• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Will the DualSense make a big difference in Next Gen?

• Yes

Votes: 667 33.4%
  • No

Votes: 1,329 66.6%

• Total voters
May 15, 2019
I'm really hoping so. Disappointed that Microsoft has changed nothing about their controller, didn't even bother to put in gyro.

The Masked Mufti

The Wise Ones
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
No chance lol. It's just another controller and the new tech will not be used beyond basic stuff just as it was with the DS4.
I'm really hoping so. Disappointed that Microsoft has changed nothing about their controller, didn't even bother to put in gyro.
That's the weirdest part to me. Did they really not find anything worth adding other than a share button?

PS9

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Not a single person in this thread can answer that. The tech could be truly groundbreaking or a pile of shit. We just don't know.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
No, the biggest leap is the CPU and SSD. These will fundamentally change how games can be designed, while the DualSense will only impact how some games feel. But I don't think the DualSense will be having a impact as the Wii Mote did. The mote literally changed how games are played.

I think the DualSense is a great piece of tech, but I think the CPU will have a bigger impact and it remains to be seen how many games will actually make use of it's functionality. I remember the Xbox One triggers, albeit different to the haptic triggers not getting much use and the PS4 TouchPad was basically a start and select button most of the time imo.

That's the weirdest part to me. Did they really not find anything worth adding other than a share button?
I think they just thought it's not worth it, because most games never used the rumble triggers of the Xbox One gamepad and the TouchPad of the DS4 wasn't used often either. It was just a bigger start/select button in my experience.

May 15, 2019
No chance lol. It's just another controller and the new tech will not be used beyond basic stuff just as it was with the DS4.

Phil Spencer talked about how they removed optical audio out for Series X because saving literal pennies adds up when you sell millions of consoles, so I think they're just cutting costs in a way that's a detriment to the consumer. And given how up in arms people get when someone says more games should have gyro aim they're not necessarily wrong unfortunately. People are resistant to change and most would probably be fine if both systems next gen used the same exact controllers from this one.

catboy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
steam controller haptic feedback, xb1 impulse triggers, and joycon hd rumble says no

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
I would wait a bit into the generation to claim that. Seems really good what they did with the controller, but remains to be seen if it really is as great as it sounds.
It reminds me of vibration in joycons, it even had a different name, but i never felt it was very different than standard rumble.

Shadow

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Neat features, but will probably be underutilized and not really important to game play at all in the long run. I like HD Rumble on the joycons a lot for instance, but I can live without it easily, as I already do using an 8bitdo adapter on my Switch. No games but 1-2 Switch use it for actual gameplay, and heck, the Switch Lite doesn't even have it.

Gyro is the most game changing one(literally!), but the DS4 already has it, and the DS5 has it of course, otherwise Dreams wouldn't be playable heh.

Speaking of the 8bitdo adapter, I wonder if it'll be updated to support the DS5.

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure what haptic feedback or adaptive triggers even means.
I like that Sony tries stuff with its controllers though.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
I'm not sure what haptic feedback or adaptive triggers even means.
I like that Sony tries stuff with its controllers though.
It means in Horizon developers could make it harder to push r2 when you want to shoot a bow, while using a melee weapon will let you pull the trigger more easily. So basically it's about feedback to the player.
steam controller haptic feedback, xb1 impulse triggers, and joycon hd rumble says no
All great, but underutilized features and while I like the additions of the new DualSense, I won't pretend these will be used by many developers. I believe it when I see it.

Deleted member 1839

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe if it had paddles and if COD allowed gyro aiming :p

Dualsense has the same features that other controllers before it had and those features weren't used much outside of a few first party games. The exception is gyro and the adoption on that is mainly on Nintendo Switch right now. It's at the point where it's not only used by its major first party games, but also used by notable third party games that come to the platform as well.

The only controller in the recently years that tried to do something pretty different from the standard functions and layout was the steam controller, and not a lot of people liked it for various reasons but when it worked it's pretty great.

Last edited:
May 15, 2019
Does that mean the XSX wont be able to connect to a soundbar? I was planning on buying one for my PS4 and thinking of getting an XSX this year.
My sound bar is just connected directly to my TV but different setups are gonna work differently. Here it is directly from the horse's mouth though. Should probably do some research into how to get it to work with your sound setup if it's a concern.

https://www.vg247.com/2020/04/03/xbox-series-x-why-no-optical-port/

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Isn't haptic feedback just newer HD rumble? And adaptive triggers just like the one in X1 controller?

