and was put into an arena fight with someone who just so happened to be an undercover stormtrooper who wielded a lightsaber. Who was tasked with training Luke for the death battle as he was the "gamemaster." So he trained Luke and also made Luke fight magna guards.

They would meet a couple more times before he was eaten by worms on Crait.
latest

So yea he directly and indirectly taught Luke how to fight with a saber. The Disney SW comics do a LOT of legwork to explain how Luke changed so much in between movies.

Last edited:

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Just watched ep1.

Feels like the current-timeline was added later on to pad the episode. Would have preferred they just stick to the sand people plot for now. In the current timeline, I feel the story is on a bad start. You can't just sit in Jabba's old place and expect people to pay you tribute, you need muscles, and he has none. He can't seriously walk into some bar and expect to get paid, so the premise starts off really poorly. This should be a rags to riches type of plot, where the first thing he would have done is go out and maybe reach out to his sand people buddies and maybe call on an old rival bounty hunter for an offer or something like that and start from there to climb up and get respect.

We'll see how it goes in ep2.

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Ep2
Cool that Hutts come to claim the place, but Boba saying it's his doesn't make sense, it's not earned. It would have been a nice turn of the plot much later on in this season or for the start of a second season, after he made it on top. So when he says it's his, I'm like "Nah, you didn't do shit yet." Also, there's no way those guys can carry those two Hutts in a litter. Having them show up in a big pimped out crimelord floating platform with some dancers and musicians and body guards would have been better.

Kid tusken raider should have lost his parent to the train attack to echo Boba's own loss. Boba should have been trying to just get the hell out of there until then, which is what would have made him stay to help out.

Train sequence was fun.

It feels like his stint in Mando S2 somehow screwed up the timeline, as if he should have already managed to become the respected daimyo before ending up in Mando S2, which would have just been him getting his armor back. So now they have this weird thing of him getting the respect of the sand people specifically, rather than more than just them, and having nothing when he claims he's the daimyo. In the present timeline his whole crew should have started off as at least the tusken raiders.

The tree, Boba is going to become The Three Eye Crow? And bring water back to Tatooine world like a Mad Max plot? Imagine if he ends up with force powers one day...

I'm still annoyed he doesn't have a white robe, I want the original color palette back.

Overall it was a great episode. I also think it's really nicely shot.

Ep 3
It feels like the past and current timeline were written by different folks who didn't talk to each other.

The 80s-rebel-teenager-biker-gang would fit on a Coruscant plot, not on Tatooine. The chase scene was weird, like it was in slow-motion. And the Tusken raiders got wrecked already? Feels wrong again. And Boba burned his stick? Didn't he have it in Mando S2?

Pretty boring ep.

Ep 4
Again, this shows how if they had kept the timeline linear instead of jumping back and forth it would have been better. Seeing Jabba's palace again for the first time could have been really neat, especially as an infiltration mission. But it should have kept the feel of Jabba's days, with all kinds of creatures and seedy characters, but with Bib being over his head with it all and trying to make sense of the debts and contracts and being paranoid over getting betrayed, and this would have laid some of the groundwork needed to justify Boba managing to take over.

Boba's motivations are poor, they really should have had him want to go back to his bounty hunting job. It doesn't feel right for his character to want out with the little that actually happened. It should result instead from him realizing he can take over Bib's place and do better than him, as it offers more money, more power, and ultimately gives him a chance to secure a future for the kid and his people, something no one did for him, so instead of leaving and even leave Fennec behind he decides to stay. This would have also been the perfect opportunity for Boba to rename his ship, as he's no longer "a slave" to his old job, he's free and made the place his home.

Fennec should have been given an actual backstory through Boba's plot, something tying her up to Bib, like in debt to him or something, which could have served as a way to get into the infiltration plot.

The cybernetic doc and the teenagers once again felt like it belonged in a Coruscant-type of environment, like in its slums or some such. Really can't figure why they forced those kids in.

Also, years??? I thought he was in the Sarlac for a day or something, and that this was set right after. If they needed multiple years to align the timeline they had the opportunity with his time with the Tusken raiders. Also, it feels really dumb for Boba to look for his armor in the sarlac, didn't he come out of it wearing it? He should remember that. Overall, completely pointless bit of plot, no idea why they added that other than for trailers or something.

