• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
The best thing about Hamill is that he is such a fanboy that he isn't above doing guest stints playing the same character 30 years later.

The-Flash-trickster-jay-garrick-copertina-640x321.jpg
I mean it got him the gig as the iconic animated Joker so yeah wasn't that surprised

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017
Confirmed that the temple being build in BOBF is the same one that gets destroyed in TLJ. Apparently Luke hates trees.

We've glimpsed Luke's storied temple in comic books and on film, although to be fair it was mostly rubble and flame in Star Wars: The Last Jedi. Now, we turn back the clock to see the new Jedi school at its inception, with ant droids working hard to place every stone on the first humble hut.

OneTrueJack

Aug 30, 2020
Confirmed that the temple being build in BOBF is the same one that gets destroyed in TLJ. Apparently Luke hates trees.

Makes sense but good to see it confirmed. I'd put money on the planet being confirmed as Ajan Kloss at some point.
God I love how every development with Luke simply doesn't matter.

Thanks TROS.
"Failure is not the end. It is a necessary part of the path. Hope will always survive in those who continue to fight. Like you." - Jedi: Fallen Order.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Makes sense but good to see it confirmed. I'd put money on the planet being confirmed as Ajan Kloss at some point.

"Failure is not the end. It is a necessary part of the path. Hope will always survive in those who continue to fight. Like you." - Jedi: Fallen Order.

Oh No no I love that the temple goes up in flames and Luke fails. That's not the problem here.

The problem for me is Luke learns fuck all and walks back all his very well learned lessons to try and appease fanboys mad about a sword.

And the Jedi dogma lives on with a Jedi Fangirl reading books filled with toxic practices with religious devotion

And that the love and faith Luke shared with his father did not defeat Palpatine and it was just a minor annoyance in the Palpy Keikaku.

OneTrueJack

Aug 30, 2020
Oh No no I love that the temple goes up in flames and Luke fails. That's not the problem here.

The problem for me is Luke learns fuck all and walks back all his very well learned lessons to try and appease fanboys mad about a sword.

And the Jedi dogma lives on with a Jedi Fangirl reading books filled with toxic practices with religious devotion
To be honest, I've never seen the supposed dissonance between TLJ and TROS. At least with this respect. While TLJ does seem to interrogate some of the Jedi's practices, the actual end of the movie writes off those concerns with Luke returning to Crait. His final speech is literally about how the legacies of the past are being reborn. TROS then picking up with Rey, #1 OG Star Wars fan, trying her best to live up to that legacy? Yeah, that tracks.

The thing is TLJ isn't actually as radical as some people think. The final thesis statement of the movie wasn't "The old ways are dead and we need drastic change", it was "Yes we acknowledge that we need to grow and change, but also fuck you Star Wars is awesome and we're gonna do this shit forever! Long live Luke Skywalker! Even if we have to tweak some stuff along the way".
And that the love and faith Luke shared with his father did not defeat Palpatine and it was just a minor annoyance in the Palpy Keikaku.
That's not how I see it really. Luke and Vader defeated Palpatine, Rey and Ben thwarted his resurrection.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017

A Jedi's weapon deserves more respect. 🥴

On topic though, TheGummyBear is right about how weirdly "aggressive" Luke comes off as training a toddler. When he's like, "really, that's all you got?" Grogu should just stop and pull out his pointer and remind him:

EVvfIY4XsAE6wTC.jpg

But then we wouldn't get sick call backs to the past films and training.

Last edited:

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Glad to finally have an actual HD pic of this
the-book-of-boba-fett-ch-6-highlights-jedi-training-TALL.jpg

On topic though, @TheGummyBear is right about how weirdly "aggressive" Luke comes off as training a toddler. When he's like, "really, that's all you got?"
Feel like it says volumes that I thought he was gonna train Grogu to dodge or something when he whipped out his lightsaber. But then he started shooting Grogu with a training droid. 😂

KodaRuss

Oct 27, 2017
Texas
Glad to finally have an actual HD pic of this
the-book-of-boba-fett-ch-6-highlights-jedi-training-TALL.jpg

Feel like it says volumes that I thought he was gonna train Grogu to dodge or something when he whipped out his lightsaber. But then he started shooting Grogu with a training droid. 😂

Incredible.

I just want to see Boba kick some ass this episode like he did in The Tragedy with his HELMET ON! Whatever else we get I am good with.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017

TLJ ends with literally Rey smuggling away the Jedi texts. She was always going to use them.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
TLJ ends with literally Rey smuggling away the Jedi texts. She was always going to use them.

