• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

best MGS1 experience

• Original

Votes: 355 71.1%
  • Twin snakes

Votes: 144 28.9%

• Total voters

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
You think the remake doesn't have improved graphics? Ok I just cannot argue with you, sorry... and to the post that thinks it a dark blue blurry area is somehow better that one that happen to be more green. Just nostalgic bias.

Nostalgia for a game I played two weeks after the remake... sure. Are you even reading what I wrote?

Red Ogre

Jul 19, 2019
Under the box, Madrid
You think the remake doesn't have improved graphics? Ok I just cannot argue with you, sorry...
I didn't say that.

I'm gonna have to plead ignorance on pedantic being an insult, here (english is my third language)... how is saying someone is "excessively concerned with minor details or rules" insulting? You just confirmed this stance, too, if that's all it takes for you to consider TS an "abomination", then aren't you being pedantic just going by the very definition of the word? Don't mean to offend, I'm not being disingenuous... genuinely curious about this as I had no idea pedantic is perceived as an insult or I wouldn't have used the word. It's obviously got a negative connotation to it, but I had no idea! How should I get my meaning across without using the word pedantic?
I would use "nitpicky" next time. English is my second language, but I think most people will find "pedantic" pejorative.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
Nostalgia for a game I played two weeks after the remake... sure. Are you even reading what I wrote?
Ok but you still think the original has better graphics? Fair enough, you're wrong for different reasons then.

Sorry maybe I'm being rude. Not about the difficulty or new directed cutscenes which I can respect people's opinions to disagree on, just talking about graphics here, anyone saying no eyes characters or blurry blue textures are better art direction is writing pretentously and 'hipstery'

Last edited:

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Ok but you still think the original has better graphics? You're wrong for different reasons then.

The remake has a higher polygon count. I don't think I've ever argued otherwise.

"Better graphics" outside of that cannot be measured objectively. I would say MGS1's art direction is vastly superior, though.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
What's the appeal to this game? I'm not opposed to games with clunky controls games (fan of old school RE) or stealth games (love the Siren series), but MGS1 really didn't gel with me (played the original).
It has a very good atmosphere and sense of place. If you like RE and Siren for that then MGS1 delivers a lot on that front.

Another

Banned
Oct 23, 2019
Portugal
Ok but you still think the original has better graphics? Fair enough, you're wrong for different reasons then.
Fidelity and art direction are different things, nobody would ever try to argue that the original has better fidelity but there's definitely an argument to be made for the original as far as art direction goes. I'm a big TS fan, but I much preffer the original's gritty approach to the sterile look TS goes for.

Oct 25, 2017
I definitely prefer Twin Snakes. It plays better, looks better, the cutscenes are fucking great. There's nothing in the original that I prefer other than maybe the music. People say that Twin Snakes made the game too easy, but the game wasn't that hard to begin with besides one of the last fights.
But I'm certainly in the minority.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
Fidelity and art direction are different things, nobody would ever try to argue that the original has better fidelity but there's definitely an argument to be made for the original as far as art direction goes. I'm a big TS fan, but I much preffer the original's gritty approach to the sterile look TS goes for.
There is no gritty look, that's just blurrier graphics because it's on an older console and you over thinking about the different colours and worse textures. I appreciate people have different art choices but this looks awfully silly. And the other post claimed the new character animations are not an improvement, so they were inarguably wrong.

Oct 27, 2017
There is no gritty look, that's just blurrier graphics because it's on an older console and you over thinking about the different colours and worse textures. I appreciate people have different art choices but this looks awfully silly. And the other post claimed the new character animations are not an improvement, so they were inarguably wrong.
As said before, there is a difference in the colourpalate, the artstyle, the details.

I mean damn, just look at the screenshots of the intro posted a few posts back. There is rusty metal, there is visible tiles, there are more colours. It is not blurry, infact it is crisp but pixelated. In the remake it looks very clean and "MGS2" like.

And the characters animations while more detailed look very dumb. I personally prefer the original because the art direction and the characters blend more into the overall style compared to the remake.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
As said before, there is a difference in the colourpalate, the artstyle, the details.