Ep5
Overall the series is really well shot, beautiful imagery, and both Boba and Mando's armor just makes the image pop.

So Mando is going back to his old days now that he separated from Grogu. This would be a great opportunity to tie into Boba's plot, as Boba is "building himself a home", having ditched bounty hunting, and a home for his new-found people, but they already missed their opportunity on Boba's side. Really would make perfect sense, maybe it's where it's going.

Also I keep seeing how much D&D from AGOT fame influenced Star Wars, and even if I have no proof I am sure of it. When they were brought in to do what they did with AGOT, their ideas were probably to introduce the notion of "families", or "houses", in Star Wars. This likely led to interest in focusing on whatever clans could expanded on, such as Mandalore, the Hutts, and yes, Palpatine. Hence why Palpatine ended up with a first name; to make House Palpatine, and why the last movie was "Rise of Skywalker", to create a House Skywalker, even if Rey herself wasn't one by blood. D&D would turn Star Wars into a world about families and clans and houses. Boba Fett becoming a crime lord fits into that objective.

I like how this episode could have easily been trimmed to 30mins but they gave it its time.

Ep6
Oh come on Luke would build the place by using the force. Luke's voice is fine.

And yep, backs up what I said above, House Yoda. "Old friend of the family".

I like how Star Wars is like: "Yep, we're taking the Spice. Come at us."

Angel Eyes is neat.

Ep7
Who is one-eyed-teenager's barber on Tatooine?

Yep definitely should have had S1 be about Boba taking over Bib's, or half of the season be that, and then team up with the Hutt cousins to fight against the Spice gang. "No dope." type of agreement.

Wait did they leave R2 on Tatooine???

Last edited:

endlessflood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Australia (GMT+10)
I need Din to get the spaceship equivalent of a soccer mom van again. he can use the midlife crisis sports car for chasing down bad guys and bringing them back to the main ship. how is he supposed to teach Grogu electrics and eat soup with his son if they're in separate pod things. where is the baby going to SLEEP. sitting upright in his pod?? he can't have his little hammock above Din's bed like this. where does Din sleep and cook? is he supposed to eat out every night? on his budget?? it don't make cents luv xx
I guess the Starfighter exists only for Din's trip in search of Mando Spring Water™. After that I suspect he'll either not go back to bounty hunting, or he'll pick up a new ship.

Justin Bailey

BackOnline
Oct 28, 2017
I was worried about this show from the slow start and a few so-so episodes, but they stuck the landing. Although I don't care to see much more about Robert Fett. Mando is the new hotness.

Nov 27, 2017
California
Wonder if the higher ups at Disney are going to push for a Mando movie
Mando literally saved Star Wars post rise of skywalker, you know it's true

Save Boba for that too

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
I guess the Starfighter exists only for Din's trip in search of Mando Spring Water™. After that I suspect he'll either not go back to bounty hunting, or he'll pick up a new ship.

I'm hoping he gets a larger ship that he can fit the N1 inside of, so he'll have a bulky frighter to ferry people and stuff around in and a quick fighter for combat and traveling.

m_shortpants

Oct 25, 2017
Finally watched the finale. It was directed so bad, holy shit. Looked like power rangers half the time. Just so bad. Huge step down from the Mando episodes.

Staal

Oct 27, 2017
Liked the final, overall a bit meh on this series.
There doesn't really need to be a second season.

Tremorah

Dec 3, 2018
I chuckled in the finale when Boba screams something about droids destroying the city, then yolos to get a rankor that destroys the city

Mando saved this series, it felt kinda pointless

Sec0nd

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
What a weird ass show this was. I was super confused why this was being made, and after watching it I'm pretty sure the creators didn't know why they were creating this either.

They created Mando to do the whole Boba Fett thing, and it worked really well. And then they try to do the Boba Fett thing with actual Boba anyway. Really fucking weird. And the first couple of episodes with him are dreadfully boring. There is some cool stuff in there, but it's just not fun. And with all respect to the actor, he really can't carry a show like this.

And then suddenly the show turns into Mando S03, and it becomes hella fun. But it further emphasized the question why this was a Boba show in the first place. It just feels like a show ordered by executives and creatives did their best to do something with it. I have no idea why they thought thye needed to make this. I also don't know why they hell Boba wanted to be Daimyo, and I don't think he knows either. Such a confusing mess.