I don't like that either.

But I'm CERTAIN a Johnson sequel would've continued the trend of casting doubt on them and the dogma. Because the Rey that took them had already the seed of doubt in the dogma planted in her.

A seed that is completely removed when her fangirl views are confirmed and validated and the harsh reality of Jedi failures is completely thrown away in favor of "THEY WERE THE COOLEST, HERE HAVE ALL THEIR POWERS! I AM ALL THE JEDI WOOOOOOOH"

Alas...

I trust Filoni, the man who wrote 7 seasons of "Wow the Jedi are corrupt fucks" to make that idea justice

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017

But I'm CERTAIN a Johnson sequel would've continued the trend of casting doubt on them and the dogma. Because the Rey that took them had already the seed of doubt in the dogma planted in her.

Rey doesn't follow any dogma though, she clearly didn't cut attachments either. She still became her own jedi on her own, they left things open on that also on where she was gonna go after.

Rey becoming a jedi doesn't mean she followed their ways or is becoming the order once again.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Sometimes I feel like I've stepped in bizarro universe...

The training scene was cute as hell. People getting angry at "poor baby Grogu being abused by big meanie Luke" have lived on the internet too long, methinks.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
To be honest, I've never seen the supposed dissonance between TLJ and TROS. At least with this respect. While TLJ does seem to interrogate some of the Jedi's practices, the actual end of the movie writes off those concerns with Luke returning to Crait. His final speech is literally about how the legacies of the past are being reborn. TROS then picking up with Rey, #1 OG Star Wars fan, trying her best to live up to that legacy? Yeah, that tracks.

The thing is TLJ isn't actually as radical as some people think. The final thesis statement of the movie wasn't "The old ways are dead and we need drastic change", it was "Yes we acknowledge that we need to grow and change, but also fuck you Star Wars is awesome and we're gonna do this shit forever! Long live Luke Skywalker! Even if we have to tweak some stuff along the way".

That's not how I see it really. Luke and Vader defeated Palpatine, Rey and Ben thwarted his resurrection.
Yeah I agree. For all of TROS' faults, I'm not sure there is much of a disconnect between TLJ Luke and TROS Luke. I feel like when a lot of people talk about this dissonance, they're overlooking where Luke ultimately lands at the end of TLJ: "I will not be the last Jedi." Luke spends most of the movie believing the Jedi in general, and he in particular, are a net negative on the galaxy. That the Jedi had their chance to use the light side of the Force to bring peace and order, and failed repeatedly. Thus concluded that the best thing for the galaxy would be for someone/something new to take up that mantle and let the Jedi die.

But at the end of the movie, he accepts his place in the story and that the Jedi tradition is worth carrying over and being reborn into a new generation that can try where he and his predecessors fell short. So many people stupidly harp on "let the past die" like it's the central ethos of the story, when the movie's final message is that growth and legacy are intertwined. And I think Luke in TROS still captures that feeling.

Where it falls short is when he acts like he always knew Rey was secretly the emperor's granddaughter lol

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017

A seed that is completely removed when her fangirl views are confirmed and validated and the harsh reality of Jedi failures is completely thrown away in favor of "THEY WERE THE COOLEST, HERE HAVE ALL THEIR POWERS! I AM ALL THE JEDI WOOOOOOOH"

Alas...

I trust Filoni, the man who wrote 7 seasons of "Wow the Jedi are corrupt fucks" to make that idea justice

I always saw the point of the books was for Rey to learn how to be a Jedi and use The Force, not to follow its dogmatic teachings to the letter. With Luke dead at the end of the film, she was supposed to have zero Jedi to train her so the books would help her teach herself. It also preserves the Jedi history and religion. If they were gone then being a Jedi means nothing more than what bitter Luke was saying at the start, just be a Light Side warrior and forget about everything else. It was nothing of value. He was wrong.

Sometimes I feel like I've stepped in bizarro universe...

The training scene was cute as hell. People getting angry at "poor baby Grogu being abused by big meanie Luke" have lived on the internet too long, methinks.

I'm fine with it, but I also find it hilarious in how much it panders to fan expectations. It is everything the fans wanted from TLJ and even OT. In ESB, Yoda doesn't teach Luke how to dodge lasers he teaches him how to feel The Force and believe in himself. He doesn't even teach Luke how to swing a lightsaber. In TLJ, Luke basically just gives Rey a bunch of philosophy lessons after showing her how to feel The Force. This made people upset because obviously we need to see a Jedi TRAIN.

