• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Quiksaver

Oct 26, 2017
This whole fiasco is the equivalent of waiting for the next episode of your favorite TV series. Lines have been drawn and Blizzard is unable to straddle it. A side must be chosen, and it will upset the east or the west.

It's really entertaining to watch in real time.
Almost like this Blizzard brought back the Cold War
I'll see myself out

Damaniel

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
  • "Blizzard shows it is willing to humiliate itself to please the Chinese Communist Party," Sen. Ron Wyden (D-OR) said. "No American company should censor calls for freedom to make a quick buck."
Bravo!

He's my senator, so I'll give him credit for this, but I have to add that he sucks up to the Israeli government the same way Blizzard does to China (really my only complaint about him), so it's not like he's completely morally consistent here.

Spark

Dec 6, 2017
I like how much commotion this incident is stirring up. At least on Reddit this managed to overshadow every other news story even on the day the PS5s name and release window was announced.

eathdemon

Oct 27, 2017
just as a aside,. I wounder if china starts doing more internal game development. like I cant think of a AAA game from china. I get it mobile is king in china, but you would think they would want the prostige of it.

garion333

Oct 27, 2017
This is the first time since Gamer Gate that I'm seeing the left and right of gaming all agreeing on something.

garion333

Oct 27, 2017
Well, normally it's blah blah politics blah blah from the GG side. Now everyone is "fuck Blizzard".

It's crazy to me to see that everywhere is on the same track.

Deleted member 14735

Oct 27, 2017
That post is very easy to misread lol, it looks like it's implying that the right and left were in agreement/in it together with gamergate but they mean they've only seen division since that point, until now, I think.

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I think they meant that GG was the start of a huge split in the gaming community, not that people were agreeing with each other back then.

edit: damn I slow

Deleted member 33116

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 14, 2017
I want to delete my account but I can't. The Blizzard FB page is getting slammed and they are making no attempt to clean it up.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

TgrFMpq.png

Calde

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
User Banned (Permanent): Misrepresenting and mischaracterizing the events and ideology surrounding the Hong Kong protests; account in junior phase
There's plenty of critical takes on the Hong Kong protests from the left. It's viewed as something akin to the Tea Party and alt-right movements within the United States; a nativist reaction against "outsiders" (aka Chinese tourism and immigration), complete with mythologizing British colonialism as a "former Golden Age". And much like Gamergate itself, it was sparked by an angry boyfriend hurting a woman and expecting to get away without consequences... though in this case he murdered his girlfriend and shoved her body into a suitcase.

slothrop

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Aug 28, 2019
USA
There's plenty of critical takes on the Hong Kong protests from the left. It's viewed as something akin to the Tea Party and alt-right movements within the United States; a nativist reaction against "outsiders" (aka Chinese tourism and immigration), complete with mythologizing British colonialism as a "former Golden Age". And much like Gamergate itself, it was sparked by an angry boyfriend hurting a woman and expecting to get away without consequences... though in this case he murdered his girlfriend and shoved her body into a suitcase.
The comparison to being caused by an angry male is very disingenuous. It was caused by the law introduced by the government as a response to that event, along with many years of latent sensitivity. Governments use truly terrible things as covered justification for bad laws all the time.

Nista

Oct 26, 2017
Not all the Blizzard streamers are keeping silent on it. Taliesin was speaking up about it on his Twitch stream this morning.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Y'all try deleting your accounts?

Blizzard actively using nefarious activation methods to prevent deletion of accounts.

"
So now Blizzard have disabled ALL FOUR authentication methods to actively stop people from deleting their accounts. This is beyond disgusting. Spread awareness of this. #BoycottBlizzard"

People should be making a bigger stink about this.

Last edited:

Cort

Nov 4, 2017

Blizzard actively using nefarious activation methods to prevent deletion of accounts.

"
So now Blizzard have disabled ALL FOUR authentication methods to actively stop people from deleting their accounts. This is beyond disgusting. Spread awareness of this. #BoycottBlizzard"

This has been making the rounds but it looks more like a trigger that occurs in high traffic periods, rather than Blizzard disabling it.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017

"

theres a thread about it, and its more of a "system cant handle all these requests" thing than a nefarious thing. That person in the tweet herself managed to do it later. Come on Bomb, get with the times :p

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
These are not "critical takes from the left", they're total propaganda from the types of people who like to shill for Assad's Syrian government.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't J Allen Brack supposed to have something to say today?

