• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017
Only spin that I like

tumblr_o07hprKwWB1rszoo3o2_r2_540.gifv

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
???????

People talk about how shitty the ANH fight scene is all the time?
To the extent that all the other stunts brought up earlier that have been beaten to death? Couldn't tell you the last time I saw someone complaint about the ANH scene but shit like TLJ's throne room is almost a weekly occurrence on average on this site.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
If Star Wars ever did a What If series it would be so good to see What if Qui Gon lived and trained Anakin?

They did this in comic form already with Star Wars Tales and it got pretty whacky. I'm faintly remembering a Gungan adaptation of Moby Dick, and the more famous Indians Jones find the Millennium Falcon and Skippy The Jedi Droid. It was great.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
The one thing I'll say on the spin move:

It's not why the episode was bad. People are overfocusing on it. The whole battle sequence was mind-numbingly linear, and as a result, came off as incredibly padded, where moments of interest were so incredibly hard to pull out (until the Rancor came in, anyway), that they felt the need to add ridiculous little choreographical touches like the spin. But it ain't the primary sin of the battle, it's just more visible than most.

Oct 27, 2017
They did this in comic form already with Star Wars Tales and it got pretty whacky. I'm faintly remembering a Gungan adaptation of Moby Dick, and the more famous Indians Jones find the Millennium Falcon and Skippy The Jedi Droid. It was great.
The one where JarJar's father shoots himself in the head because JarJar was too annoying to live with?

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
The one thing I'll say on the spin move:

It's not why the episode was bad. People are overfocusing on it. The whole battle sequence was mind-numbingly linear, and as a result, came off as incredibly padded, where moments of interest were so incredibly hard to pull out (until the Rancor came in, anyway), that they felt the need to add ridiculous little choreographical touches like the spin. But it ain't the primary sin of the battle, it's just more visible than most.

Also I feel like Fett just remembering he had a Rancor just... just doesn't make sense. You have a pet that is resistant to blaster fire and you just don't talk about how that works in your war plans at all?
Plus the droids just missing all their shots and not really killing anything just makes me wonder what they were thinking to happen for the overall battle. Could of just been done in much better ways if they didn't want any of the good guys to die.

CorpseLight

Nov 3, 2018
I really admire the fans that defend what they love by shitting on it.
I can't speak for everyone here, but I've made a few posts about parts were just outright dumb or came off as unbelievably corny or bad writing - but it doesn't mean I hate Star Wars or this show. It's fine really, I don't take it that seriously, It's just a mindless thing to enjoy. It's just fun to rib on it a little.

Youtubers and stuff who take things way, wayyyy to far are usually just doing it for performative reasons because, yes; the overall fandom is incredibly toxic - but I don't really see that here.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Also I feel like Fett just remembering he had a Rancor just... just doesn't make sense. You have a pet that is resistant to blaster fire and you just don't talk about how that works in your war plans at all?
Plus the droids just missing all their shots and not really killing anything just makes me wonder what they were thinking to happen for the overall battle. Could of just been done in much better ways if they didn't want any of the good guys to die.
They needed the fight to not take place in one street, centered on one tiny building, and then have the participants mostly stay clumped up. There was absolutely no sense of scope, which was weird as hell because it's not like they were lacking for bodies!

It's like they lost access to half the sets they were using at the last minute or something.

Lmo2017

Oct 25, 2017
To the east of Parts Unknown...
Finally get a longer episode and it feels like they're killing time during most of it, there's just no snap to any of it... which is weird as hell considering that should be something Rodriguez should be good at. The battle doesn't really take off until the Rancor shows up, then I had fun with it.

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
They needed the fight to not take place in one street, centered on one tiny building, and then have the participants mostly stay clumped up. There was absolutely no sense of scope, which was weird as hell because it's not like they were lacking for bodies!

It's like they lost access to half the sets they were using at the last minute or something.

They could have done a siege type battle as well! Fett and the gang meet up kill the Pikes, droids come they run into a building to take cover since none of their attacks work. Mando and the others make a distraction so Fett can get his pet as the Droids slowly but surely whittle away the building. But nope, we get the droids chasing after slow moving people in a narrow street and missing every shot. Could of been way more dramatic and intense. However, since we saw the droids unable to actually hit a damn thing it just felt like there were no real stakes attached to the battle.

Br3wnor

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Really enjoyed the season, I know it was campy and really just a Mandalorian side quest and didn't need to be it's own series but I had fun and IMO it had 3 truly great episodes which is more than most shows can say their first season. Look forward to Mandalorian and another Boba Fett side quest next year

Also the Luke technology was so insane, can't believe how real it looked

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
I didn't think the finale was superb, but Christ am I glad era users don't write Star Wars. Acting like bringing Mace Windu back would be some cutting edge artistic decision. Jesus.
Yeah
I don't want any jedi in these shows unless it's a show about jedi. Luke was so unecessary. It was just pure useless fan service. Give me new characters like Krrsantan

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
Are we ever going to get a Ahsoka show? Just so I can see Ventress back
Ahsoka is the next Mandoverse interlude, being primarily led by Filoni himself. They've already made several major casting announcements and it's in active production.

Ventress's story was resolved in the excellent novel Dark Disciple, which was adapted from the screenplays of 8 Clone Wars episodes that were never produced. Several of those episodes were actually written by Katie Lucas, George's daughter, and she wrote the forward to it as well.