I mean damn, just look at the screenshots of the intro posted a few posts back. There is rusty metal, there is visible tiles, there are more colours. It is not blurry, infact it is crisp but pixelated. In the remake it looks very clean and "MGS2" like.

And the characters animations while more detailed look very dumb. I personally prefer the original because the art direction and the characters blend more into the overall style compared to the remake.
It's like someone saying they prefer San Andreas graphics over GTA V became the former has a twilight feel to it and more distinct lamp posts or whatever. I'd laugh at that rubbish and wouldn't believe them. I reckon you're just wrong if you think the characters expressions look less dumb when they don't even have eyes. C'mon.

Another

Banned
Oct 23, 2019
Portugal

It has nothing to do with blurry graphics, I've never even played the actual original PS1 MGS1 beyond the first 20 minutes, only played it over 10 years after having played TS to death on the GC and even then it was emulated and at high resolutions (have played it 3 times to completion versus 4.5 playthroughs with TS)! Go play MGS1 and Twin Snakes both at 4K or at least 1080 and you'll notice the obvious differences in lighting and texture work. Original is much darker and grittier than TS, which goes for a much cleaner and sterile look. There's no blurriness or overthinking involved, they straight up look different.

Oct 28, 2017
The Twin Snakes also loses the theme and that hurts it a ton. Outside of that, the cutscenes dont bother me, I liked Versus and Azumi.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
It has nothing to do with blurry graphics, I've never even played the actual original PS1 MGS1 beyond the first 20 minutes, only played it over 10 years after having played TS to death on the GC and even then it was emulated and at high resolutions (have played it 3 times to completion versus 4.5 playthroughs with TS)! Go play MGS1 and Twin Snakes both at 4K or at least 1080 and you'll notice the obvious differences in lighting and texture work. Original is much darker and grittier than TS, which goes for a much cleaner and sterile look. There's no blurriness or overthinking involved, they straight up look different.
You have to do all that to help convince yourself a PlayStation Metal Gear looks better than a GameCube one? Lol that is the complete opposite of "obvious" it doesn't help your point. They do look different, you're right, the GameCube one looks better in almost every way, despite all the projection, 'set them both in 4k', forgive me for not having the time.

Oct 27, 2017
It's like someone saying they prefer San Andreas graphics over GTA V became the former has a twilight feel to it and more distinct lamp posts or whatever. I'd laugh at that rubbish and wouldn't believe them. I reckon you're just wrong if you think the characters expressions look less dumb when they don't even have eyes. C'mon.
Seems to me you can't understand that sometimes art direction matters more than the graphics.

Yes, the gamecube version is "better" but that doesn't mean people who like the original style are doing so because they are blind to nostalgia. The game has a different art style. Not sure why you seem this sure that it is "loyal" when we have proven it is not.

And yes, to me the original looks less dumb because it blends well with the original artstyle. The lack of expressions add more to the sense of imagination which results into a "less is more" situation.

I don't expect you to understand this though.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
You have to do all that to help convince yourself a PlayStation Metal Gear looks better than a GameCube one? Lol that is the complete opposite of "obvious" it doesn't help your point. They do look different, you're right, the GameCube one looks better in almost every way, despite all the projection, 'set them both in 4k', forgive me for not having the time.

You don't have an actual argument it's just "a GameCube game looks better than a PS1 game, end of discussion."

Another

Banned
Oct 23, 2019
Portugal
You have to do all that to help convince yourself a PlayStation Metal Gear looks better than a GameCube one? Lol that is the complete opposite of "obvious" it doesn't help your point. They do look different, the GameCube one looks better in almost every way.
I'm starting to think you have to be trolling at this point... not only are you completely misrepresenting what I just said to you but the superior tone is completely unwarranted, especially considering your entire strategy as far as getting your point across so far seems to have solely relied on an invincible ignorance fallacy.

