• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SHOWDOWN: What is your favorite real time strategy game?

• Age of Empires II

Votes: 169 23.0%
  • Starcraft

Votes: 93 12.7%
  • Starcraft II

Votes: 66 9.0%
  • C&C Red Alert 2

Votes: 150 20.4%
  • Warcraft III

Votes: 116 15.8%
  • Other

Votes: 141 19.2%

• Total voters

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15
Myth 1&2. They are called real time tactics, but I don't see the difference.
220px-Myth_-_The_Fallen_Lords.jpg

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
My experience with RTS is incredibly limited (didn't even know C&C was a thing until a few years ago, for instance) but with that said Warcraft 2 is my favorite.

Kongo B

Sep 8, 2019
Europe
I have very fond memories of many of the titles that have been mentioned, but Starcraft 2 takes the crown for me. And I'm not surprised to see how it's the least voted in the poll. I still think it's the most demanding multiplayer game I've ever played. The 3 campaigns were fun but the competitive 1v1 side is what makes it special for me, and I encourage everyone to take a peep at the insanity that is the Korean GSL scene (which is currently ongoing, regardless of the pandemic).

Deleted member 31133

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
The correct answer is Dawn of War. Especially with the Dark Crusade expansion. Probably the best RTS game ever made.

Total Annihilation is a close second.

OP
OP
SuikerBrood

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
I have very fond memories of many of the titles that have been mentioned, but Starcraft 2 takes the crown for me. And I'm not surprised to see how it's the least voted in the poll. I still think it's the most demanding multiplayer game I've ever played. The 3 campaigns were fun but the competitive 1v1 side is what makes it special for me, and I encourage everyone to take a peep at the insanity that is the Korean GSL scene (which is currently ongoing, regardless of the pandemic).

I remember watching quite some StarCraft II e-Sports shortly after the release of Wings of Liberty. At that time I was playing online myself.

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
For me it's a split between Age of Empires and StarCraft 2.

Dawn of War deserses a mention too.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018

Not surprising that it is that low, since this is ResetEra. Multiplayer and esports are not exactly what this forum is known for.

Kongo B

Sep 8, 2019
Europe
I remember watching quite some StarCraft II e-Sports shortly after the release of Wings of Liberty. At that time I was playing online myself.

The current state of the game is the best Starcraft has ever been, honestly. The early game is actually much faster than it used to be, players have to aggressively expand all the time, and of course the pros are just unbelievable at this point. It's a shame that Mobas completely stole its spotlight, but then again, I understand the wider appeal of a much more forgiving team battle experience. Competitive SC is a nerve racking massacre, and I love it for that.

ekim

Oct 26, 2017
I voted RA2 but I think I would go with Dune 2 - it was my first RTS and I played it to death as a kid.
Honorable mentions:
- Total Annihilation
- Warhammer: Dark Omen
- C&C1 with the Add-on (that made me throw my mouse)

Jasper

Mar 21, 2018
Netherlands
To me, Warcraft III has the most gripping story, Homeworld the most beautiful setting, Company of Heroes the best gameplay and Age of Empires II has the best modern implementation of a classic, obviously.

Elfgore

Mar 2, 2020
Warcraft III. Those campaigns are legendary and have managed to stick with me for over a decade now.

Oct 27, 2017
Finland
Played all of those and enjoyed all of them, though SC2 I enjoyed way less than the others (and played only the first game of the three actually).

Was a bit hard initially to decide between Starcraft and Warcraft 3, but after thinking about it, Warcraft 3 came as the clear winner for me. I really liked the concept and implementation of heroes and the gameplay with fairly small armies was great. The story too. The custom maps is the primary reason why I enjoyed it the most though - so many hours spent on so many games within the game. Besides spending countless of hours on the original DotA there, also enjoyed especially the various LotR games (particularly Ring Wars, which was a 6v6 map with a heavy focus on managing the heroes but also a lot of management of large armies). But played a lot of smaller games too.

StarCraft II isn't getting much love thus far.