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
Ahsoka is the next Mandoverse interlude, being primarily led by Filoni himself. They've already made several major casting announcements and it's in active production.

Ventress's story was resolved in the excellent novel Dark Disciple, which was adapted from the screenplays of 8 Clone Wars episodes that were never produced. Several of those episodes were actually written by Katie Lucas, George's daughter, and she wrote the forward to it as well.
Ok...
I need to read that. Is it any good?

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
Ok...
I need to read that. Is it any good?
Yeah, it's great. If those episodes had ever been produced, they'd likely be remembered as one of the best story arcs in the series, so it's kinda tragic so many Clone Wars fans haven't read it. It's literally part of the series. It's a heavily character-driven story that dives deep into Ventress and provides the perfect closure for her arc. It also is one of the times Clone Wars goes in on the failings of the Jedi order to great effect.

Quinlan Vos is also a major character throughout (it's actually a story arc about both), if you're interested to see more of him. I know he's a fan favorite.

Last edited:

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
Yeah, it's great. If those episodes had ever been produced, they'd likely be remembered as one of the best story arcs in the series, so it's kinda tragic so many Clone Wars fans haven't read it. It's literally part of the series. It's a heavily character-driven story that dives deep into Ventress and provides the perfect closure for her arc. It also is one of the times Clone Wars goes in on the failings of the Jedi order to great effect.

Quinlan Vos is also a major character throughout (it's actually a story arc about both), if you're interested to see more of him. I know he's a fan favorite.
Thanks
I'll get it

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
I also always recommend the comic Darth Maul: Son of Dathomir and the incomplete Clone Wars arc Crystal Crisis on Utapau to any Clone Wars fans. The prior is adapted from a 4-part Clone Wars arc that was never produced, which was supposed to take place between Palpatine capturing Maul in season 5, and the Seige of Mandalore arc. It's a fun villain-driven arc featuring Maul, Dooku, Grievous, and Mother Talzin. Crystal Crisis is an Obi-Wan/Anakin arc that had all of the dialog recorded and was released as full-length, rough animatics of all four episodes. It has some good moments with Anakin coping with Ahsoka leaving the order.

Dark Disciple is definitely the best of the "Clone Wars Legacy" projects though.

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
I also always recommend the comic Darth Maul: Son of Dathomir and the incomplete Clone Wars arc Crystal Crisis on Utapau to any Clone Wars fans. The prior is adapted from a 4-part Clone Wars arc that was never produced, which was supposed to take place between Palpatine capturing Maul in season 5, and the Seige of Mandalore arc. It's a fun villain-driven arc featuring Maul, Dooku, Grievous, and Mother Talzin. Crystal Crisis is an Obi-Wan/Anakin arc that had all of the dialog recorded and was released as full-length, rough animatics of all four episodes. It has some good moments with Anakin coping with Ahsoka leaving the order.

Dark Disciple is definitely the best of the "Clone Wars Legacy" projects though.
Wow
Thanks for the recommendations. I'm bookmarking your post. I have a kindle collecting dust cause I dont have anything to read on it.

smashballTaz

Oct 29, 2017
*puts a nickel in the bad the overly full last Jedi takes jar*

That scene is straight up one of the best fight scenes in Star Wars from an actual storytelling perspective beyond waving laser swords. Daisy Ridley and Adam Driver absolutely understood the assignment. Kylo going absolutely berserk showing how lethal he is when he's not all fucked up with his emotions and Rey furiously fighting despite her inexperience:
CJJ66p1.gif

😩

Totally agree. I will never understand people who didn't enjoy that scene. The visuals, the choreography, the emotions, the acting. What it represented. The red curtains falling down in flames, as there is a major shift in the power structure of the First Order, and hints that Rey and Kylo might actually go off on their own and perhaps be rogue force users or whatever. It's operatic.

Freaking LOVED it.

And goddamn Kylo Ren used a lightsaber to kill someone by igniting it through their FACE which is something I've always wanted to see on-screen 😂

I might watch the whole film again later. So awesome.

plain

Oct 27, 2017
My goodness, this show is horrible. Throw this bland ass Boba Fett character back in the pit.

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well no you see this is ok because OT good

Well when you compare a legitimately good movie with "characters" and "scenes" and a "story" (mainly talking about ESB here. Not gonna defend ROTJ) to something that is basically garbage with no real plot and most of the characters are cardboard cutouts, then yes, the small issues and knitpicks become an even larger issue because that's all you have to look at. If Book of Boba Fett had great fucking characters and an amazing gripping story that you really engage with, then no one would care that someone did a spin when shooting his gun. No one.

So to answer your statement.. yes?

ket

Jul 27, 2018
Well when you compare a legitimately good movie with "characters" and "scenes" and a "story" (mainly talking about ESB here. Not gonna defend ROTJ) to something that is basically garbage with no real plot and most of the characters are cardboard cutouts, then yes, the small issues and knitpicks become an even larger issue because that's all you have to look at. If Book of Boba Fett had great fucking characters and an amazing gripping story that you really engage with, then no one would care that someone did a spin when shooting his gun. No one.

So to answer your statement.. yes?

Yeah, I knew this already. It's still pretty dumb to rag on one spin move as silly and another one as fine, which I thought was an obvious statement.