So with Grogu we get all that. We see him learn how to jump around, lift frogs, and we even get to see Luke practice with his lightsaber. HOORAY! Unfortunately, it reduces The Force to video game levelling up again as opposed to a philosophical/moral debate. But hey, it looks cool.

TLJ is an interrogation of myth and legend. TROS is about corporate pandering to fans. I'm not sure how you can be blind to the total tonal disconnect.

Rainy

Oct 25, 2017
Edit: Nevermind.

I just hope this series has a satisfying conclusion. Unsure how it'll pull it off but...

OneTrueJack

Aug 30, 2020
Yeah I agree. For all of TROS' faults, I'm not sure there is much of a disconnect between TLJ Luke and TROS Luke. I feel like when a lot of people talk about this dissonance, they're overlooking where Luke ultimately lands at the end of TLJ: "I will not be the last Jedi." Luke spends most of the movie believing the Jedi in general, and he in particular, are a net negative on the galaxy. That the Jedi had their chance to use the light side of the Force to bring peace and order, and failed repeatedly. Thus concluded that the best thing for the galaxy would be for someone/something new to take up that mantle and let the Jedi die.

But at the end of the movie, he accepts his place in the story and that the Jedi tradition is worth carrying over and being reborn into a new generation that can try where he and his predecessors fell short. So many people stupidly harp on "let the past die" like it's the central ethos of the story, when the movie's final message is that growth and legacy are intertwined. And I think Luke in TROS still captures that feeling.
Yup, all of this. Honesty TROS actually does a pretty good pretty decent job at bringing the themes of TLJ to a close while rhyming them with the saga as a whole.

But that's a whole different thread.
Where it falls short is when he acts like he always knew Rey was secretly the emperor's granddaughter lol
I always assumed that was something he learned after becoming one with the Force. Whenever they start doing stuff between Episodes VIII & IX I'd put money of Force Ghost Luke visiting Leia and them learning that info together.
TLJ is an interrogation of myth and legend. TROS is about corporate pandering to fans. I'm not sure how you can be blind to the total tonal disconnect.
It is, but it's an interrogation that comes down firmly on the side of those myths and legends. So IX playing those myths straight is a natural progression as far as I'm concerned.

I'd also point out that the things which make TLJ great (an introspective character-driven narrative) also make it unique. The truth is the rest of Star Wars really isn't that deep, so Episode IX not being that deep isn't a dealbreaker for me.

Oct 25, 2017
So with Grogu we get all that. We see him learn how to jump around, lift frogs, and we even get to see Luke practice with his lightsaber. HOORAY! Unfortunately, it reduces The Force to video game levelling up again as opposed to a philosophical/moral debate. But hey, it looks cool.

Except that isn't true. Luke says himself he isn't actually teaching Grogu these things, he already knows how to. The issue is his connection to the Force is frayed from trauma, which is why Luke helped him push through with the memory of Order 66. Even Ashoka said the same thing about Grogu is S2.

Luke isn't "leveling him up" he's pushing Grogu to regain his connection through the regimen. Which is the same style that Yoda used for him.

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Edit: Nevermind.

I just hope this series has a satisfying conclusion. Unsure how it'll pull it off but...
They've set themselves up for an easy W.
- Cad Bane vs Boba Fett showdown
- Boba Fett riding the rancor

A cameo from Han Solo/Mace Windu/Qi'ra/Ezra Bridger/Omega/Bad Batch/Moff Gideon/Greef Karga/Thrawn/Obiwan/insert previously thought dead character or Legends character becoming canon will be icing on the cake

Kadzork

Has got mad skills!!
Oct 27, 2017
No matter what happens I just wanted to say this thread has been a real pleasure.

You are all true Banthas.

Mr_Antimatter

Oct 28, 2017
Always figured a proper sequel to TLJ would have been Rey, lacking formal guidance beyond the original texts, creating a new order free from thousands of years of dogma or expectations.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
We're either getting Boba riding the rancor tomorrow or a second season, right? There's no way they tease that and then do nothing with it.

peppermints

Oct 25, 2017
Man 3AM eastern episode time kind of sucks. Got spoiled on Luke last week in a headline on The Verge of all places. Sucks not being able to watch until Wednesday evening.

Nov 27, 2020

Anything that causes meltdowns with those guys is a-ok by me. Hell, I hope we get a Kathleen Kennedy cameo and she stares straight at the camera, says "Truly, Luke is The Last Jedi" and winks. Then we get a title card that says "Boba Fett will return in Knives Out 3: A Star Wars Story, directed by Rian Johnson", just to twist the knife that much deeper.

A Ben Solo cameo would work as well. Lol