What were peoples gripes with that one?
I had a few problems:

- The story sucked.
- The custom map system just didn't feel nearly as good as in WC3. Of course, when I played the game there had been hardly been that much time for the community to make good maps, but still, if I remember correctly, Blizzard had a lot more restrictive policy with it anyway regarding ownership.
- This might well be just me but when playing multiplayer, I always felt their matching system couldn't find the correct level of challenge for me. At times I kept winning multiple matches in a row, but then it would start to put me against players to whom I lost all the time. Then again it would put against easier opponents and I'd win all matches again etc etc.

Especially the terrible story was such a massive disappointment after Broodwar and WC3.

StarCraft II

To me, complaining about SC2 because the story is bad is like trashing a fighting game for the same reason. I get it, Brood War had a great story but that's not really the reason why it's a masterpiece. And as someone who played BW for 12 years straight, I'd say SC2 is the not only a perfect sequel, but one of the greatest games of all time. Pure RTS perfection.
RTS games were a huge part of my childhood. But back then I didn't even play multiplayer, partly because I was so young but also because the connections were very limited. So while I enjoyed the gameplay in those games, the story and the setup for the scenarios was a huge part of the joy that the games gave to me. And thus that is what I've come to expect from RTS games.

AbsoluteZero0K

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 6, 2019
StarCraft II isn't getting much love thus far.

What were peoples gripes with that one?

It was good, not great.

Particularly because it took them several years to release the entire game.

Remember when the orcs in Warcraft 3 had to free themselves of blood magic from the demons and become mystics? They repeated the same story bits with the Zerg and the overmind and the Xel'Naga Primal Zerg? Xel'Naga dude being the bad guy all along, a complete retcon of the original game story? Karen--I mean Kerrigan being this chosen one who's going to save the entire universe??? That's why the overmind wanted to take control of her to free itself from Amon's control, but she's also under Amon's control and that's why Jim has to save her in wings of liberty

Man what?

Over time the meta changed multiple times making it hard to pin down.

GSG

Oct 25, 2017
RA2

But I also really like C&C Generals. Wish there was a proper remake of both games.

NavNucST3

Nov 13, 2017
I enjoy most of the titles listed but I'd say that Dune 2, Dark Reign, and Rise of Nations are ones that I have the most fond memories of and return to the most.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
AOE II easily out of the major ones. But my favorite RTS back in the day were Homeworld: Cataclysm and Ground Control.

lazygecko

Oct 25, 2017
Yuri's Revenge probably has my favorite single player campaign for a RTS, for the Soviets in particular because of how sheer fucking bonkers it is. The first mission starts out with invading San Francisco to steal a time machine, only for you to travel back too far by accident and have to survive a gauntlet of dinosaurs. That pretty much sets the tone for the rest of the campaign. I don't think Red Alert 3 ever really had a chance to live up to it.

I finally played through the Starcraft 2 campaigns last yer after boycotting the game since release over Blizzard region locking the multiplayer. The Terran campaign wasn't bad at all. By the zerg campaign the cracks in the storytelling were starting to really show. By the protoss campaign I really didn't give a shit any more and just set the difficulty to the lowest halfway through so I could be done with it. It's a pretty amazing accomplishment by Blizzard to have all the time in the world for their games, and in the end they screwed up the Starcraft story arc even more than EA did with the uber-rushed C&C4.

Nowadays my RTS consumption mostly amounts to watching casts/VoDs for OpenRA and occasionally C&C3. The C&C gameplay formula remains my favorite and I enjoy watching the competitive multiplayer with all its unpredictable twists and turns (I feel that the Blizzard formula lends itself more toward snowballing and the tables aren't as likely to turn on a dime).

LightInfa

Oct 27, 2017
I've got the disc. What happens when I pop that in (assuming I'd have a dvd player :') )

It'll still work! You might have to fight around with compatibility settings and DirectX to get it work, but I just finished reinstalling everything a few weeks agos because of quarantine. Still has amazingly active mod scene, plus community hosted servers to keep multiplayer going, which have all been implemented via community patches.

iceblade

Oct 25, 2017
For me it'd be C&C 3 / Kane's Wrath, but since that wasn't listed I'd have to go for RA2. I love C&C3 though, and still have fond memories of building my first PC just to play it, then being wowed by the graphics and performance. It still looks beautiful, the campaign was really fun, and the multiplayer gets really frenetic. Kane's Wrath really took everything about the game and amped it up, too. It's just a pity that EA pulled patch support after only 2 patches. I think what i like most about the games is that they have a good balance between speed (6-10 minutes isn't uncommon for shorter games) and unit/faction variety. The games are also more macro heavy, which I prefer. Of course micro does make a difference, but there can be some truly massive battles mixed in, even if it's only 2 players.