It's different, the Xbox triggers are used to create additional high frequency texture in the the triggers which a standard coarse rubble can't produce , such as creating a click sensation just a different feel. Guns in games commonly use it to create a click sensation which makes the trigger depression feel more mechanical. Fora uses it effectively to create a different sensation between front and back wheels hitting the edge of the track.

For of the DualSense uses a system that creates variable resistance, so the triggers can better match on screen actions.
A game might ask you to open a chest by holding down R2, but it's very heavy, so the trigger will become harder to depress fully, then you might come to a less rare one and the triggers offer no resistance.

Maybe you'll be playing a section in a game where your character is injured and you have to mantle over something, so the trigger becomes mushier to make it feel more difficult.

Maybe you are playing a game where you row a boat, when the oar is in the water you feel the resistance of the water. But when the oar is out of the water there is none

LCGeek

Oct 28, 2017
I said it before it's cpu then ssd.

Both are going to allow magnitude of order like changes in certain aspects of console gaming that since ps2 era we have been lacking.

Deleted member 9290

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
lol this is like "HD Rumble" or the Touchscreen / Speaker in the DS4.

Its there but nobody will seriously implement it into games because it's only on one platform.

You need a feature that is cross-platform for it to be a new standard.

Devilgunman

Oct 27, 2017
I just realized that they actually showed the back of the dualsense very briefly here

Screenshot-20200629-055437-Chrome.jpg

And there is no back-paddle?? That would be a huge bummer.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
The dualsense will be nothing like the marketing, we've been promised everything dualsense has every gen since rumble became a thing.

3 months after launch it's just another controller that will vibrate.

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
SSD and the CPU will be easily the biggest difference.

Those triggers sadly won't be utilised anywhere near enough to be appreciated. Just like the touchpad

Khasim

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
SSD > everything else.

We will not miss you, minutes-long crawling/climbing/squeezing through tight gaps/opening door sections existing only to mask loading screens.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Does that mean the XSX wont be able to connect to a soundbar? I was planning on buying one for my PS4 and thinking of getting an XSX this year.
Most new sound bars are using an HDMI ARC/eARC connection now.
And many TVs have an optical output built in.

It will be inconvenient for some, but it doesn't surprise me that they would cut it.
They should have exact numbers for how many users activated the optical port on Xbox One hardware.

The Masked Mufti

The Wise Ones
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
Most new sound bars are using an HDMI ARC/eARC connection now.
And many TVs have an optical output built in.

It will be inconvenient for some, but it doesn't surprise me that they would cut it.
They should have exact numbers for how many users activated the optical port on Xbox One hardware.
Thanks! Been needing a new screen so I'll go for that first and then explore audio options.

JoeNut

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I think they could be yeah, I just hope they get used by more than just the first party studios. It's disappointing Xbox didn't have these also, as that would mean we'd be more likely to see it on third party games.

____

Oct 27, 2017
Miami, FL
I think it'll be one of the biggest differentiators between the 2 systems, but not the biggest leap of the gen.

Graphics and sound will blow this gen away in a few years.

davygee

Jun 13, 2020
Don't think the DualSense will be the biggest leap for Next Gen....although the emphasis on the whole gaming experience will be huge so expect DualSense and 3D audio will have a big impact.

I expect the following in order will make the biggest differences for Next Gen:
  1. SSD
  2. CPU
  3. Enhanced gaming experience i.e. DualSense and 3D audio combined

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
No, I mean it's definitely a leap from what DS4 was (less so Xbox, that had trigger haptics at least).
But compared to storage access speeds and CPU improvements, no, I don't think so.

Wink784

Oct 27, 2017
I am a big fan of these kinds of innovations. I also did like what the Wii was going for. Anything that changes some aspects of how we interface with games is welcome to me. I'm sure it will make a difference to me, but in the grand scheme of things it will remain a gimmick.

OP
OP
Shairi

Shairi

Aug 27, 2018
It's literally again pretty much the same controller design we've had for the past 20 years. So... what are you talking about?

How so? Did you read the OP? Haptic feedback and adaptive triggers weren't in any DS before.

My main point here is that in the last few generations the focus was slolely on 2 senses: sight and hearing.

We had vibration and all that but the sense of touch was treated rather poorly.

The SSD will certainly bring enormous changes to the industry, which will have an impact on a lot more games due to the fact that they are in both consoles. But even the changes in game design enabled by the SSD only manifest themselves in the two usual senses: sight and hearing.

