• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Will the DualSense make a big difference in Next Gen?

• Yes

Votes: 667 33.4%
  • No

Votes: 1,329 66.6%

• Total voters

Shairi

Aug 27, 2018
We've seen some Next Gen games in the last month and we're on the verge of the Xbox event where we'll see even more of them.

And don't get me wrong, games like Ratchet & Clank, Horizon Forbidden West, Project Athia & Co. show what new possibilities we can expect from Next Gen. These games look fantastic and show that the SSD will change the design of games in many ways.

D4Qq1VI.jpg
Project-Athia-scaled.jpg

Nonetheless, I'm starting to get the feeling that the biggest leap into Next Gen will come from the DualSense.

Phil Spencer recently said that graphically, we may not be making the biggest leap in the next gen, but rather the focus will be on immersive experiences. The goal that Sony pursued with the DualSense is to provide an even more immersive experience by finally addressing the sense of touch in a stronger way.

Jim Ryan:
[The] DualSense marks a radical departure from our previous controller offerings and captures just how strongly we feel about making a generational leap with PS5.

We've always been able to see the graphical jumps the easiest when we've made generational changes. We could always hear the changes in sound design and we will make a big leap in that area again with 3D Audio. The sense of touch has probably made the smallest jumps in the past and was rather neglected.

I think it's gonna be different this time. Comparatively speaking, we could make the biggest leap in this area with the haptic feedback and adaptive triggers in the DualSense and I'm super excited about it.

dualsense33jyb.png

Will the DualSense make a big difference in how next gen games will feel? Will this be the area where we'll see the biggest leap forward in next gen?

So what do you think?

This is my first thread and I apologize for my flawed english.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
No. The DualSense, while showing up with some neat additions, isn't anywhere close to being at the top of the pile when it comes to showcasing a generational leap.

Aside from the usual suspects (SSD, CPU etc), I'm really looking forward to the next gen PSVR headset. That'd be much higher on the 'immersion' scale, especially if there's a way to make it wireless.

aevanhoe

Slayer of the Eternal Voidslurper
Aug 28, 2018
I think DS will be great - I am really excited about adaptive triggers and haptics.

Nakenorm

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I think it'll be great.
I'm beginning to think that they'll have some cool surprises in store related to the create button. Might be a bigger deal than most think.
But biggest leap? Doubt it.

SleepSmasher

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
There's literally no way to know before at least someone from the press tries it. My understanding is - don't expect too much, just like the XB1 impulse triggers, which although cool, are a novelty at best.

shancake

Managing Editor ‑ Press Start
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I think they've done a poor job at communicating the adaptive triggers. A lot of people still think they're just vibrating triggers.

Guerrilla

Oct 28, 2017
yes, exactly. I was on board for the Impulse Triggers for Xbox one and that didn't amount to a whole lot (its nice but nothing more), then I was on board with HD rumble which fell off a cliff immediately. Now for this I expect some decent ah cool moments on a handfull of first party games but that's it. Biggest leap is an insane stretch....

haveheart

Oct 25, 2017
For me, as a PlayStation user, it sure will be. Moving from the dual shock to the sense With all its new features has me more excited than next gen graphics for sure.

score01

Oct 27, 2017
Don't know about the biggest leap but the addition of more substantial haptics and the resistive triggers coupled with their 3D Audio tempest stuff means we are in for a lot more than just shiny new graphics in the PS eco system.

Oct 30, 2017
Can't see it pushing off.

We always get these neat little new things at the start of the gen.

very rarely does it pay off and or get adopted by other studios/platforms

Oct 27, 2017
I'm certainly interested in those triggers, but I think the effect will be extremely subtle in most games.

Certainly be good for racing games though. The Xbox One's tactile triggers were barely noticeable in 99% of games, but they made the feedback in racing games feel a bunch richer.

Guerrilla

Oct 28, 2017
I think they've done a poor job at communicating the adaptive triggers. A lot of people still think they're just vibrating triggers.
I mean due to the sheer wattage that would be needed to have this work like force feedback back in the day, I don't expect it to be anywhere close to that. And even that wasn't exactly a game changer...

deadmonkeyuk

Oct 27, 2017
Highlands, Scotland
I am hoping the biggest leap will be HD Audio.

The Last of Us 2 has some great audio, but the thought of a ND game with such a leap in sound quality and placement is very exciting.

I think SSDs will get most of the headlines in regard to a generational leap as its something brand new for consoles..

upinsmoke

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
i'm most excited about the DS and 3d audio. Sony are pushing these things hard and whilst i'm always interested in visuals and how the ssd can change game development and idea's around them i think it'll be those two things which make me more excited.