Also, the entire show and ending in specific is pretty much just high quality fan fiction at this point. We've got Boba Fett taking the place of Jaba the Hutt and he's riding a Rancor to kill some droids while Mando is hacking away with some weird ass lightsaber. I'm pretty sure I've seen fan art like that when I was in high school. But I didn't really mind it as it was honestly pretty fun.

Cheerilee

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I also don't know why they hell Boba wanted to be Daimyo, and I don't think he knows either. Such a confusing mess.
Jango Fett was a mercenary/bounty hunter who worked for Count Dooku, until the Jedi came along and chopped his head off for the crime of being the hired muscle, while Boba could do nothing more than watch.

Then a directionless child Boba inherited his father's ship and armor, and he fell in with bad people like Cad Bane who taught him how to live and how to become a mercenary/bounty hunter just like his father was.

While in the employ of Jabba the Hutt, a Jedi came along to kill Jabba, and Boba did his mercenary job properly and tried to stop the Jedi, but Boba was knocked into the Sarlacc Pit and considered dead.

Boba dragged himself out of the pit (thanks to his armor), but he got acid burns, and Jawas stole his armor, and the Tuskans captured him. He eventually formed a bond with the Tuskans, and learned from them, and grew as a person, and tried to repay them by turning them into a modern army and giving them military victory, but all he succeeded in doing was putting a target on their backs and getting them killed.

Then he finds Fennec Shand, a mercanary/assassin who Boba knows by reputation, and she's been shot in the gut (reputed to be one of the slowest, most painful ways to die) and left for dead. He considers how it's the fate of mercenaries (his father, himself, her) to be bought and used and thrown away, so he saves her, and then recruits her, to help him get his father's ship and armor back, and then to help him create a better world where mercenaries don't die pointless deaths.

Bib Fortuna had taken Jabba's place as the local crime lord, and Boba knew that Fortuna was nothing compared to Jabba, so Boba killed him and took his place, as a shortcut to power.

When faced with the Gammorean guards who had loyally served Jabba and then Fortuna, Boba spared them and then recruited them, because Boba doesn't like killing mercs who were just doing their jobs. The Fetts sent Krrsantan (the Wookie) to kill Boba, and when Krrsantan failed, Boba spared him, and then recruited him, because Boba recognized that Krrsantan was just another merc trying to do his job.

Cad Bane eventually shows up, because he's heard that Boba isn't killing people anymore, and with his psychotic version of "caring" he wants to set the little boy Boba who he had once taught back on the "correct" path of the mercenary (or just to kill him for being "wrong"), which is to kill anyone and everyone for the highest bidder, including rival mercs. Boba manages to beat and kill his terrible teacher.

I think it's a good idea, it just wasn't executed all that well.

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Jango Fett was a mercenary/bounty hunter who worked for Count Dooku, until the Jedi came along and chopped his head off for the crime of being the hired muscle, while Boba could do nothing more than watch.

Then a directionless child Boba inherited his father's ship and armor, and he fell in with bad people like Cad Bane who taught him how to live and how to become a mercenary/bounty hunter just like his father was.

While in the employ of Jabba the Hutt, a Jedi came along to kill Jabba, and Boba did his mercenary job properly and tried to stop the Jedi, but Boba was knocked into the Sarlacc Pit and considered dead.

Boba dragged himself out of the pit (thanks to his armor), but he got acid burns, and Jawas stole his armor, and the Tuskans captured him. He eventually formed a bond with the Tuskans, and learned from them, and grew as a person, and tried to repay them by turning them into a modern army and giving them military victory, but all he succeeded in doing was putting a target on their backs and getting them killed.

Then he finds Fennec Shand, a mercanary/assassin who Boba knows by reputation, and she's been shot in the gut (reputed to be one of the slowest, most painful ways to die) and left for dead. He considers how it's the fate of mercenaries (his father, himself, her) to be bought and used and thrown away, so he saves her, and then recruits her, to help him get his father's ship and armor back, and then to help him create a better world where mercenaries don't die pointless deaths.

Bib Fortuna had taken Jabba's place as the local crime lord, and Boba knew that Fortuna was nothing compared to Jabba, so Boba killed him and took his place, as a shortcut to power.

