• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Aaronmac

Nov 12, 2017
The mod works on the emulation layer. This is extremely disappointing. Nintendo continues to treat its most hardcore fans and supporters of their games like garbage.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
It continues to boggle my mind how much Nintendo gives a shit about their intellectual property when they could care fuck all about everything else. Competitive Smash could be one of the biggest deals on the planet, and yet continues to thumb their nose at it even when they are playing a near 20-year old game.

And they're supposed to be the good guys and the most pro-consumer of the games industry!
To the first: Because their IPs are what make them money, not investing in tournament scenes. The vast majority of the 23 million + people who have purchased Smash Bros Ultimate have never once set eyes on a Smash tourney, let alone a melee tourney specifically. It's not like with Capcom or NRS where a strong minority of the consumer base for their fighting games are tourney players or viewers and, thus, it behooves them to invest in the scene. The fact that they're playing a 20 year old game is even more reason for then to not care about the scene, but the IP. They don't make a thin red cent off of copies of Melee anymore, but playing it with Slippi means it's not the game disk but a copy of an ISO and that's gonna draw attention eventually.

To the second: To begin with, they're a corporation. There's no such thing as the "good guys". People need to stop expecting them to be their friends. The majority of consumers aren't affected by this. Pointing back to the ISO thing for a moment, the people playing in the Melee tournament are, by definition, not consumers of that Nintendo product. But in terms of actual anti-consumer practices like predatory loot boxes or and such? Yeah, they're a shitton better than a lot of their competitors.

Last edited:

sensui-tomo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Warned: Drive-By Posting
edit: made a bad hot take. Going to leave before I embarrass myself any further. Sorry for the discourse.

OP
OP
Soulflarz

Soulflarz

Oct 25, 2017
ok my facebook ad after talking about slippi and the legalities of emulation for the past hour definitely made me laugh
6emgCex.png

Ah the fans of smash already throw trash at each other so whats the difference. https://kotaku.com/spectator-throws-dead-crab-at-super-smash-bros-tournam-1834214643

Hbox is pretty hated within the actual tournament community, for what it's worth. Not really a nice guy and has done a LOT of bad things. Doesn't make the crab right, but giving some context at least.

edit: can people stop coming into here to go fuck smash with no actual context to the situation? It's obnoxious as hell to just go "lol well smashers ARE shit people as a whole so they deserve this!"

Strittles

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Man, Nintendo suck so hard when it comes to fan communities. I love that there's still Melee tournaments to watch during the pandemic thanks to Slippi, and now they're going to take that away.

Lady Bow

Nov 30, 2017

Belthazar90

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
No one actually calls them pro-consumer.

they've always been labeled on the other side more often
[/QUOTE]

Yup, Nintendo is definitely the most anti-consumer™ of the big three... I don't know how would anyone call them even slightly pro-consumer.

h0mebas3

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nobody is stopping them. If they are serious they should stand their ground. Broadcast anyway. If they get sued, face legal action, and have to deplete their savings in a court case so be it. Sometimes you should stand up for your rights.

If they end up doing jail time we will all applaud them as heroes.

dmgdbug

Oct 27, 2017
smash ultimate online is a travesty that has essentially killed my desire to play. no surprise they continue their backwards views

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
Nobody is stopping them. If they are serious they should stand their ground. Broadcast anyway. If they get sued, face legal action, and have to deplete their savings in a court case so be it. Sometimes you should stand up for your rights.

That's the dumbest idea I've seen regarding this issue. Have the TOs bankrupt themselves all for some internet clout.

collige

Oct 31, 2017

Nintendo would just go after them on copyright grounds and probably win unless they manage to set a fair use precedent that affects the entire industry. The Slippi/Anther's Ladder devs are the ones that should be willing to fight, but I think Nintendo is smart enough to not do that.

FPX

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Easy for people to say dumb shit like "other people should stop being cowards and sacrifice and lose everything."

I don't think ANYONE would accept losing everything and going to jail so some internet randos can think they're cool, wtf

h0mebas3

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's the dumbest idea I've seen regarding this issue. Have the TOs bankrupt themselves all for some internet clout.

I'm not saying for internet clout. If they truly believe they are in the right. They should stand up for themselves and fight it even if the repercussions are severe.

h0mebas3

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Easy for people to say dumb shit like "other people should stop being cowards and sacrifice and lose everything."

I don't think ANYONE would accept losing everything and going to jail so some internet randos can think they're cool, wtf

All I am saying is they feel they are in the right. If they do, they should stand up for their rights and fight it. Even if they lose everything, you can't put a price on your or principles is all I am saying.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC

These people would literally be in financial ruin that they likely could not recover from for this. Right or wrong doesn't matter here, the financial resources to prove it do.

Peleo

Nov 2, 2017
#FreeMelee

I understand Nintendo might not want to partner with them, but the C&D is just icing on the top of the cake. Nintendo did very little to make Smash grow as an esport and often have actively hindered its growth. This is the latest iteration

h0mebas3

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
These people would literally be in financial ruin that they likely could not recover from for this. Right or wrong doesn't matter here, the financial resources to prove it do.

I think they should take it as far as they can until they can no longer afford to fight it. Setup a patreon and ask for help. People have lost their lives for their principles. I think they should proceed and if ruin comes, so be it.

Flon

Is Here to Kill Chaos
Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo like to go out of their way to ensure that anything related to online Smash is a miserable experience for everyone.

Roliq

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 23, 2018
Yup, Nintendo is definitely the most anti-consumer™ of the big three... I don't know how would anyone call them even slightly pro-consumer.
Pretty sure most of the time they are called that because people misuse the term and believe it means "they did something i don't like"

FPX

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
All I am saying is they feel they are in the right. If they do, they should stand up for their rights and fight it. Even if they lose everything, you can't put a price on your or principles is all I am saying.

The right to host a video game event is not worth the ruination of one's life and the loss of one's rights. Which is what happens when you go to jail, and even after you are released. You lose your rights.

This isn't Nintendo taking away someone's citizenship, or family, or right to vote. It's a fucking video game event.

Financial ruin isn't something you can just shrug off and move on from, lmao. Can't believe people expect others to ruin their lives as if it's nothing from the safety of your room, lmao. You can't say "I think they should sacrifice everything, if they lose everything so be it." How about YOU sacrifice everything?

Deleted member 5491

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People all over twitch are also getting banned for streaming Age of Calamity right now.
Even for it being out in Japan and Australia. Heck, even an japanese Streamer got banned.
The fuck is going on Nintendo?

GrantDaNasty

Oct 27, 2017
"Nintendo has every right to defend their IPs and properties, and to make decisions relevant to their business"
"WHY IS COMPANY XYZ SO ANTI-CONSUMER?"

Again, just because Nintendo has right legally doesn't mean it's the right decision to make, but who am I kidding, people will continue to side with Nintendo on this one regardless of their opinions on the subject in any other case.

Zyrox

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Ah Nintendo made a statement. And it makes sense. This was never about slippi being a mod or whatever. It was always about emulation which is a thorn in Nintendo's side. Sure, you technically can make completely legal copies of games and play them on emulators but realistically, how many people are gonna do that? So I can totally understand why Nintendo is not okay with this.
Sucks but they didn't take Slippi down or anything, so online play is gonna continue just fine.

WindUp

Oct 30, 2017
Pretty sure most of the time they are called that because people misuse the term and believe it means "they did something i don't like"
I mean, there is legal precedent that allows consumers to backup games they've purchased. They just released a statement saying that emulators require use of illegally copied games. To me, that's pretty clearly "anti-consumer".

collige

Oct 31, 2017
Potential workaround idea: Run the tournament offline and just put out the replay files + audio commentary. Someone could build a better replay viewer into Slippi that syncs the audio and everyone can watch at their leisure.

I think they should take it as far as they can until they can no longer afford to fight it. Setup a patreon and ask for help. People have lost their lives for their principles. I think they should proceed and if ruin comes, so be it.
No one thinks the TOs are ultimately in the right. They are in their rights to use the emulator, but at the end of the day Nintendo can treat them like any other streamer.

OP
OP
Soulflarz

Soulflarz

Oct 25, 2017
Ah Nintendo made a statement. And it makes sense. This was never about slippi being a mod or whatever. It was always about emulation which is a thorn in Nintendo's side. Sure, you technically can make completely legal copies of games and play them on emulators but realistically, how many people are gonna do that? So I can totally understand why Nintendo is not okay with this.
Sucks but they didn't take Slippi down or anything, so online play is gonna continue just fine.
Because courts have pretty much said they're in the wrong for 20yr so they have no place calling it criminal activity other than to put stigma on it.

Horohorohoro

Jan 28, 2019
I genuinely don't get how someone can defend Nintendo in this situation. Not only is it stupid to do this in the first place, getring mad at people playing a game online in the middle of a pandemic is genuinely scummy lmao

Zyrox

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Because courts have pretty much said they're in the wrong for 20yr so they have no place calling it criminal activity other than to put stigma on it.

I know emulation itself is legal. I'm saying that most people don't use emulation in the legal way and thus it makes sense that Nintendo takes issue with it.

Chindogg

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
East Lansing, MI
Anyone who's been around for a while has known that Nintendo's never wanted Melee around for the past decade. Nor do they want any modifications to their software, period. Same thing happened with Project M. This is nothing new nor surprising.

I wonder if Nintendo will ever go after GDQ?

They sponsor GDQ and GDQ doesn't profit off of their software so most likely not.

WindUp

Oct 30, 2017
Anyone who's been around for a while has known that Nintendo's never wanted Melee around for the past decade. Nor do they want any modifications to their software, period. Same thing happened with Project M. This is nothing new nor surprising.
But Slippi is not a modification to their software, as is stated in the OP and many times in this thread. They just released a statement that effectively said emulation is illegal, which has frustrated many as there is legal precedent to support the contrary.

Chindogg

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
East Lansing, MI
But Slippi is not a modification to their software, as is stated in the OP and many times in this thread. They just released a statement that effectively said emulation is illegal, which has frustrated many people as there is legal precedent to support the contrary.

You gonna fight them in court? Be my guest.

It's shitty. But ultimately no one's going to do anything. There'll be some complaining and hashtags for a few weeks then everyone's still gonna buy a Switch and whatever big new game drops.

Edit: Copyright lawyer and FGC commentator Ultradavid claims it's within Nintendo's rights to do this, despite being shitty.

OP
OP
Soulflarz

Soulflarz

Oct 25, 2017
I know emulation itself is legal. I'm saying that most people don't use emulation in the legal way and thus it makes sense that Nintendo takes issue with it.
I get what you're saying but unless as a company you want to die on the hill everyone using slippis a pirate, thats a trash corporate stance >_>

WindUp

Oct 30, 2017
You gonna fight them in court? Be my guest.
No - I'm confused as to where you got the idea that I was interested in that. I'm simply pointing out that this is different, and more anti-consumer, than something like disallowing a mod like Project M.

As for the UltraDavid thing, he's 100% right about shutting down the tournament. They could have just said "We don't like this" and as the IP holder that would be legal haha (I think?).

Elfforkusu

Oct 25, 2017
They sponsor GDQ and GDQ doesn't profit off of their software so most likely not.
They used to sponsor TBH, the only reason that tourney was going to be online is covid.

Melee community doesn't really profit either, it's break even at best.

I could see GDQ getting grandfathered in, *maybe*, but that's entirely inconsistent with their public arguments. Slippi is an emulator mod, not a rom hack. When they go after melee+slippi the "legal" argument is that emulation is what they have a problem with.

As noted elsewhere, the legal basis for streaming games is so shaky (and so poorly defended -- nobody has stepped up) that it's probably within their legal right to shut down any stream for literally any reason, frivolous or no

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
Ah Nintendo made a statement. And it makes sense. This was never about slippi being a mod or whatever. It was always about emulation which is a thorn in Nintendo's side.

I can sort of see how it's connected like spider webs. It's not even a hard reach with anything emulation related, even if it's emulating the network functionality using Nintendo assets.

Probably better as a new thread, since it's unrelated to the Big House.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Jesus that statement is awful, it completely misrepresents the situation.

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
User Banned (5 days): inflammatory comparison
just wanna say "it's within their legal rights" is the same BS Rudy is using to spread the voter fraud shit. just because nintendo "can" doesn't mean they should, or that you should just support them