I don't have to do anything, I decided to replay the series back in 2015 before the release of 5 and since I had never played the original I decided it was time to finally try it out. I own the game on PSN but decided to play it on the PC because it would look and perform better. I liked it alot and decided to also replay TS before moving on to MGS2 and I immediately noticed how different they looked upon starting TS (which I hadn't played since '05), mainly the lighting, textures and colour palette. You may not agree with others that the original is better in that regard, but the idea that the differences people keep pointing out to you are figments of our imagination, especially when so many of us have no nostalgia towards the game is borderline ludicrous. I think both games have their merits but aesthetically I would say the original has the upper hand, even if only slightly. You can disagree all you want but there's no right or wrong when it comes to aesthetic preference.
Also, how exactly does running both games at the same resolution and framerate not help my point? Wouldn't that be the ideal way to compare them... in a vacuum and under the same circumstances?

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
Seems to me you can't understand that sometimes art direction matters more than the graphics.

Yes, the gamecube version is "better" but that doesn't mean people who like the original style are doing so because they are blind to nostalgia. The game has a different art style. Not sure why you seem this sure that it is "loyal" when we have proven it is not.

And yes, to me the original looks less dumb because it blends well with the original artstyle. The lack of expressions add more to the sense of imagination which results into a "less is more" situation.

I don't expect you to understand this though.
I said I understand art direction but this is just people seeing things. Perhaps not all of is due to the look of nostalgia as one poster says, but this 'the original leaves more to the imagination' as I've as heard in threads before, is nostalgic, it sounds like an excuse or romanticising that there's less they could do at the time. Yeah that's some version of nostalgia.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I said I understand art direction but this is just people seeing things. Perhaps not all of is due to the look of nostalgia as one poster says, but this 'the original leaves more to the imagination' as I've as heard is threads before, is nostalgic, it sounds like an excuse or romanticising that there's less they could do at the time. Yeah that's some version of nostalgia.

It's not about leaving details to the imagination. The original game has a more varied color palette and the use of color creates an atmosphere and vibe not present in the remake. Stop hiding behind this nostalgia BS, it's completely disingenuous.

Oct 27, 2017
I said understand art direction but this is just people seeing things. Perhaps not all of is due to the look of nostalgia as one poster says, but this 'the original leaves more to the imagination' as I've as heard is threads before, is nostalgic, it sounds like an excuse or romanticising that there's less they could do at the time. Yeah that's some version of nostalgia.
So you somehow can read my mind? I am not "seeing things". It has nothing to do with nostalgia and I prefer the look of the first game.

At the end of the day you don't like it but as proven by the countless threads, most people prefer the first game and feel it "looks better".

Oct 27, 2017
Twin Snakes is decent, but it's really obvious that the new mechanics in the MGS2 engine don't mesh with the original's design at all.

Voice acting is much better in the original too. You can tell half the cast in the TTS don't give a shit and are phoning it in (lookin' at you Jennifer Hale)

Play the original.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
It's not about leaving details to the imagination. The original game has a more varied color palette and the use of color creates an atmosphere and vibe not present in the remake. Stop hiding behind this nostalgia BS, it's completely disingenuous.
Do you think 'the old graphics lead more to the imagination' along those lines, has nothing to do with nostalgia? Or that it about them preferring character models with no eyes? Perhaps we're going in circles but to be clear, that's not art direction, that's just something lacking because of what was manageable at the time.

When I said it's made up, they accidentally agreed by mentioning their imagination fills up the gap.

You can say the blue is more atmospheric than it being more green, but what does that mean except from wriggling out adjectives next? You can do that with anything and say crappier graphics are always better if you want. Sorry mate, not trying to be superior, I need a bit of a giggle because when it's said it's grittier and different, well it just sounds like a way to glorify crappier graphics. Of Course I do think it's grittier, because it's uglier.

And indeed no amount of threads also mentioned will convince me the original does look better.

Another

Banned
Oct 23, 2019
Portugal
no amount of threads also mentioned will convince me the original does look better.

That's because neither of them looks better. TS has better fidelity, that is an unquestionable truth... which one "looks better" is a different matter entirely and completely subjective, that seems to be what you're getting hung up on. Nobody's trying to "convince" you, some people preffer the way TS looks, some preffer the way the original looks. Nobody's wrong or right.