I was never really able to get into Starcraft (or anything by Blizzard, for that matter), and while I played AoE 2 a lot, it doesn't have as many fond memories. As for CoH that was too micro-heavy for me.

Sinatar

Oct 25, 2017
Cursed poll.

My favs: Rise of Nations, Kohan: Ahriman's Gift, Supreme Commander, Sins of a Solar Empire, Dawn of War

OtterX

Mar 12, 2020
I enjoy most of the titles listed but I'd say that Dune 2, Dark Reign, and Rise of Nations are ones that I have the most fond memories of and return to the most.
Glad you brought up Dark Reign. I have fond memories of that as well. Dark Reign 1 & 2 were solid.

Last edited:

Deleted member 18021

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Company of Heroes 2 would be my favorite RTS if there weren't a whole bunch of wehraboos and tankies playing it.

mute

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
This is not a genre I really get a chance to enjoy anymore but I'm a huge Total Annihilation fanboy.

Prolepro

Ghostwire: BooShock
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
My favorite is a tie:

Lord of the Rings: Battle for Middle-Earth 2
the-lord-of-the-rings-the-battle-for-middle-earth-ii.jpg

and Total War Warhammer (series):
Total-War-Warhammer-II-The-Warden-and-the-Paunch-Gamers-Heroes.jpg

I dont think LOTR BFME 2 gets enough love from the RTS community, but I did spend most of my time playing it as a young teenager so I cant speak to its balance. I absolutely loved it at the time and may have spent more time playing it than most other multiplayer games at the time.

lazygecko

Oct 25, 2017
For me it'd be C&C 3 / Kane's Wrath, but since that wasn't listed I'd have to go for RA2. I love C&C3 though, and still have fond memories of building my first PC just to play it, then being wowed by the graphics and performance. It still looks beautiful, the campaign was really fun, and the multiplayer gets really frenetic. Kane's Wrath really took everything about the game and amped it up, too. It's just a pity that EA pulled patch support after only 2 patches. I think what i like most about the games is that they have a good balance between speed (6-10 minutes isn't uncommon for shorter games) and unit/faction variety. The games are also more macro heavy, which I prefer. Of course micro does make a difference, but there can be some truly massive battles mixed in, even if it's only 2 players.

I was never really able to get into Starcraft (or anything by Blizzard, for that matter), and while I played AoE 2 a lot, it doesn't have as many fond memories. As for CoH that was too micro-heavy for me.

Everything just comes together really nicely in C&C3. Simple moment to moment stuff like doing a bike rush on harvesters while evading the response feels better than ever with how the vehicles manuever, the missile behavior, the sound design and everything.

Formation move and reverse move (along with the directional armor to leverage that) are also excellent additions that add more dimensions to the combat without getting too micro focused.

If they ever get around to remastering the 3D C&Cs they really just need to make them 60fps, update the shaders and post processing effects and that would really be enough to modernize them without remaking any assets.

Bruceleeroy

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orange County
I'll start. My favorite strategy game of all time is Warcraft III. The way Blizzard combined RPG elements into the genre was really interesting to me. The custom games added so many possibilites. I've played tower defenses, RPG's, survival games and everything in between on Warcraft III.

The remaster is a sad end (I hope they fix it..) to this glorious game.

Other contestants for me would be Age of Empires II and Red Alert 2. StarCraft has never been my favorite franchise, though I was Platinum on the StarCraft II ladder. But it was just too much work at some point. So many clicks..

Yup same. Warcraft III was just sublime and the most fun I've had with any RTS game since

Dinjooh

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Both Age of Empires II and Red Alert II defined my childhood and I have so many fond memories with the other boys all huddled up in a very small room, with very big computers.

I have to give it to Age of Empires because the franchise as a whole has brought he way more joy. I enjoyed the number 1, 3 and mythology a lot as well. C&C has been more hit or miss for me.

maGs

Oct 27, 2017
Other.
For me its got to be the early entries in the Stronghold series....
That or Rise of Nations.