• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

sml_x

Oct 27, 2017
This could've been a really tight 4 episode mini-series or half season if they'd cut the flashback framing device and just told the story linearly from Boba crawling out of the pit, to the train chase, to getting his ship back. Then Cad Bane shows up, he realizes he's going to need help to defeat the Pykes and avenge the Tuskens and we go straight to episode 5.

The whole crime lord/daimyo thing just wasn't necessary. Make the show about Boba getting revenge on the Pykes.

WJD

Nov 4, 2017
I don't think Dave Filoni is a very good director.

Seeing Luke and Grogu again was cool, but that was such a stilted and poorly paced episode. Every round of dialogue seemed to take an eternity, without ever saying anything profound or important enough to justify it.

Jack Scofield

Oct 27, 2017
I'm loving the design of the Pyke armor. It's simple and fits in perfectly with Star Wars. It's probably my favorite Star Wars design since Rogue One, specifically the tube aliens in Saw Herrera's crew.

ArcLyte

Nov 1, 2017
God damn all the references, cameos, and callbacks are getting old. That's all Star Wars is now.

ket

Jul 27, 2018
So Bane wouldn't do jobs for the empire I assume. He said Something about Boba being scum who did jobs for the empire and wasn't in the big bounty hunter scene in the OT. I know that's because he wasn't created yet but it's seems they're going with the narrative he wouldn't do jobs for them. At least that's how I interpreted it anyway.

i think he just brought that up to convince cobb that someone like boba wasn't worth fighting for

edit: sry didn't see the response that said this same thing

ket

Jul 27, 2018

Seeing Luke and Grogu again was cool, but that was such a stilted and poorly paced episode. Every round of dialogue seemed to take an eternity, without ever saying anything profound or important enough to justify it.

yeah the actual dialogue was kinda dull. i get that there's not much to work with since luke is talking to a baby but it was still a bit generic jedi stuff.

DixieDean82

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Tbf, he's still new at the live action stuff. He's showing promise.

Can you imagine if he was given a ST movie to direct, though as some want? I'm sure even Dave would say he was not ready for that then.

19thCenturyFox

Prophet of Regret
Oct 29, 2017
I just noticed a cool visual reference to the prequels on my rewatch, as George Lucas said "It's like poetry, it rhymes!"

lukegif1o6kfs.gif

anakingif1hlku0.gif

Trouble

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle-ish
They should have just leaned on it tbh. Had the first 4 be called Book of Boba Fett then abruptly changed the title and had the last 3 just be The Mandalorian.
As hilarious as that would have been it would have made indexing it on IMDB and Disney+ a nightmare.

I used to feel this way about Mando, but then I the majority of the fandom seemed to love that stuff and it kinda changed my mind on it. To some degree, anyway.
People don't hate fanservice when it's well crafted, they mostly just hate lazy fanservice.

Juraash

Oct 25, 2017
The more I think about what's happening in this show, the more okay I am with it being a bridge/platform to expand lore and stories that we're going to tell. It could have probably used a different name given that, but whatever.

I've been waiting a lot of years for them to make Fett the way he was before Episode II and it's never really happened. Instead though, we've gotten Cad, who is way scarier than either Fett and we have Din, who fills the "good guy" role plenty well. I still imagine the final episode, or subsequent seasons may continue to build up Boba, I guess I just don't need him to be as cool as I imagined him when I was 11.

I like the interconnectedness that these shows are bringing to the universe. The Clone Wars brought us a lot of really important characters and the shows are giving them stories and context that helps fill in a lot of gaps.

The Clone Wars basically saves the prequel era, imo. They're a hot mess without the show to fill in all the gaps and make the story work. I feel like these shows will ultimately do the same for everything post ROTJ.

DixieDean82

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The more I think about what's happening in this show, the more okay I am with it being a bridge/platform to expand lore and stories that we're going to tell. It could have probably used a different name given that, but whatever.

I've been waiting a lot of years for them to make Fett the way he was before Episode II and it's never really happened. Instead though, we've gotten Cad, who is way scarier than either Fett and we have Din, who fills the "good guy" role plenty well. I still imagine the final episode, or subsequent seasons may continue to build up Boba, I guess I just don't need him to be as cool as I imagined him when I was 11.

I like the interconnectedness that these shows are bringing to the universe. The Clone Wars brought us a lot of really important characters and the shows are giving them stories and context that helps fill in a lot of gaps.

The Clone Wars basically saves the prequel era, imo. They're a hot mess without the show to fill in all the gaps and make the story work. I feel like these shows will ultimately do the same for everything post ROTJ.
I do wonder if the Mandalorian was supposed to be Boba Fett, at one stage. But couldn't happen then for whatever reason.