DanteLinkX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Twin snakes all the way, most people saying mgs1 havent even played it recently, you can hardly make out whats happening on screen if you play anywhere other than a psp, a vita or some emulation on pc. Also shitload of input lag on ps3. Twin snakes is fucking awesome. And if tranq gun in fps is overpowered, I got a solution for you, dont use it.

Radd Redd

Oct 27, 2017
Twin Snakes isn't proud to be itself so it resorted to parodying action movies as opposed to stealing from them. Don't play that.
Not true. In fact TTS original cutscenes were more like the original game. Hideo Kojima didn't like it and told them to ham it up and Silicone Knights did what he asked.

Branson

Oct 27, 2017
To be fair the Metal Gear Series is directed like it wants to be a movie series.
Yeah for sure. But I meant only in the context of 1. The original is what the rest of the games in the series references. Twin Snakes isn't *bad* it's just not the thing that made the series what it is.

It's just dumb fun anyway.

deep_dish

Oct 25, 2017
When I played Twin Snakes, I would get excited as I approached areas in the game I remembered vividly for the atmosphere, tension and emotion.

and I was let down every time.

Play the original.

MoosetheMark

May 3, 2019
Voice acting is much better in the original too. You can tell half the cast in the TTS don't give a shit and are phoning it in (lookin' at you Jennifer Hale)
I'm with everyone else who thinks the PSX version looks, plays, and feels superior, but the biggest plusses for it are the voices and localization. It's not just the performances, either, although they're much better. Snake in particular, before Hayter developed his voice into a gravelly caricature, but the entire cast just feels so much more alive and urgent. Mei Ling's accent is unfortunate, but everyone else is sooo much better than in Twin Snakes.

Even more important, however, is the localization. Jeremy Blaustein famously had free reign when localizing the game, he's the one who came up with terms like "codec" and turned Kojima's script into a naturalistic Hollywood action movie in which the characters actually talked like human beings. When Kojima found out how many liberties were taken, he was pissed, and had a new localization done for Twin Snakes. It's more accurate to the letter of his original script, but it has the same weird robotic quality of the ultra-literal translations from all the other games. MGS1 had such a phenomenal and unique localization and it's a shame that it was thrown in the dumpster.

Polygon had a great article about the localization here, written by the man himself.

Last edited:

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
That's because neither of them looks better. TS has better fidelity, that is an unquestionable truth... which one "looks better" is a different matter entirely and completely subjective, that seems to be what you're getting hung up on. Nobody's trying to "convince" you, some people preffer the way TS looks, some preffer the way the original looks. Nobody's wrong or right.
But in some examples, it's not subjective when you say characters who you would like to see them act cinemactically that that they look better without eyes and barely any expressions. It's not subjective, it's nonsense and for whatever reason they can come up with.

Regardless of this again, the other poster did specifically say the amount of threads should prove and convince me, and the numbers should invalidate me about saying Twin Snakes looks better.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
Twin Snakes. Still pretty good graphics and sure it's fairly broken (especially the Gray Fox fight) but the reason most people go back to it is for the story and I have to imagine it's got a cleaned up script alongside it's awesome over the top cutscenes.

Apr 19, 2018
Twin Snakes is saddled with an inferior soundtrack, over-exaggerated sound effects, bored-sounding voice acting, and a janky framerate.

Cool cutscenes, though.

MaverickHunterAsh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Los Angeles, CA.
Lots of people will tell you The Twin Snakes is garbage and to only ever play the original, but I never understood that narrative and I'd say to take those opinions with a grain of salt. The original is a masterpiece, of course, but The Twin Snakes absolutely does not ruin it and plays + looks better to boot.

That said, some of the voice actors were replaced with inferior actors in The Twin Snakes (though not always; there's at least one actor I would say is actually an improvement over the original, but I'm biased in this case) and there are people who believe that the over-the-top quality The Twin Snakes adds to some of its cutscenes ruins the vibe. I disagree with those people, but what can you do? Still, it's a fair criticism.

TL;DR - There is no wrong way to play MGS and it's an absolute classic no matter which way you go about it. The original is a masterpiece that holds up today, and The Twin Snakes is a really good remake of that masterpiece with a few divisive changes. You can't go wrong either way, though.