The DualSense could lead to games that utilize 3 senses (more) equally for the first time. In my opinion, this could be the "real" generational leap.

xem

Oct 31, 2017
No, in fact i can almost be 100% certain i will disable haptics/vibration at the system level within the first 30mins of trying it. I dont give a crap about haptics or vibration in a controller or phone or anything i can think of. Combination of SSD and CPU will be the largest difference. loading worlds, streaming assets, loading times (lack there of), framerates etc

totofogo

Oct 29, 2017
Chicago
Why oh why do poll threads constantly fail to match the title question to the actual poll question. "The biggest leap of next gen" =/= "a big difference in next gen".

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Rumble triggers was something I felt in maybe 1 XB1 game and I wasn't impressed. That's the only newer thing I think will be particularly new.

Only thing I want is longer battery life.

laziboi

Alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2019
Your Anus
Everyone saying HD Rumble is barely used. Nearly all of Nintendo's games use it. Hardware features don't become standard until there's a big title that showcases it. Sony needs to do that with DualSense.

totofogo

Oct 29, 2017
Chicago
Everyone saying HD Rumble is barely used. Nearly all of Nintendo's games use it. Hardware features don't become standard until there's a big title that showcases it. Sony needs to do that with DualSense.

Nintendo also works to ensure third-party titles have some sort of unique leg-up on their platform, and they tout it. This is largely apparent in their Indies directs, and is why you see actual adoption of gyro on Switch. Agreed, when you set the expectation on your user base (as they have with botw, splatoon), they're gonna expect the same from third parties (and fight for a patch / vote with their wallet otherwise, ha).

laziboi

Alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2019
Your Anus
Nintendo also works to ensure third-party titles have some sort of unique leg-up on their platform, and they tout it. This is largely apparent in their Indies directs, and is why you see actual adoption of gyro on Switch. Agreed, when you set the expectation on your user base (as they have with botw, splatoon), they're gonna expect the same from third parties (and fight for a patch / vote with their wallet otherwise, ha).
This is where Sony needs to take a page from Nintendo's playbook and actually have its own developers use their controller features more consistently.

While Sony's first party teams are generally okay at using the features of the controllers, they're not nearly as talented or consistent at it as Nintendo. One of Nintendo's strengths is that all its hardware and software teams are under one roof, thus allowing for seamless communication with staff, and thus, consistent use of controller features when they're applicable. Sony needs to find some kind of solution to match Nintendo in that regard.

Magio

Apr 14, 2020
The DiRT devs on the DualSense:

The DualSense is great. When we got the tech demo up and running the whole studio came around and everyone wanted a go. It offers something new and unique and we felt it fits really well for racing, especially for a game with such diversity of content and cars. Source.

This enthusiasm around so much of the PS5's features from the devs makes me think that they're doing some pretty dope stuff to enable devs to easily leverage those features in a meaningful way.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
I'm positive that it will be downplayed as a "gimmick", though I can see it achieving amazing things for immersion. Probably not the single greatest leap, but if you pair it with 3D audio, next-gen VR, high frame rates and no load times - we're looking at some of the most immersive gaming experiences ever created.

The DiRT devs on the DualSense:

This enthusiasm around so much of the PS5's features from the devs makes me think that they're doing some pretty dope stuff to enable devs to easily leverage those features in a meaningful way.
It's exciting for sure to see developers so enthusiastic about a controller:
Andrea Pessino said:
Robert Krekel said:

Last edited:

Storminormin

Jan 14, 2018
Personally I don't really see how having variable trigger resistance is going to change anything. It'll just be another minor immersion feature like rumble, that you kind of just forget about after playing for a few minutes.

Shin-Ra

Nov 1, 2017
Several hardware and software factors need to come together, like both Adaptive Triggers having plenty of mechanical resistance at the max. so it can be obviously felt and varying levels of resistance are more detectable with the right software implementation. SIE can help that with the right dev tools, hundreds if not thousands of tweakable example resistance curves according to varied game situations and how far depressed the trigger is.

For the VCA (voice coil actuator) haptic feedback, there's no doubt the speaker-like technology's far more responsive and varied than the imbalanced motor method of rumble. The specific DualSense implementation could feel stronger (heavier/more impactful) than Switch's if a greater mass is being shifted, in part necessary to overcome the greater mass of the un-split handle configuration.

Plenty of unknowns about gyro and accelerometer sensor upgrades, polling rates, wireless tech, power efficiency of changed components, how the bottom touchpad light's used (mute indicator?) microphone array beam forming and noise cancellation effectiveness, speaker upgrade and overall feel.

Last edited: