• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SHOWDOWN: What is your favorite real time strategy game?

• Age of Empires II

Votes: 169 23.0%
  • Starcraft

Votes: 93 12.7%
  • Starcraft II

Votes: 66 9.0%
  • C&C Red Alert 2

Votes: 150 20.4%
  • Warcraft III

Votes: 116 15.8%
  • Other

Votes: 141 19.2%

• Total voters

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
I've put some of the biggest games in the history of real time strategy games in one ring. Now it's up to ResetEra. Who is your favorite? Who would you put your money on?

In one corner we have:

- Age of Empires 2
cTK3Kng.png
5N0OENI.png
wdjpgsC.png

The real time strategy game made by Ensemble Studios and recently remastered by Forgotten Empires and Tantalus is currently one of the most enjoyed games on PC. It released back in 1999 and is still loved by many. Its campaigns based on real history have taught many children more about history than their actual history classes. The multiplayer is still alive and well, with the recent Wololo Red Bull Championship being held with 20 thousand dollars prize money. A new game, Age of Empires 4, is coming very soon. And the ongoing popularity of Age 2 must give World's Edge and Relic, the studios behind the fourth installment, some confidence that there is an audience for these games.

In another corner we have
- StarCraft & StarCraft BroodWar
IWzteaL.png
CkCAEfB.png
zvWS6nY.png

Enter any internet cafe in Korea in the early 2000's and you'd see people play StarCraft Broodwar. It was the prime strategy games for years and set up a lot of groundwork for current e-Sports scenes. It has recently seen a well received remaster, which has given the game a breath of fresh life.

In a corner very close to that corner we have
- StarCraft II Wings of Liberty, Legacy of the Void and Heart of the Swarm
WrE0cMR.png
E3jFAWs.png
whxpHtB.png

The most recent game (if we don't count remasters) in this showdown. It could've well been Blizzard's last shot at creating a triple A strategy game. The game has some of the best rock-paper-scissor balancing in the genre and is intense to play.

In a completely different corner we have
- Command and Conquer: Red Alert & Red Alert 2 Yuri's Revenge
lVDcP5f.png
R6LNwiz.png

With its iconic cutscenes and great campaign Red Alert II is arguably one of Westwood's best creations. Whenever you hear 'Kirov reporting' you'd still shit your pants to this day. It is among many of the Command and Conquer games that could've been part of this poll.

in another corner from Blizzard Entertainment (are they paying for this event?!) we have:

- Warcraft III Reign of Chaos and Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne
lJGtYOb.png
CNXOgHv.png
PK5H9Mz.png

The game with the worst reputation these days, due to a horrible remaster which removed the old game. But, this game was truly revolutionary when it launched. It merged real time strategy gameplay and RPG mechanics in a unique experience. Some people say WarCraft III is the reason the genre died. It spawned the popular moba genre as we know it today, with Defense of the Ancients. Or DotA.

So, who would win in this fight according to you? Who would you put your money on?
Or, do you have a different competitor that should've been in this ring? And I'm interested to hear your perspective, what kind of RTS do you like? Do you still play them? Etc.

Last edited:
OP
OP
SuikerBrood

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
I'll start. My favorite strategy game of all time is Warcraft III. The way Blizzard combined RPG elements into the genre was really interesting to me. The custom games added so many possibilites. I've played tower defenses, RPG's, survival games and everything in between on Warcraft III.

The remaster is a sad end (I hope they fix it..) to this glorious game.

Other contestants for me would be Age of Empires II and Red Alert 2. StarCraft has never been my favorite franchise, though I was Platinum on the StarCraft II ladder. But it was just too much work at some point. So many clicks..

Oct 27, 2017
RA2.

Will say more later.

Edit:

Red Alert 2 is a really special game. The game is the whole package. It has everything I would ever want from a game.
The campaigns are really fun and enjoyable to go through. Really cool cutscenes and the cheese is a big part of why it is so appealing to me.
Everywhere in the game you could find cool elements. Wether it is the units and their voices, the really amazing art direction, the music, the map variety. It just feels right.

Then we get to the expansion pack. A really cool plot with time travel and even dinos! Two campaigns that have twists and turns, new faction, new units for the old factions, new maps, new music!

And oh my god the music! Such excellency:

...can only be done by a genius like Frank Klepacki.

Last edited:

Deleted member 34714

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 28, 2017
Wc3 has the perfect mix of micro and macro gameplay for me with the hero units and grinding xp before you attack with an army which didn't get too big. Just felt good in a way that you weren't just amassing a massive army, especially playing as Orc.

Deleted member 13645

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Warcraft 3 by a country mile. Loved the campaign and the custom games, spent so many hours playing custom maps. Tower defenses, RPGs, footman frenzy, etc.

Which just makes me all the more bummed about what "Reforged" ended up being.

Ronnie Poncho

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It's Red Alert 2, closely followed by Age of Empires 2, but also honourable mention for Company of Heroes 1 and Dawn of War Imperial Assault

Mixen

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'll start. My favorite strategy game of all time is Warcraft III. The way Blizzard combined RPG elements into the genre was really interesting to me. The custom games added so many possibilites. I've played tower defenses, RPG's, survival games and everything in between on Warcraft III.

The remaster is a sad end (I hope they fix it..) to this glorious game.

Other contestants for me would be Age of Empires II and Red Alert 2. StarCraft has never been my favorite franchise, though I was Platinum on the StarCraft II ladder. But it was just too much work at some point. So many clicks..

I agree! The single player campain in WC3 is fantastic and it's probably the only strategy game I've enjoyed playing online.
I love the other games in the list aswell but WC3 is on another level for me.

Z6E1Z9O

Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
rise of nations for me, and if the multiplayer was actually working properly it would be one of my favorite games ever

SJRB

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tiberian Sun for sentimental value, but considering the poll options I'm going with Red Alert 2. It's just so good.

captainmal01

Oct 28, 2017
Total war series, probably Warhammer 2, yes yes it's a hybrid, but it counts to me.
Total Annihilation is pretty good, if I played Supreme Commander I'd probably enjoy it too.

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
I'm mostly just a single player campaign player and enjoyed the original Red Alert most. The C&C series in general is my favourite for that.

Phokal

Oct 25, 2017
WI
I voted for ra2 but really Westwood on a whole. RA2 is better balanced and a better modern game, but RA1 in the moment was extraordinary.

Leaving off Homeworld and Company of Heroes and Dawn of War is rough. No Relic or Total War love? Blizzard is great but the list could use more diversity.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
Please elaborate. What's the Blizzard aesthetic?

Everything including the characters having an overly chunky, cartoony look

I like the larger army and base building focus of AoE more out of those games personally. It's been a very long time since I played Red Alert 2 though, I can remember Generals a lot more clearly although its not considered to be as good

I also really liked Empire Earth, loved being able to start as cavemen and finish in any time period

OP
OP
SuikerBrood

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
I voted for ra2 but really Westwood on a whole. RA2 is better balanced and a better modern game, but RA1 in the moment was extraordinary.

Leaving off Homeworld and Company of Heroes and Dawn of War is rough. No Relic or Total War love? Blizzard is great but the list could use more diversity.

Yeah, I could've passed on StarCraft II. What game do you think should be in the poll? Homeworld, Company of Heroes, Dawn of War or Supreme Commander?

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Starcraft is the GOAT, I will accept no substitute. It has a great campaign, and while I was never good at the actual RTS bits, the UMS games and whole Battle.net subculture are something I'll appreciate for my entire life. Starcraft is the definition of a classic because of all the brilliant design decisions--and continued support--that went into it.

Though, Blizzard's work to enable and empower custom maps in WC3 was phenomenal. Entire genres got off the ground because of it, and I'll always be thankful for it.

Lausebub

Nov 4, 2017
Mine is probably the Settlers IV. It is not the most competetiv or complex rts, but it is super chill and relaxing.

It also has a killer soundtrack

SiedlerHistoryCollection_Siedler4_05.jpg

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019
Yeah, I could've passed on StarCraft II. What game do you think should be in the poll? Homeworld, Company of Heroes, Dawn of War or Supreme Commander?

Total Annihilation
C&C 95
Red Alert 1
Dune 2
Homeworld 1+2+Deserts of Kharak
Company of Heroes
Dawn of War
World in Conflict
Ground Control

Deleted member 34714

Banned
Nov 28, 2017
Now you're just adding more options. I can ask a mod to add one or two options to the poll. If we remove StarCraft II. =P

Seriously? Because some don't bring up whats wrong with SC2 or vote SC2? My only problem with SC2 is that it's so macro heavy and efficiency in how you use your units + expanding to overcome your opponent's economy was too competitive for me to keep up with and not my thing but i won't say it was a bad RTS game.

OP
OP
SuikerBrood

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
Seriously? Because some don't bring up whats wrong with SC2 or vote SC2? My only problem with SC2 is that it's so macro heavy and efficiency in how you use your units + expanding to overcome your opponent's economy was too competitive for me to keep up with and not my thing but i won't say it was a bad RTS game.

I'm not saying it's a bad game. But maybe Supreme Commander or Company of Heroes would've been better options in the poll.

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
Rise of Nations and Sins of a Solar Empire are my 2 favorite RTS games. I guess I like some light 4x elements in my RTS games.

Deleted member 61326

Banned
Nov 12, 2019
I've spent many hours playing Red Alert, but for some reason I never played Red Alert 2. So lacking that specific poll option, I'm going with RA 2. Honourably mention to WarCraft 2.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Age of Empires II is the GOAT, but I also love Starcraft.

Never played Warcraft for some reason.

Moff

Oct 26, 2017
my vote goes to starcraft II because the single player campaigns are what I love the most about RTS and while the story was stupid the campaign and mission design of starcraft II is absolutely stellar.