Kivvi

Jun 25, 2018
I don't know if it will make a big difference but I hope Sony pushes gyro aim this gen so it becomes an universal standard option for games with aiming.

civet

Jul 6, 2019
France
Will have to see how it's being applied in games but I'm never really fond of those gimmicks.
I always end up turning vibrations off as the physical noises it makes is just annoying.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
Since the controller is literally the only thing I care about, as I want it for my PC, yeah, sure.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Don't know about biggest leap but it's probably the biggest difference between the two consoles given MS seems content with just ergonomic adjustments. I'm interested in its new features, with the exception of the mic, but now that it's confirmed to return, I mostly hope developers use the gyro sensor more consistently now as an aiming option, or that Sony at least lets users map it to the right stick at an OS-level for games (just copy Steam Input). It'll be unfortunate if once again the controller ships with an accurate aiming method built in and yet it still ends being a better PC controller.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
The adaptive triggers are potentially interesting, if they get widely supported. Thought I'd have to actually feel what the sensation is like when encountering "resistance" with them. Nothing else about the controller is much of a big leap at all, let alone the "biggest" leap.

SSD and CPU upgrades are by far the biggest leaps this gen, in terms of what they will enable.

Jegriva

Banned
Sep 23, 2019
It could very well be the new "analog buttons". I hope not, but I've been burned by HD Rumble already.

Sande

Oct 25, 2017
Difficult to say. I have a hard time imagining how impactful it's gonna be. Regular rumble is completely whatever, but maybe it'll be a meaningful step forward.

My money is still on the SSD.

Poison Jam

Nov 6, 2017
Sony's got a pretty good track record of putting out cool hardware, and not supporting it for long. Most Playstation exclusives don't even make good use of the Dualshock 4 functions (trackpad, gyro). Then there's Move, and Vita..

I hope it'll be extensively used, but I fear it won't. And part of that is down to multiplat titles and Xbox being frustratingly conservative with their new controller. Not even gyro....

Samanyolu

Apr 27, 2019
No idea what to expect from the DualSense, as I don't even know what adaptive triggers would feel like, but I feel like the immersive part on both ends (Sony and MS) refers to ease of use of the console. The nearly non-existent loading times and a much more responsive UI are probably the parade horse in immersion, I think. No slowing down, just start and go!

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
OP, you do have a point.

Phil did mention immersion in that recent interview.....

I'll put the controller under the SSD tho. I do think we might see more of an immediate display of the controller vs the SSD. Most are so hung up on load times so...

I would like to see a nice comparison between R n C PS4 vs PS5. Compare the world design.

Last edited:

Deleted member 8784

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The problem is with controller upgrades is that they're not often supported properly by any games except for the first party ones. I still give the PS4 touchpad evils for being little more than a giant "go to orbit" button.

I think the SSD and the pumped up CPU's will be the bigger difference. I always hear that the CPU was the biggest bottleneck this generation.

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
If they improve the audio quality through headphone jack and actually supports 3D audio then yeah, sure.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
Most games probably won't really take advantage of it, just like most exclusive hardware features. SSDs and new CPUs are the biggest things next gen.

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Sony's got a pretty good track record of putting out cool hardware, and not supporting it for long. Most Playstation exclusives don't even make good use of the Dualshock 4 functions (trackpad, gyro). Then there's Move, and Vita..

I hope it'll be extensively used, but I fear it won't. And part of that is down to multiplat titles and Xbox being frustratingly conservative with their new controller. Not even gyro....

This is what I was thinking.

The DualShock 4 is seemingly packed with features that very few games actually take advantage of.

My prediction is first year a bunch of cool if not slightly gimmicky uses of the controller......then back to using the controller exactly like its a Xbox 360 controller with even the trackpad being just an extra button or alternate to a button press we already have.

Im curious to see what those that do use its features do with them.
But I dont expect any sort of "gamechanging" use in general.
Whereas I expect games to properly take advantage of the SSD for the vast majority of the time.

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
PSVR2 with the new controllers will be the big leap besides the SSD.

Lirion

Oct 25, 2017
I would say the SSD and maybe the cpu but I can't deny that I'm really really looking forward to try out what they'll do with the DualSense.

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
No. The DualSense, while showing up with some neat additions, isn't anywhere close to being at the top of the pile when it comes to showcasing a generational leap.

Aside from the usual suspects (SSD, CPU etc), I'm really looking forward to the next gen PSVR headset. That'd be much higher on the 'immersion' scale, especially if there's a way to make it wireless.

Isn't wireless essentially the Oculus Quest? I am not sure that is next gen when it is current gen.

Anyway, I think DualSense will end up like the touchpad on the current PS4 controller.

Lockjaw333

Oct 28, 2017
Consoles finally getting SSDs, and a non budget laptop-tier CPU will make the biggest differences.

SgtCobra

Oct 25, 2017
It's the SSD, something some people still need time for to accept.
Still very interested in how that new controller holds up, the DS4 was/is terrible.

OnPorpoise

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I think the biggest leap of the next-gen is the combination of multiple fairly large upgrades happening all at once.

thisismadness

Oct 25, 2017
Every gen Sony hypes some new controller innovation. Every gen new controller innovations are barely/poorly used. I hope the Dense Sense's features deliver on the hype but I have zero expectation that it will happen.

Mar 11, 2019
100% positive that it makes a small difference adding to the overall experience and complete package. But I find it hard to believe that it would make a very big difference in me experiencing the games, but developers seem to be very positive towards its new features.

I am at least happy that the next gen controller at least provides major improvements and features over the current gen, as apposed to MS approach which I completely don't understand. 8 years later and DS4 provides useful features over their next gen controller. I don't want to sound harsh but I find it ridiculous.