Also, long time Blizzard fanboy kripp came out with a statement:

You guys know me for a decade now. You know I generally don't get into serious non-gaming issues on stream, YouTube, or socials. This isn't because I don't have opinions, it is because I try to create chill and entertaining content, and give you guys a place to relax and feel comfortable. With that said, I want to be clear that I support those protesting in Hong Kong. With such a large part of their country pushing for change, they are, and deserve to be on the right side of history.

I haven't been involved with competitive esports Hearthstone for years now, but Hearthstone for me is much more than their esports division and their recent poor decision making. I invite Blizzard to reconsider their position. Sure, they are in the entertainment space, so they want to keep anything that isn't about Hearthstone out of their official broadcast, but the penalty on Blitzchung and the casters seems just too over the top. All of us who have spent the best part of our lives on Battlenet expect better out of Blizzard.

Personally I wish it was a stronger message by for sure he's now going to be blackballed by Blizzard (he got a lot of preferential treatment from them)

eathdemon

Oct 27, 2017
I still feel like this whole mess wasnt even caused by china. I mean if china demanded this why would epic (45% owned by tencent) be so willing to call out Blizzard. this feels like a internal managment fuck up, they can not walk back.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Wasn't J Allen Brack supposed to have something to say today?

there was some rumblings he would adress the Blizz staff at Irvine, nothing about a external statement. I'm honestly not sure what they CAN say at this point. They either double down, or cut ties with china sooooooooo...

Calde

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
These are not "critical takes from the left", they're total propaganda from the types of people who like to shill for Assad's Syrian government.

Ah yes, unlike our stalwart and trustworthy allies *checks notes* Gamergator Mark Kern and Tea Party Senator Mark Rubio. Mark Rubio would never shill for awful warmongers!

Liberal gamers are allying with Republicans and pretending it's about Ethics in Extradition Treaties. They should pay attention to who they're uncritically supporting. That doesn't mean Blizzard is in the right here (they're not!) but the Hong Kong protests are more Freeze Peach than free speech.

Oct 27, 2017

Here's a fucking take. Fuck off. Gamergate and the alt right aren't fighting against authoritarian rule you fucking moron. Eat shit.

NexusCell

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Ah yes, unlike our stalwart and trustworthy allies *checks notes* Gamergator Mark Kern and Tea Party Senator Mark Rubio. Mark Rubio would never shill for awful warmongers!

Liberal gamers are allying with Republicans and pretending it's about Ethics in Extradition Treaties. They should pay attention to who they're uncritically supporting. That doesn't mean Blizzard is in the right here (they're not!) but the Hong Kong protests are more Freeze Peach than free speech.
Hmm. Hong Kong vs the authoritarian, ethnic cleansing, censorship happy Chinese government and gamers angry at that devs aren't only catering to them. Sure it's the same thing.

The Boat

Oct 28, 2017

What the flying fuck...

Deleted member 19218

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Companies need to rise up and stop the formation of the patriots.

If businesses around the world are desperate to censor themselves and others in order to appease China then it effectively has global control over what information it shares and this is real life, there is no Big Boss to save us.

newmoneytrash

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia

swing and a miss

Oct 25, 2017

I can't tell if you're just dishonestly omitting that Nancy Pelosi was the one standing with Joshua Wong mere weeks ago to advocate for the boldest American political action up to that point, the Hong Kong Human Rights and Democracy Act, or if you genuinely didn't know.

Glad to see others here call out the intellectual dishonesty and lack of proportion on display.

As the Blizzard controversy settles in, we can expect more "but the GGers are on your side" cherry-picking from China apologists. This community is vulnerable to it, and we mustn't be fooled. If you have any real convictions about this or any other political issue, it doesn't matter who happens to be your allies and it doesn't matter what they think. Sharing a cause is not an endorsement of all their views. I caution others not to be distracted and misled.

Status
Not open for further replies.