When faced with the Gammorean guards who had loyally served Jabba and then Fortuna, Boba spared them and then recruited them, because Boba doesn't like killing mercs who were just doing their jobs. The Fetts sent Krrsantan (the Wookie) to kill Boba, and when Krrsantan failed, Boba spared him, and then recruited him, because Boba recognized that Krrsantan was just another merc trying to do his job.

Cad Bane eventually shows up, because he's heard that Boba isn't killing people anymore, and with his psychotic version of "caring" he wants to set the little boy Boba who he had once taught back on the "correct" path of the mercenary (or just to kill him for being "wrong"), which is to kill anyone and everyone for the highest bidder, including rival mercs. Boba manages to beat and kill his terrible teacher.

So Boba Fett was supposed to be Big Boss.

They really failed making what could have been a neat story.

Sec0nd

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

Good write up, but for me personally it still doesn't make sense why he wants to be the Daimyo. He gets the perfect out, people think he's dead and he's been given a new life with the Tuskans that is obviously rudely cut short. I still don't understand the leap from there to being the local crime boss. Especially because he is neither a good guy or a bad guy. He is still trying to somehow project a sense of power and fear while at the same time sort of being just. No wonder nobody takes him seriously and all the other groups turn against him, I can't take him seriously either.

On paper the story could make sense. Again, I've probably seen some dope ass fan art of Boba sitting on Jabba's throne when I was in highschool. And with all the stuff we imagined about this dope ass bounty hunter that was in the movies for about 5 minutes it could make total sense. But with the character development they give him in this show - him benig a bad ass good guy criminal, or something? - it's just confusing as heck why he does what he does.

Danby

One Winged Slayer
Oct 7, 2020

On the topic of execution, if they wanted the weight of killing Cad Bane mean more, they could have introduced him earlier. It might have been interesting to see some scenes with young Boba in live action (aside from his watching his dad fly away).

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
The armories of the galaxy clearly still haven't been able to develop guidance systems that make their droids shoot for shit.

Oct 27, 2017
The armories of the galaxy clearly still haven't been able to develop guidance systems that make their droids shoot for shit.
In the universe it doesn't make sense at all but there's a way to mask that better with good choreography.

I used to like Robert Rodriguez but honestly even looking back his action scenes haven't necessarily aged well as far as a lot of the choreography goes. It was abysmal here though, compare the action scene from the Bryce Dallas Howard episode to the finale and it's a night and day difference.

Having two characters who use jet packs briefly doing a cool action scene before immediately standing out in the open and just getting shot from every direction before cowering behind a car with like 10 other people firing at bad guy standing out in the open; and then having crowds of like 15 or 20 people run in a cluster down the middle of the street while a big robot apparently can't hit shit. Absolutely awful.

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
I guess at least they disabled the comic relief programming for this one.
But their timing was impeccable to blow up the car just as everyone had ceased hiding behind it. 🤷🏻‍♀️

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Finally saw the last 4 eps. The only good episode in this series was ep 5. The finale was fucking awful. Ran on way too long, horrible choreography, and just boring.

Antoo

May 1, 2019
the behind the scenes documentary is out for this show and its pretty good

definitely helps you understand the creative vision a lot more even if they really failed at getting their ideas across

robert rodriguez continues to be a cool as hell dude and i loved seeing his dedication when it comes to making mock home videos to get across his ideas

I still felt the dude got dealt a bad hand with favreau's scripts

smisk

Oct 27, 2017
Just watched the BTS documentary too, it's actually really good, it's clear a lot of craft (and money) went into this show, it's too bad the script was so sloppy.
There's one section where they were talking about the Rancor and somebody says "John was looking for a way bring the Rancor back", which pretty much exemplifies my problems with Favreau's storytelling.. It almost feels like he has the goal of bringing things in for fan service reasons and then retroactively bends the story around it, rather than creating a character arc and letting things progress logically.

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017
Just watched the BTS documentary too, it's actually really good, it's clear a lot of craft (and money) went into this show, it's too bad the script was so sloppy.
There's one section where they were talking about the Rancor and somebody says "John was looking for a way bring the Rancor back", which pretty much exemplifies my problems with Favreau's storytelling.. It almost feels like he has the goal of bringing things in for fan service reasons and then retroactively bends the story around it, rather than creating a character arc and letting things progress logically.
They needs to expand their search for directors/writers to include non SW fanboys tbh. Gilroy not being a fan of SW is probably the reason why Andor looks so fresh.