Brot

Oct 25, 2017
the edge
This show is so bad, they shoved an entire back door season premiere of a better show into it and it's somehow even worse for it. It either highlights how uninteresting the actual show around Boba Friend is or because they keep making it the smallest universe in existence.

The moment I saw the "training" I knew someone already wrote it into the IMDb trivia section, how it mimics the training Luke received in Empire and all that shit. It's so lazy.

I swear to God, they'll be able to cram some Skywalker garbage into the high republic show as well. I'm sure of it now because they can't fucking help themselves.

Last edited:

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
Ehh Star Wars is for families. Kids and adults can watch it and enjoy together. That's what I've always felt anyway. Including with these shows. It's always been campy and fun and hopeful.

I don't think "it's a family show" excuses bad writing. Marvel stuff is campy and for families but that product still manages to have a tense moment here and there. The first 4 episodes of this were dreadfully boring. Reviewing this show will be difficult without being specific because from episode 5 on it's a completely different show. Episode 5 had a good mix of intensity with the somewhat violent fight at the beginning and the goofy mechanic stuff, a good balance. I haven't seen episode 6 yet.

Green

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think "it's a family show" excuses bad writing. Marvel stuff is campy and for families but that product still manages to have a tense moment here and there. The first 4 episodes of this were dreadfully boring. Reviewing this show will be difficult without being specific because from episode 5 on it's a completely different show. Episode 5 had a good mix of intensity with the somewhat violent fight at the beginning and the goofy mechanic stuff, a good balance. I haven't seen episode 6 yet.

That's just your opinion. It's not a fact. We've been enjoying this a lot. And I don't think it has bad writing *shrug*

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This show is so bad, they shoved an entire back door season premiere of a better show into it and it's somehow even worse for it. It either highlights how uninteresting the actual show around Boba Friend is or because they keep making it the smallest universe in existence.

The moment I saw the "training" I knew someone already wrote it into the IMDb trivia section how it mimics the training Luke received in Empire and all that shit. It's so lazy.

I swear to God, they'll be able to cram some Skywalker garbage into the high republic show as well. I'm sure of it now because they can't fucking help themselves.

To be fair, what do we really expect? Favreau and Filoni are Star Wars fanboys who are now running Star Wars essentially. To expect anything other than copious fanservice is to set the bar too high.

Ruisu

Banned
Aug 1, 2019
Brasil
Thing with this show being a platform for more expanded universe and Mandalorian things to jump from is like... Then just make the previous 4 episodes lead up to that?

Again, Season 2 of The Mandalorian was full of plot points where Djarin wasn't a driving force for. But he was still there. It still mattered to the character. It's not like in the Asohka episode we cut away to a bunch of unrelated plot points with her as the protagonist while Djarin is in another planet twiddling his tumbs.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
The whole war with the Pikes thing just feels so pointless especially with all these little side quests we are getting in a short series. Especially if it's essentially all being condensed into two episodes. Heres a bunch of random Fett ramblinds, now it's mando show, oh hey shit we got one episode to wrap this all up now with what is apparently a plot?

It's such a mess of a production

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017
The whole war with the Pikes thing just feels so pointless especially with all these little side quests we are getting in a short series. Especially if it's essentially all being condensed into two episodes. Heres a bunch of random Fett ramblinds, now it's mando show, oh hey shit we got one episode to wrap this all up now with what is apparently a plot?

It's such a mess of a production
Favreau's scripts go straight into production without a single rewrite. Must be nice.

blamite

Oct 27, 2017
When this show was first teased at the end of Mandalorian S2 I was convinced that "The Book of Boba Fett" was just going to be the subtitle of The Mandalorian Season 3; and at this point that's basically what it is. I feel like they probably should've done that officially.

Juraash

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think there's enough here for Mando either to attach The Mandalorian name to it. It's pretty clear imo that the detours with Din and Grogu are specifically to get that stuff established so we don't spend the first half of actual S3 dealing with it.

I wouldn't be terribly shocked at this point, if the finale of BoBF sets up where the start of Mando S3 might go.

blamite

Oct 27, 2017
As long as a Mandalorian is the main character it's fine to call the show that imo. Although to be fair I'm not fully aught up on Boba's Mandalorian status so maybe technically he doesn't qualify. Although Din got kicked out last episode so,

Fitts

You know what that means
Oct 25, 2017
The Book of Boba Fett is a lot better when it doesn't have Boba Fett in it.

Juraash

Oct 25, 2017
Both are Mandalorians. Din's former group is a remnant of Death Watch and hardly the authority on who is or isn't a Mandalorian, as much as I'm sure they'd like to be.