Ishmael

Oct 27, 2017

That's ultimately my view on the show as well; a lot of good ideas that weren't presented particularly well. The idea that Boba creates a community for drifters like himself is an interesting direction to go in, and feels consistent with the snippets of character growth for Boba we've seen in Clone Wars and other places over the years. Much like how Mando and Grogu have become a family, the Star Wars shows seem to emphasize characters growing through personal bonds. At least it's something different to do with the franchise instead of having the characters fight a space wizard yet again.

Oh, and I like the idea that out of all the characters from the original movies, one of the few to get a happy ending post-RotJ is Boba Fett.

MarcelloF

Dec 9, 2020
Yeah, I think the show had some good ideas for Boba as a character, but the show was dragged down by Favreau's writing, Rodriguez's direction and them feeling the need to dedicate two and a half episodes to Din's story.

The Star Wars Explained reviews go in to interesting ideas of Boba's arc.

elLOaSTy

Oct 27, 2017
I think you are probably kidding but those are actual serious concerns of mine. Bring back a proper space ship van. Not this ferrari nonsense. :D

I took the new ship as a way to show he's kinda done as a bounty hunter, his future lies on Mandalore and so having his ship be a fighter and fast makes it better for getting around.

butalala

Nov 24, 2017
I took the new ship as a way to show he's kinda done as a bounty hunter, his future lies on Mandalore and so having his ship be a fighter and fast makes it better for getting around.

I kind of want him to end up with something like this
maxresdefault.jpg

just replace the dirtbike with the starfighter and replace the camper with a bigger freighter/transport ship

elLOaSTy

Oct 27, 2017
I kind of want him to end up with something like this
maxresdefault.jpg

just replace the dirtbike with the starfighter and replace the camper with a bigger freighter/transport ship

I don't hate this, it would have worked better if they left more of the yellow on the straighter. Its hard for me not to be happy the Naboo Straighter is one of my favorite ships in the series I thought the yellow hulk as so sick.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I think the show had some good ideas for Boba as a character, but the show was dragged down by Favreau's writing, Rodriguez's direction and them feeling the need to dedicate two and a half episodes to Din's story.

A Famuyiwa-penned BoBF could have been so damn good.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
Ended up seeing this finally bc I wanted to compare and contrast with Andor when I get to it.

Overall, I suppose it was alright as a whole, at least in the way I binged it, but I'm sure I would have disliked it more on weekly schedule.

Main points:

-I think I heard people hated the biker gang or something. I did think they were a bit one note and also a little too chic and clean for what they were supposed to be. They didn't have enough screentime though to really care too much IMO. Which I guess goes both ways bc I don't really think of them so one could say they were kind of a waste. I liked the Wookie Mercenary more and I think he had less time than them even.

-There's good parts in this story focusing on Boba but it definitely felt disjointed to me. Flipping between Tusken Raider Boba and reformed Crime Boss Boba at times doesn't connect well. Tusken Boba was good stuff, but then they kind of just kill it too abruptly for my liking in order to gain a shocking swerve which didn't feel worth it imo. I also felt Fett's handling of the criminal boss situation, and the situation in general, was pretty flat/not done well.

-The show is pretty good with new feeling in the first two - three episodes but in episode 4 I definitely felt like things started to retread ground or feel stretched out. The flashback just for meeting Shand in particular felt like the thing a netflix mcu show does where they just stick it in and regardless of quality in the end those episodes feel like they're there for padding. This is without even getting into...

-Mando suddenly making it his show for the two episodes before the end. This doesn't apply for the ending episode where it feels like he gives space where needed but those two penultimate episodes...ugh. It brought the show to a dead halt for me and not only that there was too much that was not satisfying even if you switched your brain to Mando show mode. Like half an episode spent on repairing a ship, nah. Luke stuff was not it for the most part for me either. The stuff that was cool (darksaber/interaction with his culture as an apostate/grogu feelings) ultimately didnt feel developed/transitioned well enough for me too. Super bad part of the show, and also baffling.

-However, there are some fun parts in the show at least, like the entire last episode mostly, and some intractions Boba has with Tuskens/Fennec/Disney friendly Criminal underworld/Din's ship is pretty cool when it's finally constructed. Tbh I def think the last episode raises my estimation of the show like 2 points higher on a 10 point scale than it should be rn lol