Juraash

Oct 25, 2017
Technically correct, but whether or not Din's still a Mando, he's lost the tribe that took him in when he was orphaned. Even if they are a weird cult, that's got to hurt him.

I'm sure it does hurt him, probably a great deal. But he has Grogu, he has ins with Fett, and he has ties to Bo and her group. There are avenues for him to connect with people and other Mandalorians. Kind of like this show is talking about with forging your own family. He has all the pieces there to forge his own and still hang onto to the elements of his Mandalorian identity that make sense for him.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
I'm sure it does hurt him, probably a great deal. But he has Grogu, he has ins with Fett, and he has ties to Bo and her group. There are avenues for him to connect with people and other Mandalorians. Kind of like this show is talking about with forging your own family. He has all the pieces there to forge his own and still hang onto to the elements of his Mandalorian identity that make sense for him.

Bo is probably imagining 34 ways to roast his ass and get the saber tho

Super-Volt

Apr 19, 2021
United States
Kind of like this show is talking about with forging your own family. He has all the pieces there to forge his own and still hang onto to the elements of his Mandalorian identity that make sense for him.
I really like your take on family here. Would be nice to see Mando start off trying to regain his cult membership, but ultimately realize he's building a better family without them.

Ruisu

Banned
Aug 1, 2019
Brasil

While that is true, in his perspective this isn't like joining a new friends group that accepts him better, he has a religion and he violated a core tenet of his faith, and now he is being justly punished for it.

Juraash

Oct 25, 2017
While that is true, in his perspective this isn't like joining a new friends group that accepts him better, he has a religion and he violated a core tenet of his faith, and now he is being justly punished for it.

I mean true. But Din wouldn't be the first person to look at the tenants of their religion and realize their personal code no longer gels with that. He's already shown in season 2 that their are things more important to him than that. His bond with Grogu being one of them. He broke that tenant willfully, in front of a room full of people, to say goodbye face to face.

He can still chose a different family and a new way to live and new things to believe in.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
As long as a Mandalorian is the main character it's fine to call the show that imo. Although to be fair I'm not fully aught up on Boba's Mandalorian status so maybe technically he doesn't qualify. Although Din got kicked out last episode so,
Going by this scene he doesn't consider himself a Mandalorian nor does Bo Katan

Apparently there's also lots of discussion going about what kind of armour he has, because if it's Beskar like Din said, it would be strange that his helmet has such a large dent.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Anyway, back to Cad Bane. The two biggest differences are his voice having less modulation and heavy accent. And his mouth being a bit too short and teeth more pronounced. But, not like Duros exist in real life so gotta work with a human head for live action.

Going by this scene he doesn't consider himself a Mandalorian nor does Bo Katan

Apparently there's also lots of discussion going about what kind of armour he has, because if it's Beskar like Din said, it would be strange that his helmet has such a large dent.

His armor is beskar, they even say it this season as it is the only thing that allowed him to survive the Sarlaac Pitt. And Mandalorian is a creed, not so much a race. Boba Fett doesn't give a shit about Mandalorian culture or Mandalore so he is thus not Mandalorian.

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017
Rodriguez gonna make cad bane look like a clown in the finale I just know it.

edit: I like the less modulated voice in live action more

Juraash

Oct 25, 2017
It gonna be real interesting to see Cad get into it with Fett and Shand. There's some long standing beef there.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Boba is plenty competent in BoB, IMO. It's just that people are looking for him to be some ruthless mega-badass and he's... not doing that. He's extending trust and giving second chances. But I'm pretty much certain that he's still very much capable of flattening people when it suits him.

TV these days kind of synonymizes "ruthless" and "competent", to an extent, but it doesn't have to be that way.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
I liked both of the Mando centric episodes in isolation (a lot, actually) but with only one episode left I really wish they'd integrated it better. Unless the last episode is a full blown epic it really deflates from the Boba stuff to have that extra Mando stuff there. I'll stand by an earlier sentiment that people would have less complaints about Boba if more of his actions scenes had been in the armor.

I'm realizing now that this is sorta similar to how Clone Wars worked, but that show had more episodes per season and anthology as its premise, so it was less weird when we'd hop around. I suppose the season could end with either the Pikes as the new Big Bad for Mando or Boba succeeding and Mando moving to work for him.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Boba is plenty competent in BoB, IMO. It's just that people are looking for him to be some ruthless mega-badass and he's... not doing that. He's extending trust and giving second chances. But I'm pretty much certain that he's still very much capable of flattening people when it suits him.

TV these days kind of synonymizes "ruthless" and "competent", to an extent, but it doesn't have to be that way.

He vaporized that poor guy